• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoon

1. Portal 2
2. Uncharted 3
3. Yakuza 4
4. LittleBigPlanet 2
5. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
6. Infamous 2
7. MotorStorm: Apocalypse
8. Where is My Heart
9. Catherine
10. Dark Souls

2010: 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors

Really? I never did a count but it seems like Portal 2 and Uncharted 3 are getting just as many votes. Could be a tight race for GOTY.

Not really.

I think it goes Skyrim. Medium gap....then SS.....then a fairly large gap.....then 4/5 games like Uncharted, Portal, and Arkham City. I really don't think its going to be close and I see those two games seperating from the pack.

The ONLY way I see any other result is if all the Skyrim and Zelda people keep each others game off their own lists out of spite which could allow another to sneak up.

I could be wrong but I don't think so.

fallagin

I've only played one new game this year, and that is

1. Portal 2

I kind of feel bad that I'm voting without playing all the top contenders, but that game blew me away so I feel pretty confident in my decision.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
1. Forza Motorsport 4 ; I don't think Turn 10 Studios can do any better. Car handling, graphics, Top Gear integration... GOTY, hands down
2. Daytona USA (XBLA/PSN) ; Brought back a lot of childhood memories. Daytona USA 2 next please, Sega.
3. Gears 3 ; The dedicated servers in multiplayer make the difference.
4. Need for Speed: The Run ; I expect Jack to do a world tour in 2013, Black Box.
5. Duke Nukem Forever ; Yes, I went there. Enjoyable most of the time.
6. Sonic CD ; Sega's on a roll with digital downloads this year.
7. Guardian Heroes ; See above.
8. Dirty Drivin' ; Sega Rally, Mario Kart and Twisted Metal all in one? With White Zombie on top? Yes, please!
9. Angry Birds Rio ; I liked it, shut up.
10. Mortal Kombat 9 ; My fighting game of the year. Ultimate MVC3 fan in the back, sit down.

Honorable mention: Shift 2 Unleashed; Would have made the list if the driving mechanics were better.
Honorable mention 2: NBA Jam On Fire Edition; If I found some people to play this online with, it would have made the list.

Luthos

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; the (single player) game that will keep on giving months (years?) after release

2. Batman: Arkham City ; such a great game. One of the best melee combat systems ever. The freeflow transition animations are amazing.

3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; not as good as 2, but not disappointing. Naughty Dog is still top tier in presentation, characters, animations, etc.

4. Dead Space 2 ; a critically underrated game, imo. I prefer the Dead Space series to say RE4 (come at me internet). One of the best selection of weapons in any game. They're so much fun.

5. Portal 2 ; really fun game. Some of the most laughs I've had in a video game. The characters are amazing. (Wheatley, Glados, Cave Johnson)

6. Infamous 2 ; one of if not the best super hero (with powers) games. Ionic Vortex never got old man.

7. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; as much as I liked this game, I find it dropped when I thought about the other games this year. But still, great game with fun (and hard) combat.

8. Gears of War 3 ; I don't own it, but played co-op with a friend. Good co-op, and horde mode is always fun

x. I've played other games this year like Dragon Age 2, LA Noire, and LotR: War in the North, etc., but they shouldn't be put in the top 10 just to fill it out.

ReaperXL7

So just so i'm clear, stuff like The Team ICO HD collection, and the Metal Gear Solid HD collection are not allowed correct? Just want to make sure that I don't list things, not allowed, and these did not come off as simple HD ports to me, so i'm not entirely sure what that means.

Seda

So just so i'm clear, stuff like The Team ICO HD collection, and the Metal Gear Solid HD collection are not allowed correct? Just want to make sure that I don't list things, not allowed, and these did not come off as simple HD ports to me, so i'm not entirely sure what that means.

Neither are allowed. Only remakes that are allowed are ones with significant change....like Tactics Ogre for example. (actually...not sure about that)

This really should be in the OP. I mean these games specifically listed out.

GhaleonQ

Huge thanks to anyone who has made the effort to explain their choices, even a little bit so far. If you're anything like me, the aggregate results to these things aren't that interesting, but hearing smart people explain themselves and talk about the unique things they saw in the games they played is great.

(As with last year, I'll be voting around January 4th or 5th to allow for any late game-changers. Two of my top ten last year I played between December 25th and January 5th)

I'll second both of those (stupid Inazuma 11 4 coming out this week). I'm seeing a lot of intriguing lists, so good job, again, NeoGAF.

my god there are a lot of #1 Dark Souls votes. I've never played either in the series, but this is certainly motivating me to do so....

I was just looking at the Opening posts and I see Tactics Ogre PSP isn't listed. Is it not allowed? It has several changes from the original. I see a handful of votes for it too.

if it's not I hate you. :((((((((((

What are the changes, exactly?

ReaperXL7

Neither are allowed. Only remakes that are allowed are ones with significant change....like Tactics Ogre for example. (actually...not sure about that)

This really should be in the OP. I mean these games specifically listed out.

nevermind read the OP again.

Yerolo

1. Dead Island
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Portal 2
4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
7. Battlefield 3
8. Crysis 2
9. L.A. Noire
10. Alice: Madness Returns

I haven't played any of AAA games since august so my top 10 will mostly be indies

1. Atom Zombie Smasher : a genious take on tower defense and a glorious zombie games. The best I've played it years really. On the top of that, it has Lama, moustaches, nukes and an incredibly moving and yet funny story and a kick ass soundtrack. GOTY for sure
2. Portal 2 : Inventive, funny and perfectly paced, Portal 2 is much more that a perfect illustration of level design and writing, it is also quit the achievement in term of executing a concept.
3. Mass Effect 2 PS3 : While the game loose much as an RPG, it wins a lot at rythm. It is faster, well paced and the writing, is still glorious. Also, art direction as improved a lot.
4. Motorstorm Apocalypse : Motorstorm series keep racing ahead as best arcade racer this generation and Apocalypse is doing it better than ever. So many things changed but everything felt, played and looked right. Best online experience this year.
5. Yakuza 4 : 80 hours in the first week. Nuff said. Best episode from a god tier series thanks to an incredible cast of characters.
6. Edge : simple, retro, fun, sometimes demanding, sometimes really mind blowing and a kick ass soundtrack
7. Jamestown : My first crush on a bullethell. This plays good, looks amazing and is actually pretty forgiving with a really clever progression curve.
8. AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! For the awesome : Finaly I could try this and it turned out nothing short but an amazing experience of extrem sensations crossed to a hole lot of wtf cryptic indie and obscure references to god knows what.
9. Trine 2 : Drop dead gorgeous with an already fabulous gameplay that got even better
10. Bastion : last minute addition thanks to it's release within Chrome. Finely crafted gameplay, perfect balance between hack'n'slash and run'n'gun. Astonishing art and mesmerizing soundtrack. Also, DAT narrator

Matsuno

1. Dark Souls
2. Tactics Ogre psp
3. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Catherine
6. Uncharted 3
7. Skyrim
8. Batman: Arkham City
9. Portal 2
10. Infamous 2

Bernbaum

1: Forza Motorsport 4
2: Space Marine
3: Gears of War 3
4: Super Mario 3D Land
6: Portal 2
7: Ticket to Ride (iPad)
8: Pilotwings Resort
9: Stacking
10: Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception

2010: Mass Effect 2. 'cos I only played it this year and absolutely fucking loved it.

Add L.A. Noire and Killzone 3 and those are pretty much the only games I played this year, although I thought both were terrible.

UC3 only just makes the list.

FM4 is the clear winner. Space Marine was incredibly refreshing and I urge everyone to play it on whatever platform they have access to.

Emwitus

Dissapointing showing for uncharted 3 as expected. I had high hopes for it but something about the game left me unsatisfied by credits roll. I cudnt really put my finger on it. At first, i thought maybe the game design wasn't good enough, but then looking back at all the breath taking sequences like the airplane scene, desert, shipwreck etc etc I came to the conclusion, that wasn't my issue. The problem was the characters. Hey hey, hold on to those pitch forks people lol.....I just mean, Alot more new characters. I can see why elena would make a showing, and, Carter was a great addition but i honestly believe the dynamic between sully and nate was NOT as interesting as Nate/chloe, Nate/elena. They have 10 hours so why not develop uncharted like a tv show...So yeah, more characters leading to interesting interaction that does not feel like a rehash of uncharted two.
PS: I LOVE UNCHARTED CAUSE OF STORY SO DO NOT BITE ME :(

Seda

What are the changes, exactly?

The biggest change is the new Wheel of Fortune mechanic, which allows you to replay battles in the game. It's not just a "level select" though. In the game there are multiple choices to be made, both in battle and out of battle. The wheel of fortune allows a player to explore other choices to see the variances in the progression of the plot. IN the original you would have to start over from scratch.

The Chariot System is similar, but for battle, it's an ability to rewind your moves, one-by-one, and restart from that point in the battle.

New characters

New translation

Characters have been renamed. A lot of mechanics have been tweaked, like the leveling up of classes as a group rather than individually. There is a alot more control over individual character set-up. Death mechanic is different (give you a chance to revive)

New items, new sidequests (including a post-game), new skills.

In addition to better graphics and music.

more specifics

upandaway

1. Pokemon Black/White

2010. 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors ; would have been my 2 last year

Minecraft is not allowed? It's not on the list. And it was in the vote last year.

Pikma

Banned
1. Batman Arkham City
2. Catherine
3. Portal 2
4. Infamous 2
5. Resistance 3
6. Pokemon Black/White
7. DiRT 3

2010. Just Cause 2

The list is a work in progress, since I haven't played Dark Souls, Deus Ex nor Uncharted 3 yet.

Haeleos

1) Rayman Origins
2) Dark Souls
3) Batman: Arkham City
4) Dead Space 2
5) Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6) Magicka
7) Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
8) Battlefield 3
9) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
10) Terraria

1. Dark Souls; Such a rich experience - felt like the evolution of Castlevania exploration/boss/item gameplay.

2. Catherine; Unique, challenging, character driven experience that is rare in gaming these days.

3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; This game is fun in that delinquent sort of way where you can stack cabbage to the ceiling in a stranger's house.

4. The Witcher 2; Definitely part of a dying breed - gorgeous, mature, challenging, and thought provoking.

5. Dead Space 2; Wow, they made it so much funner, scarier, and cinematic than the first one. Great job.

6. Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD - Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector's Edition; Very fun and short as well as self-aware of it's dated mechanics and cheesiness. A guilty pleasure.

7. Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception; Not perfect like Uncharted 2, but still miles ahead of other action games. Pretty good persistence based multiplayer - also, loot drops are cool (I got a pair of cat ears unlocked for Elena).

8. Persona 2: Innocent Sin; Damn, it's about time we got this game in the States - I have a lot of appreciation for Atlus USA for translating this great entry to the Persona series. This was totally one of those games that I played for story/characters/dialogue because the combat/dungeons are boring and easy.

9. Mortal Kombat 9; Serious comeback for the series and technically sound enough to enjoy in the tournament scene. Crappy online though.

10. Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection; Best version of the classic game. It also includes the Intermission chapter and sequel to the game.

Danny-Boy

So even though you basically hated everything about the game...its your 2nd favorite out of the year? You must really REALLY hate everything starting from 3.

Yeah it showed me how good the game is and how strong the Zelda series is. I felt it had many flaws yet I still fell in love with it. The graphics were painful on a big screen t.v and the Girahim boss music is the worst music in video game history. The story wasn't that bad though, it was probably boring me because it was moving at a snails pace.

Doctor_20

Banned
Short list because I didn't play all the games I wanted to this year:

1. Portal 2
2. Battlefield 3
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Dead Space 2
5. NHL 12
6. Forza Motorspot 4
7. Halo: Anniversary

LTTP 2010:

1. Halo: Reach
2. Red Dead Redemption

1. Portal 2 ; There was never a dull moment in this game. The co-op was the highlight for me. Some truly ingenious and inventive puzzles on display, which more than made up for my slight disappointment in the difficulty of the single player.
2. Terraria
3. Orcs Must Die
4. Beat Hazard Ultra
5. Blocks That Matter
6. Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
7. Sanctum
8. Dead Space 2
9. Little Big Planet 2
10. Pixeljunk Shooter 2

2010. Red Dead Redemption

Minecraft is not allowed? It's not on the list. And it was in the vote last year.

While in principle, the same game shouldn't be eligible for multiple years, the staggered release precedent and popular demand for listing the beta version last year would seem to allow it. I'd be more inclined to have it disallowed if it weren't named as a media pick for GOTY by Time Magazine.

1. Skyrim
2. Saints Row 3
3. Batman: Arkham City
4. Dynasty Warriors 7
5. Dragon Age 2
6. Bulletstorm
7. Resistance 3
8. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
9. El Shaddai
10. Alice: Madness Returns

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
1-Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2-Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3-Resistance 3
4-Batman: Arkham City
5-Dead Space 2
6-Alice: Madness Returns
7-Infamous 2
8-Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
9-Outland
10-Crysis 2

2010-Darksiders :Wrath of War

darksagus

55pbC.png

1. Terraria

qTD6x.png

2. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

kUHfN.png

3. Alice: Madness Returns

5VYaa.png

4. Saints Row The Third

38zh5.png

5. Xenoblade Chronicles

Hzj24.png

6. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

WBsBI.png

7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Vixxa.png

8. Bastion

bAFhJ.png

9. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

W5rsq.png

10. Frozen Synapse

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword // It's Zelda. It's a very good Zelda.
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution // I really wanted this game to be great and it was. Fantastic level design, great main character/story and so much freedom in doing what you want.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles // JRPG of the gen. Period.
4. Assassin's Creed Revelations // The series is getting a bit stale and I didn't like the bombmaking, but Ezio's and Altaïrs storyline and the fantastic city of Constantinople still warrant a high spot
5. DiRT 3 // DiRT 3 brought the series back where it belongs: Rally!

2010. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Speevy

Banned
1. Dark Souls
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. LittleBigPlanet 2
4. Limbo (PS3)
5. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
6. Bastion
7. Rayman Origins
8. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
9. Portal 2
10. Stacking

radjago

1. Burnout Crash
2. Bastion
3. You Don't Know Jack
4. Joe Danger Special Edition
5. Battlefield 3
6. Terraria
7. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
8. Bejeweled Blitz Live
9. Mercury Hg
10. Plants vs. Zombies

Tenck

1: Alive Madness Returns
2: Deus Ex Human Revolution
3: Skyrim
4: The Witcher 2
5: Trine 2
6: Bastion
7: Terraria

There's my 7

ZeroRay

1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Took me out of my gaming rut. Best designed world Bethesda's ever made. Just going from point to point in many places was a better experience than many full games have given me.

2. Portal 2 - Hilarious dialogue, clever puzzles, PORTALS!

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Ah options. It's been so long since I played a game that offered so many ways to approach a situation...and it doesn't punish you for trying to game the system. Yay!

4. Dark Souls - Beautiful, deadly, best action RPG mechanics, amazing design...for the most part. Some spots of this game really drag it down from the "Best Game this Gen" competition that Demon's Souls is featured in.

5. Gears of War 3 - What a way to end the series. Excellent campaign, best graphics on 360 and fantastic multiplayer.

6. Batman: Arkham City - Gone is the terrifying atmosphere of Arkham Asylum, in favor of the more classical Batman, which Rocksteady captures masterfully. The campaign felt less substantial than AA and I really didn't get to experience the sidequests much, or Catwoman at all. Damn you Warner, you bastards.

7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Similar to Dark Souls, Uncharted 3 makes some serious mistakes design wise and goes toward a path I didn't want the series to go through. Unlike Uncharted 2, the game doesn't keep you in control practically all the time and forces you to see/do what Naughty Dog wants you to; basically Uncharted 2 made the funneling seem natural, while you can practically see the strings attached to Drake in 3. Oh and bad encounter design, huge step down from the first two. Still, what's there is one of the best games this year. Hype and high expectations are what makes me so critical of this.

8. LittleBigPlanet 2 - Mechanics aren't great, but the campaign is well designed and fun for the most part. Charming graphics and many of the user created levels astound me.

9. Infamous 2 - Fun, open world awesomeness. Terrible fucking characters, they should have all died.

10. Crysis 2 - Open design (though not as much as C1), fun combat, and CRAYZAY graphics make this my favorite FPS campaign of the year.

2010. Super Meat Boy - Dare I say it? Best pure platformer ever made.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; I'd say my GOTY is really close to a tie with my top 3 selections, but the sheer amount of gameplay in Skyrim puts it over the top. I really enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim raised the bar in almost every area. I recently finished up my 1st playthrough at 145 hours, what other singleplayer console game can boast that much unique gameplay? One of my favorite games of the gen. The architecture and design of the game's world is just jaw dropping. Only area it disappointed me in was the lack of creativity with regards to the different types of quests, I thought it was considerable step down from it's predecessor.

2. Deux Ex: Human Revolution; I was really looking forward to this game for awhile and it delivered on all counts. The setting and atmosphere are really unique and the story is one of most interesting, unique and well executed of any AAA game that I've played in a long time. Level design is also noteworthy with most of the game having many different ways to play that are all viable. I didn't think the boss fights were as bad as people on GAF make them out to be. Just a really awesome, memorable game.

3. Portal 2; I really enjoyed Portal and the sequel is really one finely crafted game. The writing and humor are excellent, the puzzle mechanics never felt stale, tons of new clever stuff was introduced and the story was engaging. Was a little disappointed in the constant loading, especially towards the end of the game, and wish there were more skill and timing based puzzles like the original, but those are just nitpicks at what is a terrific experience.

4. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception; Naughty Dog did it again, this was a really enjoyable experience from beginning to end. Most of the set pieces pale in comparison to the stuff in Uncharted 2, but that's a real hard act to follow. Also, some of the writing isn't quite up to par with what I expected, the dialogue is one of things I enjoy most about this series as its has been really natural and entertaining. Uncharted 3's story is a tighter more believable story yet it has more than it's fair share of cliche speeches and some real cringeworthy moments with people really acting out of character. How many people have to give Drake an awkward speech of "you're taking this too far"? Despite my complaints, the art and level design is impeccable, the tech is this game is unriveled on consoles and the attention to detail is unparalleled. It's really amazing how far Naughty Dog are so far ahead of everyone else in this genre. When one of people's general complaints is your game is too much like a movie, then you know you've made something special. Overall it's an awesome game that everyone should play. I haven't dabbled in multiplayer at all really, I played the beta a few times and was somewhat impressed, but not captivated enough to come back for more.

5. Operation Flashpoint: Red River; Yes, it's listed above Battlefield 3. I am a huge fan of the Ghost Recon series and more tactical shooters and this game is what I've been waiting for. I played Dragon Rising and it had some promise, but was ultimately a buggy mess. I thought the campaign in Red River was really well done and memorable, I've read a lot of people online trashing it mainly because your squad leader Knox is a bit annoying, but rather than paint some epic story, I enjoyed it for it's realistic take on modern war and how the common soldier really lives. Its a pretty decent package as the co-op multiplayer stuff is pretty fun, with the main campaign available for 4 player co-op along with firefight, defend and an innovative escort convoy co-op multiplayer modes.

6. Battlefield 3; Lets get it out of the way, the multiplayer is phenomenal. I'm enjoying it a lot more than Bad Company 2 which I put a lot of time into. The game would probably be a lot higher on my list if the singleplayer and co-op campaigns weren't awful. The co-op in particular is just brutal, it feels like something they spent all of a week developing with ridiculously unfair mission objectives and difficulty even on the easiest setting. The singleplayer campaign is a big a step down from Bad Company 2's which wasn't overly enjoyable in it's own right. It doesnt even wait to disappoint, the first mission which is a flashback, is so ridiculously over the top I had to double check the game disc and make sure I was playing Battlefield and not Duke Nukem. I'm honestly amazed at how much of a missed opportunity this game is, so many questionable design decisions and omissions...

7. FIFA 12; The FIFA team more than any other major sports franchise has improved the game the most on a yearly basis for the past 3 years. This year's overhaul of defense and addition of real physics as well as noticeably improved visuals really makes it feel like a new game. They put a good amount of effort into the Manager Mode this year, and while it will never be a great football simulation like Football Manager, but for me the casual player it works. The "social" additions are pretty cool, for earning XP for your favorite club and keeping track of your friend's accomplishments. I don't like the Ultimate Team feature, and now that it's a cause of people being hacked I like it even less. EA dropped the ball in 2 areas, the A.I. is unrealistically difficult on each of the 3 highest difficulties with their players getting speed boosts and reacting quickly to things that your A.I. teammates seem incapable of doing and the Clubs feature was not improved over the gltich riddled mess that it was in FIFA 11.

8. Outland; This was my favorite XBLA game of the year. For a game with a pretty much non-existant story it really is a fun ride, really good platformer with a tough but fair difficulty level and really clever game design built around the polarity switching mechanic made famous by Ikaruga. There are some really unique and fun boss battles and the pacing is really good.

9. Bastion; Really cool little game. Awesome art style/direction. Story starts out pretty slow, but ends on a really high note. I think it gets a little too much praise on GAF, as its a rather straightforward and simple hack and slash just with really impressive and aesthetically pleasing visuals. Well worth a play through, but not the masterpiece some have made it out to be.

10. NHL 12; I mainly play this these days in EASHL with other Gaffers and for the most part we have a good time. I used to play a lot of 1v1 online, but this mode has seemingly taken a big step back in the past 2 years, its too easy to dangle thru entire teams, there is an artificial lag with passing, and they lowered the default game speed considerably which makes everything feel sluggish. All of these things ruin that mode for me. There were very few real improvements to the game this year, they reintroduced real physics which is still hit or miss. Goalie A.I. though has been significantly improved, as most of the exploit goals from previous years do not work anymore and in general they are hard to beat. Goalies are "live" this year which changes the game some as you have to avoid interfering with them. CPU offline A.I. is too scripted though with clear as day comeback code in affect with really keeps the games from feeling organic like they do in other great sports game likes NBA2K and MLB:The Show and FIFA. With all that said, its clearly the best hockey game ever created and one that I have a great deal of fun playing with others.

x. Batman: Arkham City; Unfortunately I havent had any time to play this yet. I played about 20 minutes of it for the 1st time a few days ago and it seems fantastic. I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum and I figure this would have probably placed pretty high on my list, prob 4th or 5th if I had finished it in time.

x. Top Spin 4; Best tennis game ever made. After all of the tuners/patches the game plays like a dream offline and online. The career mode is a bit of disappointment, but its a terrific game to pick up and play every once in awhile.

x. MLB 11: The Show; Best baseball game ever made. Series has been consistent over the years, I really only play this offline against the CPU and it was improved in a lot of areas this year. The stadium specific broadcast camera angles were a great addition. Player models really got some love which was a long time coming. Controls were tightened up, baserunning in particular which was a problem for me in the past is finally responsive, and not as much weird stuff happens while fielding. Great game that I probably should have played more.

x. L.A. Noire; This just missed my list, too bad it really falls apart towards the end and is so formulaic. The 1st half of the game was really intriguing, and even after the sour taste it left upon completion I still enjoyed it for what it was, something unique and different at a time where almost all other devs are playing it safe. This game got too much hate from GAF, it's this year's Heavy Rain.

rCIZZLE

1. Dark Souls
2. Uncharted 3
3. Portal 2
4. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
5. Gears of War 3
6. Little Big Planet 2
7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
8. Skyrim
9. Motorstorm Apocalypse
10. Killzone 3

Jonnyram

1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
2. Catherine
3. Child of Eden
4. Portal 2
5. Bastion
6. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. Everybody's Golf 6
9. Final Fantasy Type-0
10. Dark Souls

2010. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

XxCGSxX

1. Skyrim; This is my first ES game and I am absolutely in love with it. The missions, the scale, the mechanics, the environments, the music and THE DRAGONS. One of the best games I've played this gen.

2. Portal 2; If it weren't for Skyrim this would've been my GOTY. This game is FUN all around specially Co-Op with one of your friends.

3. Gears of War 3; My most played MP game of 2011 and one of my favorite MP games. The Campaign was good IMO but I liked GeOW 2 campaign more, the 4 player Co-Op is awesome.

4. Battlefield 3; Best military shooter this gen, nuff said.

5. Super Mario 3D Land; this is what Mario would've been if Mario 64 was created with the basic 2d Mario mechanics. Really fun and best 3DS game for me.

6. Batman Arkham City; This is a must buy for every Batman fan, I LOVE the Joker and Mark Hamill's work.

7. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D; My favorite Zelda game, best version of OoT and the improved graphics are great.

8. Mario Kart 7; My 2nd favorite 3DS game, really smooth online play and with the community feature this will be one of my most played games until the next Mario Kart comes out.

9. Pokemon Black/White; Refreshing Pokemon game and it's still a blast to play a Pokemon game and explore new worlds.

10. Zelda Skyward Sword; Great game but OoT is still king.

Mistle

1. Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Portal 2
3. Xenoblade
4. Ghost Trick
5. Sonic Generations (PC)
6. Rayman Origins (Wii)
7. Super Mario 3D Land
8. Zelda: OoT 3D (would be higher if not a remake :p)
9. Mario Kart 7

2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns

I'll add more/edit/add descriptions when I have more time. Though I think those are all the 2011 games I played this year.. lol. Only own a Wii and PC, sadly.

My top ten games of 2011, along with the platform I played them on.

1. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) - Amazing turn based strategy rpg. Player choices affect not only the storyline and its endings, but missions, and affect whether or not a character will join your party, or fight against it. Players can also easily return to these 'choice' moments and replay them to see the affects of alternate choices. A deep and rewarding combat system makes this game a joy to play.

2. Dark Souls (PS3) - Punishing difficulty and peerless combat system make this game intense, challenging, and deeply rewarding. After playing Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls), I just can't go back to games like Oblivion or Skyrim anymore.

3. Uncharted 3 (PS3) - Excellent action/adventure game, with thrilling coop play to boot. May not be the best game in the series, but Uncharted 3 is still better than almost any other game released this year.

4. Disgaea 4 (PS3) - Addictive and humorous strategy rpg with a style all its own. Like previous Disgaea games, the real fun comes after completing the game. Post game content is even better than the story mode. This is a game that a player could play for hundreds of hours and still not see everything in the game.

5. Gears of War 3 (x360) - Very good third person, cover based shooter. The story in this game is just about as terrible as it gets, but the game play is great. Gears 3 isn't the best of the series, but it is still one of the very best games available for the Xbox 360.

6. Dead Nation (PS3) *LttP*- Challenging and relentless twin stick shooter, with upgradeable weapons, and armor. Persistent character weapons and equipment make this game even better when played a second time, and online coop is great fun as the game becomes even more difficult with a second player joining in.

7. Dead Space 2 (PS3) - Chilling and atmospheric survival horror. Not quite as good as the first Dead Space, but still a great game.

8. Mortal Kombat (PS3) - Easily the best MK since MK3. Fantastic graphics, especially the backgrounds, make MK9 a sight to behold. Balance issues still haunt the Mortal Kombat realm, but MK9 remains a surprisingly good game.

9. Killzone 3 (PS3) - Great first person shooter with amazing graphics and innovative multiplayer.

10. Hardcorps: Uprising (PS3) - Classic side scrolling action platform shooter with excellent replay value. Difficulty can be pretty high for those of us who aren't experts at this style of game, but a persistent character mode lets you gradually increase character health and upgrade weapons takes away the frustration normally present in this type of game.

x. Honorable mention goes to the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3). - Two excellent games and one good game, all on one disc, and remastered in high def. Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker and Metal Gear Solid 3 would make my list in the top five, but HD re-releases are not eligible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom