• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YESSSS x2! AVATAR trailer #2 is NOW LIVE!!!! (mark ALL spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Really? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I watch UP. I've never seen a 3D movie before. I think the cinema I'm going to uses Dolby 3D. What's the difference between Dolby 3D, Xpand 3D and Real 3D?

Dolby 3D uses expensive glasses and can be projected on a regular screen.
RealD uses a different sort of glasses, which are cheaper and look just like sunglasses, but can only be projected on a silver reflective screen. This approach helps offset the cut down in light caused by the 3D process, though.
Xpand 3D uses the most expensive glasses of all. It uses electronic shutter glasses, which dim one eye and then the other at a very fast rate. The advantage of Xpand's approach is that the glasses do not result in any light loss. They need to be recharged often, though, or the audience gets major headaches.

I've heard Up has some not-so-good tacked on 3D. You might prefer to watch the 2D version if that's an option.

duckroll said:
Really? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I watch UP. I've never seen a 3D movie before. I think the cinema I'm going to uses Dolby 3D. What's the difference between Dolby 3D, Xpand 3D and Real 3D?

Dolby 3D (the shitty ones I was describing):
Dolby3Dglasses-550x290.jpg

RealD (Much better than Dolby, like normal sunglasses, relatively comfortable, polarised lenses that are wide enough that they're not distracting:
reald-3d-glasses.jpg

Then there is IMAX's most recent 3D glasses which are also polarised, only they're much bigger in every respect and only feature a black border along the bridge of your nose (not inbetween) so there is no part of your vision blocked whatsoever. These are the slightly older pairs:
782186317_2c6826b956_b.jpg

IMG_8150-m.JPG

IMAX are the best, followed by Real D, followed by poking a hole in a paper cup, followed by Dolby 3D. Don't know what Xpand 3D is - is that the IMAX?

duckroll

Thanks for the replies guys. Well for Up, I'm watching it in 3D with the family because we've been talking about 3D movies for a while now, and just wanted to go for an experience. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking but I want to check out what modern 3D technology is like. I'm not familiar with all these different types of 3D at all, so I'm definitely interested in learning more.

There are no IMAX 3D cinemas in Singapore unfortunately, so I won't be able to see IMAX 3D stuff unless I check them out while on vacation elsewhere. Most of the 3D cinemas here are using Dolby 3D, with one using RealD and one using XPAND 3D. The one showing the Avatar preview appears to be the RealD one.

Edit: Man, the IMAX glasses look really awesome. Dorky for sure, but definitely the most usable looking from the pics.

duckroll

Scullibundo said:
Yeah, just don't base your 3D experience off of your Dolby experience. :lol

Well that I'm curious about is why Dolby 3D is the most popular method of screening (at least here) in that case. If there is an obvious difference between different types of 3D projection technologies, then wouldn't it make more sense for a cinema chain to use a standard one for all their cinemas?

duckroll said:
Well that I'm curious about is why Dolby 3D is the most popular method of screening (at least here) in that case. If there is an obvious difference between different types of 3D projection technologies, then wouldn't it make more sense for a cinema chain to use a standard one for all their cinemas?

Because Dolby 3D doesn't require silver reflective screen. Any cinema can update any regular screen to 3D easier.

duckroll

Scullibundo said:
Because Dolby 3D doesn't require silver reflective screen. Any cinema can update any regular screen to 3D easier.

Ooooh. Okay that makes sense. Yeah, I can see why most operators would decide to go with Dolby 3D now. They made a pretty big deal about the RealD screen because it was specially renovated just to screen 3D films. Should've thought about that.

Darkflight said:
How would I be expected to wear the Dolby or RealD ones and my normal glasses?

Not very comfortably. The RealD wouldn't be ideal, but ultimately nowhere near as bad as Dolby if you're wearing glasses underneath. I actually have no idea how anybody could wear glasses under the shitty Dolby ones.

Truant

Darkflight said:
How would I be expected to wear the Dolby or RealD ones and my normal glasses?

It worked alright for me. I stopped noticing it after five minutes, probably. Depends on your glasses, mine were relatively small in frame.

SpacLock

I watched My Bloody Valentine with the RealD glasses/tech and it was fucking beautiful. The glasses were actually comfortable too. Comfortable enough for me to keep them rather than recycle by throwing them in the bin outside of the theater at the end because I forgot that they were still on.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty strange that this thread has been bumped after all of a month now that the Avatar trailer really is coming soon.

Why don't we just use the other one?

Krev said:
It's pretty strange that this thread has been bumped after all of a month now that the Avatar trailer really is coming soon.

Why don't we just use the other one?

As I understand it, duckroll will be changing this thread to the official discussion thread for AVATAR talk a general news. The other thread served that purpose for a long time, but this is the new thread now. Plus I'm sure an 'AVATAR trailer!' thread will pop up when the trailer does. :lol

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough...but why don't we use the Comic-Con thread as the new 'Avatar' thread? That would make more sense to me than using this one, since there'll be almost a month long gap and a lot of discussion missing from this thread.

And who gets to make the trailer thread, or which of the two existing ones does it get posted in...
Confusing.

IMAX Sydney, Darling Harbour, now have a competition up to win tickets to their screening. The question is about as easy as one of those 'who is the president of the United States?' flash banners.

Krev said:
Fair enough...but why don't we use the Comic-Con thread as the new 'Avatar' thread? That would make more sense to me than using this one, since there'll be almost a month long gap and a lot of discussion missing from this thread.

And who gets to make the trailer thread, or which of the two existing ones does it get posted in...
Confusing.

IMAX Sydney, Darling Harbour, now have a competition up to win tickets to their screening. The question is about as easy as one of those 'who is the president of the United States?' flash banners.

:lol :lol :lol

Holy fuck. I thought this WAS the Comic Con trailer thread. No joke. When did we stop posting in that thread?

Either way, thanks for the link - I could be tempted more by the IMAX preview, but will still probably hold off. If anything, they have a slightly more detailed teaser poster:

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Scullibundo said:

Holy fuck. I thought this WAS the Comic Con trailer thread. No joke. When did we stop posting in that thread?
When you won tickets to the screening, actually. :lol
It makes sense to revive this thread now. We're finally almost there!

I've been following this thread since November (yeah I know, junior, but I have the biggest activation waiting sob-story of all. I've been trying to get approved with different accounts since 2006), so it's good to see it come full circle back to its original purpose. I support this as the new trailer thread!

Also, the poster looks much better in that high resolution shot.

duckroll

Scullibundo said:

We stopped when you bumped this one to tell us you won tickets. :lol

Well to find the thread I usually Google > "Neogaf AVATAR"

Either way, maybe when the trailer hits you could change the thread title again to 'AVATAR trailer is HERE!' and update the OP? :D

duckroll

Scullibundo said:
Well to find the thread I usually Google > "Neogaf AVATAR"

Either way, maybe when the trailer hits you could change the thread title again to 'AVATAR trailer is HERE!' and update the OP? :D

You can update the OP yourself right? It's your OP! Unless there's some bug I'm not aware of. The thread title will definitely change when it launches. People must know! :p

duckroll said:
You can update the OP yourself right? It's your OP! Unless there's some bug I'm not aware of. The thread title will definitely change when it launches. People must know! :p

Yeah. To be honest I was originally going to post a new thread when the trailer hit, with that picture of the 'AVATAR' trailer truck, then discretely post the actual trailer link under it. Unfortunately I never saved the pic to my HD and the source file which I originally linked to changed.

duckroll

Scullibundo said:
Yeah. To be honest I was originally going to post a new thread when the trailer hit, with that picture of the 'AVATAR' trailer truck, then discretely post the actual trailer link under it. Unfortunately I never saved the pic to my HD and the source file which I originally linked to changed.

Oh man, I still remember when I banned you for that. I was pissed! :(

twofold

UK tickets are available. I grabbed some for the 1800 and 1830 showing in Sheffield. Get to see the footage twice..! :D

Head to seefilmfirst.com and type in code 302001.

Choose from the following showing;

BFI Southbank, IMAX Friday 21 Aug 10.00 AM
BFI Southbank, IMAX Friday 21 Aug 1.30 PM
Aberdeen, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Birmingham Broad Street, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Brighton Marina, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Bristol Cribbs, Vue Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Cardiff, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Edinburgh, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Glasgow Renfrew Street, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Greenwich, London, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Manchester Printworks, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Sheffield, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Southampton, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
West End, Vue Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Wimbledon, London, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 6.00 PM
Aberdeen, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
BFI Southbank, IMAX Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Birmingham Broad Street, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Brighton Marina, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Bristol Cribbs, Vue Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Cardiff, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Edinburgh, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Glasgow Renfrew Street, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Greenwich, London, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Sheffield, Cineworld Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Southampton, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
West End, Vue Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Wimbledon, London, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 6.30 PM
Manchester Printworks, ODEON Friday 21 Aug 7.00 PM
BFI Southbank, IMAX Friday 21 Aug 7.45 PM

Enjoy. And hurry!

near

Gold Member
I turned gluttony... 4 tickets two different times, will go with a mate and see it twice. One at 1000 and the other at 1330 at IMAX. Now I'm super EXCITED! :D

duckroll said:
Or what?!

Just kidding!

In fact, with the thread title change come thursday, can we get a PLEASE MARK SPOILERS in the title considering many will be watching the 15 minutes footage the following day?

Scullibundo said:
I have a feeling there will be as I'm guessing many who saw the 16 min preview will want to chat about it.

the official website, is there one for this film?

I live in sweden and I want to check out the preview

Ceres

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted but for the US:

http://rsvp.foxfilm.com/signup/1/chain/1

Cities:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Charlotte
Chicago
Cincinnati
Columbus
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
Minneapolis-St Paul
New Orleans
New York
Norfolk
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Seattle
Tampa
Washington DC

robertsan21 said:
the official website, is there one for this film?

I live in sweden and I want to check out the preview

avatarmovie.com though for tix in sweden I would just check the online service for all your local cinemas. Call them up if need be to find out. Its all over the local Sydney websites.

US BOOKING INFO IS UP!

Costanza

Banned
Ceres said:
Not sure if this has been posted but for the US:

http://rsvp.foxfilm.com/signup/1/chain/1

Cities:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Charlotte
Chicago
Cincinnati
Columbus
Dallas
Denver
Detroit
Houston
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Miami
Minneapolis-St Paul
New Orleans
New York
Norfolk
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Seattle
Tampa
Washington DC
omg, thanks.

Ceres

Banned
If it's like the Fox Searchlight RSVP system, you should receive an e-mail shortly after signing up. The link was posted on slickdeals so I don't know if it's a leaked link that's technically not active yet or if signing up now will be fine.
My city isn't listed so I couldn't sign up and I probably wouldn't want to sit through 15 minutes of the film anyway. I'd rather wait till I can see the entire film.

Costanza

Banned
Ceres said:
If it's like the Fox Searchlight RSVP system, you should receive an e-mail shortly after signing up. The link was posted on slickdeals so I don't know if it's a leaked link that's technically not active yet or if signing up now will be fine.
I actually just got an email from AMC with a link to that page. Guess they set it live early.

Haven't gotten a confirmation email to print out yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom