• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo acquires $150 million company that's not Japanese and not gaming related

Status
Not open for further replies.

The007JiM

tumblr_mw3ydfo9AJ1qz5q5lo1_500.gif

i wonder if some guy like Coleman Reese in Nintendo HQ knows what is happening.

Effect

We'll probably find out who they purchased tonight during their Investor Meeting.

He's an investor.

I am curious if they'll say anything tonight during the meeting. Does anyone know if they said anything last year or the year before in the meeting right before E3?

How large is 100mill in terms of acquisitions? Is that some big time stuff? I wonder what that could get you?

This. I think 100 million is a lot of money. However in terms of buying companies, etc just how big of a amount is this?

But really though it's probably going to be some tiny ass Japanese tech company you've never heard of that have some kind of weird ass proprietary technology that no developer knows about or has ever used.

georly

Well, it's 'tech', so I assume that doesn't mean a game studio. It has to be QOL or related to some patent or maybe just R&D on their next system, videogame or otherwise.

If there was ever an investor briefing where bombs need to/would drop to offset bad news it's this one.

I'm expecting craziness tonight.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Hopefully it is some sort of tech similar to Chromecast so that in the future, they don't have a home console, they just have handheld devices that broadcast to your TV. Having one platform to support instead of a dedicated home console and a handheld would be massive for them.

zychi

Banned
They bought that crazy expensive hdmi cable best buy sells for all new Wii Us.

The Best Buy guy told him that it would give the best picture and future proof, Nintendo thinks they now have NEXT GEN HD GOLD PLATED CABLES!

udivision

Why would they want to?
Pretty sure they don't want to, and they haven't. But they may not have a choice

The success of the Wii was due to the expanded audience, but I don't think making two platforms (three if you count a handheld) to target that audience makes much sense.

A Nintendo console without a "gimmick" would just be yet another in a line of lesser-appealing consoles, doomed to sell less than it's predecessor. And selling less than the Wii U doesn't seem like a great thing.

No, their current console doesn't have any of the stuff like face training or brain training. It has wii fit and sports but both rely on peripherals. Their next system might be more like Amazon's than Sony's.

Creating a scaled back system makes sense. It'd be like splitting the wii up into two pieces of hardware instead of one.

It's clearly QoL, but let's just pretend they bought out Platinum or some crazy shit like that.

Hopefully the veil is lifted at E3, though this seems more like an Investor's Meeting announcement.

It's another video codec

It's a GPS manufacturer that will make receivers for the 3DS successor and the QOL device. The GPS menu (called "Nintendo Maru-Mari World") will take 15 seconds to load from the home screen and, in keeping with Nintendo's global-oriented thinking, will automatically point out any bullet trains, hot springs, and high school culture festivals near you.

Gambit

I hope we never find out what they bought. That way it can forever remain a speculative bullet-point during list-wars.

But really though it's probably going to be some tiny ass Japanese tech company you've never heard of that have some kind of weird ass proprietary technology that no developer knows about or has ever used.

they need to purchase Hatena first = the guys who developed Miiverse

100 Million is a bit much for a small no name company though so I hope the tech is good

at least its not 2 billion dollars

gngf123

Probably not QOL related or anything like that, in fact it's probably something I've never heard of. Will be interested to see what it turns out to be.

I am curious if they'll say anything tonight during the meeting. Does anyone know if they said anything last year or the year before in the meeting right before E3?
I'm pretty sure they having to say something about it tonight. Especially if a company is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire another company.

Effer

Ubisoft's O.zen is going mysteriously unreleased. (I've been watching it because I'm interested in biofeedback sorts of things) http://ozen.ubi.com/en-gb/index.aspx

That might explain why things went so quiet. It DOES look like the sort of casual crap Nintendo would be interested in releasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom