• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon faces backlash for Donald Trump interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

6VdUXZp.png

This is a beautiful tweet

You are catastrophiIng. That is the commentary on your content. CatastrophiIng and opinion policing. Unhinged was merely a comment on how your content presents yourself.

And "stupid" could theoretically be used to describe someone's content, but you did not say that my content was unhinged, you said that I was. That is an ad hominem. It is quite astonishing that you're actually arguing something so strongly founded in reality.

With that said, I apologize. I shouldn't have criticized Donald Trump.

Colbert was easy on Trump too and I don't remember a thread about it.

I remember people complaining about it and how they were disappointed with Colbert. That Colbert is more well-liked probably helped him avoid major backlash, but I always found him somewhat problematic so I personally was not a fan of his interview at all.

I wouldn't normally care but everyone is right to call Fallon out because he treated Hillary differently. Double standard flag at full display right there so fuck Fallon.

Arkeband

Banned
Colbert > Seth = Kimmel > Conan > Corden > Fallon

...in terms of politics and how ruthless you can expect them to be.

Remember that Colbert called out Ted Cruz for being an unrepentant homophobe on stage. He got Rumsfeld to admit they invaded Iraq on KNOWN false pretense.

Fallon plays beer pong and falls out of his seat laughing at everything. He's a sycophant for the idiot late night viewer.

Colbert was easy on Trump too and I don't remember a thread about it.

Colbert has talked about that interview since and he said that he was thrown due to Trump's subdued behavior - yet he also played a game where he compared Trump to Charles Manson and implied Trump was running as a farce.

Metrotab

Banned
Like it or not, Trump is the candidate of one of the major parties in the US, with a significant portion of the US electorate supporting him. Wanting him to be excluded from any and all media appearances doesn't seem like a realistic idea to me, and part of the media play are these "soft interviews" where it's more about relaxed (scripted) casual questions rather than political grilling.

Beach

One thing I've learned in this thread is that people really want David Duke to be on a late night talk show with Jimmy Fallon some reason

Like it or not, Trump is the candidate of one of the major parties in the US, with a significant portion of the US electorate supporting him. Wanting him to be excluded from any and all media appearances doesn't seem like a realistic idea to me, and part of the media play are these "soft interviews" where it's more about relaxed (scripted) casual questions rather than political grilling.
No one says Trump should be excluded. And like already mentioned, Hillary got more than softball questions from Fallon.

Ekai

You are catastrophiIng. That is the commentary on your content. CatastrophiIng and opinion policing. Unhinged was merely a comment on how your content presents yourself. Not a substitute for content critique.

This is the most ironic thing ever since all you ever do is police other people's language, Jonm. You become extremely invested in being outraged over others when they start to really grill on criticizing the right-wing. And project onto them things you do. I seriously think you might be unhinged. Take a breath, man. Self-reflect.

Funny and entertaining. Fallon is not Anderson Cooper nor should he be expected to be.

People upset about this are crybabies. If Jimmy Fallon treating a presidential candidate with courtesy and respect bothers you tan maybe the issue is you.

Some people don't deserve courtesy and respect. Someone who mocks the families of dead soldiers, someone who spews racist and bigoted rhetoric, someone who retweets white supremacists, that person falls into that camp.

Jonm1010

Banned
And "stupid" could theoretically be used to describe someone's content, but you did not say that my content was unhinged, you said that I was. That is an ad hominem. It is quite astonishing that you're actually arguing something so strongly founded in reality.

With that said, I apologize. I shouldn't have criticized Donald Trump.

I remember people complaining about it and how they were disappointed with Colbert. That Colbert is more well-liked probably helped him avoid major backlash, but I always found him somewhat problematic so I personally was not a fan of his interview at all.
You need a dictionary.

ant1532

Banned
not ''talk shows'', jimmy fallon is though. Colbert would make sense but fallon does what fallon does. he makes fun of candidates in monlogues but thats it as far as political input.

his band is the effing ROOTS.

THE ROOTS IS HIS BAND

THE BAND, THE ROOTS

Know your fucking audience jimmy and pander to them, not everyone's and their fascist balls at once

No one says Trump should be excluded. And like already mentioned, Hillary got more than softball questions from Fallon.

Talk Shows actually discuss what will be talked about with the guest beforehand. Trump's campaign approved this content while Hilary's approved hers.

He's a presidential candidate and whether or not you believe he shouldn't be there really doesn't matter. At this point you may as well say he shouldn't be allowed to be at a presidential debate. A significant portion of the country wants to vote for him and watches him on TV.

Jonm1010

Banned
This is the most ironic thing ever since all you ever do is police other people's language, Jonm. You become extremely invested in being outraged over others when they start to really grill on criticizing the right-wing. And project onto them things you do. I seriously think you might be unhinged. Take a breath, man. Self-reflect.
I find this entire thread amusing. Doubly so that fairly benign criticism against the outrage posters over a meaningless interview has led to this dumpster fire.

jax

Banned
This is how Fallon greeted Hillary last night by the way

hillary-fallon-mask-575x383.jpg
So he grills Hillary for being sick, and humanized Trump even though he's beyond horrible.

Gotta keep those conservative viewers, eh Fallon? Hopefully more people switch to Colbert after this.

Talk Shows actually discuss what will be talked about with the guest beforehand. Trump's campaign approved this content while Hilary's approved hers.

He's a presidential candidate and whether or not you believe he shouldn't be there really doesn't matter. At this point you may as well say he shouldn't be allowed to be at a presidential debate. A significant portion of the country wants to vote for him and watches him on TV.

Trump is not entitled to appear on a talk show, especially when the equal treatment clause does not apply to The Tonight Show. The talk show has the right and the ability to refuse to work with Trump. Shit, what if Trump's desires were to have Jimmy Fallon come out in support of Trump, or else he wouldn't show up? I have to assume that they would draw the line there, why can't they draw the line at treating him like a clown child?

Protein

Banned
People have been beaten, maimed, nearly SET ON FIRE because of this pile of shit, and people still defend him?

Fuck outta here. Everyone needs to be constantly reminded how much of monster Trump is.

Ekai

I find this entire thread amusing. Doubly so that fairly benign criticism against the outrage posters over a meaningless interview has led to this dumpster fire.

You're projecting onto others what you are doing yourself. You do this all the time and you do it to people whenever they start to have criticisms of the right-wing. You are easily the most outraged person in this topic. >_>

You always avoid being on-topic and just want to grill others for the way they argue....while completely projecting onto them your own fallacies. It's astoundingly hypocritical the way you argue and I sincerely think you need to take a breath and examine yourself.

Jonm1010

Banned
Trump is not entitled to appear on a talk show, especially when the equal treatment clause does not apply to The Tonight Show. The talk show has the right and the ability to refuse to work with Trump. Shit, what if Trump's desires were to have Jimmy Fallon come out in support of Trump, or else he wouldn't show up? I have to assume that they would draw the line there, why can't they draw the line at treating him like a clown child?

You know why.

You're projecting onto others what you are doing yourself. You do this all the time and you do it to people whenever they start to have criticisms of the right-wing. You are easily the most outraged person in this topic. >_>

Seriously lol. Jonm straight up is getting outraged over outrage.

Christopher

Jimmy Fallon isn't a social justice warrior he's a comedian who's show isn't know for hard hitting interviews...don't watch him if you don't like his approach.

samn

totally fine. It is a comedy show, not the debates.

As soon as someone says 'oh it's just comedy!' all morality and duty of responsibility somehow goes out the window.

Jimmy Fallon isn't a social justice warrior he's a comedian who's show isn't know for hard hitting interviews...don't watch him if you don't like his approach.

Me not watching him doesn't make any difference. Other people watch him in their millions. He has an impact.

And the show's network is entitled to bring on a person of interest.

Jonm1010

Banned
Nah. Most amused maybe.

Then don't invite either, and release a statement explaining why. Sorry but any decent person should have any interest in having some fun talk show segment with a guy who proclaimed Mexican immigrants to be rapists and criminals, who has wondered aloud about Hillary being assassinated, who has openly asked the Russians to hack his opponent, and who has mocked the family of a dead soldier, as well as a POW. We should stop playing into this "level playing field" garbage ass narrative and it should start with the media. One side (and his supporters) is a reprehensible, unqualified cunt, and the other isn't. Start treating him that way.

Yeah that's basically how I see it. If Jimmy can't hash out a meaningful conversation with a Presidential candidate, or can't help but be all buddy buddy with this asshole because he doesn't have the capability of doing something more serious than a lip sync battle with Justin Timberlake then don't bring any serious guests on the show. (At the same time if he can't do that then I'm not sure if he should even have a show like this in the first place but whatever)

As soon as someone says 'oh it's just comedy!' all morality and duty of responsibility somehow goes out the window.

What responsibility do you think a Late Night Talk Show Host has?

His only responsibility is to put on a show that entertains the viewers and gets ratings.

But that's the thing: David Duke is not a presidential candidate from a major political party. He's a fringe element. That's why your equivalence doesn't work.

If Fallon softballed, say, Ted Cruz, what if people said "well what if Donald Trump was the candidate?" Would people say "he's a fringe element" too?

You can't simply dismiss it as "well he's not," because we're talking about a hypothetical where he is. The notion that David Duke, or someone as bad as him, cannot become the Republican presidential candidate has no basis in a world where people have been for the entire race saying that Trump has no chance in the world.

If a former Grand Wizard (or even Exalted Cyclops) was the candidate, would it be okay to treat him like Trump was treated?

Sweet. Good new-fashioned liberal witch hunt.

Sometimes the need for the left to marginalize and find hate and blame in everything is just a touch insufferable.

Fallon is an idiot. Trump is an idiot. It was two idiots being idiots. End of story.

The fact that Fallon asked more of Hilary should be comforting more than anything. Puts her at a higher standard as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom