• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undead

I was reading a story today that they found all sorts of things washed up including a seat, luggage with stuff inside etc. back in May. The locals thought it was just refuse and burnt it.

It really boggles my mind how someone could come across a seat like that and burn it, I mean surely something about the way it looked would have screamed "airplane"

It really boggles my mind how someone could come across a seat like that and burn it, I mean surely something about the way it looked would have screamed "airplane"

This is the story:

Mr Ferrier had no idea of the significance of the objects. Flotsam and jetsam are part of his everyday life on the inhospitable beach, where nobody dares to enter the fierce waves and shark-infested waters.

"I found a couple of suitcases too, around the same time, full of things," he said, almost in passing.

What did you do with them?

"I burnt them," he said, pointing to the pile of ashes lying on the boulders. "That's my job. I collect rubbish and burn it. I could have found many things that belonged to the plane, and burnt them, without realising."

He also saw the wing part that washed up on Wednesday – although in May, the barnacles encrusting its side were still alive. By the time it washed ashore again this week, the crustaceans were dead.

"Like the seat, I didn't know what it was," he said. "I sat on it. I was fishing for macabi [bonefish] and used it as a table. I really didn't pay it much attention – until I saw it on the news."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/plane-d...ion-island-20150802-gipugz.html#ixzz3heHA9T3Q

You have to wonder about these people. I mean I realise it is far from the search area but a plane disappears and luggage washes up on the shore full of people's things. You'd think they would put 2 and 2 together and contact the authorities.

So still no confirmation if the debris is from mh370?

It has been confirmed as from a 777 and there is only one of those missing. It also showed up in an area where the debris would arrive at around this time from where they take it went down.

It's as good as confirmed.

seanoff

There have been 5 hull losses of 777s

Heathrow -landing 300m short fuel icing

cairo - at the gate - pilot oxy supply

asiana San Fran - incapable pilots

MH370 - southern indian ocean

MH 17 - shot down by the Russian in Ukraine

Only one of these is even remotely likely to wash up on Reunion.

I understand being careful, but that part number only exist on one aircraft type.

Undead

Representatives from Malaysia, the United States, China, France and Boeing are due to participate in a "verification" of the flaperon on Wednesday.

From here

Apparently cops are saying it wasn't a door but it measured 27 inches, they also found another smaller piece, can't link to site or pics due to site being banned but here is an indirect link, scroll down to post 163

Edit, scratch that, new link

raindoc

From here

Apparently cops are saying it wasn't a door but it measured 27 inches, they also found another smaller piece, can't link to site or pics due to site being banned but here is an indirect link, scroll down to post 163

some interesting bits from the censored source:

Robin Beaman, a marine geologist at Australia's James Cook University, said it would be worth studying the crustaceans to gauge their age, which might indicate how long the fragment had been adrift and whether they are unique to a certain part of the ocean.

Erik van Sebille, an oceanographer at Imperial College London, added: 'There's different barnacles in different parts of the ocean, so you might expect some CSI scenario where just by looking at the barnacles, you can pinpoint where it came from.'

Oceanographer Arnold Gordon, of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, said the number of barnacles on the part are consistent with other debris he's seen which has been in the ocean for more than a year.

'It's been 16 months from the crash and everything fits together,' he said. 'So I think the probability that it's from 370 is pretty high.'

cameron

The Verge

Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak has confirmed that the plane debris discovered last week on Réunion Island is indeed from Malaysia Airlines 370, the flight that disappeared mysteriously last year with 239 people onboard. Razak also said that he was committed to doing whatever was necessary to find out what happened to the flight. The announcement was made today following analysis of the recovered plane wing part at a military laboratory.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/5/9072355/mh370-disappear-debris-reunion

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just saw a report saying they found what could be a part of the plane, around 2m x 3m, in Thailand, full of barnacles. No confirmation yet that it is from the plane, could be anything.

That's very far from where they found the other debris at Reunion, 6000km.

Just saw a report saying they found what could be a part of the plane, around 2m x 3m, in Thailand, full of barnacles. No confirmation yet that it is from the plane, could be anything.

That's very far from where they found the other debris at Reunion, 6000km.

Damn. Well, after all this time, debris floating, the sea currents, etc.

Recent news, but who knows if it's from the plane.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...ris-belonging-plane-missing/story?id=37335321

There is a good likelihood that the piece of debris recovered in Mozambique is from a Boeing 777, like the Malaysia Airlines flight that disappeared two years ago this month, according to a U.S. official familiar with the search for MH370

But he added: "I urge everyone to avoid undue speculation as we are not able to conclude that the debris belongs to #mh370 at this time.”

Chronoja

This is a very important paragraph.

However, it’s not entirely clear that the recovered flight-simulator data is conclusive. The differences between the simulated and actual flights are significant, most notably in the final direction in which they were heading. It’s possible that their overall similarities are coincidental — that Zaharie didn't intend his simulator flight as a practice run but had merely decided to fly someplace unusual.

They are basing this off 6 old MS Flight Simulator data points. It's suspicious but also a bit of a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom