• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

ten from eurogamer and edge. five out of five from klepek. nice!

don't think i'll bother reading the reviews, no offense to the writers, i really want to go into it as fresh as possible. that edge snippet in the other thread about it having great exploration and sense of geographical progression is all i need to be incredibly excited

Polygon people must be raging with the Xbone downgrade ( they are still waiting for the secret sauce)...they must liberate the rage via catharsis...and which better way to do it that give Sony´s best game a 7.5.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Gamers, with a world of tens to choose from, focus instead on the one disagreeable score.

... while simultaneously complaining it was done for attention.

Yep. Some of the posts in here are embarrassing.

ekim

Some of what I have observed, mind you I haven't completed the game yet:

• It’s somewhat repetitive. Actually sometimes it feels like in Uncharted when you go in a straight line and then gets presented with enemies in a sandbox environment, repeat.

Any questions I should answer?

Hm does it make the game's world feel less immersive? I found myself very bothered by the dull barriers in UC2 levels...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The funny thing about Polygon was that Gies was feeding a bunch of negative hyperbole to someone I know before the review embargo dropped. I had a feeling their score would be lower after that.

Rehynn

• Best opening of any game ever (of what I can remember)
  • It is brutal. Sculls are breaking, blood is floating down your character’s arms, heads are falling off, arms ripped apart etc.
  • Controls and animates much nicer than Uncharted 3.
  • Perfect controls.
  • Enemies don’t react to NPC characters presence. I can hide behind cover, while as an example, Ellie can run right in front of a soldier, even run into him without them noticing. Another case is, that I were hiding in a very small room, a Clicker were in the same room, so I decide to throw a brick outside the room and while the Clicker tried getting out of the one door, Ellie tried gett IN, so the two of them kept walking into each other. In fact they don’t hear sounds from NPC characters - it’s a tough act to balance, as I could see it get frustrating if your NPC’s were the reason of you getting caught.
  • NPC characters can get in the way, so that you have to push them which can get intense if a Clicker or Runner have decided to run for you.
  • Best melee system I have ever tried (mind you I haven’t tried out the Batman games), as you really feel the punches and what not. Super satisfying.
  • Normally I hate looting but I like it here as it feels like you are constantly rewarded.
  • I’m playing on normal and I hardly run out of ammo, because there’s ammunition hidden in a lot of places.
  • It’s somewhat repetitive. Actually sometimes it feels like in Uncharted when you go in a straight line and then gets presented with enemies in a sandbox environment, repeat.
  • Phenomenal acting.

I agree with most of this, except for the part about the melee system. I found it very simple and shallow.

From Polygon's review:

hmm... If this is true then this could be a reasonable criticism. But if the gunplay is handled real well and these are rare occasions, then perhaps they're making it seem worse than it actually is?

They are xbots. Don´t look for coherent explanations.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You guys are better than the Uncharted 3 review debacle.
Yeah well, it's different when critics that are actally valued here give an unwanted score. UC3 debacle was about Eurogamer and Edge scores, and possibly Tom Chick or Jim Sterling, whoever gave it 3 or 4/10.

• Best opening of any game ever (of what I can remember)
  • It is brutal. Sculls are breaking, blood is floating down your character’s arms, heads are falling off, arms ripped apart etc.
  • Controls and animates much nicer than Uncharted 3.
  • Perfect controls.
  • Enemies don’t react to NPC characters presence. I can hide behind cover, while as an example, Ellie can run right in front of a soldier, even run into him without them noticing. Another case is, that I were hiding in a very small room, a Clicker were in the same room, so I decide to throw a brick outside the room and while the Clicker tried getting out of the one door, Ellie tried gett IN, so the two of them kept walking into each other. In fact they don’t hear sounds from NPC characters - it’s a tough act to balance, as I could see it get frustrating if your NPC’s were the reason of you getting caught.
  • NPC characters can get in the way, so that you have to push them which can get intense if a Clicker or Runner have decided to run for you.
  • Best melee system I have ever tried (mind you I haven’t tried out the Batman games), as you really feel the punches and what not. Super satisfying.
  • Normally I hate looting but I like it here as it feels like you are constantly rewarded.
  • I’m playing on normal and I hardly run out of ammo, because there’s ammunition hidden in a lot of places.
  • Phenomenal acting.

Why haven't you played Batman?

:p

Withnail

Polygon just living up to the stereotype.

Don't lower yourself to getting worked up about a score though guys. Just ignore it and enjoy the game.

Vol5

Wow. I need to pre-order.

What's strange is that I only had a passing interest in it until very recently.

nib95

Banned
From Polygon's review:

hmm... If this is true then this could be a reasonable criticism. But if the gunplay is handled real well and these are rare occasions, then perhaps they're making it seem worse than it actually is?

Not really. All good tales, novels, movies etc balance out the carnage with the narrative and calm. Focusing too much on one or the other just creates monotony. ND know what they're doing, Polygon do not. I guarantee if the game was as Polygon wanted, it wouldn't be half as fun. It's a silly complaint really, but silly opinions are expected of this publication.

Yep, seems like we’ve got ourselves the game of the generation ladies and gentlemen.

FHIUSFHSHGISHGHHGKSFHGSFHGUFSHGUFHGJSFOFSHOG OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Pachimari

From Polygon's review:

It IS a reasonable criticism and I'm playing it right now.

DatDude

Banned
This is so dumb. Have you guys learned nothing from the Ubcharted 3 review mess? Calm down why not.

It's just bullshit.

There score stands out like a shit stain on the mona lisa.

It's obvious they scored it low for hits, and there going to get them.

Once again, fuck them. Hope they get black listed on GAF, and on Metacritic.

Not sure if it's been posted, but we gave it 10/10:
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps3/last_of_us

An assured, touching, and engrossing adventure, The Last of Us represents a watershed moment for the medium. The unlikely bond that blossoms between the title’s two lead characters is both heartrending and poignantly paced – but the release delivers much more than captivating cinematics. This is a meaty slice of survival action that masterfully depicts the horrors of life in a post-pandemic setting. The conclusion may feel a little hurried, and the multiplayer somewhat surplus to requirements, but this is still an essential tale of survival that will consume you quicker than a cloud of contaminated spores.

Absolutely sublime game.

Ricker

Just realised this game is not releasing on a Tuesday lol...what's up with that ;)

Got mine pre-order can't wait, great scores.

PBY

Banned
Honestly, stop quoting that Polygon review. Very few people here care about Polygon. They are the butt of more jokes around here in recent times than any other publication.

Polygon people must be raging with the Xbone downgrade ( they are still waiting for the secret sauce)...they must liberate the rage via catharsis...and which better way to do it that give Sony´s best game a 7.5.

From Polygon's review:

Polygon changed Simcity score like 100 times. Why would they even matter?

I don't mind that Polygon scored it lower persay, the game didn't gel as well for the reviewer obviously... BUT from a technical, sound, and graphic level alone I can't see how it get's anything lower then an 8. Unless this really fuck up towards the end. Though this means that they scored Remember Me (which is a good game imo) better then The Last of Us and that feels odd typing out.
Y'ALL HAVEN'T PLAYED IT

lol this happens every damn time.

Super hyped to play it myself.

Paskil

7.5? Cancelled my preorder. Yeah right. This game needs to be in my PS3 ASAP. Would still play this game even if it got all 0's.

Clegg

Guys let's not have a collective meltdown over one score you disagree with.

The last time that happened was the Uncharted 3 farce. That didn't reflect well on anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom