• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop being lazy and go exercise

E1u4QeA.jpg

After living a largely sedentary lifestyle for the last couple years, I decided to start trying to get in shape a couple weeks ago. It started with just 15 minutes of very light cardio in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening.

My plan was/is to just add a little more (either going faster, or going longer) progressively. So again, it’s only been two weeks, and a “workout” for me is probably less than a warmup for most healthy people, but I’ve bumped it up from 15 minutes twice a day to 18 minutes twice a day and I do an extra 10 minutes after I take my noon/afternoon meds. I’ve almost doubled my daily total distance from two weeks ago (again, it’s still not very far but I’m taking baby steps), adding short bursts of light jogging, adding periods of incline, etc

I think my goal is to be up to an hour total each day in another two weeks and to double the daily mileage again by then.

Im gonna probably start a light lifting routine 3x a week too, just stuff I have in my basement (some dumbbells, a few 25 and 35lb plates, a 12lb medicine ball, etc). Probably something simple at first like curl circuit - tri extension - lunges - shoulder press) and move up from there.

I’ve only lost 2lbs but at least I’m not gaining like I had been previously. I was up like 13 lbs since January before I started.

For people who struggle with anxiety, every Doctor I’ve talked to (and I’ve talked to a lot) say daily exercise is by far the best non-prescription remedy for anxiety. Since starting this light and pathetic by most standards “workout” routine I haven’t had a full blown panic attack. Not once in the last two weeks. There were a couple close calls but never went full blown meltdown and they would pass. I usually had one once a week. Haven’t had to double up on my daily meds either, usually would need to do that once a week or so as well.

it’s a small sample size, maybe it means nothing, but I’m gonna keep thinking it’s helping and keep trying to improve.

Like the OP said, don’t use excuses, start small and work your way up. You’ll probably do yourself a lot of good

Oh, and yeah, don’t just ignore your diet either.

Last edited:
After living a largely sedentary lifestyle for the last couple years, I decided to start trying to get in shape a couple weeks ago. It started with just 15 minutes of very light cardio in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening.

My plan was/is to just add a little more (either going faster, or going longer) progressively. So again, it’s only been two weeks, any a “workout” for me is probably less than a warmup for most healthy people, but I’ve bumped it up from 15 minutes twice a day to 18 minutes twice a day and I do an 10 minutes after I take my noon/afternoon meds. I’ve almost doubled my daily total distance from two weeks ago (again, it’s still not very far but I’m taking baby steps), adding short bursts of light jogging, adding periods of incline, etc

I think my goal is to be up to an hour total each day in another two weeks and to double the daily mileage again by then.

Im gonna probably start a light lifting routine 3x a week too, just stuff I have in my basement (some dumbbells, a few 25 and 35lb plates, a 12lb medicine ball, etc). Probably something simple at first like curl circuit - tri extension - lunges - shoulder press) and move up from there.

I’ve only lost 2lbs but at least I’m not gaining like I had been previously. I was up like 13 lbs since January before I started.

For people who struggle with anxiety, every Doctor I’ve talked to (and I’ve talked to a lot) say daily exercise is by far the best non-prescription remedy for anxiety. Since starting this light and pathetic by most standards “workout” routine I haven’t had a full blown panic attack. Not once in the last two weeks. There were a couple close calls but never went full blown meltdown and they would pass. I usually had one once a week. Haven’t had to double up on my daily meds either, usually would need to do that once a week or so as well.

it’s a small sample size, maybe it means nothing, but I’m gonna keep thinking it’s helping and keep trying to improve.

Like the OP said, don’t use excuses, start small and work your way up. You’ll probably do yourself a lot of good

No wonder why you skyrocketed on the Top 10 GAF List lately.
YtKsOo3.jpg

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I’ve been eating way less the last few weeks of quarantine and my weight has not budged. My physical activity has dropped to almost nothing

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Someone who actually thinks for themselves and posts facts rather than opinions? I can’t help it if you and others are so insecure that you need to personally attack me. But whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.
B-baka! It's all of you who are so insecure.

Got'em. GAF shall forever be stunned by this logic, no matter now many screachers repeat it, no matter how many alts resort to it.

Sakura

I tried exercising the other day, but immediately my neck and head started hurting and didn't stop for a couple days. I don't think my body can do it.

Banned

My plan was/is to just add a little more (either going faster, or going longer) progressively. So again, it’s only been two weeks, and a “workout” for me is probably less than a warmup for most healthy people, but I’ve bumped it up from 15 minutes twice a day to 18 minutes twice a day and I do an extra 10 minutes after I take my noon/afternoon meds. I’ve almost doubled my daily total distance from two weeks ago (again, it’s still not very far but I’m taking baby steps), adding short bursts of light jogging, adding periods of incline, etc

keep at it, and it becomes part of your life. You can do it!

Did you read his shit? All he did was cite a bunch of articles along the lines of “Unnamed sources say...” “Classified documents seen by anonymous person state...”
All bullshit. All Orange Man Bad. All TDS.

Just close your eyes then.

Piling on people to get them banned is not a good look and doesn't do the "GAF is an echo chamber" sentiment any favors.

bronk

Banned
Just yell at yourself, call yourself a lazy fuck, a fat ass etc etc. Get yourself pumped up. Level up that toxic masculinity. Look in the mirror and say "You gonna be a little bitch today?"

On a more serious note you can do standing squats for say 10 minutes do it slow or faster. Take slight breathers but just keep going. The next 10 minutes do the same thing with lunges. Then the last 10 minutes do it with pushups. Try to do 10 take a breather and get back at it. It's all super basic stuff. Gets your mind involved as it's super brutal. No weights required. Go as hard as you can daily. You can do it. Stay hard, stop making excuses. You think cause you worked out yesterday or a few times this week you have earned a day off? Naw fuck that get after it.

Good luck everyone you can do it. Strong body strong mind.

Last edited:
Everyday after work I go to the field and do sprints if the weather permits. I used to go to the track but that got closed. I work about 10 hour days in an office so you know I need the exercise after all that sitting. Fuck I need the gym back open.

Old Retro

1002093697-photo-u2

I still gotta go out in the world and be "essential", and it's stressful enough lemme tell ya. :goog_downcast_sweat: The paranoia alone is keeping me svelte. Literally feels like I'm fucking roaming around The Division's contaminated areas.

Gargus

Banned
Seriously Im tired of all the bullshit and tired of hearing the excuses. People are over weight, diabetes is running rampant as people get older, hell now even in kids. Heart attacks are becoming more prevalent, hypertension as well. You are putting excess stress on our health care systems because you dont want to exercise and be in shape.

The excuses run nonstop and the two famous ones are 1. Im to tired or 2. No time in the day.

Well lots of us are now in lockdown because of Covid-19, what's the excuse now? You have all the time in the world etc. Now you have this bullshit "Covid-15" the 15 pounds I will gain due to a pandemic....stop catering to these people, move your god damn ass. Lots of people I talk to "well ill prob gain 15 pound etc because im stressed, and I eat when Im stressed". You know whats helpful for stress.....exercise! Move your body. Im not saying you have to be a fuckn body builder but move, do some push ups, some wall squats, use the stairs in your house for cardio, find heavy things in or around the house to lift to hit different muscle groups.

The pathetic thing is people will always find and excuse. 5 times out of 10 I hate exercising, have to build myself up to it but when you hit that ten min peak where you got your sweat on and your hearts pumping, then you feel as if a train cant stop you.

If you can take one thing out of this annoying and horrible time in all of our lives, get in shape and do something positive for yourself, if you can walk to the fridge you're more than capable of exercising.

Not one single person on the planet that hasn't been exercising will do so because of you. You know that right?

No one likes a preachy, know it all, douche telling them they are fat and so on. No one listens to those kind of people because no one cares. Not to mention no ones lifestyle or decisions is anyone's business but their own. And they don't effect you personally or effect your personal life other than you dislike them for not doing what you think they should.

Your war is an exercise in futility.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Not one single person on the planet that hasn't been exercising will do so because of you. You know that right?

No one likes a preachy, know it all, douche telling them they are fat and so on. No one listens to those kind of people because no one cares. Not to mention no ones lifestyle or decisions is anyone's business but their own. And they don't effect you personally or effect your personal life other than you dislike them for not doing what you think they should.

Your war is an exercise in futility.
They could affect me becayse people who are overweight and conditions that could be fixed by exercise put an already strained health care system even worse. I dont care if I sound preachy its generally facts and science. We come from a long line of hunter gatherers during our evolution. We walked daily and exercised daily and if we didnt catch our food we didnt eat. Then industrialization happened and we have jobs where people sit all day and do nothing so you think the least you can do is get up and move around. Again im not saying you have to loft heavy weights or anything but geg uo and get your body moving. You have blood pressure problems, exercise. You have hypertension, exercise, you have anxiety, depression, are obese, exercise exercise exercise. The amoubt of your own issus you can fix and even save money by not having to go on medication because you are healthy will benefit you and your wallet more.

bronk

Banned
Waste of time if ur diet is sh!t
Not true crazy hard work can even trump the shit diet. If say u can't stop eating like a shit head at least go hard in the working out. I've never stopped on energy drinks, beer, mountain dew and other garbage and I made a huge change. If a stubborn shit head like me can do it. Anyone can.

Nymphae

Banned
They could affect me becayse people who are overweight and conditions that could be fixed by exercise put an already strained health care system even worse. I dont care if I sound preachy its generally facts and science. We come from a long line of hunter gatherers during our evolution. We walked daily and exercised daily and if we didnt catch our food we didnt eat. Then industrialization happened and we have jobs where people sit all day and do nothing so you think the least you can do is get up and move around. Again im not saying you have to loft heavy weights or anything but geg uo and get your body moving. You have blood pressure problems, exercise. You have hypertension, exercise, you have anxiety, depression, are obese, exercise exercise exercise. The amoubt of your own issus you can fix and even save money by not having to go on medication because you are healthy will benefit you and your wallet more.

You have to make people want it though, simply telling them truth doesn't change things. Smokers knew what was up but still smoked anyway, education and berating them with rational arguments doesn't work. You have to reach people some other way. I don't know what that is, but I do doubt the OP approach is getting anyone off their ass, even if you are right.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
You have to make people want it though, simply telling them truth doesn't change things. Smokers knew what was up but still smoked anyway, education and berating them with rational arguments doesn't work. You have to reach people some other way. I don't know what that is, but I do doubt the OP approach is getting anyone off their ass, even if you are right.
The OP is me venting hearing people and morons such as friends using the pandemic as an excuse to gain weight and not be healthy

Can you show me an example of this?

Don't act coy. What about somerset? There's that crowbrow dude. You just tried with that longdi dude but no one took the bait.

They would probably get banned on their own. Just don't lie and say you don't shine a light on these guys so they can get banned. Because you do.

Papa

Banned
Don't act coy. What about somerset? There's that crowbrow dude. You just tried with that longdi dude but no one took the bait.

They would probably get banned on their own. Just don't lie and say you don't shine a light on these guys so they can get banned. Because you do.

...Somerset? lol wat

crowbrow was given so much rope and was banned several times before I made a thread to call out his spurious appeals to the authority of science he doesn’t understand. More rope than most, in fact. I can only speculate it was because he was a dissenting voice, in spite of being a consistently dishonest one. Do you think I have power to convince mods to ban someone who doesn’t deserve it?

I mock any China shill, most notably Tickles and rongdi. The former is a LARPer who provides entertainment value. The latter is a genuine shill who is pushing outright propaganda such as suggesting that the Chinese Virus is in fact the ‘mysterious vaping illness’ that was observed in the US last year. I question why mods continue to allow him to do that.

I shine a light on them for bad behaviour so they can be mocked.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Not true crazy hard work can even trump the shit diet. If say u can't stop eating like a shit head at least go hard in the working out. I've never stopped on energy drinks, beer, mountain dew and other garbage and I made a huge change. If a stubborn shit head like me can do it. Anyone can.

U can exercise all u want but to prevent and protect urself from getting cancer, heart disease and diabetes u need to be on that plant based diet fam. What the op is asking ppl that don't exercise to do is dangerous if they're on a sh!t diet and don't know what foods they need to rebuild and repair their body. U don't send out troops to the battlefield without the necessary equipment. Plants and vegetation have thousands of chemicals that our body uses to rebuild and repair itself in the inside and out. Dont advise peeps that never exercise without telling them how to fuel up before and after the exercise otherwise ur gunna set them up for alotta pain and misery and maybe even long term damage.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
U can exercise all u want but to prevent and protect urself from getting cancer, heart disease and diabetes u need to be on that plant based diet fam. What the op is asking ppl that don't exercise to do is dangerous if they're on a sh!t diet and don't know what foods they need to rebuild and repair their body. U don't send out troops to the battlefield without the necessary equipment. Plants and vegetation have thousands of chemicals that our body uses to rebuild and repair itself in the inside and out. Dont advise peeps that never exercise without telling them how to fuel up before and after the exercise otherwise ur gunna set them up for alotta pain and misery and maybe even long term damage.
Pain and misery is beneficial if you eat shit food all the time. One of the best ways to naturally crave healthier food is to attempt to actually be active while eating trash. Your body will tell you that you're eating trash in a visceral way that makes you feel it, and will make you eat better.

Be active. You will naturally start eating better without even trying, just out of necessity.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
Hmmm maybe. You lost me at plant based diet. I think you're over complicating things. Just drink alot of water and man up. To each their own.

For the record I'm not saying its ok to eat bad. In fact its insanely beneficial to eat well. Hard work plus great diet goes a long way. What im saying is getting after it is important whether you don't eat the best or not. It makes the mind strong and it'll make you want to eat better as you feel progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom