• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 off to a slow start in Japan [Update: Week 2 sales]

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
i wish i could back this game. pre-order it, import it..whatever.

but the way kamiya behaves on twitter is just so bad..no way i will buy the game.

Foffy

Banned
Wow, calm down, I was just asking. So it won't come ever, ok, I can live with that, but you don't have to bombard me like that :D

Didn't Microsoft say the same thing about Mass Effect though ?

I am not bombarding you. And in the case of Mass Effect, EA simply bought the IP. As such, they had control over it. In the case of Bayonetta 2, I believe Sega gave Nintendo full clearing to fund the game, and I imagine that came with the condition it stays on a Nintendo ecosystem.

ElTopo

Banned
I'll make a bet for total number of sales: 100-150K total.

The audience for this kind of game is not on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo has had this problem since the N64 (with very few exceptions) and mature games don't sell.

Log4Girlz

Because Id like to see what people are discussing about the sales of Bayo 2 in Japan? I have no problem with sales threads but to declare things as certain or fact is pretty ridiculous. Let alone the console warish stuff underneath. Funny thing is this stuff goes down online, but if this type of discussion was to be had irl with actual people who know this stuff, in the industry, it would be a different story. Then we will be getting educated.

We can make good guesses as to the relative success of titles in extreme situations as these. To blow people off by saying no one can know nothing at all is ridiculous. Yes, having a conversation with Iwata or Kamiya would be better than discussing it here on gaf. But seeing as how we don't have access to them, this will have to do.

mcz117chief

Irony is not your best skill.

Edit: I hope it's not reading comprehension failure though.

I am just asking what game you are looking forward to, no irony intended.

I am not bombarding you. And in the case of Mass Effect, EA simply bought the IP. As such, they had control over it. In the case of Bayonetta 2, I believe Sega gave Nintendo full clearing to fund the game, and I imagine that came with the condition it stays on a Nintendo ecosystem.

Ok, I see.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gee, I'm rather surprised considering how often I hear of Japan having such better taste in videogames. Guess they're too busy playing a FTP smart phone game.

duckroll

The audience for this kind of game is not on Nintendo consoles. Nintendo has had this problem since the N64 (with very few exceptions) and mature games don't sell.

That might be way too high. We already know that Nintendo only managed to ship about 50-60k into stores. The sell-through for the weekend was 55%, which is kinda low especially for a core game. If they have difficulty selling out the initial shipment, it is likely that retailers simply won't order more, since the second hand markets will likely be flooded with the title pretty quickly once people finish the game. That's how retail goes in Japan.

Grunkle

Banned
That's true but the first one got critical praise almost across the board and the second one is likely going to do the same.

This is not your common above average game.

That would be Devil's Third:p

Well, to me, critics are just other people with an opinion. And I very rarely consider their opinions when I am making a decision on a game purchase or even seeing a movie.

I've loved many games and movies that weren't "critically praised" and hated many that were. So critics and reviews of any kind mean very little to me.

jimi_dini

My uncle who works as a pot plant at Nintendo told me Sanyo and McDonald's are planning an Amiga port in 2015. It'll come with a bonus VHS tape with early footage of Bayonetta 3 for the PocketStation.

yUSkxGr.jpg

Lernaean

Banned

And i say that the 150k are the first full week sales on the west. What do we bet?

Brunobi02

Neo Member
At least the 360 had a controller meant for this type of game. With WiiU you have to get an additional controller to play this properly.

Feindflug

So, how long till the game is released on other platforms ? It has to happen sooner or later, right ? Maybe a year or two ?

Still, the numbers are not very surprising, I think they will try to sell the production licence to microsoft and sony so that they can get more money out of it.

i wish i could back this game. pre-order it, import it..whatever.

but the way kamiya behaves on twitter is just so bad..no way i will buy the game.

fcplmnbsyx.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Where is my Wonderful 101 Sales Thread :(

W101 sales are not good for this thread, as they put Bayo 2 sales in a totally different light. Just go with the flow.

At least the 360 had a controller meant for this type of game. With WiiU you have to get an additional controller to play this properly.

This is like announcement thread reloaded. There is something about Bayonetta that makes people not think anymore.

Hell no, just like The Wonderful 101, I will be playing this whole thing Off Tv and having no issues with it.

It's a regular controller, just wider.

Ratrat

As a reference Infamous first week sales on the PS4, and it didn't get a thread:

02./00. [PS4] Infamous: Second Son <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.05.22} (¥7.452) - 34.801 / NEW

So where are the numbers for Infamous 1&2 debuts?

imae

ibouTCTIxWMeEy.gif

You can use the GamePad just like a traditional controller, your hands are just held further apart.

Brunobi02

Neo Member
Use your brain.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This is trolling, right?

This was not meant as a troll. I could not play Ninja Gaiden 3 for too long with the WiiU tablet controller. It was too cumbersome after a while.
Be honest, don't you think the Pro pad would be much better for this type of action game? Especially after long play sessions.

Marceles

The Capcom thing is different. They actually sabotaged/undercut the GameCube version of RE4 by announcing the PS2 version (to come out a year later) before the Cube version even released. That took the wind right out of the sales of that game. So if they were upset by how the GameCube version sold they only have themselves to blame.

I meant the original RE remake's sales in Japan made them go more action based in RE4.

The comparison was for a game known for being on other consoles suddenly becoming exclusive to a console with a lower attach rate, and then being surprised it's not selling as well as they thought.

freddy

Banned
This was not meant as a troll. I could not play Ninja Gaiden 3 for too long with the WiiU tablet controller. It was too cumbersome after a while.
Be honest, don't you think the Pro pad would be much better for this type of action game? Especially after long play sessions.

Actually, I find the WiiU pad to be more natural than holding your hands so close together with a smaller controller. It has other issues with button placement that counteract that but the hands being so far apart isn't a problem for me.

Frodo

Much better? Maybe because of the battery life, but I never had any problem with long gaming sessions with the Gamepad.

imae

I will be playing with the Pro Controller, mainly because I won't have to worry about getting it charged. The GamePad does have very nice digital triggers though, as mentioned above.

The GamePad face button placement can cause discomfort for some at first I think, but after using it for a little while your hands and your mind will adapt.
When I use it these days I kind of forget that it's got a screen on it - I don't really 'feel' the bigger size anymore, it's not unfamiliar.

Kinda old since there was a Media Create thread.

But yeah, a Wii U exclusive sequel to a niche game bombed. Shocking. Though I admit, the 360 version of the original selling twice as much is pretty crazy.

Talk about setting the bar high.

How the fuck is a game that debuted to sales of roughly 200k just a few years ago "Niche"? It sold over 1 million worldwide....

How come it didn't get an international release ? You can't even get a digital version ?
Nintendo rarely does simultaneous releases for games. These tend to be reserved for Mario Kart, Mario and mainstream Zelda. Pokemon has started being added to this though.

So Bayonetta 2 is down to release schedules and not cramming everything into one month. Japan has Wii U games out in October if I'm not mistaken while America and Europe are only now getting Hyrule Warriors which Japan got in August (releasing too close to this would be the death of Bayonetta) so October release makes more sense there.

Say wasn't the wait for the first Bayonetta between Japan and others a lot longer...

Top Bottom