• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Gaming YouTube Channels Getting 100s of Flagged Videos Continuously

KHlover

Banned
How about recording a video playing basketball when some random car drive by blasting some random music from the radio?
GEMA will prevent any German viewer from seeing it. Probaby at least the audio will be removed, if you're unlucky the video will be removed.

Shitty situation all around.

Noaksey

Neo Member
I think it depends entirely on your approach. If it's just a case of 'watch me play' then in truth that ship might of sailed. However if it's a case of 'How to', tutorials and reviews/critiques then I'd say there's scope. Ultimately I think it's about bringing added content to the experience and the more you can do that the better.

Well My channel is still new, only 48 Subscribers, I want to do more with my channel but wanted to start with making interesting gaming video's first and move from their and now this thing has happened. I was recently thinking that my boat has sailed, but I am going to Swim and catch that bloody boat should it kill me to do so!

one_kill

Well My channel is still new, only 48 Subscribers, I want to do more with my channel but wanted to start with making interesting gaming video's first and move from their and now this thing has happened. I was recently thinking that my boat has sailed, but I am going to Swim and catch that bloody boat should it kill me to do so!
Make LP videos if you want to try and get subscribers
If you get a healthy following then try producing original content

You can also do reviews, previews, and editorials as they would be considered under fair use
Just be sure to wait for YouTube to fix their system

LoveCake

People will just stop making the videos (or jut host them on other sites) the pub/dev will lose out in the long run, just how much money (percentage) does YT make off the videos people upload.

MADGAME

How about recording a video playing basketball when some random car drive by blasting some random music from the radio?

That is a better question and in my opinion, worth exploring. I believe if the song is distinguishable on the video, it would be the responsibility of the uploader to either obtain permission from the copyright holder(s) or remove/edit/censor the content.

Betty

Banned
He is not a gamer, he is a YouTube celebrity making money doing videos and marketing thumbnails which generate clicks with games being the secondary focus.

I'd say he's a gamer, he got much farther in the rage type games than other hardcore gamers and he's currently playing Dark Souls and doing a fairly decent job at it.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Make LP videos if you want to try and get subscribers
If you get a healthy following then try producing original content

You can also do reviews, previews, and editorials as they would be considered under fair use
Just be sure to wait for YouTube to fix their system

I will have to look at a massive channel rethink clearly but Gaming is who I am even if I can only share it on Twitch.tv I will carry on. I just hope people will find me there :S

And if this is about copyright content then why it has been happening for years?

That's the whole issue. It seems there have been too many abuses because being part of a “network” basically granted you a divine protection against content ID / allowed you monetization even if you did not provide strong proof. Sure some publishers clearly allow monetization of their content, but others don't.

Dunan

It really isn't. Copyright law isn't an all encompassing thing. It has specific guidelines. You're really exaggerating here.

Of course I'm exaggerating, but look at what copyright is now compared to what it was 100 years ago. And look at what companies like Disney are trying to push it into becoming.

Monetization and micropayments are easier to manage than ever. If it's easy for Joe Gamer to pick up a few pennies, think how easy it will someday be for big governments and corporations to "monetize" anything and everything, wielding copyright laws like a machete.

If it hasn't been tried already, it's going to be. And Joe Gamer will have to roll over rather than stump up hundreds of dollars just to talk to a lawyer.

Common sense might still win, but it will be debated rather than tossed out like the nonsense that anyone born before about 1920 would know that it is.

That's the whole issue. It seems there have been too many abuses because being part of a “network” basically granted you a divine protection against content ID / allowed you monetization even if you did not provide strong proof. Sure some publishers clearly allow monetization of their content, but others don't.

That still does not explain why YT goes on a massacre without warning anyone to disable ads or something. I think if a new policy take place, people must be warned first.

Orayn

That still does not explain why YT goes on a massacre without warning anyone to disable ads or something. I think if a new policy take place, people must be warned first.

Content ID is a warning, and the notifications going out are the same type as YouTube's been doing for a while now. No massacre has occurred yet.

Well, at least there's something that actually make sense. But apparently the whole thing is about monetizing, right? I can't see why these content creators wasn't warned to disable ads when the new policy took place or something? YT just fucked 'em like that?

And if this is about copyright content then why it has been happening for years?

As shown by the post above mine though, copyright laws are not consistent across all jurisdictions (although most countries are signatories of the Berne Convention).

So in the UK there is an incidental inclusion exception (lol sounds like a contradiction), but it doesn't look like there is one in Germany. Another example is the 'fair use' defence, which is much talked about with regard to this topic. The USA has it, but the UK doesn't - instead we have 'fair dealing', which is subtly different.

Content ID is a warning, and the notifications going out are the same type as YouTube's been doing for a while now. No massacre has occurred yet.

Well people certainly are trying to make it look like a massacre because they are losing ad revenue.

zakislam

It's being dubbed as a massacre because that's how it is seemingly for the big YouTube channel.

For example:

38d66b06f2a0a6e42f72772da08e064e.png

He has 5000 videos. In the 2 days since this started, he's had over 400 videos claimed, which means he makes no money from any of them. If it was a few videos I guess it's no biggie but if this carries on, he'll have the majority of his content claimed. I presume this is his full time job.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I was thinking? Am I missing something?
I was responding to the guy that responded to you. Cause I dont really think you can find "vindictive, childish or jealous" in your original post. Probably just him trying to sound "above it all" with reductionist statements.

Orayn

He has 5000 videos. In the 2 days since this started, he's had over 400 videos claimed, which means he makes no money from any of them. If it was a few videos I guess it's no biggie but if this carries on, he'll have the majority of his content claimed. I presume this is his full time job.

The other wrinkle to this is that content ID claims aren't supposed to be something that takes over your channel. If you handle them, whether by acknowledging or successfully disputing, they're supposed to happen to you less often.

The current shitstorm is a result of Google increasing the base rate of content ID checks, resetting everyone's "trust rating," and making most people in partner networks subject to the claims where they were immune before.

What's with gaf's obsession with this salt thing? Shit was played out in 2001, I've never once seen anyone else on any other website in the last decade say it. It's exclusive to these boards and it gets repeated over and over and over and over dozens upon hundreds of times a day.

Does this not get old to you guys?

Posted not even 20 seconds after what I just wrote. Good god.
So salty. You've got to stop letting shit like that bother you, man :p

Betty

Banned
It seems like with a channel like LGR the games are the main focus and the passion shows in his work, where as for example pewdiepie the channels main focus seems to be his quirks and all the other things that he does WHILST he plays the games, therefore making the games a secondary focus.

You're not entirely wrong. For example, Pewdiepie often gets sent early copies of games or peripherals which results in an early sneak peek for his audience and major free publicity for the developers, but I'd say the bolded part is true for most youtube celebrities, it's just something to differentiate themselves from the crowd.

zakislam

The other wrinkle to this is that content ID claims aren't supposed to be something that takes over your channel. If you handle them, whether by acknowledging or successfully disputing, they're supposed to happen to you less often.

The current shitstorm is a result of Google increasing the base rate of content ID checks, resetting everyone's "trust rating," and making most people in partner networks subject to the claims where they were immune before.

Basically and ultimately, this all has to do with the "affiliate" news that came out the other day? Must be related to that surely.

wildfire

Banned
Pewdipie is probably one of the most annoying human beings I have ever had the displeasure of viewing, and that is being complimentary.

Most of his video's are sold on the idea that he is genuinely afraid of what is happening on screen, overacting to the point of nausea, he has his own "bro" code which is pure cringe at best and he gets paid to talk with a pathetically childish voice and quite literally sounds like a complete idiot whilst doing it.

Entertaining? Maybe for a 10 year old child, he is a complete cancer to informative gaming discussion in my opinion and not to mention an utter buffoon.

His channel has zero value to me whatsoever and if he were to leave YouTube forever it would be a great day for gaming in general, so lets hope that this somehow prevents him from posting videos that make him money and he vanishes.

Since most of his videos are on indie games he'll continue to be successful in spite of your perverse wishes.

Mindwipe

As shown by the post above mine though, copyright laws are not consistent across all jurisdictions (although most countries are signatories of the Berne Convention).

So in the UK there is an incidental inclusion exception (lol sounds like a contradiction), but it doesn't look like there is one in Germany. Another example is the 'fair use' defence, which is much talked about with regard to this topic. The USA has it, but the UK doesn't - instead we have 'fair dealing', which is subtly different.

Fair Dealing is quite different in a lot of ways.

Effectively, the problem here is the entire concept of fair use - in the US, Fair Use is extremely badly defined in legislation. Indeed, it's deliberately vague. This has some advantages, in that people can often rush ahead and claim it in new and novel situations straight away. But it also has the massive downside that you're never quite sure if what you're doing is legal (particularily with those new situations) until you or someone doing something similar is sued and you're used to create useful precident. And precident is only useful to lawyers, really.

Most countries in Europe tend to have much more specific, limited exemptions to copyright, such as Fair Dealing for criticism and review, which gives you clarity - but what's clear is that using anything more than a small section is generally not allowed.

Ultimately, Google can't keep up with that, so that's why you end up with Content ID. But there's only one meaningful solution, and that's don't rely on a free hosting provider for your videos, which is all YouTube is. You're paying your money, and taking your choice - but free doesn't buy you much, and it's no great surprise it buys you a host willing to take no legal chances on your behalf whatsoever.

YouTube has held the development of internet video back a lot - but you can still go and host video on your own server if you put your mind to it, and if you're relying on detailed copyright exemptions and want to be able to take your own associated legal risks, you shouldn't be using a crappy third party service you have no control over.

Didn't think I'd get affected by this, but I just got a flag for a Dead Island Riptide gameplay video. Kinda weird since my other gameplay vids are okay, just not Riptide.

I'm kinda mad, but I made the video a long time ago anyways.

Is Pewdiepie effected? Oh god I hope so.

I'm so glad Ghostrobo got it. I seriously hate that kid. I hate any gaming channel on YouTube that acts like a dick and uses this as a argument "Well that view you just gave me earned me money". He along with most other channels also use thumbnails that are the most likely to get views so they get more money. Way to act like a greedy ass, now it's coming back to bite them. Hell, he's already saying how if he stops making money he'll find other ways to make money like vlogs and donatations. Pathetic, of course he's not exactly saying that but that's definitely what seems like he's implying.

Also, any person that says "Please like & subscribe" pretty much guarantees that I'll dislike their video and stop watching them. If people like your videos then they'll subscribe, begging just makes you look pathertic.

I'm honestly quite happy this happened. I really hate gaming channels and how pathetic they are, "Please like & subscribe, also donate to me pretty please". It just makes my skin crawl, what a way to abuse your fan base and it just goes to show how much the masses are sheep and eat it up.

These people don't care about their fanbase. I honestly feel like if a person like Pewdiepie stopped earning money through these videos he'd stop making them. They only care about money, hence why they beg people to subscribe and donate, and also use rediculous thumbnails to get views and make a ton of money. Like how Pewdiepie plays the same 5 games over and over again while pretending to be scared for the 1000th time, then proceeds to use the most ridiculous thumbnail because he knows people will click on it.

People who actually seriously try to make a living off YouTube by doing let's plays for money probably deserve this anyways. YouTube has become so plagued with 1000s of people trying to get in on the whole "let's play" thing in an attempt to make quick and easy money. How about stop being lazy and try getting a real job? Or something more original than just being the billionth gaming channel. You could argue that game news companies are no different, except they are. Their job is to inform you on games and help make you a decision if a game is worth playing or not while also helping developers sell their games, let's players are only in it for money and take advantage of their viewers by begging, using exaggerated and misleading thumbnails, and purposely acting like you just drank 10 cans of red bull.

These people are still allowed to make these videos, they just wouldn't make any money. But that's obviously not good enough for them as they're greedy and will just resort to begging to their viewers to donate money on their website and that's probably what would happen.

I'm glad this is happening. I'm tired of these million different gaming channels trying to cash in on the success of let's plays, we'll see who the people that are left still making videos without a check and no begging, those will be the ones who truly care about their fans.

/Rant

http://permanentnap.ytmnd.com/

Cyrano

This will probably all culminate when one of the LPers sues Youtube/Google for lost revenue. Curious as to who it will be though.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Is Pewdiepie effected? Oh god I hope so.

I'm so glad Ghostrobo got it. I seriously hate that kid. I hate any gaming channel on YouTube that acts like a dick and uses this as a argument "Well that view you just gave me earned me money". He along with most other channels also use thumbnails that are the most likely to get views so they get more money. Way to act like a greedy ass, now it's coming back to bite them. Hell, he's already saying how if he stops making money he'll find other ways to make money like vlogs and donatations. Pathetic, of course he's not exactly saying that but that's definitely what seems like he's implying.

Also, any person that says "Please like & subscribe" pretty much guarantees that I'll dislike their video and stop watching them. If people like your videos then they'll subscribe, begging just makes you look pathertic.

I'm honestly quite happy this happened. I really hate gaming channels and how pathetic they are, "Please like & subscribe, also donate to me pretty please". It just makes my skin crawl, what a way to abuse your fan base and it just goes to show how much the masses are sheep and eat it up.

These people don't care about their fanbase. I honestly feel like if a person like Pewdiepie stopped earning money through these videos he'd stop making them. They only care about money, hence why they beg people to subscribe and donate, and also use rediculous thumbnails to get views and make a ton of money. Like how Pewdiepie plays the same 5 games over and over again while pretending to be scared for the 1000th time, then proceeds to use the most ridiculous thumbnail because he knows people will click on it.

People who actually seriously try to make a living off YouTube by doing let's plays for money probably deserve this anyways. YouTube has become so plagued with 1000s of people trying to get in on the whole "let's play" thing in an attempt to make quick and easy money. How about stop being lazy and try getting a real job? Or something more original than just being the billionth gaming channel. You could argue that game news companies are no different, except they are. Their job is to inform you on games and help make you a decision if a game is worth playing or not while also helping developers sell their games, let's players are only in it for money and take advantage of their viewers by begging, using exaggerated and misleading thumbnails, and purposely acting like you just drank 10 cans of red bull.

These people are still allowed to make these videos, they just wouldn't make any money. But that's obviously not good enough for them as they're greedy and will just resort to begging to their viewers to donate money on their website and that's probably what would happen.

I'm glad this is happening. I'm tired of these million different gaming channels trying to cash in on the success of let's plays, we'll see who the people that are left still making videos without a check and no begging, those will be the ones who truly care about their fans.

/Rant

Get a grip.

James93

It's being dubbed as a massacre because that's how it is seemingly for the big YouTube channel.

For example:

It sucks but any youtuber who didn't have a rain day fund or a plan b, needs to wake up. If anyone expect they could keep this gold rush going forever, they don't understand how corporate America works. You get ignored until you make enough money, youtube now makes enough money to get the attention of the publishers. All hell was going to break loose one day, i'm just amazed they milked it out as long as they did.

Except you share to FB/Twitter and Twitch, where this shit isn't happening.

Way to come off as extremely jealous, childish and vindictive.
Personally Pewdepie doesn't affect me. He can do whatever he wants. However, his jokes are extremely disrespectful as are some of the other LPers. I could see why people would think he isn't improving the gamer image.

It sucks but any youtuber who didn't have a rain day fund or a plan b, needs to wake up. If anyone expect they could keep this gold rush going forever, they don't understand how corporate America works. You get ignored until you make enough money, youtube now makes enough money to get the attention of the publishers. All hell was going to break loose one day, i'm just amazed they milked it out as long as they did.
Yup

Mindwipe

This will probably all culminate when one of the LPers sues Youtube/Google for lost revenue. Curious as to who it will be though.

How? They've all agreed contractually to YouTube's terms and conditions, which give them free reign to do anything to videos stored on the site for any reason.

Again, if you don't like those terms, you shouldn't be hosting video on YouTube (and I would advise that you shouldn't, if at all possible).

James93

How? They've all agreed contractually to YouTube's terms and conditions, which give them free reign to do anything to videos stored on the site for any reason.

Again, if you don't like those terms, you shouldn't be hosting video on YouTube (and I would advise that you shouldn't, if at all possible).

Sueing youtube over not making on content that you don't own the copyright to. Have fun with that

Cyrano

Agreeing to a ToS does not allow you to infringe on any rights, and any law can be appealed at any time for being unconstitutional or infringing on the rights of others that would normally be subject to your Terms. A contract is not some immutable, magical thing.

If you agreed to a ToS that said that upon agreeing you forfeit all your wealth, your soul, and your firstborn child, it's obvious that a corporation cannot do this simply because you signed into a ToS agreement. The terms are nowhere near as egregious in the ToS Google provisions, but Copyright Law such as it is effectively makes everyone, yes, even you, a criminal. It is simply at the behest of the corporations whose marks you are violating that they do not arrest, charge or otherwise fine you.

There is an urgent need for Copyright reform and this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Or at least, it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back with regards to this particular form of copyright moderation (that is, remixing of copyright material is no longer something that infringes on another's original work - it is effectively an argument of whether or not digital graffiti is permissible).

Wiktor

The most obvious solution is to stick to smaller games, mostly indie and freeware ones. People watch those videos for commentary of people who make them, not for the game itself.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Looks like GameXplain got hit hard by this, which is a shame because we worked hard to assure that any videos we monetized fell under fair use rights. We also fostered a really strong relationship with Nintendo, so it's disheartening to see them hit the site like that. I think Andre still isn't sure what he is going to do moving forward, but this was very much his career, so I'm sure this whole thing is infuriating to him.

Youtube really wants to lose it's crown as the go to place for videos. The place is getting worse and worse. It's the perfect time for another website to swoop in. Too bad it won't happen.

Top Bottom