• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

Dot50Cal

Banned
Direct shots in one hour, and someone asked if RE4 lacked this issue, if you booted it in 480p mode it didnt have it, but regularly (what I did) it had it horribly. Anyway all is fixed now, its the hotness.

Outbreak online: I'll test it when I get home (1 hour). Boss is coming, afk!

rage1973

Glad they released this before God of War II came out. I haven't had a PS2 since my house got robbed 2 years ago but now I can play this on my PS3.

Bebpo

Banned
Steroyd said:
Before and after shots?

BEFORE:
ps3hdmioq1.jpg

now somebody take a pic of after!

Rody

A mod should change the thread title to "PS3 BC FIXED!!!!111!!11!one!1".

LJ11 said:
**** YES! :D

Che can now stop bitching about needing his PS2.

I'm sure he'll find something else to "bitch" about.

Pallaris

Question:

When playing a PS2/PSone game do you have to switch your XMB resolution to 480p or does the PS3 take care of that automatically?

Steroyd

Bebpo said:
BEFORE:
ps3hdmioq1.jpg

now somebody take a pic of after!

Oh dear lord.

:O

I havn't got FFXII or a PS3 so these issues will never make it to European shores but goddamn you had to put up with that for 3 months.

cvxfreak

Jax said:
NEAT!

good work sony. With the EE chip onboard, this will be a 100% BC.

All we need is HDD support for the RE Outbreak games and who knows what else isn't getting its HDD support...

Dot50Cal

Banned
Direct captures.

PS2:

ps2.jpg

PS2 (w/ smooth texture mapping - see note):

ps2s.jpg

PS3:

ps3.jpg

What I noticed was, the PS3 lacks the option the PS2 has to smooth out textures. This however screws up any textures which use transparency, as you can see on the tree in this shot in silent hill.

Also the PS3 moves the image left by about 2-3 pixels and up by around 1 pixel.

I couldnt get direct PS1 shots as none of the PS1's support component video out and it wouldnt really be fair to use a different lossy cable for it against component on the ps2 and ps3.

Other than the differences above, SH GRAPHICALLY is fine, however when you shoot your pistol in the game the audio freaks out on the PS3. I think Silent Hill itself is coming through using the 4D power of your PS3 and trying to infest your home when you shoot.

Anyway, shots of PS2 games next.

PS1 Status: Identical to PS2's standard mapping. albeit slightly darker.

Holy crap I'm glad we europeans we'll never have to deal with this shit. You lab rats did your job well. ;) Now they should fix the 720p problem with Blu-Ray movies before March and everything will all be perfect. Yay!

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo: You have a japanese PS3? Or is Legacy content not region locked. If it isn't.. Then it is indeed time to retire the Sakura Pink PS2.

llTll

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Holy crap I'm glad we europeans we'll never have to deal with this shit. You lab rats did your job well. ;) Now they should fix the 720p problem with Blu-Ray movies before March and everything will all be perfect. Yay!

dont worry. u will join our lab rat in march.

we will get the april update together :D

Aeon712

This is great news, too bad I cant get the update till I get home today. Now I need a memory card adapter to transfer my saves over. No way I'm starting Okami and FFXII over. Also new user pics is perfect, was tired of my pedobear av.

llTll said:
dont worry. u will join our lab rat in march.

we will get the april update together :D

Well, if they fix the 720p problem I personally won't have to worry about anything else. If they don't, we'll both wait for the April update. ;)

Dot50Cal

Banned
PS3 outputs a more blurry image than PS2 when doing PS2 games!

:lol But seriously, see for yourself. Subsistence is noticiably blurry when using the PS3, and clear as a bell on the PS2. Nothing else other than that to report besides the same brightness difference, but damn, this sucks :\

PS3 (blurry)
mgsps3.jpg

PS2 (fine)
mps2.jpg

Im going to test more games with this to see if this is a system wide issue.

antiloop

Dot50Cal said:
PS3 outputs a more blurry image than PS2 when doing PS2 games!

:lol But seriously, see for yourself. Subsistence is noticiably blurry when using the PS3, and clear as a bell on the PS2. Nothing else other than that to report besides the same brightness difference, but damn, this sucks :\

PS3 (blurry)
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/shcomp/mgsps3.jpg

PS2 (fine)
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/shcomp/mps2.jpg

Im going to test more games with this to see if this is a system wide issue.

480i->480p tends to do that.

Same shit with the 360 upscaling.

Is it over HDMI btw?

So BC is all fixed up now? I won't need to keep a spot open in my entertainment center for my ps2 anymore, right? If so I guess I'll be buying a ps3 next month.

Dot50Cal

Banned
antiloop said:
480i->480p tends to do that.

Same shit with the 360 upscaling.

Is it over HDMI btw?

Obviously not, as theres no way to capture HDMI without HDCP on the PS3. There is no 480p here, both are running in 480i as theres no 480p capture cards readily available to the market right now.

Im using component cables on both. Im testing RE4 now.

Re4 has it too, so yeah ;\ (Pay attention to the bullet, its most noticable there) Hard to see it with RE4 though, given that the whole game looks pretty bad since its running in a lower resolution.

PS2:

re4ps2.jpg

PS3:

re4ps3.jpg

Demigod Mac

Does it still fudge a 480i image over 480p by using artificial (system-internal) interlacing?

My HDTV automatically converts 480i into 480p - and I was pretty shocked to see interlacing happen on PS2 games. By setting the PS3 to 480i ONLY, I got a real 480i signal that my TV converted.

Dot50Cal

Banned
If you have an image application, quickly flash them back and forth. The moss on the tree's is a great place to spot the blur.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dot50Cal said:
If you have an image application, quickly flash them back and forth. The moss on the tree's is a great place to spot the blur.

PS3 applies FSAA to PS2 games CONFIRMED!

lolz

Dot50Cal

Banned
Animation1.gif

See now? (blurry is obviously ps3) and its not AA, if it were it wouldnt be affecting textures and we still see pixels.

Notice how even snakes hunger meter is affected? This tells me that its likely the PS3 stretching the image out or resizing it improperly, im not sure. Perhaps some more educated folks can chime in.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dot50Cal said:
See now? (blurry is obviously ps3) and its not AA, if it were it wouldnt be affecting textures and we still see pixels.

Actually the FULL SCREEN AA affects *all* the screen without making any dinstinction between polys and textures.

But I was kiddin anyway :)

The Jer

llTll said:
can you please link me man. thanks

Here's your link:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates

It still says version 1.32 for some reason, but you can check to see if it downloads the new version. I've done an update from USB this way (version 1.32) to see how it worked and it went fine. Make sure you have the update in folders with the correct names; insrtuctions are linked below:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates/pc_update.html#update_PC

Dot50Cal

Banned
Erm, blur issue is getting overlooked, I suppose its best to make a new topic about it since this ones getting burried under celebrations XD

f@luS

More than a member.
Dot50Cal said:
Erm, blur issue is getting overlooked, I suppose its best to make a new topic about it since this ones getting burried under celebrations XD
Ur jumping too fast on conclusion , making another thread is too early wait up , or u want to be the one making a thread? dunno

Tellaerin

Dot50Cal said:

I think it may be getting overlooked because most people here don't consider it a major issue. Hell, the screens you posted were practically indistinguishable from one another. Did this really need a seperate topic because people weren't breaking out the torches and pitchforks over it? :p

Steroyd

Dot50Cal said:
Animation1.gif

Notice how even snakes hunger meter is affected? This tells me that its likely the PS3 stretching the image out or resizing it improperly, im not sure. Perhaps some more educated folks can chime in.

So basically if I squint from a few meters away from the TV I'll notice the slight blur on the health bar?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Well I figured some people here wouldnt get the implications of this, but I didnt think you'd all jump on the bandwagon.

A sad day for quality control.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dot50Cal said:
Well I figured some people here wouldnt get the implications of this, but I didnt think you'd all jump on the bandwagon.

Uh-huh.

Anyways...guess Ill buy Okami today and see what all the fuss is about. :D

CSSer

w00t, now I can play FFXII the way it was meant to be played... however, I'm more than 75% done with the game.

Diablos

Bebpo said:

That's so terrible :lol

It's about time they fixed that. Still, there's gonna be tons of people who don't go online with their PS3 that probably think they're stuck with weird PS2 emulation :p

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dot50Cal said:

You're funny.

jjasper

This is exciting I had passed on playing some PS2 games near the end of last year to save up for the PS3 (thinking I could just buy them on the cheap later and play them on ps3) when there was an issue on BC I just thought I would have to pass. Now I can finally play Valkyrie Profile 2 without having to worry about issues.

Top Bottom