• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kobun Heat said:
I had the exact same ****ed up static when I tested out Okami just now. I quit to the title screen and it disappeared, and didn't come back when I rebooted. Weird.

bizarre that we're all celebrating the fact that the BC now actually works when really this should have been in place two months ago
Are you using HDMI?

People are celebrating in the same way that people celebrate new additions to 360's compatibility. Honestly, I love when little feature do not initially function only to be added later as it prompts a whole new round of testing/playing. :D

What I noticed was, the PS3 lacks the option the PS2 has to smooth out textures. This however screws up any textures which use transparency, as you can see on the tree in this shot in silent hill.
Silent Hill has visual errors on both PS2 and PS3. Nothing major, but essentially, the fog is no longer properly blended with the background and the individual textures used to display the flashlight corona are revealed (square edges).

BuddyC

I am quite impressed by this wholly unexpected development. Now I just need to snag one of those PS2 -> PS3 Memory Card Adapters.

RuGalz

Hooray, excellent news to wake up to. :) Now I can continue to finish some of my PS2 games; it's also just in time for Rogue Galaxy.

llTll

Banned
The Jer said:
Here's your link:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates

It still says version 1.32 for some reason, but you can check to see if it downloads the new version. I've done an update from USB this way (version 1.32) to see how it worked and it went fine. Make sure you have the update in folders with the correct names; insrtuctions are linked below:

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates/pc_update.html#update_PC

when you download a the file. whatever its version 1, 1.1 , 1.5 they all have the same name. so basicly you wont know if its version 1.5 or 1.32 unless u try it on the ps3.

however. someone posted the link of it from the playstation board. i downloaded it but didnt install it. i am wondering if its valid link or not.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG the games look perfect!!!

**** YES!!!!!

I can play KH2 now without having to sit really far away from the TV.

THANK YOU SONY!!!

aloof

Banned
I'm going to take pics of a couple of games. I still haven't downloaded the update so they will be before and after.

- Shadow of the Collossus (which looks FF12 like awful)
- Maybe something else

BuddyC

I am a huge dork.

sambaps3.jpg

I can confirm this, it fixes the problems with playing PS2 games on PS3 (some of them). I popped in Tales of the Abyss now, and it looks fine.

I just tried FFX (which had tons of jaggies) and now it looks sweet.

Sony, you rock. :)

BuddyC

kaching said:
Any idea what the optimal resolution is on the personalized system ID pics?
I have no clue. Both images I transferred over (48 x 48, 95 x 120) seem to display at their native resolution. If I had to guess, I'd say something in the area of 30 x 30 / 40 x 40 would be pretty close to the size of the original system ID pictures.

EDIT: I take that back, it looks like they're being stretched to fit a certain width while their dimensions remain relative, but I don't know what that resolution is. Though I can say there's a lot less distortion on the 95 x 120 image than the 48 x 48 one, so I'd recommend an image that's at least 90 pixels wide.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Dot50Cal said:
Erm, blur issue is getting overlooked, I suppose its best to make a new topic about it since this ones getting burried under celebrations XD

Anyone else think that Sony did this intentionally? The dreaded jaggies and shimmering effect that i used to notice during mgs2 and ffx are pretty much smoothed out by this, without looking bad at all.

chriskzoo

Banned
Anyone have info on the personalized icons? From the Sony online manual it looks like you can use any picture you want:

Editing user information

Edit user information, such as user name and icon. Log in as the user whose information you want to edit. Select the icon of the user, press the button, and then select [Information] from the options menu. Select the items that you want to edit.
Hints

* Only information for the current user can be edited.
* You can select an icon from images saved on the hard disk or from preset icons.

Believe it or not, this makes the PS3 better than my PS2 at playing PS2 games. My HDTV scaled the same content generated by the PS2 incorrectly in the same way that the PS3 (pre 1.5) did. Now with 1.5, KH and FFXII look great for the first time on my display.

MoxManiac

Sho Nuff said:
Another nitpick: I wish they would fix their screwy English in the menus, I don't think any native speaker checked the system messages.

"Please wait until the update data starts"

edit: Ooooh God Hand looks good.

As long as God Hand runs it's all good!

M3Freak

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
If you have an image application, quickly flash them back and forth. The moss on the tree's is a great place to spot the blur.

Holy shit. If that's what you have to do to notice, who cares?

Anyway, I'd have to say the situation now is much better than before the 1.5 update. MUCH better. Actually, for me, it's perfect.

M3Freak

Banned
llTll said:
however. someone posted the link of it from the playstation board. i downloaded it but didnt install it. i am wondering if its valid link or not.

Same here. I was about to, then stopped. But, I compared that link to the official 1.32 update on the ps3 website, and the format is the same.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Dot50Cal said:
Well I figured some people here wouldnt get the implications of this, but I didnt think you'd all jump on the bandwagon.

A sad day for quality control.

I can run a Sharpen Filter on the image if it will make you feel better bubububuuuuu

Remy

In my completely rushed test this morning, Bully's characters are still jaggy as hell.

But I think this may be a problem with the original source. :D

dark10x

Well I figured some people here wouldnt get the implications of this, but I didnt think you'd all jump on the bandwagon.

A sad day for quality control.
What if someone PREFERS the look?!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Good now I can finally get around to copying all of my PS2 and PS1 memory cards over to the HDD. I wasn't going to bother with doing that back when the PS3 wasn't backwardly compatible!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Um, I think they ****ed up FFXII with this update...

If you set FFXII to 16:9 mode, it only takes up half of the screen on a 16:9 TV:
ffxiips31qx.jpg

This pisses me off. I was waiting for this update to play FFXII but if I want to play it I need to do it with the top 1/3 of the screen cut off.

Edit: And the ****ing vertical interlacing problem is STILL THERE. All they did was add what looks like a blur filter to cloud it a bit, but it is DEFINITELY THERE. You can especially notice it when the screen is moving; still pictures make it more difficult to notice.

tanod

when is my burrito
ManaByte said:

If you set FFXII to 16:9 mode, it only takes up half of the screen on a 16:9 TV:
ffxiips31qx.jpg

This pisses me off. I was waiting for this update to play FFXII but if I want to play it I need to do it with the top 1/3 of the screen cut off.

Edit: And the ****ing vertical interlacing problem is STILL THERE. All they did was add what looks like a blur filter to cloud it a bit, but it is DEFINITELY THERE. You can especially notice it when the screen is moving; still pictures make it more difficult to notice.

The 16:9 Mode problem is your TV. Mine works fine.

Most game sites are blocked at work-- is there an official change log that combody could post? Or is it only in Japanese?

Also, any other changes to resolution issues? It's a very minor deal, but I'd like to be able to peg the resolutions I want different stuff to run. My TV does a fine job of scaling 1080i ot 720P, but I'd rather be able to tell the PS3 to just start the XMB in 720P and only go to 1080i for movies. Or better, just play the movies at 720P.

BuddyC said:
I am quite impressed by this wholly unexpected development. Now I just need to snag one of those PS2 -> PS3 Memory Card Adapters.

Give me your address and postage $, and I'll send you mine. While entirely necessary, the one-time usage of this thing makes me feel like a dolt for buying it.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
ManaByte said:

I don't think its a blur filter, I think it's just a de-interlace filter applied to anything running at 480i. If you take anything interlaced and filter it out to progressive, you do get a bit of blur.

Eh. I'll take it. Better than the over-interlacing that happened before. Now fix Guitar Hero and add rumble so my beta test can end, Sony. :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
tanod said:
The 16:9 Mode problem is your TV. Mine works fine.

Ok, so I can't run 16:9 PS2 content on my HDTV? Shut the **** up. This is a BC problem.

Again, I just checked FFXII, DQVIII, and Okami and the vertical interlacing problem was NOT resolved. They just added a soft focus blur filter to fix TEXT. In-game stuff is still affected and you can really notice it when stuff is moving. The initial movement in the FFXIII openting FMV is the worst.

EMBee99 said:
I don't think its a blur filter, I think it's just a de-interlace filter applied to anything running at 480i. If you take anything interlaced and filter it out to progressive, you do get a bit of blur.

Eh. I'll take it. Better than the over-interlacing that happened before. Now fix Guitar Hero and add rumble so my beta test can end, Sony. :lol

If it was a de-interlace filter, it wouldn't still have the interlacing problem; would it? No, they just added a "unsharpen" filter over all PS2 games to disguise the interlacing problem, which is still there.

This is a sloppy "band aid" fix that doesn't resolve the problem.

BuddyC

AltogetherAndrews said:
Give me your address and postage $, and I'll send you mine. While entirely necessary, the one-time usage of this thing makes me feel like a dolt for buying it.
I know what you mean.

/looks at Steel Battalion

dark10x

ManaByte said:
Ok, so I can't run 16:9 PS2 content on my HDTV? Shut the **** up. This is a BC problem.

Again, I just checked FFXII, DQVIII, and Okami and the vertical interlacing problem was NOT resolved. They just added a soft focus blur filter to fix TEXT. In-game stuff is still affected and you can really notice it when stuff is moving. The initial movement in the FFXIII openting FMV is the worst.
It isn't the same problem, though (where pixels were flipped). I'll have to take a look at it later on today and see for myself, though.

A soft focus blur alone would NOT fix THIS...

ps3hdmioq1.jpg

ps315bcfix18mc.jpg

There's more to it than that, even if a problem DOES still exist. The original problem has been corrected, but there seems to be additional problems left to address.

ManaByte

Gold Member
dark10x said:
It isn't the same problem, though (where pixels were flipped). I'll have to take a look at it later on today and see for myself, though.

A soft focus blur alone would NOT fix THIS...

ps3hdmioq1.jpg

There's more to it than that, even if a problem DOES still exist...

Look at Vaan's hair in my screen above...his neck...and the armor of the guard. You can still see the same ****ing vertical interlacing bullshit fanboys are praising this as fixing, but it didn't fix it at all. They just covered it up.

dark10x

ManaByte said:
Look at Vaan's hair in my screen above...his neck...and the armor of the guard. You can still see the same ****ing vertical interlacing bullshit fanboys are praising this as fixing, but it didn't fix it at all. They just covered it up.
That's not the same issue. They did not just "cover it up". They addressed one major aspect of the problem, but other issues still remain.

ManaByte

Gold Member
dark10x said:
That's not the same issue.

PS2 games looking worse than the originally did is not the same issue?

As far as I am concerned, the PS3 is still not backwardly compatible until they REALLY fix this issue.

ManaByte

Gold Member
theBishop said:
oh who are we kidding. Its going to be all over the internet today:

Sony Kills Baby, makes old games Blurry

They did a "band aid" fix (which any ****ing game developer on the planet would tell you that's NOT how you fix shit) and it's going to backfire badly once sites pick up on what the "fix" actually was.

Top Bottom