• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm - IGN preview with the retail Japanese version (no online for you, sir!)

Elios83

jkeeling said:
No it's just kinda... dark. Not pitch black just sort of moonlit. No extra lighting on the vehicles from what I can see. Maybe I need to play around with it more.

Anyway if there are other specific questions post them and I find anything else crazy over the weekend we'll do a follow up on Monday.

BTW the intro is crazy... flyby over mountain canyons... first time I've literally had a hard time telling if something is real video footage or in game.

jkeeling when can we expect movies from this build of the game?Thanks:D

GeoramA

jkeeling said:
No it's just kinda... dark. Not pitch black just sort of moonlit. No extra lighting on the vehicles from what I can see. Maybe I need to play around with it more.

Anyway if there are other specific questions post them and I find anything else crazy over the weekend we'll do a follow up on Monday.

BTW the intro is crazy... flyby over mountain canyons... first time I've literally had a hard time telling if something is real video footage or in game.
That's nuts.

BobTheFork said:
Wondering, how much longer would the online take to do? I thought for a while that they delayed this game not because of time but because its soo badass, sony wants more consoles out there went it hits. It going to be the first killer app for sure : )

jkeeling seems really into it already and this version is offline, it makes you wonder just how addicting it's going to be with the online added into it.

Surreal

SolidSnakex said:
jkeeling seems really into it already and this version is offline, it makes you wonder just how addicting it's going to be with the online added into it.

I hope they go all out and support voice chat during the race. That would be so fun yelling at friends while racing.

PnCIa

@jkeeling, 2k5 trailer graphics or not? :D
I mean, is the improvement from the stuff we saw really "big"?

ms2os6.jpg

dsc0083jt2ix4.jpg

Come on give us some awesome news...

jkeeling

Some of it looks as good as the E3 trailer, but some doesn't. Like that trailer was pretty scripted (esp. the ending) and it doesn't play like that. But seriously, as a pretty big skeptic the earlier Motorstorm builds I gotta say the game has shaped up in really amazing fashion. I mean, this is from someone who wasn't really even sold on the demo they showed at TGS.

Yes, the courses are huge open, multi-course worlds, not unlike SSX - vehicles jumping over each other mud flyinh and insane jumps and crazy emergent physics doing unpredictable things, they've used the phrase 'no two races are ever alike' before but here it REALLY applies. Just hugely dramatic races everytime, great fun to watch too. First person view is about the best looking you I've ever seen, though not always easy to control (specially using bikes). Great sense of humour in the game too.

J-Rzez

jkeeling said:
Glad you guys liked the writeup. I took the PS3 and final JP Motorstorm build home with me after Alex finished his preview so I'll be unlocking more courses and stuff etc tonight and this weekend.

Did we mention the music freaking rules? All live versions, in surround sound it gives you that outdoor, Mad Max festival vibe. Small touches make this game seriously great.

Nice write up... give us some details on the unlocks when you get a chance...

and did you say LIVE versions of the songs?! As in Slipknot live? lol, wow... what songs in specific are in the game by what bands if you may :)

BuddyC

jkeeling said:
Yes, the courses are huge open, multi-course worlds, not unlike SSX - vehicles jumping over each other mud flyinh and insane jumps and crazy emergent physics doing unpredictable things, they've used the phrase 'no two races are ever alike' before but here it REALLY applies. Just hugely dramatic races everytime, great fun to watch too. First person view is about the best looking you I've ever seen, though not always easy to control (specially using bikes). Great sense of humour in the game too.
And with the mention of SSX, I'm sold.

Can you stream custom soundtracks via USB devices?

seanoff

same as BuddyC, the similarities to SSX have got me and with persistent ruts it should be insane.

This is sounding like a very good game for me.

PnCIa

jkeeling said:
Some of it looks as good as the E3 trailer, but some doesn't. Like that trailer was pretty scripted (esp. the ending) and it doesn't play like that. But seriously, as a pretty big skeptic the earlier Motorstorm builds I gotta say the game has shaped up in really amazing fashion. I mean, this is from someone who wasn't really even sold on the demo they showed at TGS.
So if the game improved much from the TGS build (and I never expected that when it comes to the graphics), this game might even WOW me totally :D
Thanks for the reply, are you guys going to show us some new screenshots or videos?

J-Rzez said:
and did you say LIVE versions of the songs?! As in Slipknot live? lol, wow... what songs in specific are in the game by what bands if you may :)

I doubt they're actual live recordings, but the game post-processes the music tracks on the fly (adding echo, reverb fx etc). Evo was planning on custom sound tracks since the effects are done in real-time, but I think that might have gotten scrapped for now.

jkeeling

They're actual live versions of the tracks from what I can tell. Oh and sorry, it's actually 15 vehicles racing in a race not 12.

Oh and I just found an option in the settings to play the game with tilt control?! Badass.

jkeeling said:
They're actual live versions of the tracks from what I can tell. Oh and sorry, it's actually 15 vehicles racing in a race not 12.

Oh and I just found an option in the settings to play the game with tilt control?! Badass.
DOOM ya hear that?!?!?! nice I wasn't really happy with 12 but 15 is fine : )

jkeeling said:
Did we mention the music freaking rules? All live versions, in surround sound it gives you that outdoor, Mad Max festival vibe. Small touches make this game seriously great.
Thank god. I heard this hideously annoying, grinding song in one of the trailers. Think it's the themesong or something. This brings hope that I won't have to mute the music.

Will there be custom soundtrakcs in this game? I haven't heard much about this feature in PS3-games. I'm not even sure the PS3 actually supports this.

And did I read somewhere that the music would come out of actual speakers placed alongside the tracks, or did I dream that?

Raistlin

VibratingDonkey said:
And did I read somewhere that the music would come out of actual speakers placed alongside the tracks, or did I dream that?

Yeah, I remember that too ... I hope it's in there!!!

I also hope EA Big does an SSX game with a similar feature.

That way it will be just like one of the mountains by me. The snow boarding park has speakers all over it.

Once a week they jam all sorts of skater music (punk, thrash, etc.)!!!

[EDIT -Whoa ... More games coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
SolidSnakex said:
IGN just posted some RR7 posted so hopefully Motorstorm isn't too far behind.

ahh ok

Onix said:
They said there may be some more titles coming.

I assume someone went to pick up some other available titles?!?!

:eek:

Watching IGN On the Spot now

Onix said:
:lol

I'm in the wrong thread!!!!!!

WTF - I'm barely drunk :lol

:lol

Thats what I was wondering :p

Model 500

I saw a guy playing the game yesterday. The physics were great. The frame rate was atrocious, don't know the numbers but easily the worst I've seen in a high profile game in years. The action was very slow as well. You don't really see how bad the frame rate is in videos, but the vids go some way to show how slow the game is. I'm planning of playing the game soon and using as much turbo as possible, let's see what happens.

Other games in the area were RR and Resistance. Both looked smooth and visually pleasing, especially Resistance.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Model 500 said:
I saw a guy playing the game yesterday. The physics were great. The frame rate was atrocious, don't know the numbers but easily the worst I've seen in a high profile game in years. The action was very slow as well. You don't really see how bad the frame rate is in videos, but the vids go some way to show how slow the game is. I'm planning of playing the game soon and using as much turbo as possible, let's see what happens.
Sounds like symptoms of the old build. Where did you see the game at?

Rody

jkeeling, have you noticed any slowdowns? Is the game fast enough? What about the mud being deformed by the cars?

OMG SO MANY QUESTIONS TO ASK!!3!11!

mintosen

and would the game play better with the Wii-controller? :D j/k.

well, im wondering if you have a Logitech wheel for the PS2 and can see if it works with the PS3 + motorstorm?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bebpo said:
So basically if you don't care about online you should just import the JPN version and play it all December.

That's basically what I'm doing. Except, replace "import" with "buy in the local store."

Rody said:
jkeeling, have you noticed any slowdowns? Is the game fast enough? What about the mud being deformed by the cars?

OMG SO MANY QUESTIONS TO ASK!!3!11!

Alot of those questions were answered in IGN's preview. Such as the mud deforming to the point that ATV can flip if their wheels slip into tracks formed by bigger vehicles.

sun-drop

this game brings back the hype-hopes i had for top gear rally on the n64 when i 1st saw the 'screen shots' - how ever in this case, moterstorm looks to be the real deal.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
LOL. Let the IGN staff rest for the weekend dude!

Eccheccazzo! :D

BTW, the no-online thing for the japanese version is... dunno... strange.

Elios83

TTP said:
LOL. Let the IGN staff rest for the weekend dude!

Eccheccazzo! :D

Aahaahaha no devono lavorare!!:lol :lol :D

BTW, the no-online thing for the japanese version is... dunno... strange.

The whole 'Japan gets a rushed version, US and Europe wait until March 2007' thing is weird.I can't see why they're trying hard to release Motorstorm in Japan anyway,it's not like it will be a big game there with RR7 and GTHD out this year.

Elios83

SolidSnakex said:
They've got new pictures and some video of pretty much every game except this. :(

Yeah (and I've to say that Resistance looks really great in their videos as RR7 looked great on Gamespot's hands on) but ultimately we have to wait until next week when they receive a retail unit to have detailed reports on the system and its games.

Jonnyram

Sounds like it's come on quite a bit. I'll probably pick this up, but the lack of online in the JP version is a bummer. It's pretty clear they're rushing it because there's such a sparse lineup in Japan right now, so I might just hold on for the US release since there's plenty of good 360/DS stuff coming out this December anyway.

Samuray

jkeeling:

I'm not even a racing game buff, but this is my most anticipated game right now...it'a crazy :lol ...it's right up there with Super Mario Galaxy.
Ok, what I'd like to know: The preview says something about the verhicles being divided into classes....so it is NOT possible to see any constellation of verhicles in the game? Can trucks still race with bikes like in the trailers? Can there be a race where cars and ATVs and bikes and rigs are all together? Maybe I just read it wrong but please tell me anyway, I really need to know this.

Oh, and how many courses are there? I've heard any number between 8 and 12 now, I think.

wordless

Uhm, I tested Motorstorm today at DigiExpo in Finland. That version what I tested must have been an old build since it suffered much from constantly low frame-rate. Also there wasn't really the feel of speed as the IGN said there would be. However, the graphics and effects looked totally amazing.

Well, as an offtopic I also tested Ridge Racer 7 there which looked totally awesome. 1080p + 60fps and great lightning really showed that PS3 is capable to something. I also tested Resistance, but it was a disappointing game. It felt like a boring generic-FPS and like a boring map of Call of Duty. Controls felt much like Halo's. Though I think this also was an old build too or something, since there really wasn't much details at enviroment and almost no effects what so ever.

jkeeling

OK, so I probably played through 30 more events (10+ hours) of this over the weekend and the game is freaking awesome. I'm probably a third of the way through the Festival tour and the more advanced AI is starting to kick in making racing truly BRUTAL.

One I just played was 14 motorbikes and one massive armoured truck who's just smashing through the bikes left right and centre. It's pretty terrifying being in 1st place and seeing this huge thing coming at you from behind - imagine Spielberg's Duel but as a race. Brilliant.

Oh and props to Evo for naming two of their events 'Massive Damage' and 'Giant Enemy Crab' respectively. :lol Good that SCEE has its sense of humour.

I think we need to do updated impressions on this as there's way more to the game. The night courses under crazy HD starlit skies are beautiful too.

Zaptruder

Banned
jkeeling said:
OK, so I probably played through 30 more events (10+ hours) of this over the weekend and the game is freaking awesome. I'm probably a third of the way through the Festival tour and the more advanced AI is starting to kick in making racing truly BRUTAL.

One I just played was 14 motorbikes and one massive armoured truck who's just smashing through the bikes left right and centre. It's pretty terrifying being in 1st place and seeing this huge thing coming at you from behind - imagine Spielberg's Duel but as a race. Brilliant.

Oh and props to Evo for naming two of their events 'Massive Damage' and 'Giant Enemy Crab' respectively. :lol Good that SCEE has its sense of humour.

I think we need to do updated impressions on this as there's way more to the game. The night courses under crazy HD starlit skies are beautiful too.

Still there mate?

Did you try to play with a FF wheel at anytime this weekend? :p

Nice impressions btw. They've reacted really pretty positively to the negativity since E3... well at least as best they can (you can't really do much about manufacturing difficulties).

jkeeling

No the debugs don't support that stuff yet. I've tried the tilt control a few times but it's pretty sensitive, prolly needs tuning. Some folks might get into it though.

There's shedloads more I want to write but let us work on updated proper impressions through the right channels and go from there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Reading Edge's preview, the biggest focus of the game almost seemed to be on the AI. That it was set up to entertain you, and to set up memorable 'moments' in the race within the player's view. If they've been successful in that, expanding on those things in a new preview would be great! :)

Top Bottom