• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's X-Men Arcade game - XBLA/PSN, 6 player drop-in/drop-out online multiplayer

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Maybe want.

Here's hoping for a demo on PSN.

Ridley327

Oh, that selectable Japanese version is a really neat addition.

A shame that the deal with Activision prevents them from adding new content.

fernoca

Oh my!! Finally!
That link of the animated series brought back so many memories!
Day one!...again!!..:lol
The Simpsons next!!!!!

Oh god yes! Maybe I'll get stuck being Dazzler again like I always seemed to be in the arcade.

I wish Metamorphic Force was included too, Final Fight Double Impact style.

Holy shit, this is awesome.

I hope we get The Simpsons Arcade game next. :D Would be a blast to play it again after all these years.

Good, good, now they just need to leave it alone and not attempt to tamper with it like what was done with Turtles in Time "Reshelled".

Like said above, The Simpsons Arcade next and my life will be sort of complete.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Speedymanic said:

jvr3N.jpg

QGm6B.jpg

zY0ic.jpg

FMpOB.jpg

OCI99.jpg

IxhsZ.jpg

Teknoman

jetsetfluken said:
Good, good, now they just need to leave it alone and not attempt to tamper with it like what was done with Turtles in Time "Reshelled".

Like said above, The Simpsons Arcade next and my life will be sort of complete.

Yes please.

So is this port done by fucking...fucking...FUCKING BACKBONE?

The video preview with the menu looks so Backbone-cheap. Are those the same menu sound effects as the SEGA Vintage Collection XBLA ports they did? I think they are. :lol

I mean there's not much that can be fucked up, just bring it untouched with widescreen/online 6-player co-op, but the for example with their MVC2 PSN/XBLA port, the menu system over-rode the original's menu system (and they removed the intro!!!) and it kind of sucked a little charm and authenticity out of it, making me go back to the DC version for real nostalgia. Same for Sonic 3/Knuckles XBLA...and you couldn't even use the save file select screen in the originals, meaning you can't play as Super/Hyper Sonic/Knuckles/Tails in all levels at will. Meaning they're worthless ports.

Zabka

That's strange. The lifebars are different in the screenshots than the video. Looks like they put them onto the playing area instead of just leaving them in the black on top. Why the fuck would they do that?

After checking...but the lifebars are over the play area in the original. I just hate the layering of sharp, new UI elements over low-resolution 2d games.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't get the hype. Everyone who brought up nostalgia goggles are right. This game was THE shining example of "shitty quarter-munching beat-em-ups." Ridiculously cheap, unfair bosses who could only be beaten by using up special moves that also drained your life. Even when I was 8 I figured out pretty quickly that my quarters were better-spent elsewhere.

All this game has going for it is the license and a looooot of shit going on at once. That was true of most of Konami's beat-em-ups to an extent, but I thought The Simpsons held up a lot better than this one.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Sixfortyfive said:
I don't get the hype. Everyone who brought up nostalgia goggles are right. This game was THE shining example of "shitty quarter-munching beat-em-ups." Ridiculously cheap, unfair bosses who could only be beaten by using up special moves that also drained your life. Even when I was 8 I figured out pretty quickly that my quarters were better-spent elsewhere.

All this game has going for it is the license and a looooot of shit going on at once. That was true of most of Konami's beat-em-ups to an extent, but I thought The Simpsons held up a lot better than this one.

The cheap bosses is what I hated the most about the game. If you try to beat the bosses (Save for pyro) with any skill/stragety you are gonna go thru tons of quarters. So whats the alternative? Spam the special move button like a retard. HURRR. Betting most people will play this once maybe twice and never play it again :lol Id rather see a release of the Dungeon and Dragon Games, Alien Vs Predator, Knights of the Round, or Captain Commando. And of course, the best fuking beat em up game (GUARDIAN HEROES)

lupin23rd

I don't even like X-Men and this is great news, loved those style of games.

Don't know if this helps things for a Capcom AvP or D&D port, but one can hope.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm actually slightly bummed about this. I'm sure. . . ten years ago I would have been all over this. :\

Either way it will be fun to watch folks come to the realization after they plop down the cash for this.

I do! Laser claws = FAIL CLAWS!

Someone release The Avengers
the superior Marvel Comics arcade beat'em up
on XBLA/PSN!
Avengers is so much better than the xmen arcade game. It wasn't even as good as other beat em ups of the time. 6 player is pretty much all it had going for it.

Nekofrog

Banned
colossus.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

One of the best things about MAGfest is the Colossus yell.

outsida

:D :D :D This is my all time fav arcade games... I wasted so much money playing this game from beginning to end time and time again.

Man, it's like I'm 10 years old all over again! I think this was at a Chucky Cheese or some other place I rarely went to but I always loved this game.

Nekofrog said:
One of the best things about MAGfest is the Colossus yell.

:lol Someone else knows the Magfest fun, eh?

Trakdown

The voice acting had to be re-recorded for this release,

That's...odd. Wonder if they're going to keep Magneto's stuff as bad as it was.

Yeah, I might get this if $5.00 or less. The draw really was the 6 player unit; unheard of at the time, but nowadays that's nothing special. Besides that, playing online is way different than queuing up with 5 other people on the same machine in an arcade.

And those redrawn life bars offend me. :(

GhaleonQ

Phoenix Fang said:
I was joking dude. Humour doesn't express well over the internet :/

I was being facetious in the Bangai-O: Missile Fury topic, too, but I got banned, citing your "freak out" comment (and not any sort of rules violation). I just wanted to tell you that I hate you for your thoughtlessness. That's all!

Trakdown said:
That's...odd. Wonder if they're going to keep Magneto's stuff as bad as it was.

They clearly are, judging from that reveal trailer. "Welcome, to DIE!"

They may have needed to rerecord the lines because they may not own the rights to the existing voicework anymore, and would need to negotiate amended or new contracts with some of the VAs, assuming they can track them down. It's probably cheaper to cast and record new voices, and allows them more control and audio quality.

outsida said:
:D :D :D This is my all time fav arcade games... I wasted so much money playing this game from beginning to end time and time again.
same.

this and the Simpsons Arcade Game. as far as 4-player games go. my all-timers are Mortal Komat and Killer Instinct. Nothing like waiting in line at the arcade in the 90s...when arcades mattered.

Celsior

I remember I was on vacation at this Virginia Resort and me and a group of 5 other kids used to hang out together. The first thing we did all 7 days was go to the six player cabinet of this and beat it:lol :lol
I will buy day one.

DeadTrees

Sixfortyfive said:

Can't argue against your other points, but Storm can hit-and-run every boss (other than Magneto) without taking a scratch.

ArjanN

Sixfortyfive said:

This.

X-men is actually one of Konami's weakest beat 'em ups.

Asterix, The Simpsons, TMNT 1 and 2, Crime Fighters 2 (Vendetta), Violent Storm (Crime Fighters 3) and Sunset Riders for example are all MUCH better.

Top Bottom