• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - "Fight Like Hell" Campaign Trailer

Zeliard

Terrible trailer. An endless barrage of pre-canned melee animations is not what I think of when I think Doom. I've seen clips of the game where it was demoed in more promising ways, but I don't see what's so interesting about ripping control from the player's hands when one of the hallmarks of Doom 1 and 2 was their great emphasis on fast pace and fluid controls.

Did you not play Wolfenstien the new order? The character progression certainly didn't harm the game there, as it was the best shooter campaign of the past 5 years easily, and it paid homage to it's roots almost excessively, I don't think there is much to worry about, this game looks like it's gonna play like a modern doom should.

Of course they're showing off the crazy kill animations front and center to get the normal folks talking about the game, same reason Mortal Kombat always advertises with it's brutal Xrays and fatalities, it gets people talking/tweeting/spreading.
These posts about Wolf:NO remind me I really need to get/play that and Old Blood.

Bloody UAC labs:
gSEpsS7.jpg

Gibs!

Zombie soldiers with shields, and a chaingunner in the middle?

Chaingunner go boom!

Room-full of monsters! I spy: Imps, Lost Souls, Pinky, Cacodemon, Mancubus.

Face-to-face with DOOM's iconic Pinky:

Performing dentistry on a Pinky:

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Hell has never looked better! How 'bout those RED Cacodemons!? And check out the Imp leaping in off-screen from the left, chucking a fireball mid-flight!

Punching an Imp in the face. (Jesus, those Cacodemons are terrifying.)

Cacodemon with a ripped-out eye. Also: Green armor pickup spotted!

Nice look at an Imp before it gets its head stomped in.

Chaingun, motherfuckers!

Blue and yellow keycard doors? Oh, hi Mr. Cyberdemon Baron of Hell!

Did you not play Wolfenstien the new order? The character progression certainly didn't harm the game there, as it was the best shooter campaign of the past 5 years easily, and it paid homage to it's roots almost excessively, I don't think there is much to worry about, this game looks like it's gonna play like a modern doom should.

Of course they're showing off the crazy kill animations front and center to get the normal folks talking about the game, same reason Mortal Kombat always advertises with it's brutal Xrays and fatalities, it gets people talking/tweeting/spreading.

When will people ever stop overreacting to anything people say in the forum? All I said is that it could potentially harm the game.

I'm still excited.

When will people ever stop overreacting to anything people say in the forum? All I said is that it could potentially harm the game.

I'm still excited.

You said potentially ruin the game buddy, which is an overreaction in itself.

These posts about Wolf:NO remind me I really need to get/play that and Old Blood.

Please do man, you won't be disappointed, it excels in every department, closest a game has come to single player fps perfection since HL2.

If the multiplayer is any indication the game won't be melee focused at all. I imagine on harder difficulties the melee executions will be a lot harder to pull off, so if you start on Ultra-Violence (which better be the difficult name) the executions will feel super satisfying if you manage it.

Doom is also about exploration and finding secrets but guess what? A thrilling "in your face" trailer that does not make. Even the E3 demo had moments of quiet and traversal. Use some common sense.

abracadaver

I wonder what happens to a cacodemon after you rip its eye out.

Will it die immediately or fly around aimlessly and scream in agony

Nokterian

Terrible trailer. An endless barrage of pre-canned melee animations is not what I think of when I think Doom. I've seen clips of the game where it was demoed in more promising ways, but I don't see what's so interesting about ripping control from the player's hands when one of the hallmarks of Doom 1 and 2 was their great emphasis on fast pace and fluid controls.

At least i am not the only one thinking about that.

Showed this to a friend at work who had no idea that this was coming out and it was hilarious to watch and hear his reactions. Every few seconds it was WOAH and HOLY SHIT and OH MY GOD YES. By the end he was giggling like a little kid.

Bethesda is tapping into the right vein.

That trailer got me hyped. I doubt I'll be there day one but definitely year one to play though the campaign (after my daughter goes to bed).

gamz

Showed this to a friend at work who had no idea that this was coming out and it was hilarious to watch and hear his reactions. Every few seconds it was WOAH and HOLY SHIT and OH MY GOD YES. By the end he was giggling like a little kid.

Bethesda is tapping into the right vein.

Same with my Co-worker. Came by my desk when I was watching it and he went nuts. He had no idea it was a thing.

DocSeuss

It's fucking incredible.

MachineGames are the reigning king of campaign FPS, in my opinion.

I was a teeny bit let down by The Old Blood, which I did still love, because it was too short, with individual encounters that were too long. Like, hey, meet a woman, she seems really cool, one encounter with nazis later and that's the end of her.

This makes for a GOOD TRAILER, but the game itself is absolutely incredible, from what I've played so far. Only complaint is the shotgun range is abysmal.

You don't have to perform the execution kills if you don't want to.

I think the issue is the reliance on said cinematic kills in the trailer. Is there anything else to the game? because the way they are presenting it the most noteworthy thing about it is some bog standard melee kills I've seen in a thousand other games. the bullet list of features is 'gruesome kills' and 'ripping off an arm to use it on a door scanner' pretty gimmicky stuff if you ask me. What it setting this apart that people are so excited for, other than they slapped the 'doom' name on it? It seems nobody involved with any of the other games has anything to do with it and it's just something that bethesda is shitting out because they own the rights. Am I missing something here? should I be excited?

biteren

I think the issue is the reliance on said cinematic kills in the trailer. Is there anything else to the game? because the way they are presenting it the most noteworthy thing about it is some bog standard melee kills I've seen in a thousand other games. the bullet list of features is 'gruesome kills' and 'ripping off an arm to use it on a door scanner' pretty gimmicky stuff if you ask me. What it setting this apart that people are so excited for, other than they slapped the 'doom' name on it? It seems nobody involved with any of the other games has anything to do with it and it's just something that bethesda is shitting out because they own the rights. Am I missing something here? should I be excited?

if you havent been following the game since the E3 reveal then yeah i can see if you feel this way, the reason to get excited about this is that its a modern DOOM game that will play more like the classic games. this is especially pleasing since the leaked doom 4 footage shows that this game would have been a COD style shooter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjy-1vbkQMo

I too loved Doom 1&2 because they had canned animations, slow movement, QTEs, piñata enemies, and no mods. Oh wait, no I didn't.
Music is great though, but it's Mick Gordon so that's no surprise.

Alienous

I still think they should have went with a Bulletstorm-like melee in this instead of the animated finishing moves. There's only so many of those they can produce and it won't be long before performing a mini-fatality on a goon feels like more of a chore than a boon
heh

Skitso78

Bloody UAC labs:

Gibs!

Chaingunner go boom!

Hell has never looked better! How 'bout those RED Cacodemons!? And check out the Imp leaping in off-screen from the left, chucking a fireball mid-flight!

Chaingun, motherfuckers!

Blue and yellow keycard doors? Oh, hi Mr. Cyberdemon!

Looks great, thanks for the pics! Just realised whats bugging me in them though: monsters are not casting any shadows. Wonder if it's a bug...

biteren

I still think they should have went with a Bulletstorm-like melee in this instead of the animated finishing moves. There's only so many of those they can produce and it won't be long before performing a mini-fatality on a goon feels like more of a chore than a boon
heh

well, you could run up and do the animation, or just pop the monsters head off with the sniper

which one would you prefer at that time?

It's DOOM in capital letters though...it's really 'rock and roll' and 'visceral', kind of like a 48 year old dad in a Green Day shirt is 'punk' as fuck.

Mr Swine

Banned
Bloody UAC labs:

Gibs!

Chaingunner go boom!

Chaingun, motherfuckers!

Blue and yellow keycard doors? Oh, hi Mr. Cyberdemon!

That's the Baron of Hell, also did you post a similar post like this in Doomworld? :p

daveo42

Banned
Overall looks good, but I'm not digging the whole melee kill stuff. It seems so not-Doom to me and very out of place in a game like this. I still wish they didn't include it.

Alienous

well, you could run up and do the animation, or just pop the monsters head off with the sniper

which one would you prefer at that time?

The option to punch a limb off and be on my merry way, maybe with the option of picking it up to use as a melee weapon.

Having control of the camera taken from you in those moments doesn't seem like it'll aid the fluidity of the gameplay.

Xion86

This is going to make me completely forget Doom 3 ever happened! Fantastic trailer, pumped to play this, some great memories there too. Not too keen on the melee finishers though, may get repetitive.

Hubble

Loving the old nod to classic Doom enemies.

I do feel like the graphics historically for DOOM look dumbed down for consoles but it is what it is.

Top Bottom