• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Kard8p3 said:
This is very wrong. Before getting this I played through all the 2D (not counting lost levels) games and only died once in the first game. 3 I was surprised to find was a whole lot easier than I remembered. The only parts that were somewhat difficult were the ship levels of world 8 and they weren't that bad. Then we have Super Mario World which was always really easy. NSMBW however was surprisingly difficult for me. Not super hard or anything but just more difficult than expected. This along with everything else about NSMBW is what makes it my new favorite 2D Mario game.
It's not exactly fair to compare the difficulty of games you've beaten a bunch of times to the difficulty of a game you're playing for the first time. The fact of the matter is that I've died significantly less often so far in NSMB Wii than my first time playing through every other Mario game (except Mario 64).

Vinci said:
I can't recall a time when shaking was an issue for me. Maybe some of you folks drink too much coffee.
I've never had a problem registering false positives in any other Wii games with motion input. Usually it's the other way around.

Akai

nincompoop said:
It's not exactly fair to compare the difficulty of games you've beaten a bunch of times to the difficulty of a game you're playing for the first time. The fact of the matter is that I've died significantly less often so far in NSMB Wii than my first time playing through every other Mario game (except Mario 64).

It's also not exactly fair to compare difficulty of games now to those you played when you were much younger and less experienced (assuming you played the games when they first came out)...

Dr.Hadji

Ranger X said:
Sometimes it happen for me just pressing some button or d-pad. Seriously, its very sensitive, I would have liked a sensitivity option.
It does happen less for me though after it's been a couple of hours I play since a got the game.

This is strange because I actually have to *SHAKE* the controller to get the spin jump to come out. Really after the first level I didn't have any accidental spins. Heck, towards the end of our 4 hour play session fatigue must have set in and my hard shakes weren't registering all the time.

Ranger X

Dr.Hadji said:
This is strange because I actually have to *SHAKE* the controller to get the spin jump to come out. Really after the first level I didn't have any accidental spins. Heck, towards the end of our 4 hour play session fatigue must have set in and my hard shakes weren't registering all the time.

Wierd. I only need to give the controller and extremely small tilt. Even the term "shake" doesn't really fit, it litterally is a little tilt.

Quixzlizx

The world is conspiring to keep me from playing this game. I wanted to CFW my Wii so I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading to 4.2 and possibly bricking it, but I had to order a card reader (I also ordered an 8 GB SDHC card for good measure) to get the files loaded onto a card. I did all of this last week, and the SDHC card is currently sitting next to me while the card reader is currently in "Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect carrier facility" limbo. The tracking information hasn't been updated in roughly 18 hours. Argh.

At the midnight launch for Left 4 Dead and AC2, I also picked this game up. Needless to say, it's had more playtime that both of the previous games combined. :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I dunno. I'm just a little nervous since I think people might be a bit more impressionable, with the game being just released and all. I don't want to come back to this thread a week from now with everyone doing a 180.

Johnas

Oblivion said:
All right, men. I'm ready to take the plunge. Last chance to change my mind.

Dude, it's a new 2(.5)D Mario. Why would you not play it if you have a Wii?

Even if you weren't exactly crazy for the DS game (I liked it all right, not as much as the old games) you should still check out this game. I'd say the general consensus is that it's noticeably better-designed and more fun to play than the DS game.

Just don't expect some Galaxy-style reinvention of the Mario platformer.

Cheez-It

Kaijima said:
It was said recently that we never truly recognize classic games as we're playing them because we're too busy playing them. Sometimes, I think, we stop and enthuse about all the bells and whistles in modern "experience" games because our mind is just so blown, but after we're done having our mind blown by the cinematics or set pieces, what else is left? Is there a core game under all that which we'll keep playing for 10 years?

People are still playing Super Mario Bros 3 today, right now, as we speak. Like, a lot of people.

Are there really tons of people playing Call of Duty 1 in single player, for its campaign? I mean, I'm sure there's someone. But how classic is it really?

Having finished NSMB Wii, I do feel that it's something I'll be playing again and again in the years to come. I suspect it's one of those games that will become increasingly well-regarded as time passes rather than forgotten about for the Next Big Thing. I have a shelf full of Huge Industry Event Games that I keep for the multiplayer mode but I know I won't frequently play again, if ever, for the campaign. There's just no reason to. When we see so many people talking with assurance about how "single player games are mutants that have outlived their time", it just makes me think "you're saying that because you are in reality a mediocre game designer and you can't make a timeless single player game."

At any rate, you might appreciate this: someone remarked not long ago that if you think about it, this being the first console 2D Mario game in 19 years, and it being released in time for Christmas, that means that for hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children, they will be getting a Wii this christmas along with NSMB. This means that for an entire generation of children, for the first time since 1991, the first video game they play that is their very own in their own home will be Super Mario Bros. Well, that, and Wii Sports.

There's some math there and I believe it adds up to awesome.

++

This game is a classic. I do agree with some of The Blue Jihad's points, (e.g. it does take a bit longer than it could between levels, and the game is a little looser control-wise than I would prefer), but find it mildly amusing that someone could take these small complaints into something like 'the game is less than the sum of its parts'.

It's like bitching about the camera in SMG, and claiming that it has any impact whatsoever on the amazingness of the game.

Beat it. That final boss gave me more trouble than any Mario boss has given me ever. Needless to say, it was awesome.

Now I'm gonna work on
World 9 once I get all the coins in each world

[Nintex]

Wow, I just played this with my brother for two hours and this is seriously, the most fun I had with a video game this year. 2009 redeemed.

Ranger X said:
But not everygame can be like that. I was speaking "videogames" not just Mario for that specific point. The different between Mario NES and Mario now is that it was more an hardcore experience back in the day and now they want it "for everybody".

Dude, NES Mario--especially SMB1--was "for everybody." Even my 36-year-old dad, who never played videogames up until that point and hasn't since then, barring one brief race in Diddy Kong Racing and a night of Wii Bowling. He and I stayed up til midnight one night as he taught me how to beat the game. All eight worlds. My dad beat SMB1 before I did...and I was six! I had all the time in the world. lol

My Aunt Carol and Uncle Jon spent more time playing SMB1 than I did. They taught me and my dad most of the shortcuts (I still remember dad's reaction to the short-cut in 4-2). NES Mario games were absolutely "for everyone." Why?

Because they were pick up and play. They weren't a hardcore experience back in the day at all.

You can put SMB1 in anyone's hands and they'll be able to play. They might suck at it, but they'll at least "get it."

The industry does not really need tutorials or constant instructional reminders. As dumb as most casual gamers are, they aren't that dumb.

Your girlfriend having problems playing Zelda is like my fiance having issues playing Lego Indiana Jones. Those are puzzle games at their core. Puzzle games by nature are more abstract because the solutions aren't immediately obvious, the player's interaction with the environment isn't immediately intuitive, and most of the time those games require the use of half a dozen different items to proceed.

That's quite different from NES Mario, where it's just you, the controller, and the game. D-pad for movement. One button for fireballs/run. One button to jump. The rest of the gameplay emerges from there. It's very pick up and play. Very casual-friendly.

And maybe I just have a lot more faith in the majority of the gaming populace these days, but I don't see why it's such a necessity to include constant reminders of simple gameplay features. New Super Mario Bros Wii is a step back in the right direction. I want to see more like it in the future.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Overall, the game is still great -- I completed the last castle yesterday, but I still need to go back and find all the coins, secret levels, etc. etc. etc.. I'm not sure whether I was trying to speed through the game, but I never came across -any- of the cannon exits in the levels... they aren't THAT obvious, folks. I know where a few are, though, and now I just have to go back and get them.

Overall, the game seemed to be of moderate difficulty -- once you hit level 6, things started to get fairly difficult. I only have one Super Guide block appear on me, though -- the world 8 final castle. I managed to get through the rest of the game using fewer than 9 lives per level, it appears.

Only one level of world 9 is open for me at the moment -- I need to go explore the rest, now.

(Also, I still don't get this problem many folks are having with the spin controls -- I've NEVER had a spin start when I didn't want it to, and I've only had ONE spin not register. Perhaps some of you folks jump around a lot while playing?)

Bananakin said:
Just for kicks, I decided to do some timing to compare SMB3 and NSMB Wii. I went into a random level, died on purpose, used a mushroom when I got back to the map, then went back into the level. I timed from the second I got hit and died, to the point when I was able to control Mario again after re-entering the level. It ended up taking about 9 seconds in SMB3, and 20 seconds in NSMB Wii (pretty consistently for the level I chose).
Sixfortyfive said:
There is something wrong with either your disc or your console. This stuff is instantaneous for me. Or at least no slower than it was in SMB3.
As Bananakin said, there is a annoying delay during the game when using items or when retrying levels. It's not long enough to be a major problem, but using items is far from "instant" (there is a noticeable lag between the item use and returning to the map), as well as between movements across the map. I don't think it's a big enough issue to detract from the game's overall experience, but it is weird, considering that it would be seemingly easy enough to avoid such a delay for either the items or replaying a level.

Bananakin said:
it makes a huge difference when you're really annoyed and trying to get back into a level that you had a bogus death in.
In all fairness, I don't think it's possible to have a "bogus death" in the game. Cough cough.

Kard8p3

so I just unlocked the secret levels of world 7 and 8. I'm loving the tribute to SMB3 in the world 7 secret level and have died a couple times because I'd screw up my jump. Then there was world 8 and it's bone coaster level. That level was kind of crazy awesome and I wish there was another like it. This game never stops with the awesome.

DavidDayton said:
In all fairness, I don't think it's possible to have a "bogus death" in the game. Cough cough.
Except when the game registers a false waggle in the middle of a jump and the extra momentum carries you to your doom. Which accounted for pretty much all of my deaths prior to 8-4 :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
nincompoop said:
Except when the game registers a false waggle in the middle of a jump and the extra momentum carries you to your doom. Which accounted for pretty much all of my deaths prior to 8-4 :lol
Never happened to me once. In fact, the closest thing I got was I spin jumped into a spike thing in world 8 and lost my power up right at the start of the midpoint :/

atomsk

Party Pooper
aaaaaand done

33w6zk7.jpg

well that consumed 5 days of my life

Ranger X

The Blue Jihad said:
And maybe I just have a lot more faith in the majority of the gaming populace these days, but I don't see why it's such a necessity to include constant reminders of simple gameplay features. New Super Mario Bros Wii is a step back in the right direction. I want to see more like it in the future.

Let me bring another nuance to my opinion. I see where you are coming from, I just think it's nice that games nowadays actually care more for the casual and the beginners. People can learn faster and better by themselves with tutorials.
I think it's not cool that they always repeat the tuto box in NSMB, having an help menu on pause would have been ideal. I also hate "integrated tutorials" for me the most part. I think they are a necessity but that doesn't mean I wouldnt want them optional. And as for the NSMB specific case, i've been annoyed more than that with SO MANY games. I mean, it can't be a major grip for me like it sounds it is for you.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
So I was playing with my brother, and he didn't believe me that you can get star coins with shells. I went to show him on one of the ice stages (I forget which one exactly), got scared about about halfway through the jump, and accidentally turned around and released the shell straight into his face. He though I had tricked him just so I could kill him. He never believed me after that.:lol

Proven

Kard8p3 said:
Sad to see this thread is already close to death less than a week after the release of the game.

It's because it's one of those games where we're all playing too much to post. That's half the reason I've been absent from this thread since Sunday.

LCfiner

man, just had my first multiplayer experience with NSMBW and it was pretty much everything I expected and hoped for.

It was only 2 player so it wasn’t complete chaos but it was still pretty nuts. 2nd dude was a lapsed gamer friend who owns a Wii but only bought Wii Play for it. We were at my house and I had to shown him this one.

1-1 wasn’t too nuts. took a little while to get used to the "shaking to pick up” motion but that was fine.

The real craziness started when we went to level 1-5, which I had previously said was worth the purchase of a Wii just by itself. it’s the levels with the rotating squares to stand on. we must’ve died 7 or 8 times on that level but it was always in the most hilarious ways. when we finally made it to the end, I made the last jump and yelled “yeah, boyyyeeeee!” only to miss the platform with the flag by about 1 millimeter and fall to my sudden, unexpected death. My buddy, who had died so many times before and was on his last life, just barely made the jump and hit the very bottom of the flag.

we were just laughing hysterically at the zaniness of it all.

so now he’s buying this game for Xmas and wants to get together next week and try it again.

LCfiner said:
man, just had my first multiplayer experience with NSMBW and it was pretty much everything I expected and hoped for.

It was only 2 player so it wasn’t complete chaos but it was still pretty nuts. 2nd dude was a lapsed gamer friend who owns a Wii but only bought Wii Play for it. We were at my house and I had to shown him this one.

1-1 wasn’t too nuts. took a little while to get used to the "shaking to pick up” motion but that was fine.

The real craziness started when we went to level 1-5, which I had previously said was worth the purchase of a Wii just by itself. it’s the levels with the rotating squares to stand on. we must’ve died 7 or 8 times on that level but it was always in the most hilarious ways. when we finally made it to the end, I made the last jump and yelled “yeah, boyyyeeeee!” only to miss the platform with the flag by about 1 millimeter and fall to my sudden, unexpected death. My buddy, who had died so many times before and was on his last life, just barely made the jump and hit the very bottom of the flag.

we were just laughing hysterically at the zaniness of it all.

so now he’s buying this game for Xmas and wants to get together next week and try it again.

With 4 players on levels like that it is just insanely fun. Everyone rushing to get onto one little platform is awesome.

Kard8p3 said:
Sad to see this thread is already close to death less than a week after the release of the game.

I'm playing through the game really slowly, because I'm playing it with my girlfriend, and we're splitting time between this game, she's playing Assassin's Creed 2 and Dragon Age, and I'm playing Left 4 Dead 2 and working :lol

Probably end up playing the game tonight though.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Got this today!

Only took two days even though it was amazon free 5-9 day shipping... :D

The game is awesome. A joy. It has the incentive to explore and move around that the DS game lacked. I think it is because the levels are bigger (both horizontally and vertically)

In preparation for this I finished SMB3 yesterday. NSMB wii has been awesome so far. only did world 1!

Playing mario on the big screen is also different. the game looks good, but I still wish they had gone with a slightly different aesthetic. the only minor gripe so far is that waggle to pick up large objects is a bit counter intuitive.

Johnas

I'm well on my way to 100% for the second time (halfway through World 6 atm) and there have been quite a few little things I've found that I missed the first time.

-Taking Yoshi underground (and hearing the underground theme with the added beats)

-Didn't realize before that you can hop into Lakitu's cloud while riding Yoshi

-More continuous starmen levels than I realized before

-More 1ups hidden in places (like they're needed :p)

-Didn't realize you could slide across the top of water in the Penguin Suit

I've also really noticed just how frequently power-ups are sprinkled throughout some levels, which comes in really handy when you need that very thing to make the level a lot more manageable. Example-fire flower in the levels with the fish swimming back and forth at the bottom.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What the hell at the star coin in 2-2! Did anyone honestly figure out where it was on there own without the hint video?

Kard8p3

So outside of world 7 and 8 are there any other worlds with hidden levels that you locate by finding secret exits? If there are could someone lead me in the right direction?

Davey Cakes

Insaniac said:
man i suck at mario platformers. I'm at world 3 and I've died probably 30 times since i started this game.
I've died a lot too, and I've been playing Mario games all my life.

The people who are saying that the game still isn't tough enough are just REALLY REALLY good at it.

Anyone who said this game was a big step up over NSMB DS in terms of difficulty was right. It's not exceptionally hard or anything, but I've definitely died far more than I thought I would. And this is still considering that I have 80-something lives (so close to that wonderful 99). Just because I have a lot of lives doesn't mean I didn't die plenty of times as well.

The platforming in this game is very creative and is more demanding to the player than most had originally predicted. This is what I love about the game so much.

Somnia

This as of right this minute is officially my GOTY. I did not think this would be my choice, but jesus this game is so fucking fun. This game takes me right back to when I first started playing games.

I cannot put this game down!!!

I did a 100% run on SMW to prepare for this game. I've probably wasted more lives trying to get all the coins through the end of World 3 than I did in all of SMW (Star Road included).

As far as difficulty is concerned, this is the best Nintendo has been since Yoshi's Island DS. Thank goodness for Super Guide. They must feel more free to make challenging levels. I'm loving it.

Kard8p3

So the first time I went through the last level I used the propeller suit for the last half of giant Bowsers chase which made it fairly easy. However I decided not to use it this time and have died twice. Something else I picked up on that I didn't notice the first time is how the music changes slightly the longer the chase goes on. Little things like that make this game that much more awesome.

tabsina

Rash said:
I've died a lot too, and I've been playing Mario games all my life.

The people who are saying that the game still isn't tough enough are just REALLY REALLY good at it.

Anyone who said this game was a big step up over NSMB DS in terms of difficulty was right. It's not exceptionally hard or anything, but I've definitely died far more than I thought I would. And this is still considering that I have 80-something lives (so close to that wonderful 99). Just because I have a lot of lives doesn't mean I didn't die plenty of times as well.

The platforming in this game is very creative and is more demanding to the player than most had originally predicted. This is what I love about the game so much.

while that is probably true in some cases, i'd wager that quite a few of them have skipped more than a couple the star coins

bridegur

I have a couple minor complaints about the game, but it's amazing to me that Nintendo is still able to make Mario games comparable to the originals, but Sega can't make new Sonic games that come within a thousand miles of the first four in that series.

Top Bottom