• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 off to a slow start in Japan [Update: Week 2 sales]

Lernaean

Banned
this a sales thread, quit your complaining already.

And you are on the sales thread of a game you don't care about because...?
Nvm, you were in the Bayo performance threads and every Bayo 2 thread just to derail it, theres little sense in even responding to your posts.

Like the consoles people bought after Bayonetta 2 was announced? Come on...

Im talking about fans of the first game.

Not to mention, the PS360 have cultivated that audience. Wet, Wolverine: Orgins, Heavenly sword, DMC4, NG2, Xblades, GOW3+A and 2 Collections, DMC collection Bullet witch, Ninja blade, DmC, NGS, LoS, LoS2, NG3+ RE and thats just off the top of my head.

Not to mention the crossover with traditional beatemups on PSN/XBLA, Musous and fighters.

The WiiU has a bad port of Razors edge, TW101 which is hardly casual friendly and Hyrule warriors.

-MB-

What about when Nintendo fans gloat over a game getting good sales, like Mario Kart? Or all the gloating Nintendo fans did last gen with the Wii sales? Is that pathetic behavior too?

Nintendo fans bring it on themselves with all the bragging they do about how perfect Nintendo is. Seems like they can dish out but they can't take it.

There is a huge difference being happy a good game gets sales then gloating over a good game bombing because u hate the idea of it being on platforms you don't support.

jimi_dini

Ico sold 85k, the budget re-print sold another 90k. Shadow of the Colossus sold 190k. The HD Remaster bundle for both games sold 100k. That's definitely not "like shit".

Does anyone know how much Sony spent on them?

Also are those numbers Japan only or worldwide?

And you are on the sales thread of a game you don't care about because...?
Nvm, you were in the Bayo performance threads and every Bayo 2 thread just to derail it, theres little sense in even responding to your posts.

I never said anything bad about the game other then thinking the graphics are not impressive. You're just extremely defensive when it comes to this game.

I swear Team ICO games sell like shit...

Like the consoles people bought after Bayonetta 2 was announced? Come on...

PS2 Shadow of the Colossus 129,492 233,074
PS2 ICO 15,940 85,005
PS3 Shadow of the Colossus + ICO HD 16,656 154,128

SoTC was pushed far more. Bayo 2 would be lucky to have a LTD that equals SoTC's first week of sales.

If yall work in the industry and know damn for sure how this stuff went down let me know. But right now all im hearing is stuff civilians talk about.

We don't need to work in the industry to be able to make educated guesses. Please think.

We know SEGA was disappointed with Bayo 1 sales and refused to greenlight a sequel. This would not be the case if it was a commercial success

We know Bayo 2 bombed and will likely sell a fraction of what the original did.
We know its budget is going to be around the same ballpark as the original since its made by the same team, has a similar dev time and scope.

Adding these together draws the conclusion that Bayo 2 will be a financial failure.

Log4Girlz

Does anyone know how much Sony spent on them?

Also are those numbers Japan only or worldwide?

I've never heard Sony come out with official numbers. So they could have cost between $5 and 35 Trillion dollars to make. We literally have no way of knowing so much as a ball park figure.

Wendler

Banned
Ico sold 85k, the budget re-print sold another 90k. Shadow of the Colossus sold 190k. The HD Remaster bundle for both games sold 100k. That's definitely not "like shit".

ICO sold like shit worldwide, though.

Bayo 2 won't sell more than Shadow of the Colossus, but I'm pretty sure it will surpass ICO worldwide.

Not that it matters or justifies sales of any of these titles anyway.

Lernaean

Banned
I never said anything bad about the game other then thinking the graphics are not impressive. You're just extremely defensive when it comes to this game.

As i said, no point at all, and your post history is open to everyone.
You keep derailing another thread.

danmaku

This is nonsense.

In the small bubble which is neogaf, where people will do anything to play their favourite games, yeah. Sometimes people forget how smaĺl this place is. Bayonetta 1 on PS3 sold more copies in its first week than there are members on the entire board. Let that sink in for a moment.

there are plenty of fans of Bayonetta that simply not prepared to pay the £200+ entry. I simply cannot hold that against them.

People who bought a Wii U for this game are super fans. We begrudgingly accept this is the only way the game was going to come out so we have done what we must to play.

Many bayonetta fans are not that dedicated. Its a cool game and may even be in their top ten lists of the generation, but for them it isnt worth buying a console for. I love saints row, but hell no would I buy a ipad air for it.

Honestly I dont think bayonetta would have been a massive success on any console but make no mistake, it is a franchise that would do better on consoles that people already own. It is not a system seller outside the extremely dedicated.

I have to agree with that. Only the super hardcore fans will buy a console to play Platinum games. Everyone else will shrug and play something else. You can't blame people for not giving Bayonetta the same value that you do. You can blame them, however, for complaining ad nauseam about the platform it runs on.

Grunkle

Banned
There is a hugve diffeencve being happy a good game gets sales then gloatign over a good game bombing because u hate the idea of it being on platforms you don't support.

See there's your problem. Not everyone will think a game is good. It's the opinion of the player whether a game is good or not. And I don't think anyone is gloating because Bayonetta 2 isn't on Playstation or Xbox. The WiiU has gotten this kind of treatment since it launched.

Atram

PS2 Shadow of the Colossus 129,492 233,074
PS2 ICO 15,940 85,005
PS3 Shadow of the Colossus + ICO HD 16,656 154,128

SoTC was pushed far more. Bayo 2 would be lucky to have a LTD that equals SoTC's first week of sales.

We don't need to work in the industry to be able to make educated guesses. Please think.

We know SEGA was disappointed with Bayo 1 sales and refused to greenlight a sequel. This would not be the case if it was a commercial success

We know Bayo 2 bombed and will likely sell a fraction of what the original did.
We know its budget is going to be around the same ballpark as the original since its made by the same team, has a similar dev time and scope.

Adding these together draws the conclusion that Bayo 2 will be a financial failure.

The Engine is the same, i don´t think B2 was in the same region as B1. There was no need to begin this Game from the scratch...

Oh yes you do, how can anyone take what yall saying as serious? Where are your credentials? If you applied for a job in the industry analyzing sales and on your resume you put Neogaf NPD threads, you think anybody gonna take you seriously? And like I said before relax with the, "please think" shit I aint insulting you.

This is nonsense.

In the small bubble which is neogaf, where people will do anything to play their favourite games, yeah. Sometimes people forget how smaĺl this place is. Bayonetta 1 on PS3 sold more copies in its first week than there are members on the entire board. Let that sink in for a moment.

there are plenty of fans of Bayonetta that simply not prepared to pay the £200+ entry. I simply cannot hold that against them.

People who bought a Wii U for this game are super fans. We begrudgingly accept this is the only way the game was going to come out so we have done what we must to play.

Many bayonetta fans are not that dedicated. Its a cool game and may even be in their top ten lists of the generation, but for them it isnt worth buying a console for. I love saints row, but hell no would I buy a ipad air for it.

Honestly I dont think bayonetta would have been a massive success on any console but make no mistake, it is a franchise that would do better on consoles that people already own. It is not a system seller outside the extremely dedicated.

Truth.

I was under the impression that the LTD for both games was low.
More than happy to be proved wrong, I love both of them!

Log4Girlz

Oh yes you do, how can anyone take what yall saying as serious? Where are your credentials? If you applied for a job in the industry analyzing sales and on your resume you put Neogaf NPD threads, you think anybody gonna take you seriously? And like I said before relax with the, "please think" shit I aint insulting you.

If you have such an issue with people discussing sales and the ramifications of said sales, what are you doing here?

lupinko

I have a Japanese Wii U, and no interest in the game.

I'm sure it's very well made, but Platinum games aren't for me.

Regardless, I hope it sells well. Perhaps a game could go on sale once in a while? It's what, 7000 yen? (Or on the eShop maybe?)

I've seen it cheapest at Yamada Labi, every other place has it for ¥7900 or higher like Yodobashi.

mcz117chief

So, how long till the game is released on other platforms ? It has to happen sooner or later, right ? Maybe a year or two ?

Still, the numbers are not very surprising, I think they will try to sell the production licence to microsoft and sony so that they can get more money out of it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wow, I didn't even realized that there is a thread about this. Is this a habit for every low selling game on Japanese market? And so many people passionate about Bayonetta.

Since it was announced that Nintendo picked it up from the garbage can most of the people have said that it will bomb. Most of the people in the Media Create thread estimated about 20k for the first week. There is a Operation Platinum going on to get it to 1 mio. because no one believe(d) it would reach that by itself anyhow. And it probably won't. But Bayonetta 2 being a bomb won't heal the salty tears of many around here. The only thing that will do it will make sure that there won't be a Bayonetta 3.

Meanwhile the game of the year will arrive at my house in less than a month in that beautiful First Print edition. As a warm-up for that I will enjoy the review thread with another round of salt.

So, how long till the game is released on other platforms ? It has to happen sooner or later, right ? Maybe a year or two ?

Still, the numbers are not very surprising, I think they will try to sell the production licence to microsoft and sony so that they can get more money out of it.

Yeah, probably in a year or two when Nintendo goes third party and starts publishing games on other platforms. I'm looking forward to the iOS version myself, since Nintendo will be the king of mobile.

Vagabundo

Even if the game wasn't nearly as good or compelling???

If bayo doesn't appeal then it irrelevant if it is good or not. Obviously people want games that appeal to them to be made.

I have more then enough to play so I'm happy that Nintendo funded it so others can have it, but others might not be so generous.

duckroll

Probably never? Nintendo published the game, I'm sure they'll rather eat the loss than to publish a game on other platforms?

facepalms.png

Taker666

Possibly....if the upcoming Nintendo OS has its roots in the Wii U then there's always a chance we'll see it ported to Nintendo's next handheld.

Foffy

Banned

Considering how Nintendo has funded the game, the only other platform you'd ever get it on is PC, but that's when/if Dolphin gets solid Wii U emulation support.

That appears to be your only bet.

mcz117chief

Meanwhile the game of the year will arrive at my house in less than a month in that beautiful First Print edition. As a warm-up for that I will enjoy the review thread with another round of salt.

which game would that be ? Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within or something else ?

Not really. I think it would be better if the game didn't exist and Nintendo invested its money in a game that would be more successful for them.

Yep, because Bayonetta 2 existing has stopped Nintendo developing other games. They sure are lucky Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon etc are all appearing ex nihlo.

Grunkle

Banned
Even if the game wasn't nearly as good or compelling???

Like I said before, whether a game is good or not is up to the player. What you think is a good game may not be a good game to me and vice versa.

Yep, because Bayonetta 2 existing has stopped Nintendo developing other games. They sure are lucky Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon etc are all appearing ex nihlo.

Bayonetta 2 is made by a 3rd party and was moneyhatted by Nintendo. Mario Kart, Smash and Splatoon are first party developed games. There's a big difference there.

Frodo

Wow, I didn't even realized that there is a thread about this. Is this a habit for every low selling game on Japanese market? And so many people passionate about Bayonetta.

Since it was announced that Nintendo picked it up from the garbage can most of the people have said that it will bomb. Most of the people in the Media Create thread estimated about 20k for the first week. There is a Operation Platinum going on to get it to 1 mio. because no one believe(d) it would reach that by itself anyhow. And it probably won't. But Bayonetta 2 being a bomb won't heal the salty tears of many around here. The only thing that will do it will make sure that there won't be a Bayonetta 3.

As a reference Infamous first week sales on the PS4, and it didn't get a thread:

02./00. [PS4] Infamous: Second Son <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.05.22} (¥7.452) - 34.801 / NEW

Did you not read the OP?

Please think was not meant as an insult. I apologise if you feel insulted but I meant it literally. Like seriously.

If you have such an issue with people discussing sales and the ramifications of said sales, what are you doing here?
Because Id like to see what people are discussing about the sales of Bayo 2 in Japan? I have no problem with sales threads but to declare things as certain or fact is pretty ridiculous. Let alone the console warish stuff underneath. Funny thing is this stuff goes down online, but if this type of discussion was to be had irl with actual people who know this stuff, in the industry, it would be a different story. Then we will be getting educated.

mcz117chief

Unlikely. It would need Nintendo's blessing.

Yeah, probably in a year or two when Nintendo goes third party and starts publishing games on other platforms. I'm looking forward to the iOS version myself, since Nintendo will be the king of mobile.

Probably never? Nintendo published the game, I'm sure they'll rather eat the loss than to publish a game on other platforms?

I don't believe there is a Wii U emulator yet.

Possibly....if the upcoming Nintendo OS has its roots in the Wii U then there's always a chance we'll see it ported to Nintendo's next handheld.

Considering how Nintendo has funded the game, the only other platform you'd ever get it on is PC, but that's when/if Dolphin gets solid Wii U emulation support.

That appears to be your only bet.

Wow, calm down, I was just asking. So it won't come ever, ok, I can live with that, but you don't have to bombard me like that :D

Didn't Microsoft say the same thing about Mass Effect though ?

My uncle who works as a pot plant at Nintendo told me Sanyo and McDonald's are planning an Amiga port in 2015. It'll come with a bonus VHS tape with early footage of Bayonetta 3 for the PocketStation.

Like I said before, whether a game is good or not is up to the player. What you think is a good game may not be a good game to me and vice versa.

That's true but the first one got critical praise almost across the board and the second one is likely going to do the same.

This is not your common above average game.

That would be Devil's Third:p

Top Bottom