• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

Eric WK

Kibbles said:
Unlimited grenade launchers. :lol Run out? Switch class. Rinse and repeat.

They can't be dumb enough to allow that, but I haven't seen confirmation either way.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Death streaks are only active for the first 10 seconds of a life.

That's not true at all. Painkiller gives you 3x health for the first 10 seconds of your next life after the Death Streak is activated. Other than that, there are no time restrictions of that sort.

Eric WK said:
That's not true at all. Painkiller gives you 3x health for the first 10 seconds of your next life after the Death Streak is activated. Other than that, there are no time restrictions of that sort.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Eric WK

sweetvar26 said:
So guys, any word on what we get when we prestige? Hopefully, they have something good.

Someone has already prestiged once. There are emblems, titles and new challenges. Other than that, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And yes, in interviews Infinity Ward has said that there are rewards. Whether they meant the things I mentioned above or more, again, we'll see.

I'm level 39 on the 9th level prestige. I'm going to be pissed if I ramp all the way to gold cross 55 for nothing.

Oh well. COD4 is awesome enough to be worth it.

minx

So I guess with scavenger you can constantly keep on picking up claymores. Not sure if the enemies had them as well, but the guy on the stream got 3 claymore kills in a row :lol

Eric WK

minx88 said:
So I guess with scavenger you can constantly keep on picking up claymores. Not sure if the enemies had them as well, but the guy on the stream got 3 claymore kills in a row :lol

Post/Av

Attention! I have confirmation from a rather significant Australian retailer that the game will be available this Thursday in their store (at least, until they get word that they shouldn't have sold it). I'm not going to post which it is here, but if any Aussies want to know just PM me.

IMO all the guns and perks matter very little. The name of COD competitive multiplayer is camp and wait for the enemy to come into your sights, then pull the trigger. Any old gun will do. Player stamina is far too low to appreciate any difference in the weaponry.

palpabl_purpura said:
IMO all the guns and perks matter very little. The name of COD competitive multiplayer is camp and wait for the enemy to come into your sights, then pull the trigger. Any old gun will do. Player stamina is far too low to appreciate any difference in the weaponry.

There's a lot more that distinguishes weapons besides the damage they deal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neverender said:
Attention! I have confirmation from a rather significant Australian retailer that the game will be available this Thursday in their store (at least, until they get word that they shouldn't have sold it). I'm not going to post which it is here, but if any Aussies want to know just PM me.
I can almost guarantee the box they receive their stock in will be plastered with giant "DO NOT SELL UNTIL [DATE]" stickers.

Neverender said:
There's a lot more that distinguishes weapons besides the damage they deal.

Range and rate of fire, but everyone in COD5 played with SMGs. I'll probably play for the co-op and single player, but not for the competitive. If I want to die in 1-2 hits, i'll go back to playing galga or ghouls and ghost.

palpabl_purpura said:
Range and rate of fire, but everyone in COD5 played with SMGs. I'll probably play for the co-op and single player, but not for the competitive. If I want to die in 1-2 hits, i'll go back to playing galga or ghouls and ghost.

WAW has a hardcore mode, where you die in 1 hit, a regular mode, where you die in 2 hits. What's the difference? Why not create a mode with decent stamina for real gamers who aren't camp whores?

Ello

palpabl_purpura said:
WAW has a hardcore mode, where you die in 1 hit, a regular mode, where you die in 2 hits. What's the difference? Why not create a mode with decent stamina for real gamers who aren't camp whores?

Because this is Call of Duty, if you want a game where it takes half your mag to kill someone then there are other FPS games for that.

kevm3

Deathstreaks? Why should someone be rewarded for dying over and over?

Maybe the game will just play out excellent, but some of the things I'm hearing don't sound all that great to me.

Ello said:
Because this is Call of Duty, if you want a game where it takes half your mag to kill someone then there are other FPS games for that.

All I'm saying, is just broaden the appeal of the game. There's a reason why games like galga, r-type, sol-feace, etc went out of style. Somehow, the younger generation is just rediscovering the 1980s in the form of COD.

palpabl_purpura said:
All I'm saying, is just broaden the appeal of the game. There's a reason why games like galga, r-type, sol-feace, etc went out of style. Somehow, the younger generation is just rediscovering the 1980s in the form of COD.

Huh?

Mad Max

palpabl_purpura said:

Yeah that's why halo 3 bombed so hard..

Oh wait, it didn't.

There is a pretty big market for both types of games, and it has nothing to do with the time we're living in.

Mad Max said:
Yeah that's why halo 3 bombed so hard..

Oh wait, it didn't.

There is a pretty big market for both types of games, and it has nothing to do with the time we're living in.

Actually, the stamina in games like Halo, Killzone (except the 1 hit headshots), R2 is quite acceptable. It's COD that is the only offender. IW and Treyarch have set gaming back 20 years. It's an ancient formula re-invented for the modern generation from the fps perspective, with a larger weapon palette, and fancier graphics.

palpabl_purpura said:

Not true at all. I had a 2+ kill to death ratio in COD4 and I never could camp. My friends say I have ADD when im gaming because I cant sit still for two seconds..

Ello

palpabl_purpura said:
Actually, the stamina in games like Halo, Killzone (except the 1 hit headshots), R2 is quite acceptable. It's COD that is the only offender. IW and Treyarch have set gaming back 20 years. It's an ancient formula re-invented for the modern generation from the fps perspective, with a larger weapon palette, and fancier graphics.

See, that's why I like the CoD games more, as much as they are acceptable I still prefer the CoD way. So I really hope CoD don't become like those games because we already have those games.

Raxus

BrassMonkey1010 said:
Not true at all. I had a 2+ kill to death ratio in COD4 and I never could camp. My friends say I have ADD when im gaming because I cant sit still for two seconds..
Me either. In Bloc I was constantly moving with UAV jammer to constantly flank my opponents. CoD gives you plenty of resources to counter campers. Firing through walls, radar, stun grenades, frag grenades, C4, Killcam(non-hardcore).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
palpabl_purpura said:

Seems to me the root of the problem is you don't like having little health. It's not an old game design, it's a design direction. Of the online PC gaming of CoD4 I've played myself, along with 99% of everyone else, keeps moving. Camping is more common when somebody is sniping, or you're in a map with way too many players and people are spawn killing.

Otherwise people keep on the move and it comes down to who can shoot first and with greater accuracy. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

palpabl_purpura said:

I'm confused. I'm only 19, but I played some old school games and they feel nothing like COD. COD is a semi realistic war game, that is why people die in 2-4 bullets. It is like a GRAW, or Battlefield game. In Halo & Killzone you are in a protective robo suit that lets you soak up bullets.

Mad Max

palpabl_purpura said:

There have been (and are) tons of games where you die after taking a couple of hits, like in cod. Cod didn't invent this and is actually pretty arcade compared to true realistic shooters, a genre that has existed for like 15 years. Also, arcade FPS's are actually much older. For example the first popular FPS (wolfenstein 3d) was as arcade as it gets, and there have been tons of other arcade fps's throughout the years.

Raxus said:
Me either. In Bloc I was constantly moving with UAV jammer to constantly flank my opponents. CoD gives you plenty of resources to counter campers. Firing through walls, radar, stun grenades, frag grenades, C4, Killcam(non-hardcore).

This is a great thing about COD, you can play many different ways. Like I already said, I am a rusher who tries rushing behind enemy's line, lighting them up with out ever being seen. My uncle(who plays xbox) is the total opposite. He moves around slowly, sets up claymore traps and tries to watch specific points, because he knows his aim inst that great. It works for him and he has a 1.7 kill to death ratio.

ArjanN

BrassMonkey1010 said:
I'm confused. I'm only 19, but I played some old school games and they feel nothing like COD. COD is a semi realistic war game, that is why people die in 2-4 bullets. It is like a GRAW, or Battlefield game. In Halo & Killzone you are in a protective robo suit that lets you soak up bullets.

This. COD is more like a PC FPS (think CounterStrike), whereas console games like Halo let you take way more damage so bad players can still run around like chickens with their heads cut off and not get too frustrated.

nib95

Banned
Does anyone have a re-hosted link to the Airport Leaked gameplay footage? Discussing boundaries pushed within games and this kept up. Now he's keen to get a glimpse.

Mileena

Banned
ArjanN said:
This. COD is more like a PC FPS (think CounterStrike), whereas console games like Halo let you take way more damage so bad players can still run around like chickens with their heads cut off and not get too frustrated.
It's more like Source but yea.

ACE 1991

cameltoe said:
ill ask again

Do we know if aim assist can be disabled in MP like W@W?

That's a good question. I doubt it, though. Infinity Ward is trying to make MW2 as accessible as possible.

On another note, does Amazon gurantee release day delivery, or is that more expensive than standard shipping?

palpabl_purpura said:

That's amusing, because I could have sworn Lone Wolf in Halo 3 played EXACTLY like that or any other competitive online shooter.

Top Bottom