• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

benjammin

I had no idea how good the Mario Galaxy games looked on Dolphin. Nintendo themselves won't release a Mario game that looks that good until next gen.

Radius4

PPSSPP is truly awesome. Though, the retroarch core won't play some games for me which I find strange as it plays perfectly in the normal emulator.

Also, ppsspp will only work on Linux on this computer. Windows' OpenGL implimation does not support the hardware on this laptop so, the emulator won't even load. They're working on Directx version but it is really far behind last time I checked.

Please elaborate, what games are not working? maybe here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637928&page=31

Some shots from 2013
All kind of shaders on top of these. Can't remember which ones exactly

clipboard-1v6ew7.png

6irdsj.png

clipboard-4xudv2.png

I know the fonts and text get messed up, but I just like to set the resolution real high, the picture looks so sharp and clear then. It's like PS1 games were hiding a bunch of detail behind tons of grain. I find scanlines make the picture so dark.

Some Ridge Racer in ePSXe 1.9.0

epsxe2014-05-1417-44-adsag.jpg

epsxe2014-05-1417-45-28s9w.jpg

epsxe2014-09-0819-53-ugs18.png

PS1 games look so beautiful in high res... except for that goddamned texture warping

Seik

Banned
Did they fix the hair transparency issue? I played through both of those games via NullDC last years, works pretty great and even allowed me to transfer saves between games.

I don't think anything got fixed recently, NullDC's development has been stale for years.

gelf

Did they fix the hair transparency issue? I played through both of those games via NullDC last years, works pretty great and even allowed me to transfer saves between games.

Played it to completion before christmas on the most recent version of nulldc I could find and it still has the hair issue. I'm not sure if anyone is still working on the emulator.

jett

D-Member
Anyone know if this is possible? I'd love to see it too.

http://ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-tweaker-for-peteopengl2-plugin-w-gte-accuracy-hack.160319/

An emulator named PCSXR that has a hack that helps stabilizing geometry warping/wobbling, but not texture warping.

Without hack:

EWFJMMh.jpg

With hack:

oyP7Nnx.jpg

I personally prefer playing most PS1 games at their original resolution. The warping becomes increasingly noticeable the more you increase the resolution. R4 especially looks dreadful in motion. It's too bad this thing seems to be "unfixable."

These screens were taken on a very lowend 2006 laptop with I think only 256mb intel graphics. 4GB ram, and 2.4ghz chip.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Yeah I was surprised how good Crisis Core looked on my Gamestick. I will take some pictures for this thread.

Now the only thing I do not get is why it takes so much power to play some N64 games when I can play many PSP games? What a badly designed console.

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah I was surprised how good Crisis Core looked on my Gamestick. I will take some pictures for this thread.

Now the only thing I do not get is why it takes so much power to play some N64 games when I can play many PSP games? What a badly designed console.

The N64 was being emulated like 2 years after it released and I would venture to say it's become more efficient since then. That was the time of pentium II processors. If that's par for the course I would hardly call that a lot of power.

Radius4

Why would that make the console badly designed?
The PSP might be far simpler to understand, simpler hardware, well known architecture, those are important factors. On the N64 era most of the hardware was still bespoke, done for the console and only for it.

Plugin based emulators is what hurt N64 and PSX emulation the most in my opinion. plugins gave too much free-reign to plugin authors, they deviated a lot from the core and focused on features first...

Most plugins seem to be HLE hackfests. (not saying a plugin can't be good, it just seems plugin based emulators are always behind).

Hikami

modified version of desmume

edit: Nvm, you changed your post. Seems like you found it lol.
Haven't seen many DS screenshots here, I'll see if I can contribute some of my own.

Red

Anyone have screens of other PS2 RPGs worth sharing? Rogue Galaxy? Xenosaga? Wild Arms? They seem to especially benefit from the higher rendering resolution. I'm thinking about trying Okami. Those VP2 screens are impressive.

I wonder if those cartoony Atlus games (eg Odin Sphere) benefit at all.

I set fraps to take a screenshot every three seconds while I'm playing Dolphin, but only through Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess so far. I have like 50GB of screens, if anyone wants to see something specific. I've finished SS and played TP up to the end of Snowpeak.

bomblord1

Banned
Anyone have screens of other PS2 RPGs worth sharing? Rogue Galaxy? Xenosaga? Wild Arms? They seem to especially benefit from the higher rendering resolution. I'm thinking about trying Okami. Those VP2 screens are impressive.

I set fraps to take a screenshot every three seconds while I'm playing Dolphin, but only through Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess so far. I have like 50GB of screens, if anyone wants to see something specific. I've finished SS and played TP up to the end of Snowpeak.

Don't know about the rest but Odin sphere does not it's using sprites for everything so blowing them up just smudges them.

Timu

I have Rogue Galaxy and all 3 Xenosaga games.

ChryZ

You would be surprised, the sprite assets are usually heavily scaled and therefore of better quality than the game's native res would require, e.g. for zooming in and out of the screen. They end up looking pretty great at higher rendering resolutions. Static elements (read: stuff that gets not scaled) like character art or backgrounds don't benefit that much though.

GrimGrimoire | PS2 | PCSX2 | 3x native res

ibzD0xoQt4HCN2.png

bomblord1

Banned
You would be surprised, the sprite assets are usually heavily scaled and therefore of better quality than the game's native res would require, e.g. for zooming in and out of the screen. They end up looking pretty great at higher rendering resolutions. Static elements (read: stuff that gets not scaled) like character art or backgrounds don't benefit that much though.

GrimGrimoire | PS2 | PCSX2 | 3x native res

ibzD0xoQt4HCN2.png

I didn't know the Odin Sphere team released anything else on the PS2.

MaximusCrime

Neo Member
After skimming through the thread I gave PPSSPP a go myself on my 5 year old laptop, and I have to say, color me impressed. Tried Monster Hunter FU and ran with a steady FPS, although I just took a picture at the beginning of the game.

Monster Hunter Freedom United 4x rendering
Naamloos1_zps1171baa3.png~original

Monster Hunter Freedom United original resolution
Naamloos2_zps8a7103bd.png~original

Definitely going to try some other games.

Started Shadow of the Colossus and immediately did one of my favorite things

ibnp5hGpAkORX0.png

You can even shoot while standing on Agro and riding.

Playing through Dark Cloud 2 again reconfirmed my love for it. Fantastic game.

ileEzAHEg0WTy.png

ijwzQuiTalxXT.png

bomblord1

Banned
Started Shadow of the Colossus and immediately did one of my favorite things

ibnp5hGpAkORX0.png

You can even shoot while standing on Agro and riding.

Playing through Dark Cloud 2 again reconfirmed my love for it. Fantastic game.

ileEzAHEg0WTy.png

ijwzQuiTalxXT.png

Maybe it's just me but those looked a bit stretched.

Falk

that puzzling face
Maybe it's just me but those looked a bit stretched.

It kinda does. Messing around with resizing it does look like the game looks the most natural with a 16:10-ish ratio, which was relatively common back during that era when you couldn't be sure if people's TVs were 4:3 or widescreen (or whatever else), so you just went for in between and hope it didn't annoy people too much. This was way before aspect ratio settings became more commonplace in options/configs. (See also: games up to the Wii era requiring widescreen hacks to not look like ass on modern 16:9 displays)

edit: For reference: original PS2 game screenie http://www.the-nextlevel.com/reviews/ps2/dark_cloud_2/dark_cloud_2_3.jpg

4:3, looks a little squashed, but that might just be my opinion.

Compsiox

Banned
You know how when you think back to an old game and you remember it having great graphics but it doesnt?

Well PS2 emulator made my favorite game as a kid an HD remaster...
Z5asqZ8.png

Top Bottom