• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Ethernet Adapter

alf717

Has anyone looked into this any further? I'd love to be proven wrong :)

Prove you wrong on what? =)

Edit:

Since this has been bumped I tested my speed through ethernet on Wii U using speedof.me/m/ and got 12Mbps much better than what I was getting. Perhaps the 4.0+ update fixed this old issue. I know I can get really good quality Netflix vids now as well.

EDarkness

Edit:

Since this has been bumped I tested my speed through ethernet on Wii U using speedof.me/m/ and got 12Mbps much better than what I was getting. Perhaps the 4.0+ update fixed this old issue. I know I can get really good quality Netflix vids now as well.

So the Ethernet Adapter is actually worth getting now?

Edit:

Replied to the wrong thread on the subject. I'm the living manifestation of the word derp.

Edit:

I just did a re-test as well and got better numbers than I EVER did in the past. Maybe they really did fix something!

Persona7

Banned
Maybe it was fixed. That would not be surprising considering the unfinished state the operating system was in at launch.

EDarkness

If this got fixed, then I might have to get an ethernet adapter. They're pretty cheap now, so it might be worth looking into.

alf717

So the Ethernet Adapter is actually worth getting now?

I'm not sure which site is best to use to test bandwidth speed with the Wii U browser but using bandwidthplace gave me results around 10 Mbps and the speedof.me site gave me 12Mbps.

speedof.me

avg = 12.82

bandwidthplace

avg = 9.84

I would say the results are much better than before. Netflix when I'm not using it during peak hours gave me really good quality picture and game updates and downloads seem to fly now. My DSL provides me with a 17Mbps connection. There must be another thread because I remember posting result in the 5Mbps range using Ethernet before all the updates came along. I never bothered to test it since but I went back to Ethernet when the 4.0 update was released because using Wifi was causing the Wii U update to take forever. During the 4.0 update I went and put my Wii U right next to my router. I figured I would just settle for the 5Mbps but thanks to this bump I decided to test it again was really happy with the results.

I checked my speed in the system info screen in CoD Ghosts and, while I used to get 6000-8000kbps on wireless, I'm getting 4200kbps on wired. When I checked my speeds awhile back when I first got my Wii U, I was getting less than 1000kbps regularly which is why I switched to wireless and sold my original ethernet adapter. I'm glad this BestBuy sale happened and made me try again because I'm willing to take the hit on speed for stability and less lag.

This...will make this more stable and less likely to lag...right?

P.S. I have something like 50/50 from FiOS, if that makes a difference to anyone.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This...will make this more stable and less likely to lag...right?
It's hard to say one way or another if you can't find a way to measure actual latency. (Bandwidth is irrelevant.)

The main reason this is even a question is because the adapter is limited by the USB2 interface. Straight ethernet to the console would almost definitely be less prone to issues than wireless, but when you add USB polling to the mix and have to account for however the console handles it, who knows.

i bought this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001IX8BVI/

i have it connected via cat 6 cable to a gigabit switch, and then a 20m cat6 cable to the gigabit router

using bandwidthpalace i get the same dl speeds of 8mbps and 15ms ping when using wired and wireless

i have 30mbps virgin broadband and its 6pm nearly here, and ive been streaming a few episodes of dexter so probably hit a dl cap, that and the fact its peak hours

the wii u networking components still sux but the ethernet is def much improved

Just as I had got over what an infuriating disaster the WiiU's networking situation is, I read this thread.

Uhhh, even at its worst I wouldn't say that the Wii U's networking situation is an "infuriating disaster." It sounds like you lost a limb trying to connect to the internet.

Qassim

Uhhh, even at its worst I wouldn't say that the Wii U's networking situation is an "infuriating disaster." It sounds like you lost a limb trying to connect to the internet.

I connected just fine first time. It doesn't mean I'm happy with it. It's just the idea that:

1) No real ethernet port
2) Limited WiFi capbility

It's just so dumb for a consumer electronics device to be so woefully under equipped in networking options in 2014. It's an infuriating disaster because Nintendo live in their own little world where they make extremely dumb decisions. They're completely hopeless at hardware, and general purpose software for that matter - it's the worst piece of consumer tech I use.

A Gigabit ethernet NIC is what? a few dollars at most.

Timeaisis

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I'd thought I'd share some results seeing as Smash comes out in a few months. I have the Nyko Ethernet adapter.

Wifi
12.4 down, 3.8 up
8ms ping

Wired
14.08 down, 4.0 up
8ms ping

So, slightly better, but not worth the money. The funny this is I get about 30 - 50 mbps on my pc over wifi.

This was using that bandwidthplace

EDarkness

It's crazy to see this thread bumped after so many months, but even sadder to think that the situation hasn't changed that much in all that time. I haven't had any problems downloading large files from the eShop, but I sometimes wonder if they increase the speed of the wireless adapter in those cases.

alf717

I had issues using wifi on Wii U even with the router one floor below me. My laptops, phone and tablet worked fine with where I placed the router. Might come down to placement or just finding the best router for Wii U WiFi but I just prefer wired connections.

SerodD

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I'd thought I'd share some results seeing as Smash comes out in a few months. I have the Nyko Ethernet adapter.

Wifi
12.4 down, 3.8 up
8ms ping

Wired
14.08 down, 4.0 up
8ms ping

So, slightly better, but not worth the money. The funny this is I get about 30 - 50 mbps on my pc over wifi.

This was using that bandwidthplace

I'm on a 100 mbps connection, I get 8mbps over wi-fi in my room, I have a bit less than half signal here and my router limits top wi-fi speed to 45 mbps ( ISP crappy routers), anyway using the ethernet adapter I get about 50-55 mbps on the Wii U, more than enough to play online Smash I hope.

Also it's good to note that I get about 75-80 mbps on my ps4 through the ethernet port, and about 2-3 mbps through wi-fi in the exact same spot.

It is absolutely worth the money for me.

Timeaisis

I'm on a 100 mbps connection, I get 8mbps over wi-fi in my room, I have a bit less than half signal here and my router limits top wi-fi speed to 45 mbps ( ISP crappy routers), anyway using the ethernet adapter I get about 50-55 mbps on the Wii U, more than enough to play online Smash I hope.

Also it's good to note that I get about 75-80 mbps on my ps4 through the ethernet port, and about 2-3 mbps through wi-fi in the exact same spot.

Wow, that's great. Two questions:
1) What ethernet adapter do you use? The official one or something else?
2) What site do you use to test your speed?

Saro

I would like to know what you are doing to get those speeds on lan aswell.

BigFwoosh

I've seen some people here say to only use the official adapter (which I can't find on the site anymore), and others say unofficial ones are fine. Is there a consensus on this?

Datschge

I had a cheap unofficial one, it worked fine. That is until it stopped working for no obvious reasons. Since then I'm rocking a cheap used official one. =D

I've seen some people here say to only use the official adapter (which I can't find on the site anymore), and others say unofficial ones are fine. Is there a consensus on this?
I got the top-rated one on Amazon for like 10 bucks, and it's unofficial. It's like an HDMI cable... as long as it's not made like shit anything will do. It's just a generic USB to ethernet adapter. It doesn't matter.

Edit: You might get better speed transference with some, but my guess is they're all fine for gaming. Mine is, anyways.

Top Bottom