• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami releases 8/29. Let's celebrate with an Avatar thread! (over 100 inside)

Jimrpg

It's been a long wait Yakuza fans! Over a year and a half has passed since Ryu ga Gotoku: Kiwami released in Japan, but by the end of this month, we'll finally have yet another Yakuza game in our hands in the west. That's 2 in a year! Incredible.

It's a miracle
johnson
really considering western sales for Yakuza have not really taken off, despite being incredibly fun games. Should someone tell Nagoshi to make something else?
Hell no!
Do they need to mix up the Yakuza formula a bit? Perhaps. In any case, I'm sure a number of fans like myself are bracing for some change in the series. Ryu ga Gotoku 6 looks to have marked the end of Kazuma Kiryu's story given what developers have said and gamers who have imported it, and its pretty likely he'll get replaced in the next game.

What Yakuza fans have always done is to keep supporting the series, because its damn good (Yakuza 0 was the best one yet) and its time for the west to step up their game again. Since the release of Yakuza 0, you may have noticed the Yakuza Supporter badges on our Avatar (credit Son of Sparda for that great idea), and I'm sure that helped get more exposure for the Yakuza games especially as the Yakuza 0 OT was easily the most used OT yet. So for Yakuza Kiwami, I've decided to make a bunch of them in bulk, because... well it was fun! I've also made a character chart to explain the relationships between the characters rather than write up a synopsis.

SPOILER ALERT: The avatars were made from characters in Yakuza Kiwami, so if you want to go into the game completely blind, then you probably want to scroll past all the avatars. I hope you still join in on the discussion anyways. The avatars were made from the first 1/4 to first 1/3 of the game so there aren't any spoilery moments. The character chart below sets the scene for the start of the game and does not contain Yakuza Kiwami spoilers. However it may be a bit spoilery if you have not completed Yakuza 0.

If you claim an Avatar, post the one you took so others can see which one you take.

Kazuma Kiryu

Zzk76JN.jpg
E8BCIzS.jpg
FJdvy2m.jpg
oEkxffu.jpg
4apmHab.jpg
Y18YPLt.jpg
RRQiDdL.jpg
gb5qxLq.jpg
9y8gZwC.jpg
PjBJBis.jpg

JjapVo9.jpg
mFDzwva.jpg
L5onorY.jpg
k3hXFKU.jpg
vuBnE2d.jpg
QgKdaU1.jpg
5BimTB8.jpg
dk0NwDD.jpg
ZgDhVz7.jpg
77Ij0IY.jpg

Akira Nishikiyama

t54dPOE.jpg
ksLINYR.jpg
qYZZpUE.jpg
5y5Cp48.jpg
sry1Mmt.jpg
J0XbCNk.jpg
Ph3jyEe.jpg
dCmmw89.jpg
H6jLrcV.jpg
Ko2AWpL.jpg

Majima Goro

C37dGkI.jpg
HIvOoL6.jpg
de2YvW6.jpg
QJ9kqvn.jpg
6zLbgPM.jpg
72ClI4H.jpg
1UymSZJ.jpg
iQ98sX3.jpg
HPEq464.jpg
TSYtrut.jpg

5jJUPHa.jpg
WLKuWl1.jpg

Makoto Date

KuODMBY.jpg
FxK968M.jpg
Fqnvvc0.jpg
knPhpD5.jpg

Haruka

3kP6BFY.jpg
dac9Sp1.jpg
UEYEl2W.jpg
ej4SK6T.jpg

Shintaro Kazama

6JqSgaq.jpg
xKTAnDq.jpg
KloXQI2.jpg
SIeVzKJ.jpg

Masaru Sera

xNIprBg.jpg
Anwn5I6.jpg
oKWcmNl.jpg
OA6n9dn.jpg

Futoshi Shimano

fb9qvuH.jpg
z7a1r39.jpg
9cBqqLH.jpg
3B0mwv6.jpg

Yumi Sawamura

kiOKTKK.jpg
rf0Mg2E.jpg
STJEkBG.jpg
Dy5LK3o.jpg

Reina

m4e2xfR.jpg
QOmN3WZ.jpg
0be5JpU.jpg
RIeiOpM.jpg

Kage The Florist

uhopEzP.jpg
BzuO4LX.jpg
LNpzs5V.jpg
CfJz6qW.jpg

Shinji Tanada

dfhOLNG.jpg
79qYXAJ.jpg
M0LWXQx.jpg
qd0cpzL.jpg

Miscellaneous Characters

(From L to R - Arase, Garry Holmes, Atobe, Amon, Big Akai, Jingu)

0WsHWTZ.jpg
7JRqLyl.jpg
pVkVNkf.jpg
1b8DSvZ.jpg
SNlMIwd.jpg
179RRZE.jpg

(L to R - B-King, Kazuki, Lau Kar Long, Dojima, Mizuki, Koji)

LRYTdOw.jpg
JHhdquC.jpg
VNZeFUU.jpg
Ey0IdJg.jpg
aqrk7Jm.jpg
nnVIu8F.jpg

(L to R - Sudo, Akimoto, Yuji, Shota, Motoyama, Takashi)

yyvVTcq.jpg
8NRgQ6d.jpg
7Q3C3gZ.jpg
sg4lxFj.jpg
Ip3YQJw.jpg
qQv6WXL.jpg

(L to R - Terada, Saya Date, Akemi, Mr. Libido, Nugget)

mEfghxJ.jpg
wvXFRxb.jpg
Ay9NKed.jpg
9zZEXPb.jpg
uxs9urI.jpg
5fJrYRE.jpg
xmJts7e.jpg

(L to R - Bob Utsonomiya, Fighter, Arcade kid, Nugget)

1TAnpIV.jpg
n1a3sVT.jpg
mHjZMgt.jpg
P911tj3.jpg
R31DFhp.jpg
Pww3iX6.jpg
HNz7VFp.jpg

Yakuza Kiwami Hostesses (Rina Rukawa, Yui Hatano)

CDTe1SY.jpg
E5BKJiR.jpg
Q8FbJ0G.jpg
CPmPnQp.jpg
0B6OYii.jpg
XxD1sYN.jpg
hJTwoHO.jpg

Yakuza Kiwami Covers

epu2cke.jpg
FEq0RW8.jpg
Z5c876n.jpg
CEw6MtG.jpg

Toshihiro Nagoshi - Father of Yakuza, Daytona and Super Monkey Ball Series.

mfswWLb.jpg
B8fhjbT.jpg
G0uVOOi.jpg
KX4e7W0.jpg
MmWQAKH.jpg
4nBWrSF.jpg
gjed1BM.jpg
jX5AMUt.jpg
xZ85icT.jpg
Pb5YKXc.jpg

Ky4Q7aZ.jpg
CHdlK9l.jpg
5OUjyiT.jpg
vZIvIcH.jpg
vpqz026.jpg

Yakuza Supporter Badge for your own DIY Avatar

All Avatars need to be 100 x 120 pixels (LxH) and under 50k on GAF. If you cannot make your own Avatar, ask kindly in the thread, maybe someone will be able to help you.

Ex0QQ8u.png

Yakuza: Kiwami Character Chart

Click on the quoted image to enlarge for a who's who in Yakuza Kiwami. With many thanks to TriggerRed and others in the community thread for clarifying details!

Click Here for the official complete Yakuza Saga Timeline.

Mini FAQ:

1. What is this thread? Who are all these people? What is Yakuza?
Yakuza is a 3D brawler, a series that has been running ten years and counting since the PS2. You can get a more in depth explanation here with this great Yakuza starter guide GAF thread made by Irishninja.

2. What is Yakuza Kiwami?
Yakuza Kiwami is a remake of the very first Yakuza game that came out on the PS2 in full HD on the PS4. It runs at 1080p/60fps and uses the Yakuza 0 engine. It features the revamped combat mechanics such as the different fighting styles taken from Yakuza 0, new additional story scenes to flesh out more detail, more side stories that tie in with events in Yakuza 0, and more mini games (than the first PS2 game).

3. What is the story about in Yakuza Kiwami?
Posting it here may spoiler some things in 0, so I'll link you to the Wikipedia page. Check the character relationship chart above too.

4. I'm not ready to try this game at full price?
Great! You don't have to - its MSRP/RRP is $30.

5. Should I play Yakuza 0 or Yakuza Kiwami first?
Tricky question. Yakuza 0 is the prequel and it works well playing 0 to 1 (Kiwami). That's also the release order. Both are standalone stories with returning characters, but I think 0 to 1 is probably the way to go.

1st EDIT: Added more avatars, Nagoshi (9), Kiryu (8) Majima (2), Nugget (3), Fighter (2), Bob Utsonomiya (1), reuploaded Yakuza Kiwami Character Chart.

Great work on these. I'll be picking the game up and I'm almost finished with 0 but probably wont take an avatar and leave the best ones for longtime fans

Amazing work, arbok. I took a Majima avatar.

Also a suggestion, you might wanna bold the questions in FAQ so it'll be easier to tell which line is question and which is the answer.

Jimrpg

Didn't expect to see avatars of NAGOSHI DA GAWD.

Great work arbok :)

This. I'm eyeing the Majima cop avvie but I wanna pay respects to Nagoshi-sama

Great work, arbok

Guesing 6 Nagoshi avatars isn't going to cut it then? maybe ill make some more if I can find any other cool pictures of him.

Great work on these. I'll be picking the game up and I'm almost finished with 0 but probably wont take an avatar and leave the best ones for longtime fans

Take what you like - I'd rather they get used ;)

xclk07

Hell yes! Thank you so much!

I wasn't going to create an avatar until I became a full-fledged member, but Nugget is too good to pass up!

Nice thread, maybe it's time for an avatar change for me. Yakuza 0 is my GOTY so far and I already have Kiwami pre-ordered.

ASaiyan

Banned
EDIT: On second thought, I'm just gonna go with a bannered-out version of my original avatar instead. I wasn't worthy of cop Majima anyway. Back up for grabs!

Great thread, OP. Everybody support the Western release of Yakuza!

danmaku

xmJts7e.jpg

Can't quote from mobile, but I'll get Nugget's employee of the month, thanks!

Get hype for Kiwami!

edit: fixed

Venom.

I've never played a Yakuza game before but I have Yakuza: Kiwami preordered and I'm really looking forward to it as a being a jumping on point to this franchise.

I'm not expecting perfection but I do hope it is a game that I can lose myself in its world.

D-Man

Great job with this, OP! I'm so excited for Kiwami, it's crazy.

I won't take an icon but I might want to update my current one with the purple banner to fit in with the rest of you guys.

Boke1879

I've never played a Yakuza game before but I have Yakuza: Kiwami preordered and I'm really looking forward to it as a being a jumping on point to this franchise.

I'm not expecting perfection but I do hope it is a game that I can lose myself in its world.

Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza game. Absolutely loved it. Think of it as a beat em up, but with an amazing story and tons of side content. I think you'll like it.

Top Bottom