• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

Sho Nuff

Banned
Another nitpick: I wish they would fix their screwy English in the menus, I don't think any native speaker checked the system messages.

"Please wait until the update data starts"

edit: Ooooh God Hand looks good.

Bebpo

Banned
They just added schoolgirl/schoolboy costumes for Genji II to the JPN store as well. I know the US store got a costume pack but did it include 3 new costumes for each character or 12 total new ones?

Argyle

Kobun Heat said:
I had the exact same ****ed up static when I tested out Okami just now. I quit to the title screen and it disappeared, and didn't come back when I rebooted. Weird.

bizarre that we're all celebrating the fact that the BC now actually works when really this should have been in place two months ago

Lowered expectations from Xbox 360 "backwards compatibility," I think. :)

Here's the file, enjoy. :)

http://putstuff.putfile.com/40586/920469/

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
K, the BC shit is a "shoulda been done" thing that was a nice surprise. The PS Store? Niiiice.

Yama

cvxfreak said:
Anyone want my Japanese white PStwo? :lol
Actually, I do. I need to play Code: Veronica Complete (PS2) yet.

BTW, your release timeline is up. Thanks for letting me use.

Yama

Dante said:
Any word on when we can play the PSP downloads on the PS3?
Considering it forces you to connect the PSP and download directly, I doubt it. When I downloaded Biohazard there were no options to even back up the file on the PlayStation 3 HDD.

Edit: Ooops, thought you said if, not when. Sorry.

So how do you put up your own picture as an avatar? I've been looking at the pictures options and such and I'm not seeing it. I also tried doing the account management thing and it's not there either.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
akachan ningen said:
So how do you put up your own picture as an avatar? I've been looking at the pictures options and such and I'm not seeing it. I also tried doing the account management thing and it's not there either.
its for the main users on your ps3, not your PS ID icon.

Yama

akachan ningen said:
I believe they meant your own PSN supplied image, not a local image file? Clarify?

JB1981

did they always offer video output format options over HDMI under BD/DVD settings?

it gives you the option for RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
akachan ningen said:
Oh, that's lame. Are they afraid of weenie pictures or something? Well, I changed it anyway.
I think thats pretty much the reason. They should atleast hook us up with more icons to choose from in march to compensate. :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
did they always offer video output format options over HDMI under BD/DVD settings?

it gives you the option for RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

Thaw was added in one of the previous updates.
AV exps will tell you Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr is better, but movies look better with RGB to me o_O

llTll

Banned
_leech_ said:
Wasn't the Japanese update released before the US one?

i dont know. i didnt download it.

can someone ANSWER ME >_<

is it possible to get the US update on japanese PS3 or i will kill my system?

also. how come the US playstation 3 site doesnt have the update available to download.

the Japanese one does ? any direct link?

terrene

Banned
Just put in a half hour in FFXII with the fix in. Beautiful! Turns out the whole framebuffer is smoother - it wasn't just the 2D elements and FMV, as I thought.

What a shame that I played the game for 92 hours before this fix came out. Oh well, I have 40 hours to go. Jesus, Sony, it took you long enough! And they release this fix without ever acknowledging the problem!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
terrene said:
Just put in a half hour in FFXII. What a shame that I played the game for 92 hours before this fix came out. Oh well, I have 40 hours to go. Jesus, Sony, it took you long enough! And they did it all without ever acknowledging the problem!

Same here, but with MGS2. Man 60fps is sooo sweet.

Rody

Awesome news. Now I can ditch my PS2 and buy a PS3. :D

Defensor said:
sonysmooth9kk.jpg

:lol

_leech_ said:
Don't worry, i'm sure someone from 1up will find something horribly wrong with this.

Totally. Luke will probably go: "So? The ****ing thing has a PS2 inside, for ****'s sake!"

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
TTP said:
Thaw was added in one of the previous updates.
AV exps will tell you Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr is better, but movies look better with RGB to me o_O

Are you sure? I'm foggy on the subject, but I always thought Y was compressed, and thus more "fit" for most TV use, due to how it send sthe signal (1 brightness, others color and such), whereas RGB just sends chroma down each pipe.

o_O

How off am I?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh shit they actually fixed something

i need to keep my ps2 hooked up for imports anyway, but uh...cool

Yama

Aizu_Itsuko said:
So are all PS2 games being upscaled to 480p now? What about PSone games?

I find the lack of pics in this thread disturbing :)
It's not upscaling, but fixing the actual issues the console had displaying the games. As for images, there are a few along with a video. Don't worry, it's real! :p

King Dork

Let me ask a question to all who have HDTV's. I tried playing my PS2 on my widescreen monitor, using component input. All the games looked like ass. Does the BC on the PS3 look good "relatively" to what it was before, or does it actually make the old PS2 games look smooth and legible on hi-def screens?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SnakeXs said:
Are you sure? I'm foggy on the subject, but I always thought Y was compressed, and thus more "fit" for most TV use, due to how it send sthe signal (1 brightness, others color and such), whereas RGB just sends chroma down each pipe.

o_O

How off am I?

Dunno. I'm not an exp either but image looks brighter to me in RGB compared to the other solution. And colors, while less "deep", look more natural to me, like the skin being rosy in RGB and almost red-ish in Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, got what I mean?

Keys

llTll said:
i dont know. i didnt download it.

can someone ANSWER ME >_<

is it possible to get the US update on japanese PS3 or i will kill my system?

also. how come the US playstation 3 site doesnt have the update available to download.

the Japanese one does ? any direct link?

PS3 JP site still have 1.32 for download and it's here http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/update/
There's a direct link on the official US ps3 forum for the 1.50 update but i don't know if it will work on a JP machine. Sorry :/

Bebpo

Banned
Aizu_Itsuko said:
So are all PS2 games being upscaled to 480p now? What about PSone games?

I find the lack of pics in this thread disturbing :)

It upscales them to 480p.

If you are using an LCD it will now look identical to hooking a PS2 up to an LCD since both ways the 480i image would be shown 480p style. I think DLP/Plasma are the same way.

If you have an interlaced CRT...it looks different. I can have my TV scale games on my PS2 480i->480p and that's what they look like coming from the PS3 on 480p. Personally I prefer 480i because it looks incredibly sharp on my XBR960 over 480p which looks soft and blurry (like someone was using a "bob" deinterlacer on a movie). Not the PS3's fault, I don't even think 480i is possible over HDMI.

But for basically everyone besides me this will make things perfect.

Bebpo

Banned
llTll said:
can you please link me man. thanks

1.50 came out in Japan at the same time as the US. The hardware updates are always worldwide. A Japanese PS3 will force you to update it the second a firmare update comes out in any region.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
SnakeXs said:

o_O

How off am I?

my understanding is that dvds and bds are encoded in y/pb/pr, so sending the video in that format cuts one conversion out of the process

Top Bottom