• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remasted Announced (Capcom/Wayforward, $15, XBLA/PS3/WiiU/PC)

kenjisalk

Think they should've gone all 2D like Mighty Switch Force HD? Wonder why they didn't do that? Maybe Capcom didn't think all 2D would sell and it NEEDED 3D elements?

Though I would've thought them doing this in the first place wouldn't have prevented them from going all-out if they wanted it in all 2D and fuck any thought on 3D being needed to sell the game.

I don't know, it doesn't look bad mind you, but Wayforward's their best in perfect 2D aren't they?

The 3D backgrounds look better than Double Dragon Neon at least.

I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of assets necessary to create the wide size and variety of levels in Duck Tales in comparison to the relatively smaller stages in Mighty Switch Force.

I'd rather they cut corners this way if it means the character sprites are as gorgeous as these, and that they don't have to sell a zillion copies to turn a profit for Capcom/Disney because they kept the budget managable.

I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of assets necessary to create the wide size and variety of levels in Duck Tales in comparison to the relatively smaller stages in Mighty Switch Force.

I'd rather they cut corners this way if it means the character sprites are as gorgeous as these, and that they don't have to sell a zillion copies to turn a profit for Capcom/Disney because they kept the budget managable.

Never played either game so I didn't know the sizes were that different, interesting.

But is it easier and cheaper to do 3D backgrounds than 2D? I mean you're just drawing vs making models from the ground up.

Might have to do with the animation, that is easier in 3D than 2D.

I sleep for 16 hours to awake to this?

Awesome.

Now I'd like to see an open world Gargoyles game in 3D hitting as close to the source artwork as possible.

Get to it.

kenjisalk

But is it easier and cheaper to do 3D backgrounds than 2D? I mean you're just drawing vs making models from the ground up.

Might have to do with the animation, that is easier in 3D than 2D.

Yeah pretty much, not to mention more efficient, which translates to a shorter dev time and lower costs. I believe a lot of middleware can help shorten the process and make some things easier, though I'm not sure if that is a major factor in this game's production.

Somnia

The trailer with the quotes should have been saved, the whole announcement should have been saved for E3. At say (just using this as an example) Sony's E3 press conference, they announce a new Capcom game coming and the trailer starts with the quotes, everyone thinks its some new epic AAA remake and then BAM!

Would have been the loudest cheering at E3 guaranteed and then everyone would have sung along =)

vg260

ASAP? Besides xOver, when do you think the last Mega Man games was released?

The last X title? 2004
The last Legend title? 2000
The last Battle.net? 2005
The last Zero? 2005
The last spin off? 2008 (Star Force)
The last Mega Man game period? 2010 (Mega Man 10)

So of all the mainline Mega Man series, the last 2 titles (MM9 and 10) were both NES style throw backs 3 years ago, before that we got some weird spin-off in Star Force 3 in 2008, nearly 5 years ago. At this point, it's been long enough that Mega Man fans are beyond jonesing for a new more modern entry in the series.

Fans do want a mainline Megman ASAP, and it's certainly overdue. My point was that with the MML and the XBL/PSN Mega Man game being canned, and possibly being left with a void, it's might not in their best interest to try to rush out a mainline game just to get one out quick to fill the void the cancelled games left. Development can take years. This game he said took at least a year and a half.

Fans do want a mainline Megman ASAP, and it's certainly overdue. My point was that with the MML and the XBL/PSN Mega Man game being canned, and possibly being left with a void, it's might not in their best interest to try to rush out a mainline game just to get one out quick to fill the void the cancelled games left. Development can take years. This game he said took at least a year and a half.

Ah, I see what you're saying now and I can agree with that... that said, Capcom cancelled MML3 2 years ago, MMO was by a third party korean company and canned at least 6 months ago. Mostly it just seems Capcom HAS had the time, but no drive and I again think that's mostly Capcom Japan's fault.

Duress

Any explainations? Or just a drive by? Curious as to why $15 would be your breaking point on this game.

I'm not paying $15 bucks for a game that just upgraded the graphics of an old NES game for nostalgia sake. If it had some new content maybe. I'd be willing to pay 10 bucks,sure for a remake.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game when I was a kid, but my eagerness for this game isn't that much as some of the people in this thread.

Sorry, I didn't say much earlier.

I'm not paying $15 bucks for a game that just upgraded the graphics of an old NES game for nostalgia sake. If it had some new content maybe. I'd be willing to pay 10 bucks,sure for a remake.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game when I was a kid, but my eagerness for this game isn't that much as some of the people in this thread.

Heh, no worries, was just curious sorry if it came off rude.

Maxim726X

The game has new content, about 30% according to the release.

It's not exactly a retread either... Remaking a NES platformer and putting on a modern console? It might as well be new.

Everybody was talking about how this was Quackshot and Castle of Illusion related, but those other achievements are all Disney-related.

Diamond in the Rough is from Aladdin, maybe those are just Ducktales achievements that reference other Disney stuff?

Quackshot's pick ups included diamonds, so I'd imagine it's based off that as the Aladdin MD game was by Virgin and not Sega.

Seems like that pack might just be made of Castle Of Illusion, World Of Illusion and Quackshot by those titles though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Quackshot's pick ups included diamonds, so I'd imagine it's based off that as the Aladdin MD game was by Virgin and not Sega.

Seems like that pack might just be made of Castle Of Illusion, World Of Illusion and Quackshot by those titles though.

There's a song in Aladdin called Diamond on the Rough. It's not referencing the game, but the movie.

Also, nothing prevents them from mentioning those other titles - they are, after all, all Disney proprieties.

Edit: I guess you're right, "Master of Illusion" and "Masters of Illusion" being two different Achievements would mean that you finished the game solo and then finished the game in Coop, and World of Illusion was always a Coop game.

Edit 2: Also twelve achievements could mean 4 achievements for each title. Hmmm...

joesmokey

Huge megaton for me. The trailer looks promising with the new graphics, hopefully the art style won't be a turn off in this one. Cautiously optimistic.

Bought the GB versions of DuckTales 1 & 2 online thanks to this announcement. I remember the Game Boy version of 2 actually being pretty damn great.

Jac_Solar

I'm just curious -- I know Disney is behind it, but are the Donald Duck comics big in the US? I always had the impression that they weren't. I rarely see any Americans, or foreigners mention them, at all.

It's pretty big in Norway, at least. Weekly regular comic magazine for Donald Duck, monthly pocket books with Donald/Scrooge stories, and I think annual "mammoth" pocket books (Extra large. Not sure if they still do these things though.). Read them til I was 12-14 or so.

I'm just curious -- I know Disney is behind it, but are the Donald Duck comics big in the US? I always had the impression that they weren't. I rarely see any Americans, or foreigners mention them, at all.

It's pretty big in Norway, at least. Weekly regular comic magazine for Donald Duck, monthly pocket books with Donald/Scrooge stories, and I think annual "mammoth" pocket books (Extra large. Not sure if they still do these things though.). Read them til I was 12-14 or so.

Disney had a little magazine when I was a kid that had a few, but I can't remember seeing them in ages and I believe they were canceled. We never got any large collections of them and I can never remember seeing any.

As for recently especially, Disney hasn't been pushing it's old cartoon characters much anymore at all in the states aside from 1 preschool show (Mickey Mouse Club House). Everything related to Duck Tales aside from character cameos have been non-existent stateside in probably close to 2 decades.

Sven from Capcom USA pretty much explained that it was Capcom USA that got this game together. They've been trying for a few years to get the license and Disney recommended Way Forward for the game which Capcom eventually agreed to.

It felt mostly pretty good! I only got to play for a minute or so as they were clearing out the hall.

I owned the gameboy version way back when and loved it.

The backgrounds are 3D. It felt kind of like a lot of these old school remasters from this gen. A little bit "thin". The high res sprites look a little bit weird on the 3D backgrounds.

Still super stoked.

Top Bottom