• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

Walshicus

Youtube really wants to lose it's crown as the go to place for videos. The place is getting worse and worse. It's the perfect time for another website to swoop in. Too bad it won't happen.

People just need to host their videos elsewhere. It's not like it isn't trivial for viewers to type in another URL.

Biker19

Banned
Youtube really wants to lose it's crown as the go to place for videos. The place is getting worse and worse. It's the perfect time for another website to swoop in. Too bad it won't happen.

Oh, it'll happen. One day, they'll be another video hosting service that'll be just as good as Youtube, & Youtube will start going the way of MySpace & Digg in popularity.

Oh, it'll happen. One day, they'll be another video hosting service that'll be just as good as Youtube, & Youtube will start going the way of MySpace & Digg in popularity.

Vimeo is the next best place for stuff like this, I actually like them a lot better and they're wholly independent. Though they no longer allow them do to length. I think people at NeoGAF should start up a video upload place just for video games. Call it GamerTube or something that has streaming and youplay videos.

ItIsOkBro

I feel like either me or some people aren't understanding what's going on. These content ID matches are (for the most part) preventing personal monetization...right?

As you see here the video is still available and playable.

5cb12da1c0b8f91d697ef603de40e770.png

Why is there talk of relocating to different sites?

I feel like either me or some people aren't understanding what's going on. These content ID matches are (for the most part) preventing personal monetization...right?

Yes that's what's going on, but it's more like a first step of a more important change that will end in January 2014. This article explains some of its aspects.

People not monetizing their content = for them, nothing new is going on at the moment. You can still post almost whatever video game footage you want.

atomsk

Party Pooper

As you see here the video is still available and playable.

Why is there talk of relocating to different sites?

And do you think that money should go to some random magazine and BAFTA?

Is Pewdiepie effected? Oh god I hope so.

I'm so glad Ghostrobo got it. I seriously hate that kid. I hate any gaming channel on YouTube that acts like a dick and uses this as a argument "Well that view you just gave me earned me money". He along with most other channels also use thumbnails that are the most likely to get views so they get more money. Way to act like a greedy ass, now it's coming back to bite them. Hell, he's already saying how if he stops making money he'll find other ways to make money like vlogs and donatations. Pathetic, of course he's not exactly saying that but that's definitely what seems like he's implying.

Also, any person that says "Please like & subscribe" pretty much guarantees that I'll dislike their video and stop watching them. If people like your videos then they'll subscribe, begging just makes you look pathertic.

I'm honestly quite happy this happened. I really hate gaming channels and how pathetic they are, "Please like & subscribe, also donate to me pretty please". It just makes my skin crawl, what a way to abuse your fan base and it just goes to show how much the masses are sheep and eat it up.

These people don't care about their fanbase. I honestly feel like if a person like Pewdiepie stopped earning money through these videos he'd stop making them. They only care about money, hence why they beg people to subscribe and donate, and also use rediculous thumbnails to get views and make a ton of money. Like how Pewdiepie plays the same 5 games over and over again while pretending to be scared for the 1000th time, then proceeds to use the most ridiculous thumbnail because he knows people will click on it.

People who actually seriously try to make a living off YouTube by doing let's plays for money probably deserve this anyways. YouTube has become so plagued with 1000s of people trying to get in on the whole "let's play" thing in an attempt to make quick and easy money. How about stop being lazy and try getting a real job? Or something more original than just being the billionth gaming channel. You could argue that game news companies are no different, except they are. Their job is to inform you on games and help make you a decision if a game is worth playing or not while also helping developers sell their games, let's players are only in it for money and take advantage of their viewers by begging, using exaggerated and misleading thumbnails, and purposely acting like you just drank 10 cans of red bull.

These people are still allowed to make these videos, they just wouldn't make any money. But that's obviously not good enough for them as they're greedy and will just resort to begging to their viewers to donate money on their website and that's probably what would happen.

I'm glad this is happening. I'm tired of these million different gaming channels trying to cash in on the success of let's plays, we'll see who the people that are left still making videos without a check and no begging, those will be the ones who truly care about their fans.

/Rant

At least you didn't pussyfoot around your jealousy and stupidity like many others here.

ItIsOkBro

Because the most popular YTs actually make a living out of it? Would you stay in your current work if from tommorow you would have to work for free?

People are talking like we need to move all gaming media, monetized or not, to other sites as if Youtube is blocking all content.

If there's one thing I hate about Youtube, it's this. I remember I made a video and posted a clip of a cartoon in it, and I got copyright claim. It was from some weird Spanish site, or publisher, I'm not sure. It's like any big company can claim rights for anything to flag a video, Youtube's copyright rules is disgusting. Especially since some low users like me can't do much about it.

It really reeks to have a video you work hard on get a copyright claim from some random unknown publisher, company, etc.

If I get flagged I at least want it to be from the actual dev company, or the people who worked on it. So I can respect the claim and acknowledge it.

Lunzio

I don't care one way or the other. I would like fair use rights to remained untouched though. People that do LPs for money are not people that I want to watch anyways.

Somehow, I feel this is relevant here.
2539433-2642583531-24674.gif

If there's one thing I hate about Youtube, it's this. I remember I made a video and posted a clip of a cartoon in it, and I got copyright claim. It was from some weird Spanish site, or publisher, I'm not sure. It's like any big company can claim rights for anything to flag a video, Youtube's copyright rules is disgusting. Especially since some low users like me can't do much about it.

It really reeks to have a video you work hard on get a copyright claim from some random unknown publisher, company, etc.

If I get flagged I at least want it to be from the actual dev company, or the people who worked on it. So I can respect the claim and acknowledge it.

But you didn't have rights to upload the video to begin with. The “but it's the wrong claimant!” defense isn't something YouTube cares about. You have proof of authorization to use footage? Dispute all claims.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just a growing trend where companies are given above equal rights and privileges over that of individual users/people.

But you didn't have rights to upload the video to begin with. The “but it's the wrong claimant!” defense isn't something YouTube cares about. You have proof of authorization to use footage? Dispute all claims.

That's the thing, I wish I could. I would gladly call up or email an animation studio and ask if I can use a clip from a cartoon, but it doesn't matter if random companies flag me for it that isn't that studio. Even if I try to dispute a claim, I bet they'd take the random company's side. Mostly because their bigshots, while I'm normal everday Youtube uploader.

I know this because I tried and failed.

Are you no longer able to dispute the claim? Youtube instituted an appeals process last year to deal with bullshit claims. It may not effectively punish trolls or over-aggressive content owners, but it's a lot easier than litigating a DMCA claim.

I have a hard time imagining a youtube competitor arising without installing a system comparable to content ID. It's an easy way to placate content owners and reduce the number of actual DMCA takedown notices you have to deal with, both of which are very good things for a company trying to turn a profit. Content ID is often a bad bargain for consumers (and individual creators without the clout of a major corporation), but bear in mind that the copyright system underlying it has been getting worse and worse, so private systems built on top of that framework (for better or worse) are only going to become more common.

Just a growing trend where companies are given above equal rights and privileges over that of individual users/people.
It has nothing to do with companies. This applies to anyone willing to copyright anything. It's just happens that in this instance that a company is the one taking action.

It gives above equal rights to creators.

That's the thing, I wish I could. I would gladly call up or email an animation studio and ask if I can use a clip from a cartoon, but it doesn't matter if random companies flag me for it that isn't that studio. Even if I try to dispute a claim, I bet they'd take the random company's side. Mostly because their bigshots, while I'm normal everday Youtube uploader.

I know this because I tried and failed.

I do not understand what you are saying. If the animation company gives you proper permission to use content (i.e. some kind of proof that you can forward to YouTube), YouTube is going to dismiss the copyright strike. At most the bogus company can just reinstate its claim, which is the step inbetween, but not the last resort.

Fox Mulder

while it would be awesome to see YouTube knocked down a few pegs, the laws and publisher greed would still affect other sites worth the effort of going after.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Where have you been? Corporations are people.
Did you think I don't know that? You need to read up on the Supreme Court decision on corporate personhood in 2010. There are many who don't think this is right, but their legal options are minuscule thanks to these types of rulings.
It has nothing to do with companies. This applies to anyone willing to copyright anything. It's just happens that in this instance that a company is the one taking action.

It gives above equal rights to creators.
Because Hearst Magazine UK created The Last of Us? I'm talking about abuse of systems. None of the abuse here will be sanctioned by Google because these entities are above being questioned or scrutinized. Instead it is the users who are screwed without recourse.

I do not understand what you are saying. If the animation company gives you proper permission to use content (i.e. some kind of proof that you can forward to YouTube), YouTube is going to dismiss the copyright strike. At most the bogus company can just reinstate its claim, which is the step inbetween, but not the last resort.

I probably worded that wrong. I didn't mean I literally got the rights from the studio to use the clip, and then I got claimed. I meant I tried to counter the claim from random company and it just didn't go over well. I just got sick of the BS with it and just removed the clip.

proccor

Neo Member
People just need to host their videos elsewhere. It's not like it isn't trivial for viewers to type in another URL.

It has to do with people, both content creators and viewers, are neck deep with youtube and its functionality. Youtube is on my pc, mobile, ps3, xbox, etc... my account and subscriptions are setup and I'm used to the site and know how to navigate it. If one of the people I like goes somewhere else, but the rest stay, I'm probably not going to go out of my way to visit multiple sites to get their content. Sure, fans will do that, but as a general viewer who enjoys the content they probably won't.

I believe this might be one of the reasons why.

This entire situation reminds me of the early 2000s when the music industry got dragged kicking and screaming into the digital download age. The big record labels viewed all downloads as evil rather than trying to pre-empt and innovate new ways of delivering content to consumers.

I feel like this is going to take a few years before there's a peaceful median between game publishers and users who want to make derivative works.

I'm thankful that I don't have a large number of uploaded videos on Youtube because this is a fight that I don't wanna be in. Some sympathy, however, to those who have a stake in this.

Does this mean it will be pretty much impossible to share videos straight from Xbone or PS4 to youtube?

IF you are NOT getting money off your video game videos → you can pretty much upload whatever you want.

Some publishers don't like if you straight re-upload trailers or cutscenes, or if you upload footage before the game's release, but it's nothing new. The ongoing issue is ONLY affecting users who monetize their videos.

Orayn

Does this mean it will be pretty much impossible to share videos straight from Xbone or PS4 to youtube?

Yes, all content even tangentially related to video games is now unconditionally banned from YouTube forever. Existing videos are expected to be taken down by the end of the day, black helicopters have been dispatched to collect the ill-gotten earnings of everyone who's ever monetized this stuff, and Terminator units have been sent to the past to wipe especially important targets from history.

Cyrano

Yes, all content even tangentially related to video games is now unconditionally banned from YouTube forever. Existing videos are expected to be taken down by the end of the day, black helicopters have been dispatched to collect the ill-gotten earnings of everyone who's ever monetized this stuff, and Terminator units have been sent to the past to wipe especially important targets from history.

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Saying-Come-With-Me-If-You-Want-to-Live-Terminator-2.gif

You really have to hand it to those who managed to turn their hobby into a profitable enterprise but surely everyone would expect that at some point this would come to an end, right? This could never rationally be seen as a viable long term (10+years) career without approval of the copyright holders.
Surely you would also have a backup plan, you would be a foolin this economy in any field not to have an up to date resume and idea of where to go next with your life. Once you make the move from night/weekend hobby to full time you are taking on a lot of risk just like any other small business and should prepare for the worst accordingly.

MegamanNG

Neo Member
It's happening to me too. I've gotten multiple Content ID Claims.

Some by Nintendo, some by Capcom, some by IDOL. It's ridiculous. I hate this.

LOL the videos on that guys channel is 90% trailers. I understand why LP user are upset, but that Rajman guy shouldn't complain at all, since he basically steals the trailers from the devs/publishers and earn money on their work.

Fuck this guy. Steals content, plasters watermarks all over them, then re-uploads.

True.

It's dumb of him to complain openly like that. "Oh no, they're taking ad revenue away from me."

Cyrano

Fuck this guy. Steals content, plasters watermarks all over them, then re-uploads.
He's no worse than any of the other LPers. Unfortunately by protecting legitimate claims you will also have to protect illegitimate claims. Still, many videos that are being taken down by Youtube are videos that the content creators do give the rights to people in the press to re-post. Usually it stipulates without alterations, but there's too many videos to keep track of and actually know. I assume the content bot is just blanket taking down things and is now much less inclined to exercise caution.

MegamanNG

Neo Member
What is the problem? If you've got permission, dispute the claims. If you don't, …

But I do the games for the sake of promoting them. Nothing more. This is just giving me a reason to say I quit. I've been on YouTube for seven years and now all of it is going away.

I'm probably happy in a sense. It's high time that I retire.

But I do the games for the sake of promoting them. Nothing more. This is just giving me a reason to say I quit. I've been on YouTube for seven years and now all of it is going away.

I'm probably happy in a sense. It's high time that I retire.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. If you're not monetizing videos, the recent changes are not affecting you. Keep the videos coming up.
If you are, then you're doing it for money, not “for the sake of promoting”.

ZackGamer

Banned
He's no worse than any of the other LPers. Unfortunately by protecting legitimate claims you will also have to protect illegitimate claims. Still, many videos that are being taken down by Youtube are videos that the content creators do give the rights to people in the press to re-post. Usually it stipulates without alterations, but there's too many videos to keep track of and actually know. I assume the content bot is just blanket taking down things and is now much less inclined to exercise caution.

Yes he is. LPers actually play the game, entertain and edit and spend lots of time overall. This guys simply reuploads a trailer. If you can't tell the difference, well...

Top Bottom