• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Gameplay Footage. Spoilers within, click accordingly.

J-Rzez

ergo said:
mmm full metal jackets fuckkkk people upppp!

On the contrary. They're actually less effective than other rounds that are made for anti-personnel use. Wound damage is less as it would zip through and if it didn't hit anything vital, then it may not incapacitate the target. Where as say something more antipersonnel, like hollows, they'd expand, increase their surface area thus hitting harder/great entry holes, while also deflecting in various cavities (along with great expanded surface) create greater wound channels. Even the more frangible of rounds are better, breaking into pieces causing more internal damage.

FMJ's at a distance, some caliber/makes can cause a spinwheel effect, with yaw varying, thus hit and "potentially" rotate, but this is only after enough velocity is lost, and for example, a 5.56 has substantial velocity, thus takes a somewhat greater distance to achieve this. Some "specialty" FMJs have a flimsy jacket, thus allowing the bullet to "possibly" break up in cavities causing more damage. Problem with each is that they don't achieve this effect until velocities are dropping.

Though I doubt this game would accurately represent this, if it does, hats off. It'll probably be standard affair of stopping power as regular bullets, just with the added penetration through hard surfaces, and possibly having an added ricochet effect.

Spinning Plates said:
You heard anything about them doing a good offer ala Fifa 10?

I'm hoping something similar will happen, but with the priced raised, I can't see it lower then 40 quid, but It will be one of the cheapest places to buy it I'm sure!

cresto

J-Rzez said:
On the contrary. They're actually less effective than other rounds that are made for anti-personnel use. Wound damage is less as it would zip through and if it didn't hit anything vital, then it may not incapacitate the target. Where as say something more antipersonnel, like hollows, they'd expand, increase their surface area thus hitting harder/great entry holes, while also deflecting in various cavities (along with great expanded surface) create greater wound channels. Even the more frangible of rounds are better, breaking into pieces causing more internal damage.

FMJ's at a distance, some caliber/makes can cause a spinwheel effect, with yaw varying, thus hit and "potentially" rotate, but this is only after enough velocity is lost, and for example, a 5.56 has substantial velocity, thus takes a somewhat greater distance to achieve this.

Though I doubt this game would accurately represent this, if it does, hats off. It'll probably be standard affair of stopping power as regular bullets, just with the added penetration through hard surfaces, and possibly having an added ricochet effect.
lol I was confusing my bullets. My bah
HollowPoint leave big holes no?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Accident said:
Full Metal Jacket, it replaces Deep Impact
How is that an attachment? I was under the impression that FMJ was the standard ammunition in the real deal. Kinda dumb.

Then again... Call of Duty. So whatever.

J-Rzez

ergo said:
lol I was confusing my bullets. My bah

With so many different types of ammo, it's easy to do so. I have to check myself still with it. FMJs are generally used at ranges, or anti-vehicle applications though. This was actually one of the issues soldiers reported in the "Black Hawk Down" incident. Some didn't have proper ammo, and when dealing with the doped up baddies, they'd just blaze right through people, not doing enough significant or quick enough damage to incapacity the threats.

HollowPoint leave big holes no?

Correct. Plus create greater wound channels.

BobsRevenge said:
How is that an attachment? I was under the impression that FMJ was the standard ammunition in the real deal. Kinda dumb.

Then again... Call of Duty. So whatever.

Well, in theory it's more fitting that way than just some passive perk. Since it would be a solid addition to the gun. Not all forces use FMJ for said purposes above, but unfortunately, a bit of the "grunts" still get that issued. Kinda odd considering LEO's get the better anti-personnel ammo. But, FMJ's serve their purposes. I can see why some military personnel "may" want this more if they're going to come across solid objects/vehicles.

IMHO, Stopping power should be an attachment as well (if it isn't), as that would be hollow-point type ammunition.

snack

Weenerz said:
That sentry gun, holy fuck does it look like it will be brutal in tight spaces and corners. I blame Team Fortress 2 for giving IW that idea :lol

Yeah man! When I saw it I was like WTF. It looks like something that's going to be overused/abused.

CrayzeeCarl said:
It's not blood, it's strawberry jelly.

I'm only speculating, but the blood is probably somewhat transparent for gameplay reasons. It is was solid red and you couldn't see shit then imagine the complaints.

G_Berry

Banned
I love how the first people to play this are the pirates and hackers.

I have to pay $120 Australian and don't get it for another week and even when I do get it, All the assholes that pirated it will be so good that I will just get owned. Owned on their shitty hacked host that will probably be in America.

Sigh, I can't wait to use "bling" and equip my "weed" call sign and run around calling everyone F.A.G.S

(Why am I buying this game again?)

Dabanton

midwestern_stylings said:
I'm hoping something similar will happen, but with the priced raised, I can't see it lower then 40 quid, but It will be one of the cheapest places to buy it I'm sure!

Yeah i'm hoping ASDA come through with a good deal on the game.

Eric WK said:
I can see a lot of people switching from Stopping Power to Cold Blooded because of sentries.

Switching as in using One Man Army?

I am thinking of using OMA so I can switch from Stopping Power/Steady Aim to Cold Blooded/Ninja depending on the situation. I would stick with the 1st but switch to avoid the AC-130 or when I want to sneak up to an area full of the enemy.

Minamu

I bet the pirates will be banned on the release day. That would be SO funny :lol The rush to buy new consoles would be immense!

Weenerz

Banned
G_Berry said:

I have to pay $120 Australian and don't get it for another week and even when I do get it, All the assholes that pirated it will be so good that I will just get owned. Owned on their shitty hacked host that will probably be in America.

Sigh, I can't wait to use "bling" and equip my "weed" call sign and run around calling everyone F.A.G.S

Oh please, pirates get every game early, and it's suddenly a big deal for you now? IW already stated they are resetting the ranks, so the "pirates and hackers" will only have the advantage of knowing the maps. Activision/IW already pulled the FAGS video because people are whiners who can't a joke. If you hate the game and the companies releasing the game so much, on top of hating your outrageous price because of the continent you live in, just cancel your preorder. This is a thread about videos from the game, now a rant about the game to mesh with the cool crowd. Get a fucking blog or something.

Okay back on topic, will the perk that hides you from UAV work for heart-beat seeking attachments and the sentry gun? Kind of useful if so.

G_Berry said:

I have no idea. Cancel your pre-order and shut the fuck up with your whining if it bothers you so bad.

Griffith

Banned
Weenerz said:
Okay back on topic, will the perk that hides you from UAV work for heart-beat seeking attachments and the sentry gun? Kind of useful if so.
Cold blooded blocks you from the UAV, sentry guns, air support and thermal. Ninja blocks you from the heartbeat sensor.

Hyunkel6

How does the heartbeat sensor work exactly? Will you know in which direction is the enemy, or merely that someone is "around you"?

snack

Hyunkel6 said:
How does the heartbeat sensor work exactly? Will you know in which direction is the enemy, or merely that someone is "around you"?

The attachment allows the user to track multiple targets, somewhat like UAV and very similarly to the motion tracker in Halo 3. It displays the positions of people who are fairly close to and in front of the player. The display screen can be folded out from the side of the weapon. Its first known use is in the level Cliffhanger, where Roach finds himself in near white-out conditions. The sensor uses some kind of IFF system to tell the difference between friendlies and enemies. Friendlies are blue dots and enemies are white. In multiplayer, enemies appear as red dots instead of white.

The new version of UAV jammer, Cold-Blooded, cannot block the sensor; only the perk Ninja can. This attachment is compatible with assault rifles, light machine guns, shotguns, and sniper rifles.

Hyunkel6

h4k said:
The attachment allows the user to track multiple targets, somewhat like UAV and very similarly to the motion tracker in Halo 3. It displays the positions of people who are fairly close to and in front of the player. The display screen can be folded out from the side of the weapon. Its first known use is in the level Cliffhanger, where Roach finds himself in near white-out conditions. The sensor uses some kind of IFF system to tell the difference between friendlies and enemies. Friendlies are blue dots and enemies are white. In multiplayer, enemies appear as red dots instead of white.

The new version of UAV jammer, Cold-Blooded, cannot block the sensor; only the perk Ninja can. This attachment is compatible with assault rifles, light machine guns, shotguns, and sniper rifles.

I thought it was a perk allowing you to literally hear an enemy's heartbeat when you were within a certain distance of him :lol . Thanks for the clarification. Great description BTW.

snack

Hyunkel6 said:
I thought it was a perk allowing you to literally hear an enemy's heartbeat when you were within a certain distance of him :lol . Thanks for the clarification. Great description BTW.

lol, I didn't write it. I found it on wiki. :D

To those that were a bit dissapointed about the lack of any COD4 maps making a return in MW2... no need to be.

Crash, Strike, Backlot, Crossfire etc look like they don't have shit on 80% of the maps in MW2.

Kibbles

Holy shit I'm famous. We got these Target gift shopping book in the mail today and the box art they are using for CoD: MW2 is the photoshopped one I made based off of 402's unboxing video way back when. Since then, it's changed a little bit (the Call of Duty and Modern Warfare 2 logo are white now). :lol Comparison pics inbound.

[edit] Aww, nevermind. Looks like Activision may have sent out that old box art before, I noticed that my version has "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" under the "M" logo while this does not.

ZeroRay

Estate looks like it will be an awesome map which has a lot of indoor and outdoor space plus an amazing lake view.

Kibbles said:
Holy shit I'm famous. We got these Target gift shopping book in the mail today and the box art they are using for CoD: MW2 is the photoshopped one I made based off of 402's unboxing video way back when. Since then, it's changed a little bit (the Call of Duty and Modern Warfare 2 logo are white now). :lol Comparison pics inbound.

:lol

dagZ

the one map with the plane in the middle, on S & D you have to plant the bomb in the plane, I don't see that going over well with many people. lets see how that plays out.:lol

this game is gonna abe as awesome as this
veronica_bouncy.gif

Merguson

Banned
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
this game is gonna abe as awesome as this
veronica_bouncy.gif

Ah, but what secrets lie within?

I mean.. for all we know.. Modern Warfare 2 could be a rotten candy apple.

You like the sugar surface until you get to the rotten apple. Not so good is it?

Eric WK

Merguson said:
Ah, but what secrets lie within?

I mean.. for all we know.. Modern Warfare 2 could be a rotten candy apple.

You like the sugar surface until you get to the rotten apple. Not so good is it?

Nah, I bet her nipples are pert near perfect.

J-Rzez said:

FMJ's at a distance, some caliber/makes can cause a spinwheel effect, with yaw varying, thus hit and "potentially" rotate, but this is only after enough velocity is lost, and for example, a 5.56 has substantial velocity, thus takes a somewhat greater distance to achieve this. Some "specialty" FMJs have a flimsy jacket, thus allowing the bullet to "possibly" break up in cavities causing more damage. Problem with each is that they don't achieve this effect until velocities are dropping.

Reminds me of reading Black Hawk Down...US soldiers said they would shoot (and hit) some Somalis once or twice and they'd just keep running, or fall and get back up and keep fighting.

Phreak47

I'm not spoiling anything for myself. The only video I watched was the "controversial" one, and not even all of it. I sort of skipped over playing the first MW online much, so I think I'll dive into this one more.

J-Rzez

Mr. Snrub said:
Reminds me of reading Black Hawk Down...US soldiers said they would shoot (and hit) some Somalis once or twice and they'd just keep running, or fall and get back up and keep fighting.

me said:
This was actually one of the issues soldiers reported in the "Black Hawk Down" incident. Some didn't have proper ammo, and when dealing with the doped up baddies, they'd just blaze right through people, not doing enough significant or quick enough damage to incapacity the threats

Heh. Yep. Such an incredible story. I was reading through the "actually" soldier stories and many actually said this same thing. They were just ill-prepared for the situation, expecting it to go quickly without a hitch. The one guy said he literally saw blood shoot out of someone 11 times and they didn't drop (them being doped up didn't help). Sure, shot placement is key, but ammo-types can play a huge factor. IIRC, Delta operators were properly equipped and thus more effective. Many of the Rangers unfortunately were not geared properly for the situation. :(

Just do a search, and grab some more literary works on that incident, it's incredible to imagine while reading them. I read about 17 different stories/accounts on it, crazy stuff. So much respect for our troops.

Eric WK

ergo said:
Can someone explain to me how the One Man Army perk works? I don't understand the description.

You can switch your class at any time. You don't have to wait until you die and respawn.

Top Bottom