• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The skies are blue today. Daytona USA coming to XBO via 360 BC.

Patrick S.

Banned
They both desperately need a home port though. Daytona 2 specifically is ridiculous now, seeing as they had the Daytona license for years.

I never liked Daytona 2. Back when it came out, I was a Daytona USA superfan who was incredibly hyped for a sequel, and when it came out and I played it, I immediately hated it and didn't do more than playing every track once, and that was that forever. I remember that at the arcade where I played it, they had Cruisin' USA, and that game was a thousand times more awesome in my eyes.

I can't distinguish it from the arcade, original or emulated on the Nebula emulator I may or not have played it on. And it has some extra modes.

From a visual point of view the differences are running at a higher resolution (obviously :p ), but also the arcade game doesn't use mipmapping of any kind, and the HD version uses them with a really low quality filter (trilinear maybe?)

Other than that It's perfect from what I can tell. It's a fantastic port.

Synth

When it is on sale?

Stop being cheap, and just buy it... holy shit... it's under £7!

I never liked Daytona 2. Back when it came out, I was a Daytona USA superfan who was incredibly hyped for a sequel, and when it came out and I played it, I immediately hated it and didn't do more than playing every track once, and that was that forever. I remember that at the arcade where I played it, they had Cruisin' USA, and that game was a thousand times more awesome in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Daytona USA 2 or Scud Race are anywhere near as good as the original Daytona (aka my favourite racing game ever, and top 5 game, period). I would rate both Outrun 2 and various Sega Rallys (including Revo) over both. However, I'd never argue that something like Streets of Rage 2 existing is a good reason to leave a lot of the classic beat-em-ups stuck languishing in the arcades either, effectively becoming unplayable except via emulation/piracy. It's not like we only need one game in each sub-genre that's considered the best of its kind.

I want:

Rave Racer
Scud Race
Daytona USA 2
Outrunners
Maximum Tune

etc ALL ported, because as it stands today, I can't play any of them anymore.

Izuna

Banned
Stop being cheap, and just buy it... holy shit... it's under £7!

It's either this game or a Large Classic Menu meal at McDonald's. Hmmm

waiting for paycheck

edit: hmm, weird... Just got home and Daytona is downloadable. Did I buy this?

etta

my hard graphic balls

waiting for paycheck

Synth must've sexually transmitted it to your account.

Izuna

Banned
Synth must've sexually transmitted it to your account.

It-Was-Funny-But-I-Dont-Like-You-So-Im-Not-Going-To-Laugh.gif

EDIT:

Synth play SF4 with me, this game requires like no skill bruh

also: www.twitch.tv/izuninja

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
My son was playing it today, he is 4.

He jumped up and shouted "That's Virtua Fighter! That's Virtua Fighter!" when he saw the statue of Jeffery.

So proud of him.

Izuna

Banned
My son was playing it today, he is 4.

He jumped up and shouted "That's Virtua Fighter! That's Virtua Fighter!" when he saw the statue of Jeffery.

So proud of him.

Whoa, I think I did the same thing when I was about 4 or 5. We had VF2 for a little while and I remember it was a Saturn with the weird oval buttons. All I knew about was Jeffery and Wolf.

I think the menus load faster compared to 360.

Great game to play when your burnt out from BOTW, lol.
also: https://youtu.be/ejxyt5zYdps

Sweet jesus this is too funny. I just picked up Daytona after finishing Zelda too.

My biggest flaw with this game is the online multiplayer seems to be dead. I've never successfully found a lobby so far. Anyone want to setup a NeoGAF multiplayer session later tonight or this week?

Synth

Sweet jesus this is too funny. I just picked up Daytona after finishing Zelda too.

My biggest flaw with this game is the online multiplayer seems to be dead. I've never successfully found a lobby so far. Anyone want to setup a NeoGAF multiplayer session later tonight or this week?

Unfortunately, the game has a really poor lobby system, that makes the game appear dead when it isn't... and then later becomes self-fulfilling as people give up searching.

Let's say there's 6 of us in a lobby playing. Whilst we're in a race, the lobby won't show up for you searching for a game. It'll only be visible when we're done racing and waiting in the lobby for the next race, which is a window of about a minute and can even be skipped over if the group wants to race again immediately. A lot of the Japanese companies created lobby systems last gen that weren't very well thought out, and killed games rapidly.

I posted an LFG for Sunday (8pm GMT) to the NeoGAF group, and duplicated in on XBL. In total, it's looking like there may be more of us than the maximum 8 that you can get into a lobby... but I'll cross that bridge when we get there (there will almost certainly be no shows anyhow).

AMzGdaX.png

I can play today, depending on what time you'd likely be on. Add me on XBL (Gustavo83), and feel free to shoot me an invite if you see me online. Alternatively, if you know in advance when you'd be playing later, it may be worth trying to create an LFG of your own.

AmyS

Stupid question.

People playing this on XBLA, the servers are not separate between Xbox 360 and Xbox One, correct? So It shouldn't matter what Xbox I'm playing on.

Synth

Stupid question.

People playing this on XBLA, the servers are not separate between Xbox 360 and Xbox One, correct? So It shouldn't matter what Xbox I'm playing on.

Same servers (as with all BC games). The games can't differentiate between an Xbox One and an Xbox 360 at all.

Unfortunately, the game has a really poor lobby system, that makes the game appear dead when it isn't... and then later becomes self-fulfilling as people give up searching.

Let's say there's 6 of us in a lobby playing. Whilst we're in a race, the lobby won't show up for you searching for a game. It'll only be visible when we're done racing and waiting in the lobby for the next race, which is a window of about a minute and can even be skipped over if the group wants to race again immediately. A lot of the Japanese companies created lobby systems last gen that weren't very well thought out, and killed games rapidly.

I posted an LFG for Sunday (8pm GMT) to the NeoGAF group, and duplicated in on XBL. In total, it's looking like there may be more of us than the maximum 8 that you can get into a lobby... but I'll cross that bridge when we get there (there will almost certainly be no shows anyhow).

AMzGdaX.png

I can play today, depending on what time you'd likely be on. Add me on XBL (Gustavo83), and feel free to shoot me an invite if you see me online. Alternatively, if you know in advance when you'd be playing later, it may be worth trying to create an LFG of your own.

Appreciate the setting up the server. I'll have to give it a miss I'm afraid, as my work schedule has me working on weekends. It would be nice to play this game with multiplayer again.

Synth

Appreciate the setting up the server. I'll have to give it a miss I'm afraid, as my work schedule has me working on weekends. It would be nice to play this game with multiplayer again.

Ah, no problem. My work schedule is pretty flexible, but I tend to arrange stuff for Sundays, because I'm usually reliably doing nothing else otherwise.

As I mentioned before though, if you have a time to play in mind, it's worth throwing an LFG out there. Worst case scenario is that nobody responds to it. But if I see it, and can make it, then I'd probably join.

If you just want to jump on and play. Then my advice would be to just create a game, and sit and wait for a few minutes, and you'll usually have a person or two join up shortly. The issue is mostly games being invisible once you start playing, but if you create one, then others will see it.

Patrick S.

Banned
What is the 'arcade' version you guys are talking about?
XBLA/PSN Daytona wasn't a port of the original game from 1993, but instead of SRC (SEGA Racing Classic), the 2009 remake of Daytona USA.

No it's not. It's a re-release of Daytona USA on other platforms. The game's title screen still says Daytona USA, and all the Daytona USA names and the famous song are in place. Improved resolution aside, it's Daytona USA.

Galdelico

No it's not. It's a re-release of Daytona USA on other platforms. The game's title screen still says Daytona USA, and all the Daytona USA names and the famous song are in place. Improved resolution aside, it's Daytona USA.
My bad then. I'm still pretty sure I read that in many articles about the game, when it came out - as in, Sega Racing Classic was a revamped version of the original Daytona USA, minus the name due to licensing issues - with the only differences between SRC and PS360 Daytona USA being the restored title and the screen resolution, upped from 720p to 1080p.

Vormund

My bad then. I'm still pretty sure I read that in many articles about the game, when it came out - as in, Sega Racing Classic was a revamped version of the original Daytona USA, minus the name due to licensing issues - with the only differences between SRC and PS360 Daytona USA being the restored title and the screen resolution, upped from 720p to 1080p.

Nah I think he's getting a little confused.

Daytona was remade as Sega Racing Classic for the Ringwide arcade board in 2010 (basically a PC) and this included upped resolution, widescreen, which the original didn't have.

Daytona USA home port is built upon the enhancements of SRC.

The PSN/XBLA is based on the Ringwide (SRC) version with the licensing restored, which was in 2011. It wasn't ported directly from the Model 2 version.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Nah I think he's getting a little confused.

Daytona was remade as Sega Racing Classic for the Ringwide arcade board in 2010 (basically a PC) and this included upped resolution, widescreen, which the original didn't have.

Daytona USA home port is built upon the enhancements of SRC.

The PSN/XBLA is based on the Ringwide (SRC) version with the licensing restored, which was in 2011. It wasn't ported directly from the Model 2 version.

This is 100% the correct answer.

waiting for paycheck

This happened to me, don't remember buying it at all. All achievements were locked...no way I'd have bought this and not played it.

Synth

This happened to me, don't remember buying it at all. All achievements were locked...no way I'd have bought this and not played it.

He bought it. He's just too ashamed to admit it after all the shit he'd been talking about it.

So you're back to having no good excuse for not having played it!

Izuna

Banned
He bought it. He's just too ashamed to admit it after all the shit he'd been talking about it.

So you're back to having no good excuse for not having played it!

I don't get it, why would I buy it?

edit: just searching my billing history, it ain't there!

Just bought the game (even though I might not get around to actually playing it) out of respect for the legacy, the quality of the port, and the quality of the b/c.

Top Bottom