• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Beckx

Man, Focus Attack is great. Placed a huge order (PCBs, sticks, buttons, wiring, the works) last night and already got the shipping notice for it.

bumpkin

Man, Focus Attack is great. Placed a huge order (PCBs, sticks, buttons, wiring, the works) last night and already got the shipping notice for it.
They definitely do rock! I only recently began tinkering with modding my TE Fightstick, and FA has been the sole recipient of my part orders. I too highly recommend them!

bumpkin

That T5 stick shows up all the time on eBay. Maybe not at that price, but it's not uncommon to see.
I still have one of the US "Ultimate Collectors Editions" sitting somewhere in my basement that I never opened. Found it for relatively cheap in a store and snagged it on impulse, but never actually cracked it open. Got my TE Fightstick around the same time and ended up using that.

Beckx

Is there any source for Virtual On type parts (sticks with trigger buttons) other than buying $400 hori sticks to cannibalize them?

Is there any source for Virtual On type parts (sticks with trigger buttons) other than buying $400 hori sticks to cannibalize them?

The Sanwa JLJ-PL2-8V used in Virtual On cabinets are over a hundred dollars each for a single lever alone. A cheaper alternative would be to cannibalize the Saturn or Dreamcast twinsticks, but those parts are lower quality than the aforementioned Sanwas.

Beckx

The Sanwa JLJ-PL2-8V used in Virtual On cabinets are over a hundred dollars each for a single lever alone. A cheaper alternative would be to cannibalize the Saturn or Dreamcast twinsticks, but those parts are lower quality than the aforementioned Sanwas.

YOWZA.

But thanks for the part number - searching that I found this cheap thing at Paradise Arcade. With the caveat that you get what you pay for, I wonder whether it would make a fun Virtual On control board for a Vewlix clone.

LegatoB

How much do said twinsticks go for these days? I like to do things the hard way, so I might still get some Sanwas, but considering options is always a nice thing...

How much do said twinsticks go for these days? I like to do things the hard way, so I might still get some Sanwas, but considering options is always a nice thing...

If you're lucky the Saturn ones can be acquired for under $30 + whatever shipping at auction on eBay. Careful though, as usually they have a lot of wear and are really loose. The DC ones will be $120+. I feel the parts in the DC one are marginally better but I don't have anything to back it up. It could just be a case of wear and tear that I'm used to with the Saturn ones.

The T5 stick is not an HRAP. The difference is in the parts, internals, and modability.

That Japanese T5 stick actually does carry the HRAP moniker.

Like most game-branded Japanese HRAPs, the stick is a Sanwa JLF but the buttons are Hori clones and soldered directly to the PCB.

It's the American T5 stick that isn't an HRAP.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Don't like the SF X Sanrio stick being Pink and Black. It doesn't look right to me so I switched the shells and covers of the stick with the Red SFXT stick. Looks much better to me.

8616187925_c9e8a5bb8c_z.jpg

8617294346_b23c17e7ff_z.jpg

8616187669_3417b01f5b_z.jpg

8616187609_ab0341f050_z.jpg

BOTEC

Don't like the SF X Sanrio stick being Pink and Black. It doesn't look right to me so I switched the shells and covers of the stick with the Red SFXT stick. Looks much better to me.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8390/8616187925_c9e8a5bb8c_z.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8381/8617294346_b23c17e7ff_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8389/8616187669_3417b01f5b_z.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8616187609_ab0341f050_z.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That does look better, and makes much more aesthetic sense. What are those jokers in the art department thinking?

Beckx

Yeah, been looking at one of the VO sites and someone used those to make a stick and seemed to be pleased with it. At that cost building a 2 player control module (Force is lame but still fun in local multi) is actually cheaper than building out a normal module.

Plus it should adapt well to Gundam EXVS, with a little creative remapping.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
The T5 stick is not an HRAP. The difference is in the parts, internals, and modability.

Old type Real Arcade Pro models have relative modding procedures. The older versions such as the RAP1 are very similar to the JP T5 stick in terms of parts and technology. I would like to add that while the American T5 stick is not truly a Real Arcade Pro, it still represents the models to a certain degree IMO.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Old type Real Arcade Pro models have relative modding procedures. The older versions such as the RAP1 are very similar to the JP T5 stick in terms of parts and technology. I would like to add that while the American T5 stick is not truly a Real Arcade Pro, it still represents the models to a certain degree IMO.
Well, perhaps the JP T5 is different, but the T5 I'm familiar with uses an underpanel PCB directly attached to the buttons instead of quick disconnects. Getting sanwa parts into one takes a lot of work, while in the HRAP1 (which I own) they all swap out easily.

Well, perhaps the JP T5 is different, but the T5 I'm familiar with uses an underpanel PCB directly attached to the buttons instead of quick disconnects. Getting sanwa parts into one takes a lot of work, while in the HRAP1 (which I own) they all swap out easily.

I detail the Japanese T5 in this post.

Game-branded Japanese HRAPs (Deathsmiles, Capcom Fighting Evolution, Blazblue CT, vanilla Street Fighter IV, and so-on) almost always have Sanwa JLF sticks with the 5-pin connector and Hori buttons soldered directly to the PCB. This T5 one is no different.

Regular HRAPs without any game branding have Sanwa JLFs and Hori buttons, but these buttons use quick disconnects unlike the game-branded counterparts.

The American T5 stick on the other hand does not carry the HRAP moniker and has full Hori parts, including the lever.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
sixteen-bit: Well, that sounds pretty lame of Hori. Didn't know they went round to other licenses with soldered buttons.

I detail the Japanese T5 in this post.
Game-branded Japanese HRAPs (Deathsmiles, Capcom Fighting Evolution, Blazblue CT, vanilla Street Fighter IV, and so-on) almost always have Sanwa JLF sticks with the 5-pin connector and Hori buttons soldered directly to the PCB.

none of the branded 360 HRAP EX's had soldered buttons, probably because of how the EX pcb's were designed. but yeah, the HRAP EX models (DS, MushiFuta, Tekken6) had quick disconnects for buttons.

as for PS2 HRAPs, Capcom Fighting Jam HRAP was the only branded one that didn't have soldered buttons, it's also the only branded HRAP for ps2 that had turbo switches. For PS3, BlazBlue and SFIV hrap had soldered buttons lol.

I owned the Arcana Heart 2 stick previously, but never opened it up. But it did seem it had soldered pcb due the hori buttons being stable and not spinny like other non SA/SE HRAP's.

All this hrap talk makes me wanna collect them all haha.

I owned the Arcana Heart 2 stick previously, but never opened it up. But it did seem it had soldered pcb due the hori buttons being stable and not spinny like other non SA/SE HRAP's.

I said above, Arcana Heart 2 used quick disconnects, but research is telling me otherwise. Going to have to reconfirm with the friend who owns one.

Yes Boss!

Yep, none of the 360 sticks have soldered buttons. Deathsmiles, Deathsmiles IIX, Mushi Futari...even Otomedius. All quick disconnects. Mostly soldered sticks though.

none of the branded 360 HRAP EX's had soldered buttons, probably because of how the EX pcb's were designed. but yeah, the HRAP EX models (DS, MushiFuta, Tekken6) had quick disconnects for buttons.

as for PS2 HRAPs, Capcom Fighting Jam HRAP was the only branded one that didn't have soldered buttons, it's also the only branded HRAP for ps2 that had turbo switches. For PS3, BlazBlue and SFIV hrap had soldered buttons lol.

All this hrap talk makes me wanna collect them all haha.

Thanks for the corrections. My memory is failing me these days.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kind of arcade stick related...

Haha, the boys in Seattle crack me up. They put up preorders for the "Whatchu Know About This, MarkMan!?" shirt on their site. Don't know about it? Look it up on YouTube and check out these pictures below:

MarkmanShirt.png

558219_10151062894098883_554981928_n.jpeg

581884_10101665058770734_1738583122_n.jpeg

MF.png

Harada.png

Untitled.png

557264_10151061928823883_461532223_n.png

Thought I'd spread the word out for him. All proceeds of these sales go back to the FGC in Seattle. I get none of it, cuz I don't know about this!

PREORDER HERE: http://seattlefootclan.bigcartel.com/product/whatchu-know-about-this-markman

BOTEC

Did a simple parts swap on my HRAP2 with my favorite parts. (LS-32 and PS-14-GNs)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/b462e46e60ea210331153c2079559579/tumblr_mkusoqmpQS1rmse96o2_500.jpg[img]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/0adad6757e2912bb6082ae9191b79665/tumblr_mkusoqmpQS1rmse96o4_500.jpg[img]

It looks stock, but it's not![/QUOTE]

Excellent work.

Now, lemme aks yoo sumthin, how do you install these nut-secured buttons? When I had to install one in one of my sticks I held the microswitch, while tightening the nut. That seemed like the worst way possible to secure it in place, am I missing something? I always prefer the snap-in variants, because they seem less likely to break-the-fuck-apart dusting installation.

sca2511

Excellent work.

Now, lemme aks yoo sumthin, how do you install these nut-secured buttons? When I had to install one in one of my sticks I held the microswitch, while tightening the nut. That seemed like the worst way possible to secure it in place, am I missing something? I always prefer the snap-in variants, because they seem less likely to break-the-fuck-apart dusting installation.

Eh, I do the same. I sometimes over do it since there were times where the button would start becoming loose and being able to spin.

Excellent work.

On these seimitsu locking nuts, which are slimmer and harder to actually get a good grip on. Initially I just twisted the nuts in place but then you lose grip at some point. So by then I simple held the nut in place, and screwed the button shell/body instead, holding it at the microswitch (Seimitsu switches are bigger than sanwa's, so its pretty sturdy). it should tighten real firm, and so far, I haven't had any screw-in buttons let loose mid-play, even on metal panels.
It might get tricky if you wanted your QCD points well arranged or something, but that's how I do it.

But if you're using Sanwa's with those big orange nuts, im sure you can just grip and screw it in it like normal. problem with those is that they are huge, I could never fit them in most retail sticks.

I always prefer using screw-in buttons because of how much more 'reusable' they are, I don't like how Snap-in's wear out and eventually become too loose to install. Or they start spinning in place. Worse, the tabs break off, i've had that happen a couple of times. Only problem is, there are more color choices for Snap-ins (Sanwa especially).

BOTEC

On these seimitsu locking nuts, which are slimmer and harder to actually get a good grip on. Initially I just twisted the nuts in place but then you lose grip at some point. So by then I simple held the nut in place, and screwed the button shell/body instead, holding it at the microswitch (Seimitsu switches are bigger than sanwa's, so its pretty sturdy). it should tighten real firm, and so far, I haven't had any screw-in buttons let loose mid-play, even on metal panels.
It might get tricky if you wanted your QCD points well arranged or something, but that's how I do it.

But if you're using Sanwa's with those big orange nuts, im sure you can just grip and screw it in it like normal. problem with those is that they are huge, I could never fit them in most retail sticks.

I always prefer using screw-in buttons because of how much more 'reusable' they are, I don't like how Snap-in's wear out and eventually become too loose to install. Or they start spinning in place. Worse, the tabs break off, i've had that happen a couple of times. Only problem is, there are more color choices for Snap-ins (Sanwa especially).

OK, so I'm not being an animal by holding the micro-switch, good to know. I prefer snap-ins for ease of installation, but you're right, they aren't very reusable. I pulled more than a few out with broken tabs. Kinda sucks, but it just makes me commit to color scheme/layout 10,000% before buying parts.

Zissou

I don't find it particularly tough to get the snap-ins out. I take buttons out and remove the plungers to clean them every once in a while and I've never had any problems.

Quick question. What's the best gauge / type wire to use for custom wiring? My first stick I used solid core and it's all worked out fine, but I always get nervous about wire movement and wonder if stranded would be better.

Quick question. What's the best gauge / type wire to use for custom wiring? My first stick I used solid core and it's all worked out fine, but I always get nervous about wire movement and wonder if stranded would be better.

If you're soldering, use solid. If you're crimping or connecting to a screw post, use stranded as solid will not usually sandwich well enough to hold right.

I tend to use stranded all the time because it's thinner and moves around well, but I'm also used to soldering it and will use solid if I have a good path to make it stick to since it tends to not move.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wind Waker Stick
Wow, gorgeous piece of work!

ArcadeStickGAF, I need your help: I went to get my first artwork printed the other day and the girl at the printing store didn't know what material the original art was. She also printed the template and said that it wasn't gonna look the same, she was right:

She printed it on some glossy paper that wasn't even close in quality to the stock art. She referred me to some other place where they can print this vinyl decal (I think that's what she said) but that it was gonna be expensive (around $20 the print). On SRK I've read that people have done this for less than $10. Am I not asking for the right thing? Is my template goofed? Or is it actually that expensive to print a decent custom stick art? :S

NEO0MJ

She printed it on some glossy paper that wasn't even close in quality to the stock art. She referred me to some other place where they can print this vinyl decal (I think that's what she said) but that it was gonna be expensive (around $20 the print). On SRK I've read that people have done this for less than $10. Am I not asking for the right thing? Is my template goofed? Or is it actually that expensive to print a decent custom stick art? :S

I got mine from Tek-Innovations and it wasn't that expensive.

Flock

Did a simple parts swap on my HRAP2 with my favorite parts. (LS-32 and PS-14-GNs)
tumblr_mkusoqmpQS1rmse96o2_500.jpg

tumblr_mkusoqmpQS1rmse96o4_500.jpg

It looks stock, but it's not!

Gorgeous.

I've got it in my head recently that I need a Hori Real Arcade PRO 1 / 2....
3 won't work because I want something I can use on my 360 (I have the Xtokki convertor) Saturn (I will acquire a ps1/ps2 to saturn convertor) and on My PS2 & PS3 (ps2 obviously on problem, ps3 i have a ps2 - ps3 convertor)

I'm not really down to do any modding with pcbs or the like as I have no soldering experience but given that I already have most of the controller convertors i need this stick seems like the best choice.

So I just got a couple of questions...

These convertors (primarily the Xtokki) aren't known to have lag are they?
Whats a fair price to be paying for a used, though looked after HRAP 1 or 2?
How easy are they to swap sticks and buttons on?
Compared to say a HRAP VX-SA where all the buttons are quick release and you can just unplug the stick. I'm hoping there is no soldering required basically?

I just love the design of these sticks - I wanna keep it stock in appearance and pop in a LS-32-01 and most likely just leave the sanwa buttons(they are sanwa OBSF-30's aren't they?) for some pure shmup heaven.

Top Bottom