• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffyside

Banned
my 2007 list:

1. The Orange Box
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
3. Mass Effect
4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
5. Resident Evil 4
6. MLB Power Pros
7. Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations
8. Super Paper Mario
9. Phoenix Wright Justice For All
10. Sonic and the Secret Rings

i didn't play super mario galaxy that year. that's why it isn't there. i don't think it would change much.

1. the orange box
2. fire emblem: radiant dawn
3. mass effect
4. metroid prime 3: corruption
5. resident evil 4: wii edition
6. mlb power pros
7. super mario galaxy
8. soul nomad & the world eaters
9. phoenix wright: trials and tribulations
10. sonic and the secret rings

i always try to make a full top ten, even if it results in games i didn't really love making it onto the list. i played secret rings recently and my skills had deteriorated considerably, but i dunno. there's still something to it for me.

Aren't you one of those crazy people who thinks Galaxy 2 is better than Galaxy 1?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought one had more memorable areas, but we can probably chalk that up to it being the first one.

Brashnir

my list from '07. I can't really say I'd change anything, looking back.

1. Earth Defense Force 2017
2. Mass Effect
3. Phoenix Wright 3
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Uncharted
6. Halo 3
7. Forza 2
8. Pac-Man C.E
9. Calling All Cars
10. Crackdown

Beth Cyra

Lemme guess what the problem was: too hard for ya, sweetie? :p

Maybe you can at least recognize it for giving you a playground to practice in so that Galaxy 2 wouldn't seem as hard?

Given both of them are extremely easy games save like 4 or 5 stars at most I don't see how that would factor in.

My 2007 list:

1. Uncharted
2. God of War 2
3. Bioshock
4. Orange Box
5. Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
6. Crackdown
7. Motorstorm
8. Halo 3

I regret nothing.

AniHawk

Lemme guess what the problem was: too hard for ya, sweetie? :p

Maybe you can at least recognize it for giving you a playground to practice in so that Galaxy 2 wouldn't seem as hard?

i think smg2 didn't treat players like idiots for the most part, yes.

aside from being more difficult, smg2 also had the better level design and postgame reward. not to mention pacing/level select/hub world.

Duffyside

Banned

Oh yeah, totally. I felt absolutely complimented driving my stupid faceship from world to world, while being rewarded for star bits for simply moving to said next level. Yep, that wasn't insulting at all... Nor was it in reusing the entirety of the first game you're bashing.

That is what's so mind-boggling about you people who like Galaxy 2 more than Galaxy 1. There is no Galaxy 2. It's not even Galaxy 1.5. It's more like Galaxy 1.14.

Edit: Better level design? Like those two stupid fucking bird levels? TWO OF THEM! Or the level that was just ripped out of Mario 64, which sadly was the best level in the entire game? Or the ones where Yoshi eats a pepper and then you get to sort of kinda steer him left or right? Or do you mean the level where you just swim forward, jump a switch that turns the lake into a ice (permanently) before jumping up two frozen waterfalls, which is a totally piss-poor redux of the levels from the superior predecessor in which you at least got to use the ice flower and jumping up the waterfalls actually took a modicum of skill?

2004 - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2005 - Resident Evil 4
2006 - Psychonauts (Europe)
2007 - Super Mario Galaxy
2008 - Littlebigplanet
2009 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
2010 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
2011 - Littlebigplanet 2

My favourites, although it... AHEM... may be a bit apparent what genres I have bias for.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That final final level in SMG2 was pretty brutal.

Too bad it's so annoying actually getting to it. As good as the green stars are in concept, having that dumb comet star pop up every.single.time was annoying as all hell. Took a good 10 seconds to get into each level, 120 times over...then you had to dump all those starbits into the bank.

I've gotten 242 stars in SMG1 three times and still feel like going back to it again soon. I don't feel like ever doing it with 2 again. Both games were still too easy for me, but that's the only fault I really have with 1, while I outright disliked some stars in 2. Mainly the bird and some of the yoshi levels.

Codeblue

Duffy, you're confusing the removal of an unnecessary and useless hub world for handholding. It wasn't that they thought it was too complicated for players, it was that the game was better without it.

Duffyside said:
That is what's so mind-boggling about you people who like Galaxy 2 more than Galaxy 1. There is no Galaxy 2. It's not even Galaxy 1.5. It's more like Galaxy 1.14.
So we all agree SMG2 is SMG but better?

Then how is it so confusing?

AniHawk

Oh yeah, totally. I felt absolutely complimented driving my stupid faceship from world to world, while being rewarded for star bits for simply moving to said next level. Yep, that wasn't insulting at all... Nor was it in reusing the entirety of the first game you're bashing.

Edit: Better level design? Like those two stupid fucking bird levels? TWO OF THEM! Or the level that was just ripped out of Mario 64, which sadly was the best level in the entire game? Or the ones where Yoshi eats a pepper and then you get to sort of kinda steer him left or right? Or do you mean the level where you just swim forward, jump a switch that turns the lake into a ice (permanently) before jumping up two frozen waterfalls, which is a totally piss-poor redux of the levels from the superior predecessor in which you at least got to use the ice flower and jumping up the waterfalls actually took a modicum of skill?

super mario galaxy had nothing that played on expectations like super mario galaxy 2 did. several challenges in super mario galaxy 2 involved rethinking what the mid-air spin would do. the flip-switch stuff was excellent, as was wicked wall jumps near the end of the game. and there's one green star challenge that requires you to use cloud suit mario to get- getting to it needs you not to take damage or use your clouds if you're in a pinch. it's absolutely brilliant.

cloud suit mario is the best power up in a mario game since the leaf in smb3 too.

Massa

aside from being more difficult, smg2 also had the better level design and postgame reward. not to mention pacing/level select/hub world.

SMG2 also had Yoshi, which automatically means SMG is better.

What? It was not "just" ripped from Super Mario 64. The fact that you home in on three levels out of 50+ tells me that the level design must be excellent. I mean, your opinion is ridiculous and dumb. SMG2 > SMG by a wide country mile. Both are great, but SMG2 fixes every single problem I had with SMG and doesn't introduce new ones. Also, do explain the problem with reusing an engine for another game? I'm sure NeoGAF would be all like to know what makes Majora's Mask suck too :v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom