• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 PlayStation Holiday Preview Event @ Toronto

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
srst said:
Were did this take place? A co-worker told me he saw Playstation booths set up on Parliament and Adelaide near where we work.

That's basically where it took place.

Guled said:
shagg_187, were you by any chance the guy in the back trench coat?

Yep :D

KongRudi said:
Just out of curiosity.. did either the green fellow or the brown fellow in jstevenson avatar look anything like him? :-/

Naa :p He is very different than what i pictured him to be. I even saw him in some of the interviews/videos but i forgot how he looks like since whenever i think of gaming rep i think of Ryan Payton. That said, JStevenson was fucking awesome. It was great talking to him about gaming, Resistance and other stuff. Thanks for making my day awesome! :D

Onix said:
So where there only like 3 black guys there or something?

Kinitari said:
Nahhh... at least like... 8. Well, 5 if you took out staff.

For some reason this made me laugh

Another question on Fallout 3, why would you not use the V.A.T.S? Is there any penalty for using it? I don't see why I wouldn't use it all the time if there are no penalties or limitations.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
AranhaHunter said:
For some reason this made me laugh

Another question on Fallout 3, why would you not use the V.A.T.S? Is there any penalty for using it? I don't see why I wouldn't use it all the time if there are no penalties or limitations.

Well similar to Fallout 1 and 2, you have action points, so you only have so many things you can do before you have to 'end your turn'. Also, it was just faster to shoot a dog in the streets old school, then popping into vats sometimes.

Kinitari said:
He said no, not off the bat at least, and MAYBE a patch in, but even then he wasn't sure. The reason being when the team decided to STOP adding content to the game and start just... tweaking it a little before Trophies were announced. At least that's what he told me. I kinda tried to see if they would be patched in, and he didn't give me a solid 'no' but he kinda just said, don't keep your hopes up.

Awww thanks for the info, that's kinda disappointing, no trophies, no buy, sorry Bethesda.

Tailzo said:
A question for Sega, shagg_187: When will we get Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! with english subtitles? I am currently playing Yakuza 2, and I liked the game so much better with the japanese voices!

Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan was released early this year in Japan. What is taking them so long?

I didn't see any rep for Sega :( Sonic was there but no rep. Sorry if this question got unanswered :(

Teknoman

Kinitari said:
I only saw Sonic from a distance, but it kinda reminded me of your run of the mill platformer, I saw some dude jumping around, grabbing rings. Hopefully someone else can elaborate more.

Fallout 3 was cool, I watched someone play the demo for QUITE a bit, the dude was on it for like 35minutes, anyway he ended up blowing Megaton Town or whatever it's called... it was for some old jerk who had a tower nearby, and the town was ruining his view. Anyhoo the dude who was showing the game then proceeded to pick up the controller, and blow the old dudes head off using V.A.T.S. Like... I mean he just blew it off. Was kinda gross.

I started from scratch and tried it out for like 10minutes... cool things.

- Containers will tell you if they're empty before you open them up, don't have to waste your time on empty containers.

- I talked to some lady in a house, she used to be a prostitute and she was telling me her story, and it seemed... well honest, not like it was toned down to be less offensive. Reminded me kind of like Bioshock, in the sense that the tone was similar. I was nice to her.

- You have your head, L and R arms and legs and torso, all playing important roles. If your head gets 'crippled' then your accuracy drops and your vision gets blurry. If you get shot in the legs your movement is restricted, arms... if I remember they can end up making you drop your weapon, or lose action points in vats (I THINK), and I forget what torso does.

The one bad thing I can say about it, is it felt like I had no real guidance... and that's probably because I just hopped in right after the scene in the vault, so I wasn't really sure where to go or what to do. But I had a feeling if I followed through with the quest that I got from interacting with that lady, I would have found some sort of... path to follow.

He said no, not off the bat at least, and MAYBE a patch in, but even then he wasn't sure. The reason being when the team decided to STOP adding content to the game and start just... tweaking it a little before Trophies were announced. At least that's what he told me. I kinda tried to see if they would be patched in, and he didn't give me a solid 'no' but he kinda just said, don't keep your hopes up.

Ah so you CAN kill that old bastard. Good.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
shagg_187 said:
I didn't see any rep for Sega :( Sonic was there but no rep. Sorry if this question got unanswered :(

Sega reps were at the Golden Axe and Valkyria Chronicles booth, a bit off from Sonic.

Guled

Resistance 2

- by far the game of the show, I was really hyped for this and it blew my expectations away
- the first level I played was the tutorial level in Iceland (or Greenland, forgot which) and what a way to start off the game.
- your making your way through this level following the Goliath trying to take it down and fight off the Chimeras
- the action was really intense with explosions all around and lots of enemies firing at you. The action kept me at the edge of my seat
- another thing that kept me at the edge of the seat is the sound, we were playing with headphones and wow, Insomniac is not joking when they talk about the emphasis they put on the sound
- at first, I was against the whole 2 weapon thing, but with the amount of action going on you will be always running out and it makes it feel more intense. I can't really explain it, but it didn't bother me at all during the gameplay
- The AI seams a lot smarter this time. I was playing on normal and they were giving me a run for my money. They seamed to work together and user cover a lot.
- The other level I played was Orick which was much more enjoyable and more intense
- At one point there was what seamed to be around 20-30 enemies rushing at me at once and jstevenson said there are moments that get more intense
- To the people who were worried about the stealth enemies being to easy to spot, I say don't worry about it. You hear them coming, but they revel themselves at the last moment. I got killed a couple of times and so did other people I saw playing the demo.
- If you liked the first Resistance you will love this one, Nov. 4th seems way to far away
- let me say this again, the sound is amazing. That and the action is so intense, shooter of the year, I think so :D The event was around 3 hours and I spent a 1/3 of it on just this game
- I was talking to jstevenson for a while and asked him some question which I got answers for. Apparently the coop mode lasts longer then single player (15 hours) and that not counting the countless hours you will take replaying it. Also, there is a weapon that we still haven't seen yet. If you have any questions just shoot them, I post my other impressions in a bit

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Strider2K99 said:
Summer 2009 for KZ2!? I hope that rep was mistaken. :|

Thanks for impressions!

Don't worry too much about that, I talked to the lady, and she doesn't know too much about the game - she seemed more like a stand-in than anything else, she was nice enough, but she couldn't tell me anything about the game. She tried it a few times, she sucked at it like Shagg did... I on the other hand rocked. Cover took a second to get used to, but it kinda... works on it's own. Hard to explain, but it didn't seem forceful, like "You're in cover mode, and now you're coming out of it" felt more like you were always half in and out of cover mode. Head shots are so awesome >.<.

Guled

Mirror's Edge - SO FUCKING AWESOME, enough said. The controls are simple, L1 jump and grab, L2 roll and slide. R1 and R2 for combat and triangle to disarm. You can get right into it and it draws you in right away. After Resistance 2, it was the game of the show

Fallout 3
- Before today I was so hyped for this, but I walked away disappointed after I played it today. The world is so big, but it looked like it was full of nothing and there is no way to travel but walk the long lonely distances. Plus the animations are horrible. I kept shooting this girl in the head and other then blood it seemed like there was no feedback. VATS seemed cool, but I can see that getting old fast and the general combat didn't look to compelling. I will still get the game but on day 1, when I can get it for cheaper

Prince of Persia - Today I was sold on this game. Plays awesome and looks just as good, plus you get the CE for no extra price if you pre order

Killzone 2 - This was a big surprise. I didn't really expect to see it there and didn't see it until the end so I didn't get to play long. It looked good and seemed to control fine, hope the beta comes to NA so I can get more time on it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm tired... Grandstaff (Bethesda Community Manager, Michigan Alum, and all around cool-guy) and I were doing demos from 11am-9pm.... LONG DAY. Just got back in from some good pub food, and have to be in a cab in six hours to the airport.

Everyone who came out was totally awesome though... had a blast and talked to a ton of folks from GAF, MyResistance and other industry folks (COD5's comm manager was there along with a couple other Treyarch peeps).

Anyways, everyone loved the game - played Mirror's Edge and it rocked. Oh yeah, and Fallout 3 rocked too... but Grandstaff caught me trying to swipe the final build to take back to LA with me. I guess he'd get in "trouble" or something. Heh.

Guled

jstevenson said:
I'm tired... Grandstaff (Bethesda Community Manager, Michigan Alum, and all around cool-guy) and I were doing demos from 11am-9pm.... LONG DAY. Just got back in from some good pub food, and have to be in a cab in six hours to the airport.

Everyone who came out was totally awesome though... had a blast and talked to a ton of folks from GAF, MyResistance and other industry folks (COD5's comm manager was there along with a couple other Treyarch peeps).

Anyways, everyone loved the game - played Mirror's Edge and it rocked. Oh yeah, and Fallout 3 rocked too... but Grandstaff caught me trying to swipe the final build to take back to LA with me. I guess he'd get in "trouble" or something. Heh.
hoped you enjoyed Toronto :D, come and visit again some time

EXGN

shagg_187 said:
Some guy asks the rep lady "Why is this game being showed? I thought this game was coming out in 2009, not this holiday." and she said "It's coming in few weeks!! Oh wait... i might be wrong. Yeah, this game is coming out Summer 2009. They are saying January but that won't happen. Summer 2009."

The fact that she got the date wrong twice(in a few weeks and Jan 09 are both wrong) gives me a little hope, but then I remembered its Killzone >_<

gstaff

AranhaHunter said:
Awww thanks for the info, that's kinda disappointing, no trophies, no buy, sorry Bethesda.

Had a lot of fun at the event. It was good to see Stevenson again and let guys play Fallout 3.

On the trophy thing, it's definitely not going to be there at launch. If we can incorporate them at a later date, we'll let everyone know.

str8-h4x

Thank you all for taking the time to post these impressions. For the longest time I was a depressed ps3 owner (played 360 almost exclusively), but now I'm really pumped for the next 6 months! Many purchases will be made during Q4!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Still getting off my high from yesterday, forgot to mention I got some time with Dead Space, well not playing it, just watching it, and it looked really cool. At first I wasn't even sure what I was watching but eventually it was made obvious to me. The environment was really creepy, I loved it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
h3ro said:
How did the PS3 port of Fallout look guys? Any framerate/texture problems?

There was -1- incident of a texture pop in, but that's all I saw in the... 45minutes I spent lurking near/sitting near/playing the game. Looks like a clean port.

Nizz

Thanks for all the impressions, guys! All these games really sound awesome. Resistance 2 is looking great. I love the amount of stuff happening all around you, pure chaos! Weird that the build of Killzone 2 was the pre-alpha build. I though they were in pre-beta stage already? Mirror's Edge looks sick, though the controls sound like I'll need some adjustment to them. Prince of Persia also looks great. As Dead Space. Damn, too many games!

goku3000 said:
any impression of Farcry 2 on ps3?
Yes. If anyone played this or at least saw it being played, what were your impressions of it?

fps fanatic said:
Yes. If anyone played this or at least saw it being played, what were your impressions of it?

That was the first game i saw. I only saw glimpse of it though and didn't play it for you could only play few games with that 2 hour and 30 minute of time limit. Looks very clean and very solid. I was blown by the visuals and didn't realize it was Far Cry 2 so i had to ask someone what game it was.

Raistlin

shagg_187 said:

Great vids shagg!!!

I can see why everyone's blowing loads for R2. I've been on a bit of a media blackout until the beta, so this is really my first taste. Holy shit, it looks incredible. The complexity, detail, variety, color (without being garish) is just amazing. Sooooooo much stuff going on at once. Plus 7.1 LPCM!

Nizz

shagg_187 said:
That was the first game i saw. I only saw glimpse of it though and didn't play it for you could only play few games with that 2 hour and 30 minute of time limit. Looks very clean and very solid. I was blown by the visuals and didn't realize it was Far Cry 2 so i had to ask someone what game it was.
Thanks, man! Appreciate it. Nobody can complain about a lack of games this year ;) Seriously, I already see a backlog of games for 2009 already. At least 5 titles I'll end up getting early next year. Could be more if I don't find work soon....

Top Bottom