• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

kikiribu

You are right OP.

I just kept playing because neogaf told me the game was amazing. Well, the game will become better and better until you fall addicted to it.

But it's a fact: the beggining is terrible for people who never played this games before.

The story is shit too. Forget about it. It wasn't made to make sense and the way it's presented is terrible. I needed a guide to comprehend what I was supposed to understand.

Anyway, it's the best gameplay of the generation. However I prefer witcher3 as the game of generation. Bloodborne was my GOTG until recently.
Witcher 3 bored me to tears after I played Bloodborne. Seemed like nothing ever happened in that game and the combat was garbage. Every time I booted the game felt like I was forcing myself to play through it.

And lol @ your Bloodborne story comments. Too deep for you? You realize you're in the minority, right, and that Soulsborne storytelling depends on your attention and investigating since it doesn't rely on cutscenes to tell the whole story.

Witcher 3 bored me to tears after I played Bloodborne. Seemed like nothing ever happened in that game and the combat was garbage. Every time I booted the game felt like I was forcing myself to play through it.

And lol @ your Bloodborne story comments. Too deep for you? You realize you're in the minority, right, and that Soulsborne storytelling depends on your attention and investigating since it doesn't rely on cutscenes to tell the whole story.

Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are completely different games that focus on really different things.

Witcher is all about the great story, the good writing and the examplary world that it takes place in, the combat was imo one of it's weakest parts.

I can see if you go in expecting something to Bloodborne it would bore anyone to tears haha.

TrutaS

Look around the well area, there is a hidden path you can take that is much more useful than traversing that dog part for now.
(Look close to where some raven enemies are)

Wamb0wneD

Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I didn't die until Gascoigne. I don't know man...wasnt too hard for me.

Try and go up the right side maybe?

You mean at the corridor? Lol obviously I'm going there all the time. Running into 10 people seems like a bad idea.

Perhaps you should consider increasing your skills.

I'd be happy if that would replace git gud. Seems more polite and less condescending somehow.

Are you trying to play it like you play Dark Souls?
Good point. I also played it like was dks, dks2, des all of that games i platined on the ps3. Be aggressiv u are the Hunter ripost and slay all of them.the mechanic is quiet a different for victory. Once u learnt that, its so fuckIng good.

You mean at the corridor? Lol obviously I'm going there all the time. Running into 10 people seems like a bad idea.

I'd be happy if that would replace git gud. Seems more polite and less condescending somehow.

Op you'll get it i'm sure. Check out my post I made for some decent tips ( I hope? )

rackham

Banned
You honestly have not provided any criticism other than it being too hard for you. Grind a bit and raise your health

Orb

You are right OP.

I just kept playing because neogaf told me the game was amazing. Well, the game will become better and better until you fall addicted to it.

But it's a fact: the beggining is terrible for people who never played this games before.

The story is shit too. Forget about it. It wasn't made to make sense and the way it's presented is terrible. I needed a guide to comprehend what I was supposed to understand.

Anyway, it's the best gameplay of the generation. However I prefer witcher3 as the game of generation. Bloodborne was my GOTG until recently.

Its not a fact though, bloodborne was my first soulsborne and the beginning wasd expectedly hard. It's not any worse than any other souls game

I had a tough time my first go around as well. I dont recommend that route your taking for beginners. Explore and you will find another one in the level. I agree about not being able to level up without insight for the first time. Not sure why that is the case.

UPRGTCTZN

Neo Member
I feel you, OP. I got nowhere when I started playing bb. Spent hours in central yharnam and felt like all efforts I put in got me nowhere. Felt really frustrated, thought the game sucked and got annoyed with how much praise it received. But i kept going and now I think it's the best game I ever played. I'm really glad I didn't just give up, and it was not far from...

Souls fans are so quick to blame everything on the player is hilarious. Yeah I played through DS in NG++ but I guess i just suck at souls games.

Dude, you're getting waaay defensive. You yourself said that when you try to pull with pebbles, the whole group comes like you insulted their families. That happens rarely if ever once you learn what you're doing. With practice, you don't even need pebbles; you can body pull.

And you keep talking about finding some obscure item in some obscure location or whatever. No. You just need to see the first boss, which you'll stumble to by just moving on in the game.

And we know you're good at DaS, but BB doesn't play the same. You get an abundance of stamina, dodge iframes, and quick stamina recovery to run / roll past everything on your way to finding shortcuts or the first boss.

Why not look up a guide or a playthrough? Or better yet, post in the OT? Plenty of hunters in there willing to help with advice or lend a blade for a tough battle.

And if you're still having trouble pulling one or two at a time, switch to axe, which has super armor when charged up and hits real hard.

Good luck, OP.

Foffy

Banned
Two tips.

Inch your way forward. If you see mobs, try to trigger as few of the enemies in them at a time.

There's a way to cheese the shit out of the wolves before the boss. Exploration helps open this possibility for you. The wolves are probably the hardest early-game enemies, so if they're kicking your shit in, understand that for the enemies you're dealing with at that point, they're the high end. You can cheese them as I said though, and that's really the only way I can take them out early on.

I don't think he should be messing with the wolves this early if he's having problems with the dogs.

Booted up the game again for a session thanks to this thread. Lets see if anyone needs some help anywhere ( or maybe invade someone hehe )

Honestly I think this is one of my fav games of all time.

It's pretty shite you can't level until meeting the boss
or finding the hidden Madmans Knowledge
. Especially when the game throws enemies at you at the start. It'll click soon enough once you start getting used to the speed of combat and memorized the area.

Wamb0wneD

If you played through DS on NG++ and can't get past the first area in Bloodborne, then this really just confirms that you're playing the game in a way that is too similar to Souls. Don't forget Bloodborne is a lot more footsies-based and aggressive. The moment you get corned in this game you'll die. Don't allow it, and try to make use of the Rally mechanic.

Also, have you noticed that you can one shot kill a lot of those mobs in the first area with one charged R2 attack?

Yeah seems like I need to let that ingraned DS combat go. I kind of already knew that but it's hard.

And I didn't notice that nope. Most of the time I just try to get in a fast R1 attack and wail them down because the game throws like 4 different enemies with diffferent patterns at you at once, and i find it hard to read all of them to get a heavy attack in.

Time to use the ax. Two hand it, use the fully charged heavy attack. Even those big assholes will be sent flying, and it'll refill most rally instantly.

Yeah I'll start from scratch (didn't come far after all).

Honestly, the difficulty curve of bloodborne is pretty funky. The beginning is just so much harder than most/all of the base game, and it's kinda weird. Not only are you underpowered, but you're also outnumbered and unable to buy supplies or level. Papa G is also the first mandatory boss and I don't think he does a good job at teaching the basics. He even does things that you will never see again until the DLC (such as reading people's panic rolls after they get knocked down). He is crazy easy to burst down/parry but will kill you in only a few hits. Rush/lucky parry him before he can do anything super dangerous and you will win without any understanding of the fight at al. He teaches offense at the expense of all else and not much else. Personally, I feel that's not a good lesson to teach newbie and it comes back to bite people towards the end. Compared to the slower and easier intros of other souls games it's just kind of jarring.

Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time but it needs to work on that difficulty curve.

Someone with knowledge dropping it. Thanks.

You can easily take out all enemies near the bonfire. Its not super easy but if you take it slow you can kill them all.

OP:

If you are walking towards the bonfire hit the ridge/stairs on the right next to some carriage where a gun toting enemy is sleeping. If you carry on that ledge you will have to fight about three enemies. While doing that a smaller group near the bonfire will start to walk to the big guy with the axe in the beginning, so you can ignore them.

Then jump down and kill the dogs behind the carriages. Then run up to the guy on top of the wall, who is shooting at you. Kill him.

When you get to the area where the big guy is banging on the wall, go straight ahead and roll through some breakable boxes. You will jump down and be near a few dogs, kill them. Go left and run towards a house with a single door. Open it and go outside the next door straight ahead. Go up the stairs and unlock the shortcut to the lantern.

Then just take it from there. If you go back into the dark house, go up the stairs and hang left. Run past the three crows and one big guy and there is your insight. After doing that you can lvl up.

I hope if you follow this advice you can get past this first part.

General tips:

-Your dodges have invincibility frames, use them wisely.

-Attacking an enemy after losing health gives you back some health.

-Shoot an enemy just before an attack hits you to make them stagger, stand very close to them and hit R1 for a visceral attack.

Damnit, now you got me wanting to play BB again OP! ;)

Also, yeah this aint your grandpa's Dark Souls ^_^

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to follow them tomorrow.

WeTeHa

In truth the first slice of Bloodborne is pretty punishing for what it is, you can't level up until you beat the first boss (and you can easily end up taking a turn to the second boss instead before even meeting this guy) and it throws a lot more enemies at you than any Dark Souls intro complete with mobs'n'dogs and sniper joe over there taking rather potent potshots.

Add in the "I keep dying" frustration mistakes and you've got yourself the recipe for getting killed a fair amount, especially if you're coming from a Dark Souls title where the idea of being more passive in the early goings is probably ingrained into some players.

You don't have to beat the boss. You just need 1 insight, which you can get by meeting the boss or consuming a madmans knowledge.
Also, Cleric beast is optional, technically father gascoigne is the first boss.

dlauv

Just reroll with an axe and pistol.

Bloodborne doesn't start well and there's rough design throughout. The game doesn't really explain what you need to do to level up or anything, and you're juggling hunter's dream and the "real world." It's just kind of bizarre and obtuse if you aren't used to something like Demon's Souls.

Once you get acclimated, it gets better.

Wamb0wneD

I don't think he should be messing with the wolves this early if he's having problems with the dogs.

Booted up the game again for a session thanks to this thread. Lets see if anyone needs some help anywhere ( or maybe invade someone hehe )

Honestly I think this is one of my fav games of all time.

Again i beat he crap out of the first big wolf, the first enemy in the game, barehanded. I'm doing fine combat wise as soon It's a 1n1 situation where I had enough time to read the attack animations.

Glad to hear my thread did something positive for someone though!

Hesemonni

Banned
I know what OP is talking about. I actually had to restart the game due to my weapon actually breaking before being able to fix it until the combat clicked. After that, what a game!

Nimby

Banned
If you hug the left side of that area, there is a path blocked by some boxes that is easily missable, next to a house with a lady NPC inside, it takes you back to the first lantern. You can return to this area later very easily.

I actually thought Demon souls was so easy that it was legit boring.
I don't even think the entire game is any fun. Sorry, Gaf.

Demon's Souls was the third one I beat, and I completely agree with you. Felt like prototype Souls more than anything.

Tenrius

It's just compared to the start in DS you have to go through all that bs. In DS you either go down the catacombs and learn that that's not the way to go or land at the Undead Burg anyway. And there you fight some scarcely, remotely well paced/placed enemies until you get to the first Bonfire there, and if it's too hard because you're new or something you can just go to the first bonfire again and level up once after a few fights.

That corrdior in BB is just offputting af with it's 15 people, roaming, hiding or standing there but totally seeing you from miles away even when you're on high ground and trying to get past them without being seen. At least 3 of them chase me up there no matter where I walk. It's tedious af compared to DS, and the fact so many here advise me to just run past everything and get an item from an optional boss so i can invest the xp "in a quick way" is kinda telling. Thanks for ther advice though, appreciate the effort.

I mean I managed to fight the damn wolf thing at the beginning barehanded and beat the crap out of it. It's just that the starting area is unusually tedious stuff for a Miyazaki game and I'm surprised how offputting it is for me.

Demon's Souls was actually the same – you had to beat the first boss in order to be able to level up. My point is that it's not really clear why you want to level up at all. Like, specifically wanting to do that sounds kind of arbitrary

Again i beat he crap out of the first big wolf, the first enemy in the game, barehanded. I'm doing fine combat wise as soon It's a 1n1 situation where I had enough time to read the attack animations.

Glad to hear my thread did something positive for someone though!

Yeah that wolf in that specific situation is there for you to kill him in that way, the wolves on the bridge are another matter entirely :).

What weapon did you pick by the way?

I started with the whip because I knew it wasn't the easiest weapon and it just looked cool as hell haha.

RPGam3r

I agree it has a poor beginning segment, added to with the lack of being able to level.

Oh and I find it humorous that mobs are cool in BB here, but dogshit design in DS2.

Ennosuke

I never had played a souls game before and I did a couple of times at the beginning, but I never felt that this particular part of the game was too difficult. I had to adapt. I can't think of myself as someone very talented in those games, so I don't think there is a problem.

It's definitely punishing at first. But you learn how to get good at it. I mean, my kid was 11 when he had a go on my PS4 and he was getting wrecked by the first set of villagers you meet. After about a week he'd reached the 3rd boss - the game had kicked his arse and taught him at the same time.

Floody

Doesn't just finding a Madman's Knowledge and consuming it, let you level? Don't even need to see a boss. There's 1 that's on the way to a shortcut and a very useful item for the first mandatory boss.

Zeel

maybe you had a turtle character with a greatshield in souls, no such thing in bloodborne, people who are used to agility builds from souls feel at home though.

overall though, it is the hardest of the games, especially the deepest levels of the chalice dungeons, nothing in any souls game can compare to that difficulty.

Kusagari

If you try to turtle in Bloodborne you're going to die.

Period.

The game rewards you for being greedy, aggressive and taking chances.

KHlover

Banned
I agree it has a poor beginning segment, added to with the lack of being able to level.
What lack of being able to level? I remember being able to level up like 20 minutes into the game or so. Even before fighting against the Clerical Beast.

joecanada

Sorry op I'm bad at souls games I didn't even figure out how to equip a weapon at first trying to punch demon dog to death ... And even I cringed at your post .... You didn't find any shortcuts at all ?

13ruce

Banned
I will give a nice reponse.
I had the same issue i died alot etc so i decided to just find the first boss and run a bit.

After you find him you get 1 insight with that the doll becomes alive and can level you up wich makes it a bit easier. You can also access a shop after you have 1 insight in the hunters dream.

Dunno if i responded too late but i had the same issue once you get past it the game will open up and you will get good (sorry.....not using it in a trollish way).

Good luck!

People are just going to say "git good" but honestly the first stretch of Bloodborne until the Cleric Beast turned me off of the game for a while, and this is coming from someone that had beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2. It's a very long segment and the werewolves near the boss are really tough until you get used to them due to how hard they hit and how much punishment they can take. There's tons of shortcuts through the game but to my knowledge there's none that let you get to the Cleric Beast any easier from the first lamp. Sure once you're skilled you can get through it no problem but for someone getting used to the game it's a really challenging section and unlike later parts of the game your only options are either beat the Cleric Beast or take out the even tougher Father Gascoigne. (Although I actually found him way easier then the Cleric Beast) Later on the game opens up quite a bit and if one area is giving you a hard time there's other areas that you can check out so you can level up a bit while still making progress through the game. But Bloodborne gives you a a massive roadblock almost instantly in the game and locks the entire rest of the game behind it. Sure you can just run past everything but for new players running past them means that you don't get blood to level up and have a better chance against the boss so until they just get impatient killing the torch dudes for the 50th time they're probably going to keep killing them so they can buy more vials and moltovs to help with the Werewolves and the boss.

Challenge is one thing but I just think it was a mistake putting such a massive test of skill so early in the game and giving the player no other real options besides just beating it. Again the rest of the game doesn't have this issue since there's usually plenty of shortcuts that makes travelling back to the bosses not as tedious and if something is really giving you grief it can be put off so I think it's a problem that the very beginning of the game where people are trying out the game they aren't given those luxuries.

Wamb0wneD

Dude, you're getting waaay defensive. You yourself said that when you try to pull with pebbles, the whole group comes like you insulted their families. That happens rarely if ever once you learn what you're doing. With practice, you don't even need pebbles; you can body pull.

I always try to pull the one who is last in their group so the others don't notice. Sometimes they just do for some reason. Yeah, obviously body pulling needs a lot of practice, but I'd hope you don't need that in the starting area.

And you keep talking about finding some obscure item in some obscure location or whatever. No. You just need to see the first boss, which you'll stumble to by just moving on in the game.

Isn't that boss with that Insight optional? Stumbling into him seems to be the accurate term. I just think gating the ability to level up behind an item you might encounter way too late if you're new and unlucky seems to be a bad idea. The item I was taking about seems to be called Madmans Knowledge and I recall getting the first takes a guide if you want it fast enough.

And we know you're good at DaS, but BB doesn't play the same. You get an abundance of stamina, dodge iframes, and quick stamina recovery to run / roll past everything on your way to finding shortcuts or the first boss.

Yeah i already acknlowledged that I might have problems adapting to the new combat, but still that first corridor without the ability to level up is some really offputting stuff, and it seems I'm not alone with that opinion, some people who beat the game seem to share it.

Why not look up a guide or a playthrough? Or better yet, post in the OT? Plenty of hunters in there willing to help with advice or lend a blade for a tough battle.

I really appreciate the help people offer me in this thread and I'll try to follow it but outside of that I would like to avoid that kinda stuff for my first playthrough and I hope after I overcome that dumb beginning I can go on my own.

And if you're still having trouble pulling one or two at a time, switch to axe, which has super armor when charged up and hits real
hard.

Good luck, OP.

Yeah someone else gave me the same advice. Will definetly try the axe. And thanks!

You don't have to beat the boss. You just need 1 insight, which you can get by meeting the boss or consuming a madmans knowledge.
Also, Cleric beast is optional, technically father gascoigne is the first boss.

Are there any madmans knowledge pickups before these two bosses?
Good point in the spoiler there but I'd definitely recommend someone having trouble to tackle the beast first before Papa G puts them through one heck of a learning experience.

cakely

Disagree, very strongly.

Going through that first town segment with a new character and a fresh weapon is so satisfying.

You'll eventually be able to easily kill everything in that section with grace and style at level one. Practice your dodge and gun parry, it's the perfect place for it.

III-V

My first play through was with a threaded cane bc fashion. I really do not recall being overwhelmed in the first region, although I do remember dying a few times. I found a shortcut early and did not have many issues until Father G.

And Father G showed me humility.

Amazing game, and don't give up skeleton. This is a great one.

A good tip for you OP, try to fight one of them at a time. Doesn't matter how many you aggro'd, just attack one at a time. Never step into two or more enemies' attacking range, you are not ready for that. You only see people do that because they are good.

Bloodborne's combat (and Souls combat) isn't about what you can see, it's about what you can't see. Such as the attack range of the enemy and the timing of your dodge. If you can ''see'' them then you can pretty much overcome all of the challenge in the game.

Remember, NEVER attack recklessly, think before you do.
Practice a bit with your weapons, memorize the R1 and the R2 attacks of both transformed and untransformed mode (you can press L1 to transform your weapon) of your favorite weapon. Compare them, what attack you want to use and what disadvantage it'll have in different situation?

There's a reason why they give each weapon TWO R1 attacks and TWO R2 attacks (transformed and untransformed.), they have functions, it's not just for show, each attack has its strength and weakness. Find out what works the best for you.

If you use the R1 combo of the folded Saw Cleaver on the mobs, then it's gonna deliever very good DPS (damage per second) on a single enemy, however, it won't hit multiple enemies as it has very limited range. So that means you should only use that attack when you are facing enemy 1 on 1, never use it on multiple opponents because it won't be effective at all and would likely get you killed.

Same goes to the two handed L2 of the Hunter's Axe, it's has good range and decent damage but once you miss the enemy you leave yourself exposed for a second, so that means you might not want to use it against something that's fast and vicious.

Last, practice with the timing of your dodge. Bloodborne only have 2 shields in the game and they are completely shit against physical attacks, so dodging is your best defense.

Tip: Dodge at the last second, ususally right before the enemy is about to hit you. Never panic dodge, if you dodge as soon as the enemy is about to attack then you will get hit pretty much 99% of the time. (Unless they miss for some reason)

jptjiqweksichkvu4n8g.gif

As you can see in this gif, the player dodge to the left just right before the beast hit him, and the invincible frame allows the player to pass right through the claw of the beast without taking any damage.

Also, if you press R1 right after dodging to the left, right or back when locked on to an enemy, It will perform a different attack than your usual R1. This is called the ''dodging R1'', which your character will automatically steps forward more than usual during the attack animation, as shown in the gif right after the left dodge.

This attack is very useful but it can also get you killed, as you are literally walking into enemy's attack range, so try to use it smartly.

I suggest you find a single mob enemy to test this out, lock on to him and then dodge to the left, right or back, and then press R1 right after the dodge. Try to get the feel of it.

I edited my post heavily on Page 3, really hope it helps, OP.

I have Platinum Bloodborne twice on both Taiwanese and Japanese version of the game, and sink more than 600 hours into it. It is absolutely incredible. A must play for Souls fans.
Don't give up on it, you are tougher than this.

Also, if you are just exploring around the map and not really trying to progress further then I suggest you not waste any bloodvials at all, sometime it's better to just die if the lamp(bonfire) is near. Too many Bloodborne player waste their bloodvial without actually thinking, some people even heal right before they return to the Hunter's Dream, which is utterly moronic.

If you are about the die and you are right next to the lamp, then It's better to just die, as you can pick up your bloodstain right after you spawn. There's no loss whatsoever. Don't waste your bloodvials like that.

I have never even once farmed bloodvials during my 600 hours, because I never waste them, therefore I never actually run out of bloodvials.

What makes me hate the beginning is the health system

A step back from Estus bonfires and therefore, really made the beginning feel like a grind

Eria

Are there any madmans knowledge pickups before these two bosses?
Good point in the spoiler there but I'd definitely recommend someone having trouble to tackle the beast first before Papa G puts them through one heck of a learning experience.

Yes, there is two.

Wamb0wneD

People are just going to say "git good" but honestly the first stretch of Bloodborne until the Cleric Beast turned me off of the game for a while, and this is coming from someone that had beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2. It's a very long segment and the werewolves near the boss are really tough until you get used to them due to how hard they hit and how much punishment they can take. There's tons of shortcuts through the game but to my knowledge there's none that let you get to the Cleric Beast any easier from the first lamp. Sure once you're skilled you can get through it no problem but for someone getting used to the game it's a really challenging section and unlike later parts of the game your only options are either beat the Cleric Beast or take out the even tougher Father Gascoigne. (Although I actually found him way easier then the Cleric Beast) Later on the game opens up quite a bit and if one area is giving you a hard time there's other areas that you can check out so you can level up a bit while still making progress through the game. But Bloodborne gives you a a massive roadblock almost instantly in the game and locks the entire rest of the game behind it. Sure you can just run past everything but for new players running past them means that you don't get blood to level up and have a better chance against the boss so until they just get impatient killing the torch dudes for the 50th time they're probably going to keep killing them so they can buy more vials and moltovs to help with the Werewolves and the boss.

Challenge is one thing but I just think it was a mistake putting such a massive test of skill so early in the game and giving the player no other real options besides just beating it. Again the rest of the game doesn't have this issue since there's usually plenty of shortcuts that makes travelling back to the bosses not as tedious and if something is really giving you grief it can be put off so I think it's a problem that the very beginning of the game where people are trying out the game they aren't given those luxuries.

Another person who gets my complaint!

If you try to turtle in Bloodborne you're going to die.

Period.

The game rewards you for being greedy, aggressive and taking chances.

Yeah I feel like I'm not used to normal ass enemies leaping in my face and the fact there are like 5 different enemies in the first corridor. Taking my time and reading those animations seems to be more cumbersome than just wailing at their faces and be done with it. Except their first attack ofc bc I don't want to run into that.

Doesn't just finding a Madman's Knowledge and consuming it, let you level? Don't even need to see a boss. There's 1 that's on the way to a shortcut and a very useful item for the first mandatory boss.

I think I watched someone getting the first Madmans Knowledge as fast as possible. He was running through all and everything for 5 minutes or so. I don't think that's how new people are supposed to play.

Sorry op I'm bad at souls games I didn't even figure out how to equip a weapon at first trying to punch demon dog to death ... And even I cringed at your post .... You didn't find any shortcuts at all ?

Funny because I actually did punch him to death even though I know how to equip stuff. And you cringing at my post doesnt negate all the people that actually agree with me to an extent, in this thread. The shortcuts I found didn't really help to circumvent that awful corridor and the mob afterwards, and like someone else said there seems to be no shortcut to the first (optional) boss.

Top Bottom