• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon faces backlash for Donald Trump interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biske

Yeah when you are playfully rubbing the hair of someone who has called immigrants rapists and criminal and stokes the flames of people who view them as subhuman and encourages their Nazi like ways of dealing with "them"...

Let alone the fucking encyclopedia of horrible other shit.

Definitely makes me turn away from Jimmy Fallon.

I don't agree with this backlash at all. Jimmy Fallon is a comedian,

People really expect him to invite Trump on his show then just grill him with political questions the whole time?

comedians are still responsible for what they do and say

they are not immune from criticism and quite frankly "he's a comedian" really has lost its meaning on GAF as a defense for shitty ideas and actions.

Curufinwe

People really expect him to invite Trump on his show then just grill him with political questions the whole time?

Hasn't the comedian who comes on NBC after Falloon banned Trump for his hateful racist remarks?

Jonm1010

Banned
Not all clowns should be treated like clowns

I have no idea what you're arguing now. Is Fallon above criticism?
Never said he wasn't. Neither though is your silly ideological purity demanding of all things and you getting all worked up and bothered while attributing so much power to frigging Jimmy Fallon.

Donald Trump is not Mitt Romney, or John McCain, or George W Bush, or any other presidential candidate in decades, regardless of political affiliation. Donald Trump has a platform that is explicitly built on hate and implicitly built on violence. I pushed back against calling him "fascist" six months ago, now I no longer can.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree on Trump. I've just kind of accepted that late night shows like this are so far past the point of having any substance that they'll still have vile fuckheads like him on no matter what. I guess I'd be more disappointed in Fallon if I had thought there was even the slightest chance of him not having Trump on.

Edit: At this point, I guess my stance on late night shows and the greater media in general is a depressed acceptance that they'll normalize the insane fucking Trump candidacy simply because it means great ratings.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Never said he wasn't. Neither though is your silly ideological purity demanding of all things and you getting all worked up and bothered while attributing so much power to frigging Jimmy Fallon.

Fallon is one small piece of a larger media problem, but it is a demonstrative one that we can call out to make a point

Jonm1010

Banned
"unhinged" uh, that is generally what a normal person considers an ad hominem. But I guess the best source on that would be the person who made the ad hominem in the first place.

Oh, and you're right, I'm the one who is worked up - not the person who is so upset that they're resorting to swearing at people over a discussion ;P

Comedians are special snowflakes
Now I'm cursing at you too lol.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I know it's his scthick, what being Leno 2.0 and all, but he really did handle this poorly. He shouldn't have had him on at all if he wasn't going to hit him with hard questions. I don't care if it's because you're the nicest guy in the world. Trump deserves more than silly hair jokes now.

I think he should have broken script. I don't care if Trump got up and walked out because of it, it'd be good TV and get a lot of media talk about it. People would be applauding him instead of booing. He plays it too safe and that's his problem. But then again it is The Tonightt Show. Conan dodged a bullet by being fired. He's so much better off doing his own thing. TTS is way too controlled to do anything that could cause controversy. Mainly because of its audience.

Millions of people watch Jimmy Fallon, and for a candidate who is encouraging racism, misogyny, homophobia, and transphobia, and whose words are shown to spur people to violence against these groups, Fallon should not be complicit in promoting this man. If he doesn't want to be complicit, or if he doesn't want to try to ask hard questions, he shouldn't have had him on in the first place,

Now I'm cursing at you too lol.

...Yes?

You literally need to be unable to read your own posts to come to the conclusion that you are not using ad hominems or swearing at me. Clearly my posts upset you - I just don't know whether it was because I attacked Fallon or Trump.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

they are not immune from criticism and quite frankly "he's a comedian" really has lost its meaning on GAF as a defense for shitty ideas and actions.

What? I'm not saying he's immune from criticism. If you don't like that Fallon did this, then criticize him all you want.

What I'm saying is I'm not quite sure what people expect him to do. His role as a comedian defines his intent and his content - he will deliver content to his audience to make them laugh. If he were to engage in political commentary he'd be stepping out of bounds.

Alucrid

Banned
What? I'm not saying he's immune from criticism. If you don't like that Fallon did this, then criticize him all you want.

What I'm saying is I'm not quite sure what people expect him to do. His role as a comedian defines his intent and his content - he will deliver content to his audience to make them laugh. If he were to engage in political commentary he'd be stepping out of bounds.

maybe fallon is just bad at comedy if he can't intertwine the two

Ekai

I guess if there's anyone who is getting unhinged, it's not the poster who is resorting to ad hominems against other posters on a forum thread.

Jonm does this all the time. They get pissy with other posters whenever you try to discuss the topic in any meaningful manner and accuse people of doing things that they're doing. Among a lot of other nonsense. Often they're weirdly defending alt-right nonsense. Honestly, pay them no mind. They don't argue anywhere close to good-faith.

knicks

Not at all.

The point is if you hadn't known a thing about Trump and then you watched that interview, you'd have a positive perception of Donald Trump.

Trump has been on Kimmel and Colbert, and their interviews weren't anything like Fallon's.

Fallon actually normalized this terrible asshat.

Some people acting like politicians go on late night just to have fun.

This is another campaign stop to sell themselves and their campaign to a broad audience, I wish the hosts would treat it same.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Not at all. The point is if you hadn't known a thing about Trump and then you watched that interview, you'd have a positive perception of Donald Trump. Trump has been on Kimmel and Colbert, and their interviews weren't anything like Fallon's. Fallon actually normalized this terrible asshat.

I admit; I haven't seen the interview. I'll watch the videos linked in this thread from other late night comedians as well.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Criticise away, but recognise that Trump gets approval over his appearance like any guest. As is his right. Fallon going off script would be career suicide.

darscot

To the whole he is a comedian all good comedy comes from truth and real issues this was a complete fail at a comedic level.

ezrarh

6VdUXZp.png

I'll go with David Simon on this one.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Criticise away, but recognise that Trump gets approval over his appearance like any guest. As is his right. Fallon going off script would be career suicide.

You seem to be using a False Dilemma argument.
There is a middle ground in questions. And if Trump would not agree to them, then he should not have been allowed onto the show.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Again, no one is asking Fallon to deliver a blistering screed against the piece of shit that is Trump but a free pass like this? Ridiculous.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Don't invite him on

Exactly. But they did. And once they did, this was always the way it'd go.

To think it'd go differently is asinine.

You seem to be using a False Dilemma argument.
There is a middle ground in questions. And if Trump would not agree to them, then he should not have been allowed onto the show.

I agree with you in theory, but once he's announced they can't ditch him at short notice and look for someone new to guest. That's not how the show works.

I wouldn't have had him on at all, but once they did..,

Jonm1010

Banned
Fallon is one small piece of a larger media problem, but it is a demonstrative one that we can call out to make a point

Call out to who? The liberal Echo chamber of GAF. LOL. Changing the world, one GAF thread at a time.

Good work on changing the minds
of all those people that certainly were just waiting for Jimmy to interview Trump before deciding their vote.

There is certainly a cable and network news problem, one that existed long before Trump, not so sure about much beyond that, but Jimmy Fallon is about the most insignificant part of all that lol. And to get so worked up as to actually start a thread whining about why the most goofball, non confrontational late show host acted like a goofball and non confrontational is absurd.

Personally, I find him hosting Trump to be disgusting. He paid someone who is openly a bigot to come onto his show for entertainment purposes, which is the same as paying him directly to support his campaign. Putting money in his pocket in any regard goes hand in hand with supporting him, imo. He used Trump for views without any regard to the countless of people Trump shits all over on a daily basis which is tasteless beyond belief.

It reminds me of that guy who used to hang around Bears. It was cute until his girlfriend and him were eaten alive. It's not cute anymore when this dangerous man is so close to the Presidency.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Fallon has always seemed like this barely real fake plastic person that will do whatever the generic talk show host job required. He just affably giggles at whatever is socially expected, and onto the next segment and stilted joke read.

A cardboard cutout of a man and it won't take much outside critical force to tip him over permanently.

Jonm1010

Banned
Millions of people watch Jimmy Fallon, and for a candidate who is encouraging racism, misogyny, homophobia, and transphobia, and whose words are shown to spur people to violence against these groups, Fallon should not be complicit in promoting this man. If he doesn't want to be complicit, or if he doesn't want to try to ask hard questions, he shouldn't have had him on in the first place,

...Yes?

You literally need to be unable to read your own posts to come to the conclusion that you are not using ad hominems or swearing at me. Clearly my posts upset you - I just don't know whether it was because I attacked Fallon or Trump.
Catastrophizing distilled.

Ha. I was doing a bit of research on "equal time" rules and apparently news programs are exempt. Under the FCC, The The Tonight Show is classified as a news program and therefore not required to give equal time to Clinton and Trump.

Fallon doesn't book his guests, the producers do.

Also, Ratings are a real thing and Fallon's bosses take them very seriously.

If this is the case, criticizing "the producers" is less effective than criticizing Fallon. By criticizing Fallon, there is the possibility of having the viewers and/or Fallon influence the producers' decisions with respect to how they conduct such situations in the future.

Catastrophizing distilled.

Refusing to engage in the discussion and instead focusing on the people involved does not make for a good thread.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Call out to who? The liberal Echo chamber of GAF. LOL. Changing the world, one GAF thread at a time.

Good work on changing the minds
of all those people that certainly were just waiting for Jimmy to interview Trump before deciding their vote.
You think I'm just vocalizing this on GAF?

GusBus

I've generally felt that Fallon is an affable guy and a decent host for a late night program. While the content is vapid and silly he's always a good sport, and seems to enjoy his work while building a rapport with his guests. However, the stakes were too damn high to invite Trump on during this election. If he gets elected it's because of people like Fallon who attempted to normalize the man behind his abhorrent policies and racist ideas. Anyone who says "oh, comedy is apolitical" is living in some nostalgic, fantasy land of the past.

Therefore, fuck Fallon. He's not an idiot, yet he showed a total lack of judgment in bringing this monster on. A Trump presidency could literally destroy the world economy and rob America of its credibility for decades. It could ruin the lives of millions of people. If that happens, rating seeking schmucks like Fallon are partially responsible.

I don't plan on ever watching his show again.

CrocoDuck

Univision played this yesterday night and both my mother and sister were laughing. Even the anchors didn't seem all that upset. My reaction was just meh but I can see how this looks bad for Fallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom