• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
gofreak said:
120GB SSDs are ridiculously expensive :lol

Are there any people who know serious info about SSDs? How much of the pricing is by virtue of the usual ridiculous price increase to make a profit or are SSDs seriously that much more expensive to manufacture?

Burai

shitonmychest57
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Are there any people who know serious info about SSDs? How much of the pricing is by virtue of the usual ridiculous price increase to make a profit or are SSDs seriously that much more expensive to manufacture?

The latter.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Machado said:
can't wait to e3, is GAF going to stream conferences?

Stream? nope. Comment like crazy yes. I think websites like 1up, engadget, giant bomb will stream the conference. And if Sony and Microsoft does the same thing they did last year the conferences should be on PSN and Live.

HUELEN10

U K Narayan said:
This thing better have PS2 support.

I will kill a beast if it doesn't.
UKAV1.png

OH SNAP!

CurseoftheGods said:
Don't think it will be at E3 if it launches in the fall. It would kill their sales.

If its at E3 it wont release in Fall, they need to get it out as early as posible this year to meet that extra 3 million.. coupled with the expected loss its clear they intend to price drop. Heres my hypotheses. Announce 349 Slim at E3 for September (Thanks Sin) and also a price drop to $299 for old model. 299'er sells out whatever stocks gone. Announce 299 slim at Tokyo Game Show (Which is October isnt it?). Holiday sales Gangbusters.

pseudocaesar said:
If its at E3 it wont release in Fall, they need to get it out as early as posible this year to meet that extra 3 million.. coupled with the expected loss its clear they intend to price drop. Heres my hypotheses. Announce 349 Slim at E3 for September (Thanks Sin) and also a price drop to $299 for old model. 299'er sells out whatever stocks gone. Announce 299 slim at Tokyo Game Show (Which is October isnt it?). Holiday sales Gangbusters.

Bundle the Slim with FFXIII in Japan and you have megaton.

Ponn

Banned
If its 350 or less and Gamestop does some kind of trade in deal on old model PS3's I would jump on this. I prefer the slim models plus bigger HDD and external PSU which I prefer (i just feels it helps prolong system life and cuts down heat).

-viper-

Banned
Click said:
FF > GT
That's right, I said it.
GT has more worldwide appeal to the casual fan than FF does.

Do you seriously expect FF to set the charts on fire in the likes of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, England for weeks and weeks? GT5 could easily do that.

Click

Banned
-viper- said:
GT has more worldwide appeal to the casual fan than FF does.

Do you seriously expect FF to set the charts on fire in the likes of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, England for weeks and weeks? GT5 could easily do that.

I never said anything about "appeal," or "casual fan."
But IMO, more people know about, care about, and enjoy the FF franchise than they do GT.

Oh, and Europe != world.

thuway

Bundle with Little Big Planet and a cheap mic. Its an oppurtunity to relaunch, rebrand, and invite an entirely new audience. Do-Not-Fuck-This-Up.

I really am worried about the firmware. If the firmware includes the cross game chat, and voice messaging. Sony will have a very strong position with this relaunch.

Click

Banned
thuway said:
Bundle with Little Big Planet and a cheap mic. Its an oppurtunity to relaunch, rebrand, and invite an entirely new audience. Do-Not-Fuck-this-up.

$1.20 mic that plugs into the DualShock 3, right?

-viper-

Banned
Click said:
I never said anything about "appeal," or "casual fan."
But IMO, more people know about, care about, and enjoy the FF franchise than they do GT.

Oh, and Europe != world.
Well it's part of the world. GT4 sold like 10 million copies worldwide. Has a single FF game sold more than that on the PS2?

Wollan

Click said:
FF > GT
That's right, I said it.
Well, not in sales obviously. GT3 sold twice the amount of FFX (both the biggest franchise outing on that platform).
The PS1 FF games are still the highlight (success wise) of the series.

In terms of quality? GT is the final fantasy of driving games and Final Fantasy is the gran turismo of jrpgs.

thuway

Bundling with either GT5 or Killzone 2 would be a very stupid move. There is too much potential for those games to sell to Joe Sixpack Xbox 360 owner while he's making his PS3 purchase. Games that aren't selling whatsoever are the ones to bundle.

Uncharted, Motorstorm 2, and Little Big Planet carry the perfect pedigree to be bundled.

Goldrusher

SolidSnakex said:
If they do a worldwide bundle the GT5 would be the best choice.
It's SCEA that needs to start bundling.

SCEE's Q4, Q1 and Q2 bundles; excluding movie bundles:

m9ue00.jpg
bg4myv.png
16c88sp.png

2n08nzb.png
1z720c4.jpg
eqeers.png

2exx8js.png
2moxmvn.jpg
21mhohz.jpg

mkg9s.png
2ajulae.png
eg4qya.png

280nq6o.png
2bxw7a.png
x51g87.png

2lxjbdi.png
1zpifma.png

SCEA's Q4, Q1 and Q2 bundles:

szxzxu.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SCEE knows what they're doing, as does SCEJ, bundle-wise. It's almost guaranteed that both of those regions will do a GT5 and FFXIII bundle.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Psychotext said:
I think people expecting the slim to come out at a price lower than the current PS3 are going to have a rude awakening. I'd expect it to be positioned (temporarily) as a premium version of the PS3, likely taking the place of the current 160gb model.

I'd say it's quite possible that it could enter at the price of the current PS3 though (and the current PS3 gets a price drop). Then they can transition to it as the default model when stocks of the behemoth are sold off.

That is definitely a very realistic view.

The "slim" PS3 will likely be sold at the $400 price point for a while, and they lower the price point of the "large" PS3's already at stock. Eventually once it sells out, the newer PS3 model will be the default console which will allow them to reach lower price points that were not possible earlier.

edgefusion

Hcoregamer00 said:

The "slim" PS3 will likely be sold at the $400 price point for a while, and they lower the price point of the "large" PS3's already at stock. Eventually once it sells out, the newer PS3 model will be the default console which will allow them to reach lower price points that were not possible earlier.

I disagree, since when has Sony selling the PS3 as a "premium" console got them anywhere but 3rd place? I think Sony would have learnt it's lesson by now that pricey consoles don't sell as well as not-so-pricey consoles. Introducing a new, slim console at a higher price-point would be nuts. What Sony really needs is to cut manufacturing costs so they can shift the console at a lower price, it's been quite clear that the price has been the sticking point for so many people.

I think if they introduce a slim PS3 it'll be because it helps them cut costs and the console will be cheaper for the consumer and Sony.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hcoregamer00 said:

Correct.

It will let them make a nice fat profit for a few months. Then after clearing out the current 80s and 160s (at 299/349), slot it down to 299/349 and get another revitalization of sales. Then pack it with GT5 or LBP or FF depending on region and time and a third sales boost that can carry them to the 13 million target.

I sure hope it comes sooner rather than later though. I hope its not a late fall product, but a July/August thing.

I will have a BC PS3 available for sale when these come out :D

AndyD said:
I sure hope it comes sooner rather than later though. I hope its not a late fall product, but a July/August thing.

I have a feeling we'll see the PSP Go before the PS3 Slim. I'm sure someone who has inside information would know if it's true or not, but that's my hunch.

Ponn

Banned
Kagari said:
They've already fixed that.

No they haven't. They aren't even remotely in the same vicinity as making up for no PS1 games yet. Bowling and a couple Spyro games do not bring the U.S. Store even close to being on par with the Japanese store. Even EU store for that matter.

DrXym

Hcoregamer00 said:

When the 80Gb model turned up in Europe, the existing 40Gb model's price was dropped by €100 and they only sold the 80Gb in a premium bundle for €100 more. The bundle was a few games and an extra controller. Eventually the 40Gbs are cleaned out and the 80Gb becomes unbundled and sold at the lower price.

I hope something similar will happen with the slim. A price drop I mean.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HUELEN10 said:
Really? How so? Bring me up to speed, I have been PS3-less for some time sadly...

They started releasing them again. Two weeks in a row. If we get them again this week, then I'll be impressed, even if they're still not up to par with the Japanese store. But they redesigned the PS1 icons and what not on the storefront, so maybe they're being serious about it this time.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
edgefusion said:
I disagree, since when has Sony selling the PS3 as a "premium" console got them anywhere but 3rd place? I think Sony would have learnt it's lesson by now that pricey consoles don't sell as well as not-so-pricey consoles. Introducing a new, slim console at a higher price-point would be nuts. What Sony really needs is to cut manufacturing costs so they can shift the console at a lower price, it's been quite clear that the price has been the sticking point for so many people.

I think if they introduce a slim PS3 it'll be because it helps them cut costs and the console will be cheaper for the consumer and Sony.

Who said it was a higher price point? My assertion was that this hypothetical "new" PS3 would be sold at the current price point and the original one will be price dropped to move stock. Then after the "new" PS3 becomes the default model, then they will move the new model to the same price point.

The idea is the same as last year between the PSP-3000 and the PSP-2000. The PSP-2000 price was lowered in many retailers while the PSP-3000 stuck with the current price. It made you pay a "premium" for newness, even if it was the same price.

androvsky

Ponn01 said:
No they haven't. They aren't even remotely in the same vicinity as making up for no PS1 games yet. Bowling and a couple Spyro games do not bring the U.S. Store even close to being on par with the Japanese store. Even EU store for that matter.

I like how you didn't mention R-Type Delta and KoF '99, which are both important games people want. It might not be the games you or I want, they're not RPGs, but it is a good step in the right direction.

Ponn

Banned
androvsky said:
I like how you didn't mention R-Type Delta and KoF '99, which are both important games people want. It might not be the games you or I want, they're not RPGs, but it is a good step in the right direction.

Ok. I humbly apoligize for forgetting to mention those two games.

But to stay on point, those games still do not "fix" the situation. It's a step forward, but its like a step forward in a marathon race at this point with the Japanese store nearing the finish the line.

I absolutely refuse to give SCEA any inkling that i'm satisified with what they have done to let them become complacent again. They have a hell of a lot of work to do.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ponn01 said:

But to stay on point, those games still do not "fix" the situation. It's a step forward, but its like a step forward in a marathon race at this point with the Japanese store nearing the finish the line.

I absolutely refuse to give SCEA any inkling that i'm satisified with what they have done to let them become complacent again. They have a hell of a lot of work to do.

You have a point. But they will never release say 100 at once to catch up. They will always be behind. As long as there is a steady flow, I and many others will be satisfied.

androvsky

Ponn01 said:

Yeah, I don't blame you either.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ponn01 said:

well to be fair ..Kakeru and Hikaru are Japanese and in SCEJ HQ so they can catch JPSN monkey easily if he escape and send him to his cage to push the release button , but there is no one to catch US PSN monkey .

Rayne.S

Banned
max-pain said:
If this is announced for 399 euros than there will no ps3 price cut at E3.

Sony Computer Entertainment Playstation 3 CON PS3 80GB + inFamous 399,99

Guess what ..... thats exactly what was listed ;)

androvsky

max-pain said:
If this is announced for 399 euros than there will no ps3 price cut at E3.

Or Europe doesn't get a price cut right away. Or they have to change the pricing because it's a last minute thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom