• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlocking Destiny Early (Xbox One)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I've changed the locale and language, and had the game at 0%, while fully preloaded. So I select install, and now it's stuck there. Other games install just fine. The only thing I can do is cancel (pausing doesn't work either), but I don't want to redownload the entire game. :( According to the usage of my hard drive, the entire game is still installed btw.

I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

This has happened to me now. The Guardian DLC all says Pre-purchased but the game now says Queued (0 GB) I hope it's still installed and just showing 0 GB in error. :(

This has happened to me now. The Guardian DLC all says Pre-purchased but the game now says Queued (0 GB) I hope it's still installed and just showing 0 GB in error. :(

Cancel/Delete your US marketplace installation after purchasing it before attempting to download the NZ marketplace one. You still have 2 hours to re-download it before it goes live in NZ anyway.

I don't know if this is entirely necessary, but even if it isn't it should solve any problems people are having with the 0GB error.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Cancel/Delete your US marketplace installation after purchasing it before attempting to download the NZ marketplace one. You still have 2 hours to re-download it before it goes live in NZ anyway.

I don't know if this is entirely necessary, but even if it isn't it should solve any problems people are having with the 0GB error.

But that means I need to re-download the whole 18 GB no? If so I'll just wait until it releases in New Zealand in case it somehow works. Only have a 6mb connection at the moment so downloading 18GB will take a good 8 hours.

Fotos

I pressed start on the game and pressed "resume installation" and it goes back to the correct number. 0GB to 18GB

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I pressed start on the game and pressed "resume installation" and it goes back to the correct number. 0GB-18GB

Sadly it doesn't say that for me now. It's changed to say Install Now. I don't know why its deleted from the HDD.

Edit: I'm hoping its the Manage Games section has screwed up in showing the game being downloaded. When I go to the store page instead of showing Install it says Queued along with the DLC.

Daemul

I'm in the UK, and I usually(always) buy my digital games and DLC from the US store, then, for games with MP components, I change my region back to UK when the game comes out in my country. With SP games you can just change back to your region immediately after purchase. I have always been able to play the game on the Tuesday, instead of on the Friday like my fellow Euro brothers.

I see no reason why Destiny would be any different in this regard. Chagnging your locale to NZ should give you access to the game.

Fotos

I'm in the UK, and I usually(always) buy my digital games and DLC from the US store, then I change my region back to UK. I have always been able to play the game on the Tuesday, instead of on the Friday like my fellow Euro brothers.

I see no reason why Destiny would be any different.
Do you change your location back immediately or do you wait for the game to release where you are. And do you need to reinstall in when you switch locations?

Oscar

Could you actually get banned just for switching locations?

Highly doubt any bans would take place unless I was exploiting some sort of price glitch.

I live in the US and paid the US price for my copy.

Under 2 hours now, will definitely update. It sucks that the XB1 doesn't have a legit screenshot feature, I'll have to take a pic with my iphone.

Daemul

Do you change your location back immediately or do you wait for the game to release where you are. And do you need to reinstall in when you switch locations?

Sorry I accidentally posted my message before I had finished writing it.

SP only game= Switch back to region immediately
MP only game/SP game with multiplayer components=Stay in US region until game comes out in UK

And no, I never need to reinstall. Once you buy the game off the Xbox store, you own the license.

Heard it before. I can't remember exactly but someone found out a price glitch cause a free game in one region (Eastern EU), and banned people who had download it.

[edit]
There is it:
http://kotaku.com/xbox-360-owners-banned-for-downloading-free-games-1430436443

People are comparing apples and oranges. This isn't like that. You're not exploiting a glitch to get a free game. You're buying the game on the US marketplace, and simply switching regions to play it early. You're not circumventing the purchase entirely like that was.

Also, the 360 was region locked. The Xbox One is region free, rendering the entire argument about switching regions being a bad thing pointless.

And no, I never need to reinstall. Once you buy the game off the Xbox store, you own the license.

The difference is that now it's for a preload that won't be activated until a certain time local. When you download it off the US store it says something different on the game manager screen than when you download it from the NZ store.

I'm at work so I can't confirm.

Can anyone who downloaded it from the US marketplace keep the download on their system and change regions to NZ and see if it changes the game manager page to the 'unlocks at 12:01am NZST' message without re-downloading the game?

Forsythia

I bit the bullet and pressed cancel. Yeah, dumb, I know, but I was lucky: now it just says prepurchased, as it should, with everything installed. I'd just wait if I were you, but I doubt the content has been removed.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This will definitely work for me!

I live in New Zealand, so I'm off to pick up my copy from the shop in 1.5 hours anyway ;)

I bit the bullet and press cancel. Yeah, dumb, I know, but I was lucky: now it just says prepurchased, as it should, with everything installed. I'd just wait if I were you, but I doubt the content has been removed.

Even if the content is removed you can just re-download it from your history. The purchase doesn't magically get deleted off your account.

iceatcs

People are comparing apples and oranges. This isn't like that. You're not exploiting a glitch to get a free game. You're buying the game on the US marketplace, and simply switching regions to play it early. You're not circumventing the purchase entirely like that was.

Also, the 360 was region locked. The Xbox One is region free, rendering the entire argument about switching regions being a bad thing pointless.
I'm not saying anything about this topic, just status what I remember. So relax and I'm just reminding to the people :p

1hr and 40 mins to get banned /s

guys, are you all crazy? is just the language and region of the console, not you account location! calm down everyone ... just go to settings and change de region to NZ and wait more 1:30 hours to have fun in this monday!

So happy, its holiday in my city!!!! i can have a day off work!

p3tran

Banned
ok, I shut down my store, managed to deal with my telephone/internet provider and now I'm back online,
sooooo
how much time left?

gossi

Just for info, I've done this for a past release on Xbox One and it worked fine. I even changed back to UK later with no side effects.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't see why this wouldn't work. But I can't miss work today, will be checking this thread constantly though.

Tratorn

A bit off-topic but are we sure we can't get around the timer on PS4 too? I just switched from my EU to US account and the timer changed too.

Should work for a NZ account too then?

Of course I couldn't play with my main account then, but since the chars get saved on their servers and not locally (at least I think so?) I could just switch to my main account tomorrow. Some trophies could be missed, but since I'll start several chars anyway, I don't care for that.

Am I missing something?

gossi

PS4 - it looks like PSN now has some kind of geoIP based filtering (didn't used to) so I doubt this will work on PS.

This workaround is a fundamental flaw in the Xbox one store design. I imagine the only fix would be IP detection/filtering, but I don't imagine enough people are exploiting it for Microsoft to care (yet).

I mean, how many people digitially pre ordered Destiny on Xbox one? Of those people, who's going to know of this and try it?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
So a guy I work with just bought an XB1 today and to buy Destiny, I sold him my pre order with Tesco (I paid £15) to £40 and pre ordered the guardian digital pre oder for £55 (live in the UK but by from the US marketplace), I'm gonna try this switch to NZ region when I get home. All after all teh buying / selling and region jumping I think I ended up with the digital guardian edition for £30.

gossi

By the way, you can trigger the finalisation of the installation by going to Manage Destiny Pre-Order Edition and pressing menu button, then "Resume Installation". It starts at 100%.

ekim

I have the possibility to get the retail version - when they say that the servers will be switched on, when it's Tuesday anywhere on the world, will I be able to play it today?

I have the possibility to get the retail version - when they say that the servers will be switched on, when it's Tuesday anywhere on the world, will I be able to play it today?

I'd imagine the servers must be switches on now. They'll be selling the game in NZ in 20 minutes

Jezehbell

I've just swapped to New Zealand country as I type this. No need to redownload. It says it will unlock at 12.01 NZT, which is very soon.

Thanks. And one more question, i'm french, if i just change the region setting and not the language one, my game will it be in French? Sorry for my bad english :/

Top Bottom