• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 off to a slow start in Japan [Update: Week 2 sales]

jimi_dini

Kamiya was actually on twitter earlier trying to explain to a Japanese dude who accused him of betraying Bayo1 fans that Nintendo was the only publisher willing to fund Bayo2

RbPVlsr.jpg

Case closed.

As I said, we as consumers know next to nothing of what happens behind the scenes.

"Nintendo was the only one willing to fund Bayo 2"

You see, there are several ways I can interpret this sentence:
1. Sega did not want to fund Bayo 2. Nintendo does. Ergo Nintendo was the only one who was willing to fund Bayo 2.
2. Platinum pitched the game to several game companies and Nintendo was the one who accepted it first.
3. Platinum tried everything they could to get Bayo2 off the ground and only Nintendo accepted their offer.

The way I see it, interpretation #3 is the one that is technically correct. Seeing as to how we have no solid evidence that proves that Nintendo is the sole company willing to fund Bayo2, claims of "Bayonetta would not have existed without Nintendo" is nothing but baseless speculation and should be avoided.

who is "we"

Bayonetta 2 threads are always so terrible. It's sad that most people in here don't even care about the game. This thread has more views and replies in one day than any Bayo thread in the past few months. People don't care about the game, just about console wars. What a shame, since it's looks like an incredible game.

I see where you are coming from. It's disappointing people put more relevance into their "system preference" than the actual games themselves. The reality is, away from the "safe anonymity" of the internet, no one gives a shit who prefers what. Why should they?

Well, it seems that guy doesn't have a clue what the audience actually is and what it wants. That's why Dark Souls 2 is as casualized, bad and broken as it is. Sadly.

After buying the Japanese DS2 LE and getting that disappointed, I would never buy DS3, especially not day 1. Exclusive or not.

While I agree that DKS2 was a disappointment the point is he, FROM and pretty much every other third party realise that the WiiU's ecosystem is not one attuned to their games.

Im just saying, it was an example chill dude. Sorry I said something so disturbing.

Do you write things without thinking?

I mean there has to be some kind of thought process and I was simply pointing out how incorrect said thought process was.

Lernaean

Banned
Bayonetta 2 threads are always so terrible. It's sad that most people in here don't even care about the game. This thread has more views and replies in one day than any Bayo thread in the past few months. People don't care about the game, just about console wars. What a shame, since it's looks like an incredible game.

I agree and i've been saying the same since the first meltdowns started. They obviously don't care about the game, it's all console wars talk.

Nohar

The sad part is that you are probably right...

While I agree that DKS2 was a disappointment the point is he, FROM and pretty much every other third party realise that the WiiU's ecosystem is not one attuned to their games.

Do you write things without thinking?

I mean there has to be some kind of thought process and I was simply pointing out how incorrect said thought process was.
You can relax with all that, like I said it was an example
You're right. Nintendo is obviously going to rake it in. Modern game software projects that ultimately sell incredibly poorly are clearly where the money is.
I mean if you can show and explain how much money, type of contracts and stuff that was used in this deal I would read it. But I doubt it. Just speculating and guessing like everyone else.

jimi_dini

Yes, situation is almost like the situation on Wii. Sure, Wii got a few half-assed attempts by the larger publishers/developers, but nothing more.

Afaik FROM for example only made Tenchu 4 for Wii and nothing else. Wait, it was even just published by them in Japan. Hell, there were 3 games published or developed by FROM for Gamecube. That's laughable and makes no sense from a financial standpoint.

SmokyDave

I see where you are coming from. It's disappointing people put more relevance into their "system preference" than the actual games themselves. The reality is, away from the "safe anonymity" of the internet, no one gives a shit who prefers what. Why should they?
What does that even mean?!

Honestly, I get the feeling some of you feel like PS4 / XBone owners were somehow obliged to buy a game for a system they didn't own.

Grunkle

Banned
All this gloating over a game bombing is just pathetic behaviour.

What about when Nintendo fans gloat over a game getting good sales, like Mario Kart? Or all the gloating Nintendo fans did last gen with the Wii sales? Is that pathetic behavior too?

Nintendo fans bring it on themselves with all the bragging they do about how perfect Nintendo is. Seems like they can dish out but they can't take it.

The_Dude

What about when Nintendo fans gloat over a game getting good sales, like Mario Kart? Or all the gloating Nintendo fans did last gen with the Wii sales? Is that pathetic behavior too?

Nintendo fans bring it on themselves with all the bragging they do about how perfect Nintendo is. Seems like they can dish out but they can't take it.
Yep, there's no difference at all between being happy something you like is selling well and being happy something you have no interest in is doing poorly.

Atram

i wished that Bayo 2 was on PS4One, only to avoid the sensless discussions in every Thread about this Game.

Everyone that loves Bayonetta 2 can now play it, there are so many ways to lend a WiiU or buy one cheap.

The fact is, only Nintendo was willing to fund/publish this Game, everything else dosn´t matter. I mean for Sony it seams more productive to fund Vapoware like TLG or Team Ico Games that never have huge success than Bayonetta 2.

It´s time to get over it and looking foreward.

You can relax with all that, like I said it was an example

I mean if you can show and explain how much money, type of contracts and stuff that was used in this deal I would read it. But I doubt it. Just speculating and guessing like everyone else.

Nah an example implies it being possible.....its less of an example and more like wishful thinking.

Educated guesses, how do they work?

don;t you know man......no one knows anything lol

freddy

Banned

If you're caught up reacting to Nintendo fans because they brag a lot you're so deep in system wars you can't smell the shit you're swimming in.

Nohar

... Words fail me. I don't even... What?

urfe

I have a Japanese Wii U, and no interest in the game.

I'm sure it's very well made, but Platinum games aren't for me.

Regardless, I hope it sells well. Perhaps a game could go on sale once in a while? It's what, 7000 yen? (Or on the eShop maybe?)

Show me where the nintendo fans touched you.

What does that even mean?!

Honestly, I get the feeling some of you feel like PS4 / XBone owners were somehow obliged to buy a game for a system they didn't own.

Oh please, you can tell people aren't interested in the game when you only ever see them post about it when it's about bad sales resulting from exclusivity or technical inferiority because of the platform. I mean, I haven't seen you post in any Bayo 2 thread before this one, and what was your post? "It would have done better on Vita." Childish console wars that's all it is.

Ratrat

I have a Japanese Wii U, and no interest in the game.

I'm sure it's very well made, but Platinum games aren't for me.

Regardless, I hope it sells well. Perhaps a game could go on sale once in a while? It's what, 7000 yen? (Or on the eShop maybe?)

I'm sure you'll see them in the bargain bin in a month or two.Third party games on Nintendo platforms have the worst resell value.

Oh please, you can tell people aren't interested in the game when you only ever see them post about it when it's about bad sales resulting from exclusivity or technical inferiority because of the platform.
I think you're getting mixed up with Monster Hunter threads? Do you remember the Bayonetta 2 on Wii U thread? Twas huge. If it was just about console wars why would PS4/XBONE fans care enough to harass the small developers of this niche game on failed system?

AllenShrz

So what are Japanese Wii gamers playing? How can they overlook this masterpiece?

The target demographics of the Wii U here in Japan are kids, and they are more interested on the 3ds and youkai watch, not a game where the the protagonist is a sexually heavy character.

The target demographics who are could be interested in Bayo are teens and young adults but they don't care about the Wii U.

For me, I might pick it up.... once it gets to the bargain bin., but I'm not paying 8000¥ for bayo when they are other options out there.

SmokyDave

Oh please, you can tell people aren't interested in the game when you only ever see them post about it when it's about bad sales resulting from exclusivity or technical inferiority because of the platform. I mean, I haven't seen you post in any Bayo 2 thread before this one, and what was your post? "It would have done better on Vita." Childish console wars that's all it is.
This is a sales thread. I have a relevant interest here.

You won't see me in Bayo 2 gameplay threads because I am unable to experience the gameplay.

That is exactly how it should be.

Piccoro

Yeah, as other pointed out, if Bayo 2 came out on other consoles I don't think the numbers would be much different.
It's better to have low sales than to not exist at all, IMO.

i wished that Bayo 2 was on PS4One, only to avoid the sensless discussions in every Thread about this Game.

Everyone that loves Bayonetta 2 can now play it, there are so many ways to lend a WiiU or buy one cheap.

The fact is, only Nintendo was willing to fund/publish this Game, everything else dosn´t matter. I mean for Sony it seams more productive to fund Vapoware like TLG or Team Ico Games that never have huge success than Bayonetta 2.

It´s time to get over it and looking foreward.

I can guarantee you that when TLG does come out it will see better than Bayo 2. Team ICO games are funded and treated with high regard due to their caliber.....I mean the team previously made SoTC and ICO some of the greatest PS games ever. Would not be surprised at all if they got special treatment from Sony.

wow just wow

that's it. I'm outta here

also smh @ Daves neverending parade of obscure replies in WiiU games threads

This is a sales thread. I have a relevant interest here.

what exactly is your interest here?

Lernaean

Banned

First of all, all that talk about 'X Platform fans' is stupid. I fail to understand how people could be fans of HW, gamers, by definition, are fans of SW.
With that clear, your attitude is not only wrong. It's the exact thing i hate the most regarding human behavior. Celebrating about something you like that also performed good is natural. Celebrating because something you don't like underperforms is not, and i mean not at all.
There is an old saying where i come from. It says that if you want to be better than your neighbor, you should breed fine cattle, not celebrate that your neighbor's cattle died.
I hope you can see the difference.

iMerc

As I said, we as consumers know next to nothing of what happens behind the scenes.

"Nintendo was the only one willing to fund Bayo 2"

You see, there are several ways I can interpret this sentence:
1. Sega did not want to fund Bayo 2. Nintendo does. Ergo Nintendo was the only one who was willing to fund Bayo 2.
2. Platinum pitched the game to several game companies and Nintendo was the one who accepted it first.
3. Platinum tried everything they could to get Bayo2 off the ground and only Nintendo accepted their offer.

The way I see it, interpretation #3 is the one that is technically correct. Seeing as to how we have no solid evidence that proves that Nintendo is the sole company willing to fund Bayo2, claims of "Bayonetta would not have existed without Nintendo" is nothing but baseless speculation and should be avoided.

why should it be avoided?
the developers behind the game, themselves, said this game wouldn't exist without nintendo. in plain english.
how is this NOT enough of a justification to go with the idea that nintendo were the only ones willing to pony up the money needed to fund this games development, and thus, yes, save it from oblivion?

Sega cancelled the game. this is well known. nintendo picked up out of the rubbish pit, so to speak. this is also well known.
i'm trying to figure out your intention here….
what's the point in the alternative you're trying to push?

there is sufficient articles & quotes from key parties involved in the development of this game, as well as twitter posts from the developers THEMSELVES that more than suggest this game wouldn't have existed without nintendo.
on the contrary, there is NO evidence to sport the silly claim/implication that nintendo somehow 'outbid' other interested parties, or that the game would still be in development without them.

as a result your claim actually comes across as 'two-faced' & 'ironic' seeing as you're questioning people for accepting that nintendo saved this game from the rubbish heap, with supportive evidence to boot, while at the same time, championing the idea of a complete 'opposite case' scenario without a single shred of evidence to back that up, whatsoever.

Atram

I can guarantee you that when TLG does come out it will see batter than Bayo 2.

That was a dramatic example, but the direction is right. Team Ico Games are not famous because of the good sales...and they never wil be because of the same reason like Bayonetta.

They are to special...but this thread is not about the Sales about Vapoware.

My problem with most Bayonetta 2 threads is that people """"seem"""" to love the franchise and want it to succeed but they never put their money where their mouth is. It is always about blaming Wii U users who do not buy anything (not even Nintendo games that are not Mario Kart). I'm not expecting everyone to buy a Wii U because of the game but let us remember that the game is out there for everyone to buy, so if you care about the franchise you should buy it and stop complaining and blaming the Wii U for it's lack of commercial success. It is an easy way to take yourself out of the line and pretend you are not also part of the problem.

It is very sad that sales have become the most important thing nowadays. We are in the arguably most important video game forum in existence today, so it is easy to assume most people here would be considered "hardcore gamers" (as much as I hate the expression), and yet a huge chunk of it refuses to support the game because of it's Wii U exclusivity when it is the exclusivity the reason that the game exists in the first place. As a gamer I want to support the companies that give me the products that I want. Platinum Games is one of them (luckily for me Nintendo is too so I already have a Wii U), and I want more action games like the games Platinum makes, so I'll support them regardless of the platform they are releasing their games on. I'm not interested in the platform, all I want is Platinum to stay afloat and keep producing the games I love. I'm not so sure I'll buy a X1 at this point in time, but rest assured I'll buy Scalebound when it releases. And... Yes, in a ideal world it would be great to have every game being released on every single platform, but guess what? Companies want/need money and that is how things work... So when you are blaming Wii U owners for Bayonetta's lack of commercial success, make sure to leave some space for you to blame yourself as well.

This is nonsense.

In the small bubble which is neogaf, where people will do anything to play their favourite games, yeah. Sometimes people forget how smaĺl this place is. Bayonetta 1 on PS3 sold more copies in its first week than there are members on the entire board. Let that sink in for a moment.

there are plenty of fans of Bayonetta that simply not prepared to pay the £200+ entry. I simply cannot hold that against them.

People who bought a Wii U for this game are super fans. We begrudgingly accept this is the only way the game was going to come out so we have done what we must to play.

Many bayonetta fans are not that dedicated. Its a cool game and may even be in their top ten lists of the generation, but for them it isnt worth buying a console for. I love saints row, but hell no would I buy a ipad air for it.

Honestly I dont think bayonetta would have been a massive success on any console but make no mistake, it is a franchise that would do better on consoles that people already own. It is not a system seller outside the extremely dedicated.

SmokyDave

also smh @ Daves neverending parade of obscure replies in WiiU games threads
Don't be daft. Kicking the Wii U stopped being funny once it was clear it would never get back up.

what exactly is your interest here?
I'm interested in seeing people react to the terrible sales by lashing out at anyone but the people responsible: Wii U owners.

Grunkle

Banned
If you're caught up reacting to Nintendo fans because they brag a lot you're so deep in system wars you can't smell the shit you're swimming in.

I was just trying to point out that any kind of gloating is pathetic, not only a game flopping but also the bragging over good sales. When one group is bragging about how great something is, others will gloat when something bad about them happens. It's like some people can't enjoy a game or system unless it has good sales.

I can guarantee you that when TLG does come out it will see better than Bayo 2. Team ICO games are funded and treated with high regard due to their caliber.....I mean the team previously made SoTC and ICO some of the greatest PS games ever. Would not be surprised at all if they got special treatment from Sony.

I swear Team ICO games sell like shit...

Honestly I dont think bayonetta would have been a massive success on any console but make no mistake, it is a franchise that would do better on consoles that people already own. It is not a system seller outside the extremely dedicated.

Like the consoles people bought after Bayonetta 2 was announced? Come on...

Nah an example implies it being possible.....its less of an example and more like wishful thinking.

If Sqex is willing to make Tomb Raider (timed) exclusive, then I wouldn't be so sure that Bandai/Namco would not take money for an exclusive/timed exclusive Souls game.

And Nintendo certainly has the money, and other offers, like using their IPs or cooperation on an IP.

And then the good Mr. Miyazaki would have to do as he is told.

So stop stating your opinion and wishes as fact, and accusing others of wishful thinking and insult them by telling them to think first.

Sad numbers... even more sad that this was expected... I guess platinum are going to be ok, they got the Budget to make the game, and I hope Nintendo was aware that this funding won't get even...

Top Bottom