• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post the most convincing CGI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
neytiri_teardrop_by_tymiann-d32wf2i.png
This right here is probably the greatest CG of all time. As in it literally looks like a physical being that is right there on a set. It's incredible, transcends CG. And to think it was originally a deleted scene. :lol

More than likely the entire sequels will looks that good if not better. orz

Dead

well not really...yet
Once they put paint on their faces, Avatar goes to a whole other level.
Yeah, the last quarter of the film clearly looks the best. I doubt the face paint magically makes it look more real tho :lol

I wonder if its a case of those are the scenes they spent the most time on, or the scenes they worked on the latest, thus had the best grasp on. Or maybe a combo of both.

Yeah, the last quarter of the film clearly looks the best. I doubt the face paint magically makes it look more real tho :lol

I wonder if its a case of those are the scenes they spent the most time on, or the scenes they worked on the latest, thus had the best grasp on. Or maybe a combo of both.

I think that their alien skin looks convincing yet unfamiliar, and that paint somehow sells it more to me for some reason (maybe because it is covering the bio-luminescent dots?)

1) I've seen the movie, thank you very much. By smooth I didn't mean the motion but the blurriness and lack of imperfections/detail.

2) What does the size have to do with anything? I was talking about the texture, colors and lighting

One thing is that DPs usually try to avoid that lighting if they had the tools to do so.

any movie where it does not stand out that it is cgi is the good cgi. jp and district 9 are good.

avatar i was out from first scene. it felt too plastic.

injurai

Banned
This right here is probably the greatest CG of all time. As in it literally looks like a physical being that is right there on a set. It's incredible, transcends CG. And to think it was originally a deleted scene. :lol

More than likely the entire sequels will looks that good if not better. orz

The characters were really great. In fact most of the movie had incredible CGI. Except that first jungle scene against that Thanator. There is some really fucked up shaders going on and the lighting looks really off.

injurai

Banned
Ironic that you used these words. I've always found the animation to the be the weakest part of Avatar.
The textures are nice and the lighting is nice, but the animation always looks a bit off.

neytiripaintturnflyiqjeu.gif

Braids are either incredibly heavy or they're made of pipe cleaners. Head-Flower has petals of super strength. Necklaces aren't affected by wind at all. Wind has no effect on her eyes or face, and she doesn't appear to have any special wind-protecting eyelids.

972_avatar1b.gif

Tail flapping around like it has a mind of its own. Lifeless eyes that don't narrow or move to increase aim. She also has some weird feather/flower thing growing out of her right shoulder.

Eyelids don't scrunch up at all, even though the bridge of the nose indicates his whole face should be crinkled in agony. His hair also doesn't fall properly when he turns his head.

untitled-24js0o.gif

Lazily floating along before passing the tree, then sudden increase of speed to "slam" into the root. Water looks like jello in the foreground. Water speed also doesn't match the 'floating' speed or the 'slamming' speed.

It's rather telling, though, that such tiny details have to be focused on in order to see flaws. The movie is definitely the best CGI out there, but I can see why it doesn't quite look right to people.

So much wahjah...

Avatar's CGI is on about 10 higher levels than most of the other CGI in this thread.

Sure some things look out of touch, but what you're pointing out is a blemish on the bonnet of a Ferrari.

Most of the other CGI in this thread is a Ford Focus, or Kia.

Anyway I have a soft spot for directors that go the extra mile, Cameron not only managed to film an entire futuristic world, but he created everything in it, with a purpose and reason. Every screen, dial, weapon, accessories had a designed purpose outside of 'looks cool'.

God knows how long he spent just designing the starship that got them to the planet.

Interstellar Vehicle Venture Star

Every component on that ship had a purpose, it wasn't just fancy lumps and bumps added to look cool. The thing was thought out and designed as a real ship.

The attention to detail in his films is second to none.

I feel like Tangled deserves a mention. Best looking animated movie ever! The warm colours! The hair and dress animations! The fascial expressions! LAWD! o_O

pF5M4k4.jpg
GPHoL4C.jpg

Avatar also had the absolute best explosions ever. Not just in a CG sense. The sound of them was phenomenal. You felt that shit every time an H.E missile hit Home Tree or the bomber went down.

Michael Bay's explosions are farts next to this.

One of my favorite shots in Avatar is Jake wiping the mud off the side of his face and checking his tongue. Can't make a gif of it but it looks damn amazing in motion.

avatar_jake_sully_edit_by_pimperius-d49gb3x.png

Baci

Banned
As crappy a movie as Avatar is, the realism is top notch, at least in the characters. Sometimes the environments look a little cartoony, but most of the time, its amazing looking.

nOoblet16

Avatar also had the absolute best explosions ever. Not just in a CG sense. The sound of them was phenomenal. You felt that shit every time an H.E missile hit Home Tree or the bomber went down.

Michael Bay's explosions are farts next to this.

Well that maybe because Bay uses practical effects for explosions, in fact if a scene is possible to do with practical effects he'd do it using those instead of CGI.

Kinyou

Cool, thanks!

That always bothered me about this scene from MI3 too:

NT3PW17.jpg

Why does the explosion behind him throw him to the right (his left)?
btw. during that bridge scene all the water was added per green screen

mission_impossible_3.e9c8h.jpg

Really surprised me when I watched the making of.

Randam

so not very convincing.
make up whould have been more convincing.
at least for the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom