• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

spongepatrick.jpg

The armor you find on the sewers have the best stats of the entire game till late game, good luck

horkrux

You don't beat them again and again, you simply run past them and fight the things you haven't beaten yet. If you keep trying to kill everything in your path, you're going to have a bad time.

DS2 wasn't just criticized for the number of enemies, but also because it was difficult to handle them. No such excuse in Bloodborne, where you're always agile.

DarkKyo

I thought the start was one of the best parts of the game to be honest. Makes you learn it until you're comfortable and confident enough to get through it.

MikeBison

I heard you out.

But naw.

"I suck, therefore this game is awful"

It's awesome. Dripping with atmosphere, subtle music and excellent level design. It's a crazy strong opening.

ajjow

You are right OP.

I just kept playing because neogaf told me the game was amazing. Well, the game will become better and better until you fall addicted to it.

But it's a fact: the beggining is terrible for people who never played this games before.

The story is shit too. Forget about it. It wasn't made to make sense and the way it's presented is terrible. I needed a guide to comprehend what I was supposed to understand.

Anyway, it's the best gameplay of the generation. However I prefer witcher3 as the game of generation. Bloodborne was my GOTG until recently.

Wereroku

I don't know what a Point of Insight or a Cleric beast is. I know that I'd like to level up after fighting 40 enemies.

The beginning area is supposed to teach you that you don't need to fight every enemy. Just dodge through everyone and you will eventually end up at the bridge. Insight is a currency they will teach you later but it allows you to see things like the doll. Just trust us and run through the enemies. Until you encounter the first boss.

Bedlam

Yeah no, OP. There are challenging situations in this game that might border on unfair for some players but this is not one of those.

You're doing something wrong. You might want to up your situational awareness and don't just run through groups of enemies!

Toxi

Banned
Against crowds: If you have the axe, use the 2-handed charged spin. If you have the cane, use whip mode's range. If you have the saw cleaver, abuse the damage, range, health regen of the transforming attack.

I don't know what a Point of Insight or a Cleric beast is. I know that I'd like to level up after fighting 40 enemies.

Maybe I'm too passive, yeah. The thing is whenever I'm at the same spot the enemies sometimes don't notice me and sometimes just run to me guns blazing, all of them. Sometimes even when I try to lure someone with a pebble to single them out. It's just really inconsistent in my experience.

I don't have a problem dying a lot. What i do have a problem with is dying a lot with the huge ass corridor with 15 or so enemies in it between me and my next objective. DS 2 got rightfully critizised for that stuff and just because the corridor is wider and there are more enemies in it doesn't mean it's better all of a sudden.

Leveling up isnt gonna make you better at this game dude.

Maybe learn the level or something, jeesh. Explore or something.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
You don't have to engage. That part of the game can be weirdly overwhelming and I actually got stuck there for hours. I feel like Bloodborne's defense system sometimes comes down to simply booking it until you're in a relatively safe area. It's almost like a Dark Souls dragon encounter in that way but telegraphed poorly if that was the intent.

The amount of ways to die is crazy though. There's huntsmen flanking you, there's snipers, there's a dog that will pursue you, there's the patrolmen that can get you from the corridor, around the gate you can get overwhelmed by the crows, and finally there's the ogre that you absolutely cannot sneak past because he'll always turn around. After that you have to deal with more patrolmen with dogs.

Hazmat

It's hard, and that area is pretty damn tough. That said, whining about not being able to level is irrelevant. Levels wouldn't really get you past there much easier. You're frustrated and trying to blame it on the game, when the game set that as a realistic challenge. Keep at it.

kikiribu

Some think Bloodborne wasn't so hard, some think it was. Opinions, how do they work.

Get good. Your thread title just makes you seem desperate. I platinumed the game twice and thought it was the perfect difficulty for a game and wish all games were like it.

Are you trying to play the game like Souls or something? You do realize turtle style isn't going to help you in this game, right?

The great thing about the beginning of Bloodborne is that it actually forces you to get good. No grinding until you're over leveled, no cheesing behind a shield, just pure gameplay.

It makes for a better experience in the long run.

ajjow

The armor you find on the sewers have the best stats of the entire game till late game, good luck

That's another problem I have with the game. The armor status are terrible. The only moment i changed was fighting that eletric beast by the end of the game.

jviggy43

Hear me out here please. I played through Dark Souls three times, it was challenging but manageable, NG++ as well. Now I'm here and wonder what the hell is going wrong. I simply can't advance to the second Lantern, wherever that thing is.

And even if i would find it I still can't invest anything in better stats because of the genius decision to hide an item somewhere that you need to start leveling up.

I die everytime at the spot where the giant thing is pounding against the gate at the well where 2 hounds and 3 or 4 people are and then I have to beat that way too long corridor with way too many enemies again and again. Dark Souls 2 was critizied for that, but it's nothing against this POS corridor. Somehow half of them always notice me when I try to sneak past them as well.

Those people at the well also manage to spot me even tho I only try to lure one of them via a pebble. The detection system is janky af.

After the 7th time running along that corridor I'm close to giving up and it's a shame because I would actually enjoy the game if I would find that second save spot and if the game would let me invest my freaking xp.

The second lantern is probably one of the easiest bonfires/lanterns to come across in any souls game. Like you literally can't miss it if youve made your way past the werewolf and a few regular enemies.

You need insight to level up, not an item.

The spot youre dying at puts you past the second lantern (I assume you meant to say the 3rd now). Theres a shortcut to the second lantern which you surely activated near the area youre in just like in all other souls' games.

Youre going to need to git gud now if you want to beat BB, especially so if you plan on doing old hunters (Which you should because its the best part of the game).

Bedlam

The beginning area is supposed to teach you that you don't need to fight every enemy. Just dodge through everyone and you will eventually end up at the bridge. Insight is a currency they will teach you later but it allows you to see things like the doll. Just trust us and run through the enemies. Until you encounter the first boss.
I highly disagree. I never played a Souls game this way and I think the "run through" suggestions are just a sure way prevent the OP from actually learning the game.

Toxi

Banned
Leveling does help if you are clearing the level out. Fighting the cleric beast at level 1 vs level 5 is a different experience.
It's not really that different. What matters more is upgrading your weapon.
I highly disagree. I never played a Souls game this way and I think the "run through" suggestions are just a sure way prevent the OP from actually learning the game.
It works perfectly fine in that particular corridor though.

I do think the corridor is entirely manageable even for an inexperienced player, but OP sounds pretty tired of trying to clear it.

Steez

Apart from the combat...yes? I have my problems adapting to it but it's not like I'm bad at adapting to things.

You definitely are. At least in this case.

There's no magic advice. You don't need to run, you don't need the axe and you don't need look for a Madman's Knowledge.
You just need to improve and play better. Yharnam as a starting area is pretty freaking cool.

JackelZXA

If you're used to being a big tank with a huge great shield in dark souls or a super mage it's gonna be a big adjustment to go to bloodborne. You need to really learn all of your options and practice your dodges.

Nah, I remember being where you are when I started playing. I almost gave up as well but I kept going and got through it. That beginning area is intentionally tough but it should/will click. You just have to trudge through.

Leveling does help if you are clearing the level out. Fighting the cleric beast at level 1 vs level 5 is a different experience.

Sure, but he doesnt even know how to get to the cleric beast. Maybe explore the huge level before talking about wanting to lvl. If you find the shortcut you can run to the boss no problem.without going past the two werewolves on the bridge.

KillLaCam

Banned
What item are they hiding from you? Im confused. You just have to make it to the "checkpoint" basically. They're not hiding anything. Same with Demon Souls

RetroGameAudio

Neo Member
After the 7th time running along that corridor I'm close to giving up and it's a shame because I would actually enjoy the game if I would find that second save spot and if the game would let me invest my freaking xp.
Don't give up! You are super close to unlocking a major shortcut and the ability to level up. The ability to level up thankfully isn't super obtuse, it just requires reaching (not even defeating) a boss once. Imagine if Dark Souls 1 required gaining 1 Soft Humanity before you could level up, that's sort of the idea here.

I might recommend sprinting through the area that's tripping you up and exploring the paths beyond them. Don't be shy of trying a few suicide runs since they could make things significantly easier for you.

There is a way to level up "sooner" than reaching a boss, but honestly that would take more explaining/ effort than just reaching the first suggested boss.

If it's the big dude that's mainly giving you problems, OP, just remember that your starting weapon's transformed state can out-range his attacks. This is probably most evident with the Hunter's Axe and Threaded Cane, but you can still get away with poking tactics using the transformed Saw Cleaver. Don't be greedy with your openings -- and as with all Dark Souls games, learning the attack patterns of a new enemy is far more important than defeating them. You never know when you might face two of an enemy that gave you a hard time in the past.

Bloodborne isn't precisely designed to allow the player to sneak past swarms of enemies, unless you count blitzing past them with the sprint button. :p Use stealth not to sneak about but to position yourself in an optimal location to begin a fight. If you like to funnel enemies in a tight space, for instance, quietly navigate to, say, a staircase before chucking a rock at someone. Prioritize gunmen, as they like to snipe you while you're locked in a brawl -- but if you can't do so, simply lead the fight behind some manner of cover so they can't get a shot at you. Dogs can be knocked down with a bullet; take advantage of that! But don't forget to give yourself space to retreat -- without a shield, you'll find yourself retreating more often than in Dark Souls if things get hairy. There's a reason why the hunter's dash doesn't consume as much stamina as Dark Souls' rolling.

Just like the Undead Burg in Dark Souls 1, Bloodborne's starting level is designed to be completed with an unlevelled character in mind. Keep at it, take time to study the sections that give you trouble, and you'll succeed. If Dark Souls didn't keep you down, Bloodborne won't either. :)

And even if i would find it I still can't invest anything in better stats because of the genius decision to hide an item somewhere that you need to start leveling up...

never played demon's souls, op? another 'freaking awful' game: you couldn't level up till you made it through the first level & beat the first boss :) ...

vocab

This same op could be applied to any souls game. Just play better and safer. BB is the easiest souls game by a mile.

Wamb0wneD

You can front up the whole mob in the street with ease, just get a weapon with a bit of range and dodge back. Small groups will break off and you just take them out one at a time.

I try to throw pebbles to single out stuf when the group is too big. Problem is sometimes the rest of the group acts like I insulted their families when I just threw a pebble.

i recommend axe for beginner

Thanks, will try.

No.

But seriously are you.... are you trying to go through the werewolves on the bridge?

Also funny story about that second lantern
There is no second lantern, not until you beat the first boss anyways, you just need to keep your eyes open to open up shortcuts

My advice is look around carefully, observe your environment, try to find hidden things.

I tried that once and I'm not stupid enough to try again. Same with that armored dude with the huge ass axe near the first shortcut. (That's really unnessecary.

Thanks for the advice, will try to follow it. It's really bad at teaching the player that though. At no point it seems to be a good idea to just run though everything like a madman. THat's how you can start second or third playtrhoughs because you know what to do and where to go. It's just a bad tutorial area imo.

You are right OP.

I just kept playing because neogaf told me the game was amazing. Well, the game will become better and better until you fall addicted to it.

But it's a fact: the beggining is terrible for people who never played this games before.

The story is shit too. Forget about it. It wasn't made to make sense and the way it's presented is terrible. I needed a guide to comprehend what I was supposed to understand.

Anyway, it's the best gameplay of the generation. However I prefer witcher3 as the game of generation. Bloodborne was my GOTG until recently.

Yay someone agrees with me! I will definetly try to keep playing. It's promising for sure.

I heard you out.

But naw.

"I suck, therefore this game is awful"

It's awesome. Dripping with atmosphere, subtle music and excellent level design. It's a crazy strong opening.

That's not what I said. It obviously has all of the things you mentioned but the start is just awful.

never played demon's souls, op? another 'freaking awful' game: you couldn't level up till you made it through the first level & beat the first boss :) ...

You're right I didn't. Maybe Demon's Souls doesn't have a corridor with 15 enemies in it that GAF advises me to just completly ingore and run through, because that's obviously how it's supposed to be played.

This same op could be applied to any souls game. Just play better and safer. BB is the easiest souls game by a mile.

Except I never had any of these problems with DS.

Wereroku

He knows how to play but fighting everything in a level can lead to trouble. In the first section you can avoid the entire mob patroling the street if you listen to the audio cues. They want you to have more situational awareness. But my suggestion to run had more to do with his frustration with not being able to level. Unlocking that is as simple as running to the cleric beast.

Ricky_R

Breh, your life just flashed before your eyes, and you're already thinking about a new monitor...

Life on the edge, eh??

Toxi

Banned
Always check behind you in that corridor when you can while clearing it. There are wandering patrols of enemies, as well as a couple snipers hiding in corners.

Also, fighting crowds is a lot easier in Bloodborne thanks to the regain mechanic. If you get hit, hit back to regenerate your health.

Wereroku

Sure, but he doesnt even know how to get to the cleric beast. Maybe explore the huge level before talking about wanting to lvl. If you find the shortcut you can run to the boss no problem.without going past the two werewolves on the bridge.

You can't really avoid that path to the cleric beast unless you go to the sewers and if he goes there he will get a madman item or encounter the second boss. I was just trying to tell him how to unlocking leveling quickly.

DrDogg

You're going the wrong way, if you kill those guys and the dogs, you will just get fucked up more by the two dog things on the bridge. Break the boxes near the door with the chatting woman.

^This.

Don't blame the game. Most people find it much easier than the Dark Souls games.

mstevens

You can't really avoid that path to the cleric beast unless you go to the sewers and if he goes there he will get a madman item or encounter the second boss. I was just trying to tell him how to unlocking leveling quickly.

Yup. Several ways to unlock leveling, including a way for every path you could take in that level. There are two madman's knowledge's I believe plus just seeing the Cleric Beast.

Hear me out here please. I played through Dark Souls three times, it was challenging but manageable, NG++ as well. Now I'm here and wonder what the hell is going wrong. I simply can't advance to the second Lantern, wherever that thing is.

And even if i would find it I still can't invest anything in better stats because of the genius decision to hide an item somewhere that you need to start leveling up.

I die everytime at the spot where the giant thing is pounding against the gate at the well where 2 hounds and 3 or 4 people are and then I have to beat that way too long corridor with way too many enemies again and again. Dark Souls 2 was critizied for that, but it's nothing against this POS corridor. Somehow half of them always notice me when I try to sneak past them as well.

Those people at the well also manage to spot me even tho I only try to lure one of them via a pebble. The detection system is janky af.

If u need co op help feel free to pm me anytime.I love Bloodbourne

GonzoCR

I actually think it's one of the best parts of the game. I didn't even find it that hard and it was my first Souls game.

This is just wrong.

As others have said, you're not forced to fight every single enemy.

Also it doesn't make sense to compare it to DS2 since the whole point about Bloodborne's gameplay vs traditional Souls was that it was significantly faster and gave you the ability to regain health and move about, as well as have more attacks available to you. It was designed with a different ethos.

You don't sound very far from the Cleric Beast, an optional boss, who would grant you 1 Insight. Once you have that, you can level up to your hearts content...however as dickish as it may seem, others have pointed out leveling up isn't going to magically make you better, I think most damage boosts come from upgrading weapons rather than upping stats. There is an item in the sewers called Madman's Insight which grants you 1 Insight, might be worth looking up a route to that.

While the game might not be for you, I know some Souls vets who prefer the slower pace vs Bloodborne's more action-y and intense feel, the game is designed differently to a traditional Souls game and it sounds like you are still playing with the Souls Wheels on, so to speak. Something like the Northern Undead Asylum is a fantastic and pretty elegant tutorial area that works to the pace of the combat in that game, the route to the Cleric Beast/First Mandatory boss is largely similar, but teaching you how to deal with varying styles and groups of enemies while having a few 1v1s so you realize you gain health back etc.

It's tough but...it's worth sticking with it.

HorseFD

I couldn't disagree more. I'd never played a Souls game before (at least not properly) when I'd played it, and it felt so damn good killing the first boss and lighting that post-boss bonfire.

Pebbles are your friend in the early game. You can draw out enemies one by one.

Another option is just to run past everything.

You're right I didn't. Maybe Demon's Souls doesn't have a corridor with 15 enemies in it that GAF advises me to just completly ingore and run through it, because that's how it's supposed to be played...

1) trust me: demon's souls had more than enough going on in that first level to easily match that opening crowd...
2) that's not how it's 'supposed to be played'. you can, but you don't have to play it that way. i know i didn't :) ...

Akainu

Wait are you dying at the bridge where the big dude lights the fire ball? Move in a bit then run back and get the fuck out of the way dude?

edit: I think i get it. Yeah it sounds like you just suck. ;p

RangerX

Banned
After I killed them two or three times I just ran past them. I came across the cleric beast pretty quickly. Haven't you been exploring?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Sorry, can't agree. Central Yharnam is a brilliant level and is the best opener in the series. If you were talking about the two werewolves on the bridge, yeah, they're pretty damn tough, but the game still provides you with tools specifically to defeat them. The bonfire, though? Some people recommend to just run through, and maybe that was Miyazaki's intention, but it's more than possible to methodically clear out the area. Not sure exactly what problems you were having with pebbles, but the strategy I used for that area is to let the patrols come to the end of their path, let them turn around, and then hit the closest one in the back with a pebble. Rinse and repeat until only static enemies are left and clean them up. For the large patrol in the streetway, whittling them down one by one would take quite a while - you should be able to comfortably handle two or three of them at a time near the stairs. Use the tight quarters to your advantage and slaughter them. Even if you take some damage, you can make up most of it by continuing to attack.

Syntsui

Sorry OP, but maybe it's not the game for you. There's is nothing wrong with that and I'm sure there's plenty other games that would suit your taste.

Bloodborne is one of the most brutal experiences at its beginning and by the time you catch up with the enemies with your higher level and improved weapons, it gets muuuuuuch harder on the DLC. It really is an experience that doesn't suit most people.

Top Bottom