• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC Performance Thread

Vitor711

But it's still better than the 720p and barely 30FPS of the console, right?

Sure, it's a shoddy port, but getting it to run at equivalent settings (high) with a locked framerate still seems much more feasible.

It shouldn't be having as many issues but I'd classify it more as a barebones port rather than a shit port (even if barley so).

antitrop

I watched TotalBiscuit's video last night and this port is just absolutely appalling. The guy has a Titan, I can't even believe it. (Not to mention the second Titan that wasn't working because the game doesn't support SLI)

Unless they can fix the the SLI issue, my GTX 590 says I won't even pick this up on a Steam sale.

Game is locked to 720p by default. It the shittiest thing You can do in any PC port.
It only happened three times and only from Japanese publishers.

And i dont know any exceptional Capcom port, sorry. I think only Lost Planet could be called something liked that, because it had additional DX10 support.

Most MT framework games have had "good ports," not always in terms of graphical options, but due to their performance.

Hasney

Capcom generally have been rather good with their PC ports in the past.

Well, mixed. Everything before GFWL was terrible, then those ports had GFWL so they weren't exactly great, but they performed well.

Hopefully this was just rushed and not indicative of what they'll be doing going forward.

It shouldn't be having as many issues but I'd classify it more as a barebones port rather than a shit port (even if barley so).

I disagree, purely because of the crashing. Until they fix that up, it's in shit port territory.

KKRT00

Most MT framework games have had "good ports," not always in terms of graphical options, but due to their performance.

Yeah, i can agree to good ports or decent, not exceptional though.
There are very few exceptional ports on PC, there are many great ports on PC, non of which really came from any Japanese publisher i'm afraid, at least i cant think of any.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can maintain a 80% 30fps with dips as low as 25 on my machine. This is at 1080p with textures at medium, shadows at medium, txaa, subsurface scattering off.

Load times are totally ridiculous as well. Sometimes it takes a minute to load a checkpoint, sometimes it takes 5 minutes.

Win7 64 12 gig
660ti
i5 3.4ghz

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not getting this unless a major patch is released. Capcom tarnished their reputation with this shoddy port. They were going good with ports of DmC, Lost Planet 3 and such. Don't know how they fucked up so bad.

heyf00L

Perhaps the game looking bad an running at 720p 30fps on Xbone had less to do with Xbone being underpowered and more to do with the devs sucking.

Stitch

Gold Member
Turning settings down doesn't do much to the performance anyway, you guys are just making the game uglier. The only thing that really gives a better performance is setting game quality to 720p. The TB Video really proved it.

Game is locked to 720p by default. It the shittiest thing You can do in any PC port.

And i dont know any exceptional Capcom port, sorry. I think only Lost Planet could be called something liked that, because it had additional DX10 support.

Err, that sounds misleading. The game is not locked to 720p. It's in the default "high" settings (which is admittedly stupid) but you are just one click away to change that in advanced settings. And if somebody is not able to do that, maybe it's a good idea to stay away from PC gaming...

Not defending this port though, it's pretty bad. The game does look nice at times and a stable 30fps in gameplay and native res are still nice improvements over the Xbone version of course. But the hardware you need for that is overkill. Fortunately no crashes for me yet at least...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is the port job done by capcom in house? Or is it another studio? It is hard to believe capcom would let this slide considering their PC ports since 2007 have been top of their class.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is the port job done by capcom in house? Or is it another studio? It is hard to believe capcom would let this slide considering their PC ports since 2007 have been top of their class.
The original developer of the game, Capcom Vancouver (Blue Castle), handled it themselves. It's a different engine and different team than their other ports.

Yeah, i can agree to good ports or decent, not exceptional though.
There are very few exceptional ports on PC, there are many great ports on PC, non of which really came from any Japanese publisher i'm afraid, at least i cant think of any.

Well, the best version of RE4 is on PC, the only version featuring gamecube version's shaders and 60 fps.

DmC is 60 fps on just about any machine, versus the console version's 30 fps.

RER runs like a dream on the PC. Heck, all of the PC ports of current gen Resident Evil games have been solid.

I can go on but the fact remains: the list for unoptimized and buggy ports of Capcom's recent console games is really, really short when compared to the list of ports that are at their worst solid and at their best really well optimized and not buggy.

The irony of calling out a Japanese developer/publisher for bad PC ports implying that Japanese devs/pubs are doing a poor job when this port was supposed handled in-house by the same western devs that produced the console version is kinda amusing, though.

Vitor711

Well, mixed. Everything before GFWL was terrible, then those ports had GFWL so they weren't exactly great, but they performed well.

Hopefully this was just rushed and not indicative of what they'll be doing going forward.

I disagree, purely because of the crashing. Until they fix that up, it's in shit port territory.

You're right there - the crashing is inexcusable.

Shame though as usually the old MT Framework ports were outstanding. Poor form Capcom.

I don't know what people were expecting. The game ran at 720p30 with noticeable drops on Xbone's 1.3TFlop GPU. 1080p60 is 4.5x as many pixels. I know it's not as simple at 4.5 x 1.3TF, but that seems to be about the level of hardware you need if you want 1080p60 with noticeable drops. It's seems like we just got a good port of a game running on a poorly optimized engine.

It's not locked to anything. With like one d-pad press to the right you change the quality level to 1080p and then Max after that. Don't be a lying weiner.

xBladeM6x

I don't know what people were expecting. The game ran at 720p30 with noticeable drops on Xbone's 1.3TFlop GPU. 1080p60 is 4.5x as many pixels. I know it's not as simple at 4.5 x 1.3TF, but that seems to be about the level of hardware you need if you want 1080p60 with noticeable drops. It's seems like we just got a good port of a game running on a poorly optimized engine.

Even if this were true, it doesn't explain the constant crash to desktop.

KKRT00

Well, the best version of RE4 is on PC, the only version featuring gamecube version's shaders and 60 fps.

DmC is 60 fps on just about any machine, versus the console version's 30 fps.

RER runs like a dream on the PC. Heck, all of the PC ports of current gen Resident Evil games have been solid.

Those are exceptional ports to You? For me those are minimum requirements for a port.

I know one thing I wasn't expecting, it crashing 4 times in less than one hour...

Renekton

Since X1 is close to HD7790-ish, and gets 720p 20fps, I wonder how do we extrapolate that to a HD7950 or GTX760.

Duxxy3

I can maintain a 80% 30fps with dips as low as 25 on my machine. This is at 1080p with textures at medium, shadows at medium, txaa, subsurface scattering off.

Load times are totally ridiculous as well. Sometimes it takes a minute to load a checkpoint, sometimes it takes 5 minutes.

Win7 64 12 gig
660ti
i5 3.4ghz

Wow. So this port is on the same level as COD Ghosts.

Carlius

Banned
Man, capcom used to make such great pc ports. remember dmc4 and re5? fucking perfect. even sf4 was very well optimized. now they just stopped caring.

Melpontro

I know one thing I wasn't expecting, it crashing 4 times in less than one hour...

If you are on an Nvidia GPU, try rolling back your drivers. I was experiencing constant crashing on the latest WHQL drivers. The game hasn't crashed on me once since I went back to 335.23.

Man, capcom used to make such great pc ports. remember dmc4 and re5? fucking perfect. even sf4 was very well optimized. now they just stopped caring.

you are basing this on one game that was ported by capcom vancouver who made the original game...

Those are exceptional ports to You? For me those are minimum requirements for a port.

yeah, i'm a weird guy where i understand how hard it is to get a game onto the PC and am grateful when the clear-cut best versions of a game are on the platform.

I guess i'm just a humble folk.

Kacho

Unbelievable. I'm so glad I held off on buying this. Capcom was doing so much better with their PC releases too. Shame.

My (aged) gaming laptop:

Intel Core i5 @2.53 GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 460M (1.5 GB VRAM)
4 GB of DDR3 RAM

I turned AA, AO and Motion Blur completely off, LoD was set to the lowest setting, Shadows to Medium, everything else to high or On.

I got between 20-30 frames in gameplay, 15-25 fps during highly crowded scenes.
Cutscenes never ran fluidly, 20 or so fps at the most, dipping to 10 fps sometimes.

But it works and is playable and that's what's important.

Thx guys

As for the performance, it takes a while to load the game at the start. The framerate fluctuates here and there. And during the cut scenes there's like these wave of lines coming on the screen.

I'll try unlocking the 30 fps lock

Nokterian

Why am i feeling like i am back in 2005? Again horrible pc ports and it's staggering it's locked at 30fps in freaking 2014. Such a shame that is happening all over again. After TB's video there not getting any money from me.

TMONSTER

G-sync on the rog swift is absolutely excellent for this game , getting anywhere form 30-60fps at 1440p with a titan and 3930k @4.4. I was also able to force 120hz with the refresh rate changing button so over 60fps will be possible with sli. Game is a vram hog using over 3gb at 1440p and on my 4k display I I saw over 5gb usage.

Vitor711

Me neither. I am definitely not getting a bone to play it either.

Honestly, the bone doesn't have much better performance on this than what people are listing for equivalent hardware. Still 720p and barely 30FPS most of the time.

Seems like the game's issues are more than just port-related.

Top Bottom