• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqorgar

Banned
Robert Ashley said:
Having a good idea is only 5% of making something like this. It's all in the execution.
"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration" - Some guy who literally stole all his ideas from other, smarter people.

I played a lot of this yesterday and I love it. I'm such a geek for TCG and having one on iPad is super cool (though I can't imagine playing it on my phone).

The UI is awful, but there's a great game underneath and I don't think GAF is giving it enough appreciation.

I started out with the standard mage deck, but now I'm rocking a sweet Elemental aggro/control hybrid that I'm loving so far. I can win either on turn 3 with a massive rush or by having my opponent run out of cards. It's very satisfying to win that way.

Anyway more people should be playing this. It's FREEmium, but you can totally get a very decent deck (or 2) without spending any money.

crazygambit said:
I played a lot of this yesterday and I love it. I'm such a geek for TCG and having one on iPad is super cool (though I can't imagine playing it on my phone).

The UI is awful, but there's a great game underneath and I don't think GAF is giving it enough appreciation.

I started out with the standard mage deck, but now I'm rocking a sweet Elemental aggro/control hybrid that I'm loving so far. I can win either on turn 3 with a massive rush or by having my opponent run out of cards. It's very satisfying to win that way.

Anyway more people should be playing this. It's FREEmium, but you can totally get a very decent deck (or 2) without spending any money.

what he said...I just d/l'd this and played the first boss...different that MtG, but still fun...there is a surprising amount of variation and cards, given its current "free" price. Have yet to play a human online, but I'm working my way up to it...everyone who enjoys MtG or TCGs in general should try it...

Dash Kappei said:
Do you guys know if iOS games leaderboards are full of cheaters? That would definetely amper my enjoyment for a good number of the games I play.

Does jailbreaking your iPhone/iPad means you can cheat on games?
I'm asking because I just don't see how is it possible to reach certain scores on some games.
For example, in the Pinball HD leaderboards there are several people with exactly the same (outrageous) scores but I thought that maybe those were still legit and just some kind of bug. Even more strange, looking at Cut The Rope - Christmas I saw that the top scores are millions ahead of mines.
How the fuck would that even be possible? I have 3 stars and shaved off every second, maybe I can still cut a couple off the total but that would make no diffefence: I'm #1 on my 40 plus friends list and I'd need 100x or more my score to reach the top on the leaderboard.
Or there is some way to score massive points that I"m not aware of?
The leaderboards for Arcade mode in Fruit Ninja have obviously been effected too, the scores are insane :( What would people here is considered a 'good score' anyway?

graywolf323

Minsc said:
I am just not as fond as demos with in-app purchasing in place of buying the game, since I believe there'll be no way to play the game if the company goes off the app-store, since when you delete apps from your device it doesn't save what you've bought inside them when you put them back on... so if you bought in-app content and their servers were gone, you'd lose it and be unable to get it back... in this case that content being the actual game.

So that means 99c tops for me.

one of the reasons I'm not that pleased with Gameloft going this way with it seems all their new games

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What I don't understand is, how come you're not allowed to for example, get someone's song lyrics into your own song for free, yet it's OK to get someone's gameplay idea/concept into your game for free. For lyrics you have to pay the license to the original author, for the other it's free for all. It's the same creative thought process that brings both kind of things into existence, yet one is treated differently. Sure, it's about the execution, but shouldn't the author of the original idea get some kind of royalty fee off of it, even if it's just a small cut?

Minsc said:
Sure, thanks! I'll check it out either way eventually (unless you're thoroughly convinced it's crap and portray it well enough to scare me away), but I wouldn't mind reading a few thoughts from someone who's not going in with their mind already made up.

I am just not as fond as demos with in-app purchasing in place of buying the game, since I believe there'll be no way to play the game if the company goes off the app-store, since when you delete apps from your device it doesn't save what you've bought inside them when you put them back on... so if you bought in-app content and their servers were gone, you'd lose it and be unable to get it back... in this case that content being the actual game.

So that means 99c tops for me.

Apple should allow to syncronize saves by default in all games (and that implies also content bought). I have a lot of big games, like Aralon, in my iPhone, that I know that I won't be playing soon, but I don't want to lose all the progress.

BTW, I want to give my money to Hunters devs!!! Come on, Apple, approve the damned game now!

graywolf323

Lord Error said:
What I don't understand is, how come you're not allowed to for example, get someone's song lyrics into your own song for free, yet it's OK to get someone's gameplay idea/concept into your game for free. For lyrics you have to pay the license to the original author, for the other it's free for all. It's the same creative thought process that brings both kind of things into existence, yet one is treated differently. Sure, it's about the execution, but shouldn't the author of the original idea get some kind of royalty fee off of it, even if it's just a small cut?

why is everyone (critical of Tiny Wings) just assuming that even Wavespark was even the first game concept to have that type of gameplay?

DangerousDave said:
Apple should allow to syncronize saves by default in all games (and that implies also content bought). I have a lot of big games, like Aralon, in my iPhone, that I know that I won't be playing soon, but I don't want to lose all the progress.

one of the reasons I ended up jailbreaking (love you AppBackup) it's ridiculous that you can't backup game saves or anything else yet

Lord Error said:
What I don't understand is, how come you're not allowed to for example, get someone's song lyrics into your own song for free, yet it's OK to get someone's gameplay idea/concept into your game for free.
Because the equivalent isn't lyrics. It's more like words. You can't say "I had the idea of putting words in a song" and then sue everyone else that uses words.

graywolf323 said:
one of the reasons I ended up jailbreaking (love you AppBackup) it's ridiculous that you can't backup game saves or anything else yet

There is a cydia app that allows to store saves? Perfect, that means that Apple will include this in the next big update, like they did with folders, backgrounds, searching, etc...

Minsc

Gold Member
DangerousDave said:
There is a cydia app that allows to store saves? Perfect, that means that Apple will include this in the next big update, like they did with folders, backgrounds, searching, etc...

This would make me very happy if it were announced as a iOS 5.0 feature next week, but I'm not expecting it. Hopefully they give GameCenter a good makeover for iOS 5.0, that's much more likely I think.

graywolf323 said:

I just installed AppBackup - wonderful thing. I understand this works for deleting apps from iPhone, not so much for factory reset, as this will also remove all jailbreak apps?

graywolf323

DangerousDave said:

even better it's a free app :) compared to PkgBackup which will backup your Cydia apps and costs $8 :|

Minsc said:
This would make me very happy if it were announced as a iOS 5.0 feature next week, but I'm not expecting it. Hopefully they give GameCenter a good makeover for iOS 5.0, that's much more likely I think.

it's probably one of the big reasons I jailbroke so I would possibly go back to regular firmware if they did

Castor Krieg said:
I just installed AppBackup - wonderful thing. I understand this works for deleting apps from iPhone, not so much for factory reset, as this will also remove all jailbreak apps?

yes but once you rejailbreak and reinstall AppBackup all your backups are still there (at least they were when I had to do this) :-D

I had backed up my backups but was pleasantly surprised to find I didn't have to copy them back over

graywolf323 said:
yes but once you rejailbreak and reinstall AppBackup all your backups are still there (at least they were when I had to do this) :-D

I had backed up my backups but was pleasantly surprised to find I didn't have to copy them back over

Ah I see, probably something to do with Apple not touching data for JB apps.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
I know this is a bit OT, but does anyone know of an app that works as a game launcher?

Ive downloaded a fair amount of games to my iPhone by now, and organizing them has started to become a rather large pain. It would be sweet if there was one app you could open that would organize all other "games" on your device and allow you to launch from there.

A few months back someone posted their GameVault app, which is a nice way to organize and rank/rate what you own, but it doesn't help you actually locate the apps on your device to play them.

Perhaps its just me and my sloppy organizational technique, but sifting through 7-8 folders full of games gets annoying when you just want to play a quick hand of Uno.

Riptwo

Flim Flam said:
I know this is a bit OT, but does anyone know of an app that works as a game launcher?

Ive downloaded a fair amount of games to my iPhone by now, and organizing them has started to become a rather large pain. It would be sweet if there was one app you could open that would organize all other "games" on your device and allow you to launch from there.

A few months back someone posted their GameVault app, which is a nice way to organize and rank/rate what you own, but it doesn't help you actually locate the apps on your device to play them.

Perhaps its just me and my sloppy organizational technique, but sifting through 7-8 folders full of games gets annoying when you just want to play a quick hand of Uno.
You could always slide left of the home screen and use spotlight!

hyp

Flim Flam said:

not to try and steer you away from what you seek, but i'm a big fan of the spotlight search. sure it requires typing, but usually two letters is all you need to find what you want.

edit: beaten!

Meier

diss said:
I hear the Tiny Wings creator sleeps nude in an oxygen tank which he believes gives him sexual powers.

In all seriousness though, no whimsy no sale. The yahooooo when the bird shoots off to the next island is worth the $1 in itself.
Haha, I never have sound on so I didn't even know he did that. I guess I'll turn it on super low.

I am still not entirely sure how to get Fever.. almost made it to Island 5 I assume but no luck. Managed 240k after the multiplier last go round though which is my best yet. What a great game!

chris121580

Meier said:
Haha, I never have sound on so I didn't even know he did that. I guess I'll turn it on super low.

I am still not entirely sure how to get Fever.. almost made it to Island 5 I assume but no luck. Managed 240k after the multiplier last go round though which is my best yet. What a great game!
3 perfect landings in a row on the slopes gives you fever and as long as you keep hitting perfect landings the fever will keep going

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
toythatkills said:
Because the equivalent isn't lyrics. It's more like words. You can't say "I had the idea of putting words in a song" and then sue everyone else that uses words.
By saying that you make it sounds that coming up with an original gameplay idea is like some kind of scam and that there's no creative process or effort whatsoever behind it. However, probably more time and effort can be spent thinking of, and prototyping an original gameplay idea, than lyrics for song. So how come that one creative mental effort is valued more than the other if someone ends up stealing it?

Tf53

toythatkills said:
I'd say it's more like the bassline. If it's good, and you build a strong package around it, nobody really notices it, but it's still the main thing that ties everything together.

To be honest, if that was me, and I had indeed taken the idea from Wavespark, I'd throw a couple of grand to the miffed fellow developer. But after having thought it through, Tiny Wings is so well designed and put together (the progression, the goals, the way a new nest gives you an incentive to play more with the increased score multiplier) that I can't be too judgmental about it.

Sh0k

Damn, so close to getting 175,000 :-(

2d8oz9u.jpg

Flim Flam said:

Something like that would be great although a bit of organisation goes a long way in mean time. I personally have 2 pages of my favourite and most played games with folders organising everything else into genre. Alternatively make some alphabetical folders. You could have one for each letter if you have alot of games or group them A-C, D-F, G-I, etc.... :)

Wanted to hold off and see where this went - clearly Tiny Wings is so successful for a reason. Time to give it a shot...

That's a lot of games! I used to have a ton but after beating some a couple times, getting sick of others and dropping some due to the way they look on retina (a bunch look truly hideous) I'm down to two almost full folders.

edit: Island 5 24888 on my first shot.

Yes, this game is incredible. The flying mechanic, the look, music, everything.

edit 2: Still fell asleep on island 5 but now 44170. I'm getting better.

Downhome

I just finally got the 34 second fever. After finally getting it I have no clue why it took me so long. The longer I play, the more I better understand the small details of the game. That is pretty amazing.

Did I really read a post suggesting the Tiny Wings dev should actually give money to the guy who did Wavespark? SERIOUSLY? Not only is the mechanic not Wavespark's to begin with, but aside from the core game mechanic of sliding on hills they are completely different. Do you think Sega or Capcom threw Nintendo "a few thousand" when they made Sonic and MegaMan? Did Microsoft and Sony throw Nintendo a few grand for Kinnect Sports and whatever the Move version is? What about Run Like Hell, did he give the Canabalt guy some dough? Good Lord, people.

lemon__fresh said:
Can we maybe take the discussion of tiny wings and idea copyright to its own thread?

Yes, it's a silly argument and it's annoying to keep seeing it in a thread that has been excellent in terms of spreading the word on great games.

I want to reiterate that Dungeon Raid is awesome. I'm sure it's been mentioned here but it's just so so good. The only problem is a recent patch has caused the game to perform a bit sluggishly on my 3GS. Does anyone have the same problem with the recent patch?

lemon__fresh said:
Can we maybe take the discussion of tiny wings and idea copyright to its own thread?
Lawyer gaf can fucking suck my left ball. Just the left ball.

Since the Sony shit started happening everyone is like omg I'm so legal and I wanna protect all and every of my treehouse play buddies from harm!

Fuck off god damn posers, fuck off

Tf53

WordAssassin said:
Did I really read a post suggesting the Tiny Wings dev should actually give money to the guy who did Wavespark? SERIOUSLY? Not only is the mechanic not Wavespark's to begin with, but aside from the core game mechanic of sliding on hills they are completely different. Do you think Sega or Capcom threw Nintendo "a few thousand" when they made Sonic and MegaMan? Did Microsoft and Sony throw Nintendo a few grand for Kinnect Sports and whatever the Move version is? What about Run Like Hell, did he give the Canabalt guy some dough? Good Lord, people.
Yes. If I had taken the core gameplay idea from another independent developer, that's what I would do. I don't claim that that's what Andreas Illiger did (or should do), just saying that if it was me (and if the idea came from Wavespark), I'd throw him a bone.

Edit: Tiny Wings patch ideas: the possibility to listen to your own music while playing, not having the game crash whenever there's a notification about low power.

whitehawk

Banned
Downhome said:
I just finally got the 34 second fever. After finally getting it I have no clue why it took me so long. The longer I play, the more I better understand the small details of the game. That is pretty amazing.
Okay, so for some one hasn't gotten the 34 second fever yet, can someone test something for me? When I got it, I had just returned to my game after going back the main iOS menu. And when I resumed the game I got the 34 second fever challenge complete.

So, can someone get into fever mode, go back to the iOS menu for 34 seconds, and then come back and see what happens?

dream

Tf53 said:
Yes. If I had taken the core gameplay idea from another independent developer, that's what I would do. I don't claim that that's what Andreas Illiger did (or should do), just saying that if it was me (and if the idea came from Wavespark), I'd throw him a bone.

How would that work? How would you decide what he should get? Should the Wavespark dude get a flat fee? Should he get a royalty? How do you put his cut on your books? Is he a consultant?

It just doesn't seem like a very practical idea.

While I post mostly in this thread and the US soccer/college football threads in OT, it is this kind of garbage in here that makes me want to quit GAF sometimes.

Should every game developer who ever made a platformer give money to Nintendo or something?

Maybe I should start a thread about the guys behind Pizza Boy and how they blantatly ripped off Mario.

Tf53

dream said:
How would that work? How would you decide what he should get? Should the Wavespark dude get a flat fee? Should he get a royalty? How do you put his cut on your books? Is he a consultant?

It just doesn't seem like a very practical idea.
Personally, I'd just pick a random sum and flip it his way. But that's just my morals. I'd like to stress that it's very hypothetical and I'm not advocating that he did indeed steal the idea.

Gamecocks625 said:
While I post mostly in this thread and the US soccer/college football threads in OT, it is this kind of garbage in here that makes me want to quit GAF sometimes.

Should every game developer who ever made a platformer give money to Nintendo or something?

Maybe I should start a thread about the guys behind Pizza Boy and how they blantatly ripped off Mario.
You're honestly comparing one independent PC developer to Nintendo? Plus it's not just that it's about hills and jumping. The three perfect slides = boost mechanism is evident in both. The two games are way more similar than, say, Mario 64 and Quake (both are in 3D, both include jumping).

Stalfos

whitehawk said:
Okay, so for some one hasn't gotten the 34 second fever yet, can someone test something for me? When I got it, I had just returned to my game after going back the main iOS menu. And when I resumed the game I got the 34 second fever challenge complete.

So, can someone get into fever mode, go back to the iOS menu for 34 seconds, and then come back and see what happens?
Just tested this out and it does seem to count fever time even when you have exited out to the iOS menu. I left it on the menu for about a minute after getting fever then went back to the game and the end stats had my fever time at around 84s. I already had the 34s fever but I would imagine that it would work for anyone that needs it.

whitehawk

Banned
Stalfos said:
Just tested this out and it does seem to count fever time even when you have exited out to the iOS menu. I left it on the menu for about a minute after getting fever then went back to the game and the end stats had my fever time at around 84s. I already had the 34s fever but I would imagine that it would work for anyone that needs it.
Interesting. I'll contact the developer and let him know about it.

Downhome

Stalfos said:

I'm so glad I did it on my own before I read about that little trick. I don't know if I could have resisted doing it since I had tried so many times to get it done before I finally got it.

taoofjord

Cromulent_Word said:
We've done our best. Glad you liked the trailer - we had a ton of fun making it :)

Hopefully that's a good thing :)

Is it meant to be a fun little distraction or is it more involved than that?

Enco

Minsc said:
This.

Messaging and game play times would be awesome.

And new notifications (in general).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom