• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - High-Res Screenshots

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
They need to stop fucking with Lara's face.

Not a fan of the current one, at any rate, though I admittedly liked the original 2013 (PC) one better than the remaster.

If Jonah has any more of a role than he did in TR2013....no bueno, especially after how far Lara got on her own in the first game.

LuuKyK

The 'supporting' characters in TR'13 were absolutely atrocious. This fish loving boater (hilariously named 'Jonah') is going to return in the new game.

I'm out.

The supporting cast was certainly the weak link of the game. It was the most obvious amalgamation of cliche characters ever. lol And they were pretty useless/souless. Should have been just Lara and two other characters (dont to spoil the game here so I will keep it at that).

Cross gen is clearly doing this game no favours, and for something that's meant to swing the general publics money away from Uncharted 4, sub par graphics are the last thing they or MS want.

Also, they really need to work out a good looking, fitting face for British aristocrat Lara Croft, and stick with it. All three so far have been just wrong, and frankly just needless deviations from the real Lara's face.

Ishan

am i just expecting too much because of the order overload or does this game look good but nothing special for a 2015 end release?

Cavalier

Banned
This isn't cross gen so peeps can stop making excuses, specially since the game looks great. I don't see other Xbox exclusives looking better.

CD is making the game without thinking about the 360, that's Nixes job.

The game is running on game engine that was designed for cross gen AND cross platform. They're just not going to spend more years designing the game from ground up just for Xbox One.

BouncyFrag

The 'supporting' characters in TR'13 were absolutely atrocious. This fish loving boater (hilariously named 'Jonah') is going to return in the new game.

I'm out.
I cried when that guy died to
prevent that wrench from falling into enemy hands so Laura could use it.

People really don't know what bad graphics are anymore. Those look good, not insanely amazing but more than damn serviceable.

Seriously, don't get this forum sometimes lol.

I'm pretty sure there are some posters asking whether it was the 360 version specifically.

Come on guys...this is not something 360 could do even at subnative while having a stable framerate.

There is definitely a step up here. Sure it might not be super big, but its there.

Naw. Looks like a PC port of a 360 game. It looks slightly better than 360 level but not next-gen.

FLAguy954

xDEnniY.jpg

Holy shit PC version confirmed.

Fuck man, this game looks good as hell.

Angel_DvA

Screens are ok, Lara looks different too, something with her lips/nose ... I don't know.

Hope we'll have the chance to see a gameplay video before E3..

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looks good, shame it ain't coming out this year so
SRSW5.gif

Ishan

Screens are ok, Lara looks different too, something with her lips/nose ... I don't know.

Hope we'll have the chance to see a gameplay video before E3..

doubt it . this is their big release to go up against uc4 . this and halo5 are going to be headlining the gameplay parts of e3 for ms. (And probably a gears trailer etc but they'll def save this gameplay for e3) ... you might end up with quantum break gameplay before that tho.

. Should have been just Lara and two other characters.

I disagree. There should have been NO supporting characters. This was supposed to be some survival story. Instead, the whole game just screamed 'mah femanism' and resulted in nothing more than an above average typical, general, run of the mill third person shooter with absolutely nothing original to offer with some of the worst writing and characters in recent memory. It was so forgettable.

Boke1879

People really don't know what bad graphics are anymore. Those look good, not insanely amazing but more than damn serviceable.

Seriously, don't get this forum sometimes lol.

It's obvious is a Cross gen title. It's coming out Holiday 2015 and against blockbusters no doubt.

If this is what we can expect in the looks department UC4 will mop the floor with it in that department a long with any other game releasing in that period. They were honestly better off making this game a Next Gen exclusive.

The game is running on game engine that was designed for cross gen AND cross platform. They're just not going to spend more years designing the game from ground up just for Xbox One.

Oh so now engines have to have been built up from the ground up for next gen. So there's only like 2 or 3 games out there that are truly "next gen". If that. (U4 won't be next gen!)

"Game engine designed for cross gen". What does this mean anyway? And because the engine is cross gen (and cross platfom, Ps4 and PC holding the Xbone down wut?) they won't design the game from the ground up for the xbox? What?

What you are saying is complete gibberish. This looks top tier on Xbox One, the whole cross gen excuse is just that.

LuuKyK

I disagree. There should have been NO supporting characters. This was supposed to be some survival story. Instead, the whole game just screamed 'mah femanism' and resulted in nothing more than an above average typical, general, run of the mill third person shooter with absolutely nothing original to offer with some of the worst writing and characters in recent memory. It was so forgettable.

It definitely would be better if they focused solely on her, but if they wanted to keep the same plot they really needed supporting characters to keep the game going, I mean, the main reasons Lara kept going herself was because of other characters and their struggles. The whole storyline seemed to be based more on other people than her, which is a shame.

Elios83

I have no doubt that the game will look great considering how good TRDE looked, but the snowy setting they're showing right now is neither original nor exciting, actually it looks pretty boring.
Hopefully there is more variety and cities are back in some form.

Naminator

Banned
It's a cross-gen game that got a last minute(figuratively speaking) exclusivity deal with Microsoft.

I don't know why people expected this to look like a game designed exclusively for next-gen.

So no, it does not look on par with UC4 or The Order, hell it doesn't even look on par with Ryse, but those comparisons are pointless anyway, unless people are interested in some good'ol fashion fanboy shit slinging.

Kezen

Banned
It's cross gen - hence why the graphics is bad.
According to CD the game is not held back by the existence of a 360 sku hence my disappointment. So far the game very clearly shows its cross-gen roots and that sucks.

Inb4 game looks bad implying Xbone power disadvantages casually mentioning the Order talking about PS4
I don't think this is a Xbox One horsepower issue. No doubt the console is capable of better than this. I guess open world + cross-gen is not an ideal combination. It does not look "next-gen" at all to me. Just look at the characters themselves who seem poly starved with poor shading.

Yup, the comparisons and fanboy wars between this and Uncharted 4 won't be pretty or even amusing :/
I do wonder if the PS4 version next year will bother updating the visuals at all, since I don't really see them keeping it cross gen for the PlayStation release.
If there is a 360 version a PS3 version could also be on the cards. I'm certainly hopeful for a visual upgrade on PC/PS4.

As it stands it's not even in the same league as Uncharted 4.

It definitely would be better if they focused solely on her, but if they wanted to keep the same plot they really needed supporting characters to keep the game going, I mean, the main reasons Lara kept going herself was because of other characters and their struggles. The whole storyline seems to be based more on other people than her, which is a shame.

True, but that's my point. The story should have just been about Lara. Not Lara and her quest to rescue her possible-but-not-ever-confirmed love interest, Sam. My GOD this game was weak. Just thinking about it irritates me.

I really don't wish to compare the original few games with this one, but the original game had no supporting characters, no nothing. It was just you, the sound of your footsteps, and a shit ton of tombs to, ya know, raid. Something that TR'13 inexplicably ignored, or relegated to stupid 'optional tombs' which served absolutely no purpose other than to get salvage points to pour into some arbitrary upgrade systems to improve your already capable gear in making an already easy game to something laughably effortless.

HUELEN10

I bet you cringed typing that sentence. I do reading it.
What are you talking about? And why are you cringing?

I think that Tomb Raider Defintive is excellent, and I am glad it was the first game I bought for my One. :) this game should be just as awesome.

Looks kinda rough, but will always love a good TR game. I hope this one is more about exploration and platforming than the Uncharted set-piece style.

Looks kinda rough, but will always love a good TR game. I hope this one is more about exploration and platforming than the Uncharted set-piece style.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but why WOULD it be different to the last game? It sold a bunch of copies and favored well with the mainstream audience and critics. In this day and age with the ever rising cost of development, they're not going to take any risks and will attempt to appeal to the widest politically correct demographic. They won't stray from a formula that has clearly worked for them, AKA - 'The Uncharted clone'

Chamber

love on your sleeve
CD saying this game isn't developed with last gen in mind is pure marketing speak. If you think they aren't sharing assets with Nixxes, I don't know what to say.

Top Bottom