• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stop with the mobile ringning stuff. It's a red herring.

You're a really informative "insider" :p

Haha.

I don't even try to claim I am. I speculate a shit lot with my mom and siblings too. We just don't try to dig it out of our dad. He's enough pressure as it is, and it's not the time to be an annoyance.

All I know is of course they have leads, but there's no proof since the plane is still missing. Then again that's really just common sense to know.

pretty good explanation on reddit about why the cell phones were still ringing

I think this is the cell network's way of calling out to a phone that suddenly and abnormally dropped off the network. I assume most phones when they are powered off normally or automatically send a final goodbye message to the cell network to let it know that the phone was intentionally disconnected rather than by a momentary reception loss or other issue. That way if your phone briefly disconnects because you went under an overpass or blocked its signal it can begin receiving a call when its reconnected moments later, instead of sending the caller to voicemail.

aeroslash

Oh, yeah, obviously. By "contact" I meant in terms of the plane being actually visible to radars. I'd assume it had already "vanished" in that sense before the problem occured, given the last known location.

Are you the A3xx pilot? I know there's one on GAF but can't remember the username :p

320. I don't know if there's anyone else!

That seems plausible. So plane did fly away from the initial comms failure point, descended to an altitude below radar coverage before entering any surrounding country's radar reach, and then possibly flew even a bit further below the radar and ultimately crashed in who knows where.

Yes. That's a possible scenario.

I'm not too sure of it though. It would be extremely bad luck...and most of times, accidents happen because of a chain of failures, so i'm sure there's something else.

Goodlife

it took 5 days of searching before wreckage from Air France 447 was found.

That was in a more sparse area of the ocean though, with depths of up to 1000m.

The area where they expected this plane to come down was in one of the busiest shipping channels in the world with sea depths of 100m.
If it had come down where they expected it to then you'd have thought they'd have found something by now

SmokeMaxX

Maybe something rendered the pilots unconscious (cockpit's windshield punctured? co-pilot attacking other pilots?). I imagine since they were still cruising, the auto-pilot would continue flying for a while until they were low on fuel? This wouldn't explain why they just dropped off the face of the earth though and they'd probably show up on radar somewhere if this happened eh?

So bizarre.

tanuki

There are pictures of the two guys with fake passports. They look like Iranian men, and not at all like Balotelli.

I think we need FlutterPuffs to come here and clarify what was meant by that statement. Seriously bizarre, even more so, now that the photos have been released.

Antti

I think we need FlutterPuffs to come here and clarify what was meant by that statement. Seriously bizarre, even more so, now that the photos have been released.

To me it seemed like all the guy knew was that the passengers were Italian, and was suggesting he doesn't know what an Italian looks like as an Italian can look like any other ethnicity, using Balotelli as an example.

The last thing he needs is his son questioning him about this to appease a forum he goes in when he's already under pressure to find the plane as soon as possible.

So I won't. He doesn't need that.

And while it would be cool to get some insider information (or any information at all), FlutterPuffs shouldn't post anything he hears from his dad here (if he gets anything at all. I guess he's pretty busy/stressed with actually trying to find the aircraft compared to being bothered by our feels).

Yep.

I pinched this from the Guardian website...

6dC.jpg

Maybe I need my eyes tested, but they look very similar.

Pandemic

1103_jonti_sp.ashx

873220-9a5f3456-a8f7-11e3-9a89-1de6a43f024e.jpg

Jonti Roos, who lives in Melbourne, came forward with photos of her posing with a man she claims is 27-year-old Fariq Abdul Hamid - the first officer on missing flight MH370.

She told A Current Affair she and a friend were ready to board a flight from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur in 2011 when the two pilots asked if they would spend the duration of the international flight in the cockpit.

Ms Roos says they were seated in the cockpit during takeoff and landing and that the pilots even asked the girls to stay a few nights in Kuala Lumpur with them.

"Throughout the entire flight they were talking to us and they were actually smoking throughout the flight, which I don't think they're allowed to do," Ms Roos said.

"I know for the whole time they weren't facing the front of the plane and actually flying.
Source

Interesting stuff.. For a not so experienced co-pilot, allowing people into the cockpit is well, pretty cocky.

Fjolle

According to a statement he wanted to empathize that nationality and skin color aren't related. I guess that it's just a kind of awkward statement made worse by shoddy reporting.

And while it would be cool to get some insider information (or any information at all), FlutterPuffs shouldn't post anything he hears from his dad here (if he gets anything at all. I guess he's pretty busy/stressed with actually trying to find the aircraft compared to being bothered by our feels).

I pinched this from the Guardian website...

http://i.picpar.com/6dC.jpg[IMG]

Maybe I need my eyes tested, but they look very similar.[/QUOTE]

Someone posted a picture yesterday claiming to know them along with a text:

[QUOTE=http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s0t7d4][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiZ4CurCYAAUOFM.jpg:large
Page removed from CNN, with photo and note from alleged contact of 2 Iranian nationals on #MH370, Pouria and Reza.

Posted 12 hours ago by
mamadDC Follow

By mamadDC | Posted 12 hours ago | kuala lumpur, Malaysia

hi sir/miss
i have some information about the 2people who was in MH370 with stolen passport.
i got the information from one of the passenger mother.
and i have they picture and they real information.
on of them was my high school friend.
and i already give the information to the malaysian airline. and im on contact with his mother and i can get more information.
i thought maybe my information can help to the world.
and i put the last picture of them.
2nd on the left is pouria with Austrian passport and 1st on the right is reza with italy passport.
tank you

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
1103_jonti_sp.ashx

873220-9a5f3456-a8f7-11e3-9a89-1de6a43f024e.jpg

Source

Interesting stuff.. For a not so experienced co-pilot, allowing people into the cockpit is well, pretty cocky.

Man........................................ not exactly a vote of confidence if these are the kind of guys that piloted the plane...

What an irresponsible thing to do just to score some ladies :/

akaoni

Banned
Is that second picture taken during an actual flight.... Fuck. Me. Welp.

So fire seems very likely or maybe they doing stupid shit in the cockpit again which is why they couldn't be contacted, like sex.

Fjolle

The Austrian guy who had the other passport is 61. How did a 19-year old guy manage to board using that passport? Sigh :(

areal

Another significant development reported by The Aviation Herald:

On Mar 11th 2014 Malaysia's Air Force reported their primary radar data suggest, the aircraft may have turned west over the Gulf of Thailand at about 1000 meters/3000 feet below the original flight level and flown past the east coast near Khota Baru and the west coast of Malaysia near Kedah, the radar return was last seen at 02:40L near Pulau Perak in the Straits of Malacca, about 285nm westsouthwest of the last known (secondary) radar position.

trinest

I don't know about you but Malacca Straits doesn't sound like the way to Beijing. Seems odd that the plane went out that far. What could be the reasons why it would be there, still flying? Surely if it was looking for somewhere to land it could of done that in Malaysia?

syllogism

I fail to see a plausible explanation as to how the plane could have been over the straits of Malacca. Seems completely impossible, at least if the last contact position was accurate.

trinest

I fail to see a plausible explanation as to how the plane could have been over the straits of Malacca. Seems completely impossible, at least if the last contact position was accurate.

I want to know what Pulau Perak is to them and why it isn't on Google Maps.

Fjolle

Ikael

I've talked with my father about this accident (he's an airline pilot with +20 years of experience), and his conclussions were... unsettling:

- This crash is very unlikely. The airplane has a extremely great safety record, and the pilots were skilled.

- The whole "shuddenly losing beacon sign" is perplexing. You just don't loose aircraft signal on a whim, much less its black box's

- They are purpousedly not disclosing information that has been readily avaible on previous crashes. He expects that this could very well be not a accident

Munin

So fire seems very likely or maybe they doing stupid shit in the cockpit again which is why they couldn't be contacted, like sex.

I think you would be pretty shocked to see how little pilots actually do at cruise altitude...the plane flies itself at that point.

syllogism

Better source

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/11/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140311

(Reuters) - Malaysia's military believes it tracked a missing jetliner by radar over the Strait of Malacca, far from where it last made contact with civilian air traffic control off the country's east coast, a military source told Reuters.

In one of the most baffling mysteries in recent aviation history, a massive search operation for the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER, now in its fourth day, has so far found no trace of the aircraft or the 239 passengers and crew.

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," the military official, who has been briefed on investigations, told Reuters.

The Strait of Malacca, one of the world's busiest shipping channels, runs along Malaysia's west coast. The airline said on Saturday that radio and radar contact with Flight MH370 was lost off the east coast Malaysian town of Kota Bharu.

akaoni

Banned
Is that particularly bad? Assuming the conditions are fine and the plane is running on autopilot?

Would you want to be on a plane with pilots who are keeping the travel pussy they brought along in the cockpit and posing for selfies while at the controls? I know I wouldn't.

SmokeMaxX

Maybe something rendered the pilots unconscious (cockpit's windshield punctured? co-pilot attacking other pilots?). I imagine since they were still cruising, the auto-pilot would continue flying for a while until they were low on fuel? This wouldn't explain why they just dropped off the face of the earth though and they'd probably show up on radar somewhere if this happened eh?

So bizarre.

Seems like there's precedent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522
Shortly after the cabin altitude warning sounded, the captain radioed the Helios operations centre and reported "the take-off configuration warning on" and "cooling equipment normal and alternate off line".[3] He then spoke to the ground engineer and repeatedly stated that the "cooling ventilation fan lights were off".[3] The engineer (the one who had conducted the pressurization leak check) asked "Can you confirm that the pressurization panel is set to AUTO?" The captain, however, disregarded the question and instead asked in reply, "Where are my equipment cooling circuit breakers?".[12] This was the last communication with the aircraft.[13]

The aircraft continued to climb until it leveled off at FL340, approximately 34,000 feet (10,000 m).[12] Between 09:30 and 09:40, Nicosia ATC repeatedly attempted to contact the aircraft, without success.[12] At 09:37, the aircraft passed from Cyprus Flight Information Region (FIR) into Athens FIR, without making contact with Athens ATC.[12] Nineteen attempts to contact the aircraft between 10:12 and 10:50 also met with no response,[14] and at 10:40 the aircraft entered the holding pattern for Athens Airport, at the KEA VHF omnidirectional range, still at FL340.[15] It remained in the holding pattern, under control of the auto-pilot, for the next seventy minutes.[15]

Two F-16 fighter aircraft from the Hellenic Air Force 111th Combat Wing were scrambled from Nea Anchialos Air Base to establish visual contact.[16] They intercepted the passenger jet at 11:24 and observed that the first officer was slumped motionless at the controls and the captain's seat was empty.[17] They also reported that oxygen masks were dangling in the passenger cabin.[15]
It wouldn't explain why they weren't detected on radar though, unless they were and we haven't been told until now (as in the post a few posts up).

Munin

Oh please tell me, what do they do? And...do you know for sure or it's something you've heard?

Yeah you're a pilot and everyone else isn't we get it.

I'm not saying it's not unprofessional for pilots to fuck around like that but let's not pretend the plane is going to nosedive into the ground the minute they turn their back to the controls.

So there was an orgy? Jesus, these theories are getting ridiculous around here.

Pandemic

I'm not saying it's not unprofessional for pilots to fuck around like that but let's not pretend the plane is going to nosedive into the ground the minute they turn their back to the controls.

According to the girls that were allowed into the cockpit, they didn't even look at the controls,
"I know for the whole time they weren't facing the front of the plane and actually flying.''

aeroslash

It's tottaly unprofessional. And no, the aircraft would fly perfectly, but that's not a reason to say we do nothing during cruise. There are a lot of parameters to check, fuel, weather, comunications and other traffics for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom