• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 in the wild - first gameplay videos

raYne

:lol @ the ad for a movie called "Popping".

"A coming of age story, where instead of settling things like a real man, you decide to dance it out."

..or something like that. I hate those movies. :lol

dedhead54

raYne said:
:lol @ the ad for a movie called "Popping".

"A coming of age story, where instead of settling things like a real man, you decide to dance it out."

..or something like that. I hate those movies. :lol

Hahaha. That's fucking GREAT. :D

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Mutagenic said:
I agree. I think the niko cam is dark by default though, so you're not able to see all the detail that you could on jimmy's bright cam.

game does still look great but I guess just gonna have to wait and play it to judge. after watching these feeds I really wish I didn't cause I would probably be really blown away when I first pick it up. I can't wait to play online.

Milpool

dogmaan said:
play.com reports my copy as posted yesterday in the UK

anyone reckon it will arrive tomorrow?

god I hope so :(

You'll be extremely lucky if it arrives tomorrow, not once have I received anything from Play the day after shipping, probably because they send from Jersey(I think).

raYne

dedhead54 said:
Did you see the Viper's (Banshee) side exhaust pop and fire at high RPM in the first vid? That's a nice touch.

:lol@ the warm coffee talk:

"Oh, more! Tell me more! Tell me interesting things! Oh, Niko!"
"That girl's a good listener"

dedhead54

This time around the cars REALLY resemble their real-life counterparts. Like that Banshee looks VERY similar to a Viper. There's two versions of Range Rover's in the game (Regular and Sport, with bigger rims and some body work), a truck that looks almost just like an F150, a BMW X5 clone, etc.

It's awesome to see.

raYne

dedhead54 said:
This time around the cars REALLY resemble their real-life counterparts. Like that Banshee looks VERY similar to a Viper. There's two versions of Range Rover's in the game (Regular and Sport, with bigger rims and some body work), a truck that looks almost just like an F150, a BMW X5 clone, etc.

It's awesome to see.
It's especially great for me, since I could never remember the names of the in-game vehicles. But even then, if I said, "the Testarossa", people knew what I was talking about. So it's even better now. :D

Plus, being closer to the real life counterparts is better to see than seeing some bizzaro version in general.

itxaka

Defeatist
Well, I finally got it today in the morning (euroland) thanks to a shop that broke the street date (they stopped selling them after a while, it appear that they got a call) and well my previous points almost stand.

Car handling is clunky and slow THE FIRST 15 MINUTES! it is much more real, and when you got the hung on it, it´s really cool. I played it about 6/8 hours

The story is much better narrated. Characters and their expressions are really really good, making the history more interesting.

There are some technical issues here and there, normally when you are driving fast and you crash there is some pop up here and there, and it´s easily noticeable but really, who cares, the city is awesomely big.

There are some people on the streets marked with a blue icon when you are near that are a kind of side missions.

The phone thing is awesome, really well done and easy.

You can meet people on the pseudo web. It´s pretty funny and one mission involves it.

You can answer emails sent to you (from your cousin, your mother) with a positive or negative response. What does it affects I have no idea.

There are a few shops around, I jsut opened 2. One russian-cheap and one of suits. NB on the suit looks really funny. also the system is really easy and fast.

The friends system works well sometimes. If you have a nice friendship you got rewards (you can call your cousin and get free taxis, you can go to an helicopter ride with another guy) but sometimes is confusing. I got a call for a mission in which I had to go quick to the point (this was off mission) and while I was driving there I got a call from a friend to go to the strippers club so I had to decline it and giving bad points to my friendship with him :/

Cops are fuckers. Just could get 4 starts one time because I was inside a building shooting cops as they entered, but as soon as the swat appeared they busted my ass.

If you crush going really wuick you can go out the car from the front glass. It´s pretty awesome.

Euphoria is great, really great.

It appears that it doesn´t install anything. There is a slideshow everytime you boot the game, but it´s too small to be installing anything. It looks like the old loading screen on the other gta´s but without the status bar.

Also, Assassin´s creed got dethroned:

2vnnd6u.jpg

4i09ih.jpg

2mhegc5.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are the textures gone on the buildings when you're high up in the air?

itxaka

Defeatist
dk_ said:
@ itxaka

Where do you come from?

Which version?

Spain :) 360 with HDD so if there was install I should have noted it, if its not like the oblivion ps3 stealth install

Are the textures gone on the buildings when you're high up in the air?

Yeah, but not all. It´s like assassins, when you are high enough and you go down the textures get better, but with the blur it´s barely noticeable. the trees are the only ones that you can notice and sometimes the cars.

I'm assuming he has the 360 version considering there's no installation.

umm, does the ps3 have installation? I´ll have to wait a some days for my copy from videgamesplus to arrive but I thought the 360 had a optional install if you have an hdd. when I saw that it didn´t I assume they both didn´t.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
itxaka said:
Yeah, but not all. It´s like assassins, when you are high enough and you go down the textures get better, but with the blur it´s barely noticeable. the trees are the only ones that you can notice and sometimes the cards.
Sounds good!

dedhead54

Dude, THANK YOU for those helicopter shots. They really give a sense of how awesome the city is, with all the boroughs and the bridges connecting them. I have a feeling I am not even fully prepared to experience the depth and detail of Liberty City.

itxaka

Defeatist
dk_ said:
Have you noticed pop-ups and framerate issues?

yeah, pop ups are frequent if you go really fast on the cars and crash onto something, but they are not cars, people or buildings. They are normally stairs (the ones attached at the buildings), windows textures and small things like that. The trees are the worst in my opinion but there are meaningless to the game IMO, it´s so full of everything that you gotta pay the price.

No framerate issues. Not one. And I been chased by 3/4 police cars + helicopter + rain + the other cars + pedestrians so it looks like you will have to really put 2 or 3 explosions and swat and 20 cars for it to get a framerate drop. It really is very stable.

Thanks...but, SHIT! what is classic? like square is shoot or something?

I have no idea, there is so many controls in there that is really difficult to get them all. Driving controls, driving with the phone activated, walking, walking with arms, etc...

If you jump out of an helicopter do you fall to your death or there's a parachute?

I didn´t try, it was my first helicopter ride ;)
I´ll try next one :p

dedhead54

Hey itxaka, next time you're in a helicopter think you could go to the other side of Algonquin (The Alderney side) so I can see that side of Algonquin?? I cannot get enough aerial shots of Liberty City. :)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Anyone still streaming?

Or any good videos to watch?

I am literally getting depressed waiting for this game to come out. :lol

At least I'll get to play some MGO and Bad Company when I get home...

dedhead54

PSYGN said:
I hope they add more automobiles (even a plane!) via DLC.

Perhaps even more weapons or minigames. :D

Adding new cars would kick ass!! Like when you downloaded the DLC you'd start seeing/hearing ads on TV and on the radio for new cars, and perhaps see them at dealerships (I'm assuming there's at least 1 car dealership in Liberty City...)

itxaka

Defeatist
dedhead54 said:
Hey itxaka, next time you're in a helicopter think you could go to the other side of Algonquin (The Alderney side) so I can see that side of Algonquin?? I cannot get enough aerial shots of Liberty City. :)

There you go. There are really bad photos as it appears there is something on that part that triggers the police (island blocked until further in the story?) and I got all the fucking police in my tail including 2 helicopters.

but thanks to that I unlocked the achievement of having 6 starts :D

This was the moment + Cinematic camera. You can see the starts on the upper rigth part ;)

154inw4.jpg

The rest:
2dvv61v.jpg

102uxk3.jpg

eq71j9.jpg

k0ol8n.jpg

The 2 helicopters coming.
11lhdhc.jpg

2qd4kn7.jpg

2qjhyzs.jpg

14xo686.jpg

25gruv6.jpg

those fuckers sure are hard
2z3ue4n.jpg

Cinematic camera again (fucking flash)
14e28tc.jpg

oh, also no parachute and no way of going out of the copter. As is an activity with a friend it takes you out of the activity. Maybe getting an helicopter by yourself it could be done I don´t know. Also, I can get helicopter rides everytime I want know :)

dedhead54

Awesome, THANK YOU!! How close to Alderney did you get before triggering the 6 stars? Was it once you started to go over the river (Whatever the Hudson equivalent in the game is)?

Once again thanks. The sheer magnitude of Liberty City is incredible, especially when seen from the aerial shots.

itxaka

Defeatist
dedhead54 said:
Awesome, THANK YOU!! How close to Alderney did you get before triggering the 6 stars? Was it once you started to go over the river (Whatever the Hudson equivalent in the game is)?

Once again thanks. The sheer magnitude of Liberty City is incredible, especially when seen from the aerial shots.

it was once I crossed the river they went mad :)

MercuryLS

Banned
Tried the game today, some points:

1) Driving is surprisingly good, takes some getting used to. Just don't try to drive like you did in prior GTA's.

2) You can turn auto-aiming on or off, I like it better off personally.

MercuryLS said:
Tried the game today, some points:

1) Driving is surprisingly good, takes some getting used to. Just don't try to drive like you did in prior GTA's.

2) You can turn auto-aiming on or off, I like it better off personally.

THAAANK YOU!!!!!

:D :D :D

Top Bottom