• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

subrock

I know I am way late to the party on complaining about this in all likelihood but after a frustrating night in the arena I have to ask, what the fuck is going on with the arena skill matching? I still don't have a class yet, and this is my second night playing this week but holy fuck I got shit all over tonight, like matched up with teams where I got off one shot before being killed. I would expect that after 4 hours of scores under 5 I would be matched with some easier players, but no, constant and total ownage. I'm not a rage-gamer but holy shit I wanted to twist my controller in half.

Ken

Reach BTB sucks.

Halo CE-3 BTB was awesome.

Screenshot.ashx

Temptation BTB. So good.

Ramirez

I know I am way late to the party on complaining about this in all likelihood but after a frustrating night in the arena I have to ask, what the fuck is going on with the arena skill matching? I still don't have a class yet, and this is my second night playing this week but holy fuck I got shit all over tonight, like matched up with teams where I got off one shot before being killed. I would expect that after 4 hours of scores under 5 I would be matched with some easier players, but no, constant and total ownage. I'm not a rage-gamer but holy shit I wanted to twist my controller in half.

I think you have to play something like 4-5 games per day for a week before you're placed into a division. That's how it was the last time I bothered going in there anyways.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Procrastinating an essay right now, bored.

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?
Yeah, few weeks.
What country are you posting from and what’s your current age.
United States, 19.
At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
12 or 13, Halo 2
For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
Few years
What’s your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you’re not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
Halo 3 for both
Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
12? Social Slayer? Custom games 4lyfe.
AR or BR?
AR, easy
Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).
CE:Blood Gulch, Halo 2:Midship, Halo 3:Avalanche
Least hated Reach mp map.(excluding Anniversary pack)
Reflection
Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)
BTB
Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Competitive
Games completed on solo Legendary.
Nada
Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?
Both
What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
The Covenant, night time sniper mission from Reach, ODST Hub
Favorite Reach playlists.
Zombies
Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
Opinion on reticule bloom.
Fuck it
Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
They are bad, Armor Lock.
I should feel bad
Why are you a Halo fan?
Fun times are had in it
Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite (besides Dax). (optional)
I love everyone equally, or hate them equally depending on how you view life.
Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, some of us would enjoy reading it. (optional)
I'm a cool guy and like Halo. Also, I was the warthog driver in this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eM6QMGECJs
Gamertag:Nightmare22m

FyreWulff

Since when did any playlist have 3 different pistols?

Anniversary Squad had Anniversary gametypes, TU gametypes, and Vanilla gametypes all mixed together. The gametypes were vaguely named.

I hope that with Halo 4, the playlist management is much more detailed. Just really zero in on each playlist and polish them to a shine. Reach got off to a terrible start with the launch playlists and it's been all cleanup from there, and 343's focus and resources have gone to creating the TU and Anniversary game types, maps and playlists. Now BTB Heavies is coming along, while BTB is still in poor shape.

I'll just say this: from what we know about Bungie postings in Optimatch, that was their plan. The original plan, as posted by Jeremiah on their forums, was that they'd refine the mainline lists down, and then they would have separate Community lists that would essentially beta test community variants, which would run for a week or so. The strongest variants would then be selected, any bugs fixed, then they would go into the mainline list after they proved themselves.

When the news of the transition hit, it was disclosed that they would rather have more permanent changes than burn their remaining limited time building whole "flights of fancy" lists, so their changes became less drastic as they went into "final update" mode. Community maps ended up immediately in mainline lists. And then 343 took a real long time getting the engine started again, only to have Halo 4 around the corner.

I love Reach, but I'm going to be honest. I'm a bit sour over it because it obviously paid the price for being in the middle of the divorce. I'll just leave it at that. Bungie should have ran that ship until Halo 4 came out and 343 took over.

Also, just for the record, Heavies is going to be a gametype added to one of the existing BTBs, IF it gets in.

zap

Regarding questions about Jen Taylor in Halo 4 that were posted a few pages back:
Has it been confirmed?

I would kidnap Frankie and lock him up for 15 years if this was not the case.
Except I would tell him why by looping clips of non-Taylor Cortana from Halo Legends all-day in his cell.

No, but I refuse to believe they would fuck up something like this so badly.

In the E3 trailer it really sounds like her, mostly when he exits the cryotube and she goes "John.."

Frankie confirmed it ages ago here. I'm interested to know if Steitzer is coming back. To be honest his voice is as much a part of Halo as the Chief is.

Also, Frankie, what was up with Cortana not being Jen in Legends? It's the most frustrating thing about Legends to me.

Random side-note, I never realised Jen Taylor was the voice of Princess Peach in a ton of Mario games...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jen_Taylor

Last game of the day yesterday, I was reminded of just how peerless Halo can be as an online experience. It was one of those rare things in Reach, something almost non existant in the age of the Reach's all-social playlist monolith

A 50-49 nailbiter.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=939621768&player=The Henery

Came back from 32-43. Managed to set up on our side of their cliffside crescent (how you win when blue team on Hemorrhage Snipes). Got the 50th kill. Let out a girly triumphant noise. Brilliant

Oh and

Prisoner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuht6gwWTM4&feature=g-u-u&context=G27bcde7FUAAAAAAABAA

Annnd this is why you never sidelock spawns.

Alternate answer:

This is why you release Terminal instead of Prisoner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ALaHsqwdTE

Plywood's on a Terminal promise for Halo 4.

EDIT: Actually, in your position as a community cartographer, why don't you re-work the spawns on Prisoner then? Instead of plowing time into the barely-there demand for Heavies? I'm serious, you seem to have quite a thorough knowledge of the spawn system and any improvement to the spawns on that map would be gratefully welcomed by the players of Reach.

They are trying fix the trash problem by throwing more trash within the trash. Mind Blown.
But Gabotron told me it was fun. So they have really fixed it with more trash.

Come on HaloGaf, download SSX now, so that I can thrash your score later when I'm back from uni.
I'll download it. I liked the 1080° games on N64 and GameCube, definitely going to like SSX but I won't buy it on day 1 like Syndicate and a lot of other games.

Striker

I don't know about that, I disliked vanilla Midship, The Pit, Construct, Narrows etc and MLG made them fun to play. Like Tashi said earlier about The Pit, those additions made the map for me.
There were moderate issues with default Pit, namely the bad base design which MLG fixed by adding in some boxed crates, and the god-awful attic spawns, which they blocked off. I didn't see much to help Narrows and Construct - one is so small it's badly plagued with horrendous spawns, which Halo 3 had a shit-ton of those, but it was among the worst, and the other is terribly designed.

I'm not arguing this based off weapon starts and equipment being on the map, yet, so that's why I left that out. Those were obviously hurting the quality of map as well, but it's the actual design. Plasma Rifle/SMG starts in Midship wasn't nearly as fun as Team BRs, but Midship didn't have the clear gameplay flaws those others did.

They are trying fix the trash problem by throwing more trash within the trash. Mind Blown.
I thought Jeremiah making it more flag/assault and reducing so many of those slayer variants made it a huge step in the right direction. He also removed Countdown which had zero sense in being in a BTB playlist. Adding the forge variants were a better thing, despite half them being out-right garbage. A solution to that is adding good ones, not terrible maps like Renegade.

Ever since it's been all downhill. They made it so Slayer is often showing up. They included in Stockpile so it takes less chance for something like Multi-CTF to show up, and made it so Spire and Boneyard ALWAYS show up. Plus they still have not removed Paradiso - same ol' story they've always done. Make needed changes to a map, ala Pit to Pit Stop, Snowbound to Boundless, The Cage to Uncaged, yet they keep the default map variant in regardless. I don't get it. I'm not expecting much change anytime soon here, unfortunately.

Homeboyd

Aren't we getting some audio (or audio talk) from the Halo 4 team in the bulletin tomorrow? I couldn't remember the details they shared last week of what was coming this week.

It's based on wins, and it sounds like you've won some games. You may have an inflated TrueSkill, so you're going to have to lose games for the system to extrapolate.

Aren't we getting some audio (or audio talk) from the Halo 4 team in the bulletin tomorrow? I couldn't remember the details they shared last week of what was coming this week.
Speaking of audio, can we get a Sparkcast? The most recent ones have been awesome.

It's based on wins, and it sounds like you've won some games. You may have an inflated TrueSkill, so you're going to have to lose games for the system to extrapolate.

Speaking of audio, can we get a Sparkcast? The most recent ones have been awesome.
A new Sparkast? Oh yeah! Give me a new Sparkast! I haven't annoyed David over twitter yet. But damn. The last sparkast was released two months ago. We need a new one!

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
A new Sparkast? Oh yeah! Give me a new Sparkast! I haven't annoyed David over twitter yet. But damn. The last sparkast was released two months ago. We need a new one!

Not strictly true as we counted te Peimordium excerpt as a January episode. :) We're actually planning to record a new episode later this week with a couple very special guests. Anything we should talk about?

Not strictly true as we counted te Peimordium excerpt as a January episode. :) We're actually planning to record a new episode later this week with a couple very special guests. Anything we should talk about?
inbe4"HALO 4" stuff.

Situation about Firefight, more development stories about Anniversary or a tease of the 3rd Forerunner book.

edit. ^^^ GODDAMNIT DAX! DAMN!

Anniversary Squad had Anniversary gametypes, TU gametypes, and Vanilla gametypes all mixed together. The gametypes were vaguely named.
I don't think vanilla settings were in squad, but I'll have to take your word for it since I only recently started to play anniversary squad.

It's all TU now.

TheOddOne

Does Gabe Newell look hotter with or without a beard?

Or even if beards should be mandatory in life, like going as far as making it law?

Since there will be little to reveal for Halo 4, could you please address what your plans are for the continued upkeep of Reach? The playlists have been in terrible shape for a long time now, and some words of encouragement would go a long way to entice people back to playing this game again.

Also, Firefight updates. :-|

On the bright side, me not playing Reach has opened my eyes to some good stuff. Bulletstorm is hilarious, and I think I may have to buy Rayman Origins. Got hooked on the demo last night.

FyreWulff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom