• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We can't find January 2007 NPD Results Thread

ethelred

Rhindle said:
In terms of Jan sales:

Madden Wii <<< Madden PS3
COD3 Wii <<< COD PS3
NFSC Wii <<< NFSC PS3
etc.

Third party titles sold reasonably well at launch, but that could be due to the fact that there was only one decent first-party title available.

It's obviously too early to tell if third-party titles have a decent shot at selling on Wii. But initial signs are not hugely encouraging.

Well, to me it looks like:

#1 Wii third party game > #1 PS3 third party game
#2 Wii third party game > #2 PS3 third party game
#3 PS3 third party game > #3 Wii third party game
#4 PS3 third party game > #4 Wii third party game
#5 Wii third party game > #5 PS3 third party game

It's not outstanding, but it's not atrocious, either. I think looking at the actual numbers specific games are pulling in in terms of their lifetime sales shows that they're performing well overall, despite the fact that they've obviously slowed a bit in the third month. There was also a lot more competition this month. Regardless of whether it was first or third party, there was a high profile game released in January that pulled in tons of sales.

I guess I don't see it as discouraging, though I don't see any way the Wii is suddenly going to provide divinely-powered third party successes like the 360 is.

As to whether it's encouraging or not? I dunno. EA and Activision both seem encouraged by the numbers. I'm sure Atlus isn't complaining, and I doubt Konami is, either. THQ, on the other hand... heh.

marc^o^ said:
Third parties certainly make more profit on Wii than on PS3 though, so that may balance the picture.

They're pulling in more revenue on their PS3 games. We don't know the development budget or the advertising costs of their PS3 games versus their Wii games, so please don't make bs up that can't be solidly substantiated.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Rhindle said:
In terms of Jan sales:

COD3 Wii <<< COD PS3
NFSC Wii <<< NFSC PS3
etc.

Third party titles sold reasonably well at launch, but that could be due to the fact that there was only one decent first-party title available.

It's obviously too early to tell if third-party titles have a decent shot at selling on Wii. But initial signs are not hugely encouraging.
Third parties certainly make more profit on Wii than on PS3 though, so that may balance the picture.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Third party games are selling well on Wii. However, which are NOT selling are PS2 ports and even more so CG movie licensed games. You guys don't like that?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
unomas said:
So you think if Wii was $600 it would be flying off the shelves? :lol
This is probably the most retarded "what if" I've seen in a very long time...
unomas said:
I was responding to his rediculous response. Go back and read the posts again.
The only thing riduculous here are your posts.
-ImaginaryInsider said:
I don't know if I would say they "deliberately" created the Wii because they "knew" that's what consumers wanted. I think it could be argued that Nintendo created the Wii because they had no choice but to head in a different direction, and that they "hoped" it's what consumers wanted.
No choice? Do you really think Nintendo didn't have the financial back to create an HD powerhouse? Hint: they did, what they didn't have was the desire to go in such a direction.
-ImaginaryInsider said:
Also, I don't think the Gamecube really failed, at least from the angle the you infer. The Gamecube didn't "fail" because it was technologically competitive, it "failed" because of lousy support - hap-hazard 1st party release schedules and completely absent 3rd party support - especially in the later half of it's life.
Which shows that technological abilities of the machine are mostly irrelevant, as the Gamecube was most likely the most powerful console of its generation (with the Xbox being the easiest to tap power from , GC was extremely tricky to code efficiently)
-ImaginaryInsider said:
pretty good success where profitability (when compared with Xbox 1) are concerned.
Last time I checked, they still lost money on every X360 sold.

Losing less doesn't mean it's a success, just like scoring 15% instead of 10% isn't really a success, you still failed your test.
-ImaginaryInsider said:
Good point. It really makes you wonder how long the Wii will be around...
4-5 years, just like the previous generation.

Enough time to see if the Waggle's working, enough time to let HD tech take root, enough time for the hardware necessary to ouput HD to lower to acceptable pricepoints.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ethelred said:
They're pulling in more revenue on their PS3 games. We don't know the development budget or the advertising costs of their PS3 games versus their Wii games, so please don't make bs up that can't be solidly substantiated.
You may be right, but we keep hearing about high development costs for PS3. It'd be interesting to know if equal sales mean equal profits, maybe some gaffer working for a third party could answer?

Jammy

Banned
I thought this third party on Wii bullshit was debunked a long time ago.

The reason in January you have PS3's versions of Call of Duty 3 and Marvel: UA selling more than their Wii counterparts is because A) nothing noteworthy came out for PS3 that month B) There are very few PS3 games even on the market, so sales aren't as spread out C) People have to buy SOMETHING after Resistance, right?

Wii games don't need that 500,000 benchmark sold in order to turn a profit like Namco said games on the 360 and PS3 do. Wii games are built with last generation assets in mind. It's only a huge bonus when you see Wii games outselling PS3 counterparts (which has happened with every major third party game minus Need for Speed and Madden).

Rhindle, you put one too many ">"s in that post of yours. It's almost deceiving. Marvel might have sold better on PS3 in January, but overall, the Wii version is ">>>>" PS3 version. And the same thing goes for Tony Hawk, CoD, etc.

I picked this milestone kind of randomly, but it really shows the discrepancy in software sales between Wii and PS3. 9 Wii games have sold over 161,000 compared to 2 on PS3 I'm sure you can all guess what those games are and also remember how few games Nintendo has released on the Wii so far
three

unomas

Banned
Masklinn said:
This is probably the most retarded "what if" I've seen in a very long time...

The only thing riduculous here are your posts.

No choice? Do you really think Nintendo didn't have the financial back to create an HD powerhouse? Hint: they did, what they didn't have was the desire to go in such a direction.

Which shows that technological abilities of the machine are mostly irrelevant, as the Gamecube was most likely the most powerful console of its generation (with the Xbox being the easiest to tap power from , GC was extremely tricky to code efficiently)

Last time I checked, they still lost money on every X360 sold.

Losing less doesn't mean it's a success, just like scoring 15% instead of 10% isn't really a success, you still failed your test.

4-5 years, just like the previous generation.

Enough time to see if the Waggle's working, enough time to let HD tech take root, enough time for the hardware necessary to ouput HD to lower to acceptable pricepoints.

He implied Wii could sell just as well at the PS3 pricepoint, I'm not buying that sorry. Here's a couple of gems for ya, Wii 3rd party sales will be sluggish because Wii gamers tend to be younger overall and not have the same disposable income as a 360 gamer does. The types of games that appeal to Wii gamers tend not to be sports, shooters, and simulation racers. All of these types of games as well as others have carried the PS2 to a massive userbase.

Take a look at the Madden Wii numbers versus the PS3 numbers. Madden on PS3 has moved more units with just 2/3 of the userbase of the Wii. Once we get a little further outside the launch window the trends will continue to be the same. Wario Ware was of course the top seller for the month. Once the PS3 gets some decent software out the numbers will definitely pick up.

If Sony drops the price $200 on both SKU's how far in the red will that put them?

ethelred said:
Well, to me it looks like:

#1 Wii third party game > #1 PS3 third party game
#2 Wii third party game > #2 PS3 third party game
#3 PS3 third party game > #3 Wii third party game
#4 PS3 third party game > #4 Wii third party game
#5 Wii third party game > #5 PS3 third party game
Jammy said:
B) There are very few PS3 games even on the market, so sales aren't as spread out
Precisely. By the January count it's something like 33 Wii games to 18 PS3 games. Not only is what ethelred said true, but by default so is

#15 Wii third party game > Non-existent PS3 game
#16 Wii third party game > Non-existent PS3 game
#30 Wii third party game > Non-existent PS3 game

vasuba

Banned
marc^o^ said:
You may be right, but we keep hearing about high development costs for PS3. It'd be interesting to know if equal sales mean equal profits, maybe some gaffer working for a third party could answer?

Development costs are certainly much higher on the Ps3. Sony themselves said they invested 30 million dollars into getting resistance made. while lesser caliber games will certainly not cost 30 million they arent gonna be near the cost of wii development.

Its been common knowledge for sometime the Wii development costs are super sexy attractive to companies.

Eteric Rice

unomas said:
He implied Wii could sell just as well at the PS3 pricepoint, I'm not buying that sorry. Here's a couple of gems for ya, Wii 3rd party sales will be sluggish because Wii gamers tend to be younger overall and not have the same disposable income as a 360 gamer does. The types of games that appeal to Wii gamers tend not to be sports, shooters, and simulation racers. All of these types of games as well as others have carried the PS2 to a massive userbase.

Proof?

No?

Okay.

vasuba said:
Development costs are certainly much higher on the Ps3. Sony themselves said they invested 30 million dollars into getting resistance made. while lesser caliber games will certainly not cost 30 million they arent gonna be near the cost of wii development.

Its been common knowledge for sometime the Wii development costs are super sexy attractive to companies.

If we only knew how much money Nintendo has spent on Zelda: TP over the past 3-4 years. It's certainly in the Resistance range.

Just pointing that out.

Mrbob

Who knows if PS3 versions of multiplatform games are more expensive than Wii versions. After all PS3 versions are 360 ports at the moment. ;) Nintendo fans conveniently ignoring the Xbox 360 again.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I own 3 non Nintendo Wii games already. SSX Blur will make 4

You buy everything though. I'm shocked it is only 4.

unomas

Banned
Mrbob said:
Who knows if PS3 versions of multiplatform games are more expensive than Wii versions. After all PS3 versions are 360 ports at the moment. ;) Nintendo fans conveniently ignoring the Xbox 360 again.

You buy everything though. I'm shocked it is only 4.

Yeah, I'm kinda curious how many games you currently own for next gen systems all together?

Eteric Rice

unomas said:
Ummmk..........how many Gamecube games from the genres I listed sold 1 million units? Did you miss the Madden on PS3>Wii numbers with 2/3 the userbase?

So, the Wii is the Gamecube?

What?

What are we talking about again?

And as for the the Madden PS3 > Wii Madden, of course... There isn't exactly many games to choose from right now on the PS3.

Link

The Autumn Wind
unomas said:
Once the PS3 gets some decent software out the numbers will definitely pick up.
Thanks for completely ignoring my post and bringing up this flawed argument again.

vasuba

Banned
As others have alrready said a million timesonlyto be ignored.

The Wiis Game library right now is roughly 33 Games. That means theres a ton of diversity for potential buyers to sort through. Diversity means titles will lag behind other titles.

PS3 isnt exactly screaming up the release charts so the same old games since november are selling over and over.

Nintendo the other day stated they have 27 Games to release by june. They basiclly could release 1 new game a week til june. All the games wont be great sure but that number of releasesmeans evenmore number disparity as variety exists

unomas

Banned
Link said:
Thanks for completely ignoring my post and bringing up this flawed argument again.

Because we all know that even though the Jan NPD points in the other direction that suddenly Nintendo gamers are gonna start buying all sorts of 3rd party stuff in addition to 1st party titles. I'm having a hard time believing that theory, I'll wait for it to unfold in next months sales thread.

Eteric Rice

unomas said:
Because we all know that even though the Jan NPD points in the other direction that suddenly Nintendo gamers are gonna start buying all sorts of 3rd party stuff in addition to 1st party titles. I'm having a hard time believing that theory, I'll wait for it to unfold in next months sales thread.

It's hard to buy first party titles that don't exist. And hell, when they DO come out, they only come out one at a time.

You act like Nintendo dropped a ton of first party titles in order to kill everyone.

unomas said:

"wait til next month" is the new "wait til Nintendo Spaceworld"

Mrbob

unomas said:
Yeah, I'm kinda curious how many games you currently own for next gen systems all together?

Ok, since you asked nicely. :)

Xbox 360 --> 12 (3 of these are the Burger King games though)
PS3 ---------> 1
Wii ----------> 1

Crom

Rhindle said:
In terms of Jan sales:

COD3 Wii <<< COD PS3
NFSC Wii <<< NFSC PS3
etc.

Very Misleading Rhindle

A few examples
COD3 has sold more lifetime on Wi than PS3i for example but was outsold in Jan.
Marvel UA sold more on PS3 Jan too but overall the Wii version is ahead lifetime.

The exception of course is Madden. Playstations have always been Madden machines. The Wii version is actually doing much better than I expected and is very close to the PS3 version overall.

I can't post exact numbers because I don't want to be banned but Wii Software has sold twice as much as PS3 software.

For Example
Lets say Wii = 4 mil software units
Ps3 = 2 mil software units

unomas

Banned
Mrbob said:
Ok, since you asked nicely. :)

Xbox 360 --> 12 (3 of these are the Burger King games though)
PS3 ---------> 1
Wii ----------> 1

Now I'm curious what Icebreezy's numbers are because he seems to buy everything.

Jokeropia

unomas said:
Wait til we get outside the launch window....same ol same ol.
lol.

And actually, January NPD also had more Wii third party sales than PS3 third party sales, so you can't really claim that things are pointing in your direction.

doicare

Now we've got the canadian numbers in, adding them to the u.s. and japanese numbers the total looks like this:

January wii total n.a. + japan = 994,431
January ps3 total n.a. + japan = 407,000
January xbox360 total n.a. + japan = 356,000

Link

The Autumn Wind
unomas said:
Did you even read my post? Do you even know what I'm referring to?

Mrbob

unomas said:
Now I'm curious what Icebreezy's numbers are because he seems to buy everything.

Hah, the comment was more light hearted and not to be taken seriously. You must have missed some of his famous posts where he mentions he has the game paid in full and shows his preorder list of like 100 items. ;)

PkunkFury

LanceStern said:
Interesting note: IGN changed their article talking about Wii third party sales. They are no longer sluggish.

Stupid IGN

:lol maybe they were getting their info from this awful thread. It's a shame we don't have all the numbers through November so we can end this stupid arguement.

I still don't understand what makes people think the average game customer is able to distinguish between first and 3rd party games. Nintendo has a marketing advantage over its 3rd parties, but they've been working very hard to share that over the last few years. That's why Wii Play came out now instead of at launch, when it would have killed Ubisoft sales

Ajax

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Proof?

No?

Okay.

Are you daft? People keep explaining to you simple facts but you keep ignoring them and preaching the Nintendo gospel.

Some nfans are acting like religious fanatics nowadays. You idiots don't even care that Nintendo is screwing you with the Wii price and inferior hardware or the lack of support with the console or the lack of effort to approach third party publishers or the pathetic online plan. Like ****ING SHEEP you only care how much Wii sells and how much money Nintendo makes. It's ****ing pathetic.

andthebeatgoeson

Ajax said:
Are you daft? People keep explaining to you simple facts but you keep ignoring them and preaching the Nintendo gospel.

Some nfans are acting like religious fanatics nowadays. You idiots don't even care that Nintendo is screwing you with the Wii price and inferior hardware or the lack of support with the console or the lack of effort to approach third party publishers or the pathetic online plan. Like ****ING SHEEP you only care how much Wii sells and how much money Nintendo makes. It's ****ing pathetic.
Haha, that's funny. You rant about fanatics then spew crap that only a fanatic could come up with.

Edit: Nor was his response that out of wack. I can't comment on any of his other posts but nobody can provide proof that 3rd Party Wii sales are sluggish. It seems many are being very vague that some 3rd party games are outselling their PS3 counterparts. And since we can discuss the finer points of NPD, it's looking harder and harder to prove a statement he was rebutting.

Jokeropia

Ajax said:
Actually, the fact is that the people you refer to have no idea what they're talking about.

Ajax said:
The bitter tears, they are delicious! :lol

Ajax

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Haha, that's funny. You rant about fanatics then spew crap that only a fanatic could come up with.

Uh I don't think I'm inaccurate in any of the serious Wii problems that I listed. Instead of a kneejerk reaction I'd prefer an articulate post that points the part where I'm wrong.

edit: Jokeropia since I know your attitude of attacking anyone that says something negative about your precious Nintendo I assume that the post above is a reply to me. I have you on ignore and I don't care.

crbowen

Ajax said:

Yeah man!!! Keep raging against the machine!

HyperionX

Wow, Nfans really only care about Nintendo "beating" the competition.

This is a product people buy, not a sports team. I do not want my "team" winning but provided a bad experience in the process.

KINGMOKU

Ajax said:

What? Dont buy it, and just ignore all Nintendo fans you dont like, simple as that.

Your little rant is worse then any n-fan I've seen recently.

I love the Wii so far, and have very little problems with it. You hate it becuase it's Nintendo.

Screwing us on the price? it's 250$ with a pretty damn good game.

I guess 440,000 people were pathetic in the Month of January.

Oh and by the way, I only care about how much money they make, as it has a direct affect on my state of mind. Knowing Nintendo is doing well, fills my day with wonder and awe, and I have that extra spring in my step, becuase even if it does rain, it wont get me down becuase it will be the rain of millions of bitter Microsoft/Sony fanboy tears, wich I greedily lap up us I sing to the heavens my love for my beloved. My Nintendo.

Jokeropia

Wow, the trolls are all coming out of their hiding now. :lol
Ajax said:
And joketopia since I know you I assume that the post above is a reply to me. I have you on ignore and I don't care.
I guess you can't handle the truth. I almost feel sorry for you. Almost.
HyperionX said:
This is a product people buy, not a sports team. I do not want my "team" winning but provided a bad experience in the process.
Actually, they're winning by providing an awesome experience to Nintendo fans. (And tons of new people as well, it would seem.) That it also happens to take place in a manner that enrages Nintendo-haters this much, well, that's just icing on the cake. :lol

andthebeatgoeson

Ajax said:
Uh I don't think I'm inaccurate in any of the serious Wii problems that I listed. Instead of a kneejerk reaction I'd prefer an articulate post that points the part where I'm wrong.
Ok.
Ajax said:

1. Inferior hardware or hardware priced right? I don't know nor do I care. The two leaders of the technological race had to increase their launching price just to accomodate their 'superior' hardware. But pretty polygons aren't my preference. I like them but I have to draw a line. So, what do you want? What do I want? Great games that play great for a decent price. All of these things can be had on any console or handheld, so I don't necessarily call the wii inferior more than the PS3 is 2 generations ahead. Just different values from each company.

2. Lack of Support: I wish the Wii could have more software like the PS3...oh wait. There are 30 plus Wii games to buy and a ton of VC games and silly software like weather, photos, mii's. Not groundbreaking but more of a distraction. I play the DS more than the Wii but it's not the lack of support that you vaguely mentioned with no reasoning. Launched against a competitor, the Wii has more software than the leading giant of the past 2 generations.

3rd party publishers: They won't resemble PS2 but this generation, I don't think anybody will for at least 1-2 years. But they have quite a bit of announcements, that may only be ports but it's a start. Nor have we had any evidence to directly states Nintendo is avoiding or rejecting 3rd parties and publishers. Actually, a story came out a few weeks ago about Reggie wooing Rockstar. And now Manhunt 2 is coming. So, you ranted about religious zealots but followed up with a fanboyish, unsubstantiated line. I would hope you could prove yourself right.

3. Online: You're right. Their online plans suck. But then again, meeting people like you on Xbox Live doesn't make beg for a great online plan. This may sound stupid but I liked playing Counterstrike on Xbox offline (yes, against bots) because I don't have any close friends who play online, let alone that game. So, yes, nintendo's plan for online games suck. End of story.

Will you try and calm down and prove what you said correct?

Top Bottom