• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

velociraptor

I was thinking about making a DIY pull-up bar in our summer house. Would be fun to do some pull-ups and whatnot outside while we spend time there. Shouldn't be too hard to build and not too expensive either.

homemade-outdoor-pullup-bar-1.jpg

Would love to build this in my garden although I'm not sure my parents would be happy. They would consider this to be a blight :p

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Would love to build this in my garden although I'm not sure my parents would be happy. They would consider this to be a blight :p
Grow some vines on the supports and call it an ornament. Bonus points if you place it at the start of a pebble path.

I was thinking about making a DIY pull-up bar in our summer house. Would be fun to do some pull-ups and whatnot outside while we spend time there. Shouldn't be too hard to build and not too expensive either.

Got a garage? This is what I did:
bar1.jpg

If I could do it again I'd have a 4 foot bar so the chains would've hit the next ceiling joist and hung straight. Not for any physical benefit, just so it wouldn't look all wonky. Oh and wrap it with athletic tape obviously (I did so afterwards). Total cost: $20 and maybe 20 minutes.

Mr.City

homemade-outdoor-pullup-bar-1.jpg

How would that stand fare in the rain?

Also, regarding that garage chin-up bar, how much weight can those chains hold up?

Did my very first work out at a gym today, it was great! I did the monday routine from starting strength. I first did a few reps with just the bar to get the form down. Then for each exercise I started with 20 kg (44 pounds). Not too much but wanted to start small and add 5 pounds each time I do the exercise until I hit my peak (like in the book).

Btw I am sooo on board with the quest bars. I got peanut butter and also the cinnamon roll kinds. I love both! Sooooo good.

I am loving this and I know I will be doing it for years and years to come!

despire

Thanks but the whole point was to build it outside so I could do my pull-ups and other random shit in the sun during the summer :p

How would that stand fare in the rain?

Dunno. Pretty well I'd think as long as the wood beams don't rot. Which is quite a long time if I use special treated wood that doesn't rot (not sure what the english name for this stuff is). I'd think even regular wood would last many years if it's painted. Also not sure how long the iron pipe will last before it starts to rust but I'd guess a coat of paint delays this process.

And btw, does anyone have any experience in this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rumble-Ro...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19d63b4a75

Was thinking about upgrading to a rumble roller but I want to be sure it's a good one before buying. Was thinking about the "firm" version.

Did my very first work out at a gym today, it was great! I did the monday routine from starting strength. I first did a few reps with just the bar to get the form down. Then for each exercise I started with 20 kg (44 pounds). Not too much but wanted to start small and add 5 pounds each time I do the exercise until I hit my peak (like in the book).

Btw I am sooo on board with the quest bars. I got peanut butter and also the cinnamon roll kinds. I love both! Sooooo good.

I am loving this and I know I will be doing it for years and years to come!

Seems like a great plan, you will not be disappointed

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
despite being as much a bulker as anyone in the last page, I feel so out of the team :p I fail so much at eating,

I now know my macros and what to eat every day but I rarely reach the goal so I suspect I am pretty much at maintenance. I wish I had a wife/girlfriend that cooked for me like most of you have, lol

Taco Bell is my only mistress and makes me hit every macro and then some

Chittagong

Gold Member
Going to do some serious rage lifting tomorrow.

was supposed to fly to Beijing today, BA upgraded me to Club World and... visa expired, can't let you on board sir.

weights will be slammed.

jacobs34

Starting week two of 5/3/1. Had to rework some of my training maxes, and decided to take a friends advice of starting with 30% of training maxes for BBB for the first cycle and working my way up to 50% over the next couple of cycles. Looking forward to pushing some weight around this week.

And btw, does anyone have any experience in this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rumble-Ro...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19d63b4a75

Was thinking about upgrading to a rumble roller but I want to be sure it's a good one before buying. Was thinking about the "firm" version.

I love it. I've been suffering with IT band pain for a while and my PVC pipe was not curing it. I bought myself a firm rumble roller, and while it is not as firm as the pipe, the 'fingers' have been excellent in reaching trigger points that the PVC pipe would not get. My IT band pain is finally being relieved. Highly recommended (along with a lacrosse ball).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if I've asked this before but how many seconds do yall rest in between sets?

As long as it takes. No sense in setting some arbitrary number if it just ends up causing you to fail the set.

despire

I'm not an expert but your lower back is rounding at the bottom. Looks like a `butwink´. Also it looks like you are just a tad too high.

Matugi

Maxing on bench press today. Last week I put up 6 sets of 5 at 225lbs so I feel like the 300 club is within reach. I'm getting some pre-college stats in so when I come back home during the winter I can max again. We'll see how it goes.

sphinx

the piano man
I guess it's time to post a squat form check, I hope someone is kind enough to have a peek and tell me what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gzrW9WcBo

Going with a fairly low weight to what felt like ATG when doing it... but obviously wasn't. That ROM is so crazy long for a long legged person.

I find your feet pointing to the outside like that interesting, that's a very open angle. My feet are only sllighly pointing outside, a lot less than yours. Not that your stance is wrong I just thought it was interesting.

and I should leave this to more experienced fitgaffers, but I'll give it a try:

are you leaning a little bit forward in the last 2 reps? overall, the whole set looks a bit too forward, like you aren't feeling your heels and all the weight goes to your toes.

I am not sure if my eyes deceive me but it looks like your upper body curls (like doing a crunch motion) a little bit as you go down, maybe if you think of keeping your chest open through the motion, that would be better.

Next year I might use a little bit of steroid when starting to cut. Is it possible to build muscles while cutting on roids? Whats the best ones for that? safe please

Mr.City

Next year I might use a little bit of steroid when starting to cut. Is it possible to build muscles while cutting on roids? Whats the best ones for that? safe please

LoL at the way you casually mention "a little bit of steroids." I wouldn't fuck around with those until you know the full effects.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm not an expert but your lower back is rounding at the bottom. Looks like a `butwink´. Also it looks like you are just a tad too high.

Crap. That has been an issue when going to parallel. Thought I had managed to lose it.

i want those shoes

They are the best. So great in every move, especially in squat. I feel just a bit embarrassed to wear them as a beginner, but they are just very good.

I find your feet pointing to the outside like that interesting, that's a very open angle. My feet are only sllighly pointing outside, a lot less than yours. Not that your stance is wrong I just thought it was interesting.

and I should leave this to more experienced fitgaffers, but I'll give it a try:

are you leaning a little bit forward in the last 2 reps? overall, the whole set looks a bit too forward, like you aren't feeling your heels and all the weight goes to your toes.

I am not sure if my eyes deceive me but it looks like your upper body curls (like doing a crunch motion) a little bit as you go down, maybe if you think of keeping your chest open through the motion, that would be better.

Well spotted on all counts. I have been trying out a wider stance this week to better engage other parts than quads.

Leaning forwards has been always my issue when going heavier or getting tired, not sure what to make of it.

Keeping more upright / chest open I guess relates to that.

So

1. Still lower!!
2. Fix the damn buttwink
3. Try harder to stay on heels
4. Focus on staying more upright / chest open

I am getting a foam roller to open up the middle back and hamstrings. I am also thinking of experimenting with overhead squat to strengthen my core.

Vol5

Guys my over head press fucking sucks ass.

I'm progressing really well on all my lifts but man, this press is really a bitch.

I've been hovering around 35-37.5kg for 4 - 5 sessions and can't break through. Plus, my form isn't great as I find it really difficult to lock out and shrug up. Your meant to puch your torso forward but I find that too difficult.

Is my grip too short perhaps?

"Next year"

You started 2-4 weeks ago, you need to train for a minimum of 5 years before you're at a point where the only way you can progress is through the use of roids.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Guys my over head press fucking sucks ass.

I'm progressing really well on all my lifts but man, this press is really a bitch.

I've been hovering around 35-37.5kg for 4 - 5 sessions and can't break through. Plus, my form isn't great as I find it really difficult to lock out and shrug up. Your meant to puch your torso forward but I find that too difficult.

Is my grip too short perhaps?

I needed to add a whole load of assistance work to push my OHP from 40 to 50kg. It took a good month and a half.

Re: form; I have seen some videos saying you shouldn't lock out OHP but personally I like the sense of achievement locking out gives. The biggest form issue to me has been preventing lower back soreness by reducing arching. For grip check some videos showing you the correct elbow angles and then remember which line on the bar you grip.

I think it'd be wise if all follow local Fitness-GAF asshole Petrie's(until AlienShogun comes back and takes his rightful place) advice and just ignore Lovely Salsa for the remainder of our time on Earth.

Starting...NOW

Petrie

Banned
I think it'd be wise if all follow local Fitness-GAF asshole Petrie's(until AlienShogun comes back and takes his rightful place) advice and just ignore Lovely Salsa for the remainder of our time on Earth.

Starting...NOW

Somebody has to fill those big shoes, might as well be me.

Seriously, even seeing him quoted pisses me off. Such willful ignorance. He should just converse with himself as he doesn't listen to anyone else.

Ah well, we've given him reasonably well advice so far, but it does seem like he doesn't listen.
No more kindness.

Damn shoulder pain, should I ice it or heat it?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you who have hurt your lower back from doing squats or deadlifts, what did you do afterward? I've had a pain in my lower right part of back for about a week now and I have an appointment with a doctor to get it checked out tomorrow. It's fine as long as I'm standing, but if I sit, bend down, or otherwise put pressure on that point it starts to hurt quite a bit.

My problem is that I don't have a regular physician, so I have no idea who I'm going to get. I'm just hoping they'll be able to identify what the issue is so I can get started on recovery.

Anyway, I've seen some people in here talk about lower back pains and am just wondering what caused them and how you ended up treating the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom