• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III |OT| This one really is Warcraft 4

GRaider81

Anyone order from CDkeys?

I never recieved a code despite ordering 4th April. In fact I only received a paypal receipt I don't even have a confirmation email from them (only checked now). Its strange as ive never had any issues with them.

Q8D3vil

The "cutscenes" are running at 36FPS which looks strange on my 144hz monitor.
They are fine when played using MPC, but ingame they are extremely jittery.

I never recieved a code despite ordering 4th April. In fact I only received a paypal receipt I don't even have a confirmation email from them (only checked now). Its strange as ive never had any issues with them.
Received the key instantly.

grendelrt

I got mine 3 days ago, but my friend who ordered right after me hasnt received his, if you find something out please post it up.

Edit: Friend just got his, it was waiting for him to verify his phone number

Palmer_v1

No co-op campaign is disappointing. That was my favorite part of these games. I'd probably never other with competetive MP.

How's the campaign otherwise?

Geist-

Nice OT. I'm waiting for the first major price drop since I have to be really careful with what games I pay full price on (only have so much in the game budget), but I'm looking forward to the impressions from people now that the full game is out.

Stevey

Anybody else getting this message on launch?

LJPlm9Q.png

Happens every time although it runs and launches fine.

Checked properties of STEAM.exe and the DOWIII.exe, they're not in compatibility mode.
I'm on Windows 10, didn't happen with the closed BETA.

Hard campaign difficulty seems actually hard. Some of the AI is surprisingly clever -- lots of ranged kiting and even focusing on vehicle repairs in combat -- which is nice to see. Paired with no autosaves/checkpoints (!) and some instant mission failure conditions I think I might just bite the bullet and do normal difficulty.

On the other hand the skirmish AI seems terrible, at least in the single match I tried.

There is a Diomedes unit in multiplayer, but I didn't shell out the skulls to see if he has his usual...fervor.

Disappointed that the retail version still apparently lacks 144hz support.

Played a few campaign missions and it's decent. Great performance and everything is responsive. I'm going to beat the campaign before I jump into the multiplayer. Overall, it's pretty solid so far.

a harpy

I was looking at the Map Editor to see what you can do with it and I saw tidbits like "single player mod" and other things (Along with the Multiplayer Workshop stuff). Will be interesting to see what people make, I wonder if it supports custom models and such?

How do you access the map editor? I can't find it. I'm sure I'll feel really silly once you tell me.

Memory

The open beta actually shifted a lot of the conversation to people being positive and excited. The game is fine and fun.

it might seem that way but the mods just deleted a lot of the negative threads, even the ones with constructive feedback, the ratio is still the same. But its neither here nor there, some people like the game others hate it and of those who hate it many will still buy anyway lol.

I'm certainly holding off for a few dlc armies to be added, i'm still interested in players feedback from Ai skirmish and story mode though.

How do you access the map editor? I can't find it. I'm sure I'll feel really silly once you tell me.

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dawn of War III or wherever you installed Dawn of War III at, and click on " WorldBuilder.exe"

I was looking at the Map Editor to see what you can do with it and I saw tidbits like "single player mod" and other things (Along with the Multiplayer Workshop stuff). Will be interesting to see what people make, I wonder if it supports custom models and such?

Well if you head over to the "Community" tab in-game, you can set filters for "Scenario Pack", "Tuning Pack" and "Win Condition".

The fact that they're planning to support balance mods and single-player maps is encouraging.

It's too bad their WorldBuilder isn't anywhere near as user-friendly or powerful as Blizzard's Galaxy. Would be simple to re-create Dawn of War 2 gameplay if that were the case.

Tworak

geez the UI especially in the menus is a janky piece of shit. also, the AI in skirmish sometimes stops doing anything, and then doesn't reward skulls.

other than that, about what I expected.

Kalnos

Banned
I love the game itself, the UI definitely needs work though. It should:

1. Be more responsive, the animations just slow down use
  2. Have a more readable font
They also need to add the ability to remap keybinds ASAP, that's pretty inexcusable.

g23

European pre-madonna
Anyone else getting like 5fps cutscenes? Weird because I can run the game on max 75fps no problem.

So all Gamesworkshop related games in the Gaming Thread going to have a Warcraft 4 joke in the title now.
From what I'm hearing in this thread is that the game is having a lot of problems then?

zoukka

Game is fun. The multiplayer is addicing for me, it's not quite DoW2, but a good RTS nonetheless and that is already a monumental achievement. The early game is fast and interesting. Elites really offer cool strategies early on in the match.

Campaign is secondary stuff for me, but the large amount of units makes the skirmishes pretty fun to follow.

Pretty sure Dow 1 infantry models looked better than this.

Umm no.

Kin5290

Out of curiosity, does this game still have the DOW2/Company of Heroes style infantry cover system, or does it use the more traditional RTS "Stand out in the open and blast away at each other" infantry combat system?

Stevey

Out of curiosity, does this game still have the DOW2/Company of Heroes style infantry cover system, or does it use the more traditional RTS "Stand out in the open and blast away at each other" infantry combat system?

You can capture "cover points" but they're nowhere near as common as the cover in Dawn Of War 2 so it's more blast the shit out of everyone.

Game is fun. The multiplayer is addicing for me, it's not quite DoW2, but a good RTS nonetheless and that is already a monumental achievement. The early game is fast and interesting. Elites really offer cool strategies early on in the match.

Campaign is secondary stuff for me, but the large amount of units makes the skirmishes pretty fun to follow.

Yeah, I enjoyed DoW 2 and CoH more, but those games are masterpieces when it comes to the RTS genre. This is still a good RTS, it'll probably be the best one this year. It's a solid game, but it really doesn't feel new or unique. Seems like the tried to combined DoW 1 and DoW 2. It works, but I think it would have been better if they went back to the DoW 2 style of play. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to the expansions. Give me some Tyranids!

ISee

No more cover system.

Jinaar

Had my first 1v1 verses an Eldar player, who I thought was pretty darn good. Lots of back and forth. We would have these huge battles where everything just dies; I was lucky enough to come out usually with a few units, so that little advantage helped over time.

I can feel that I am super slow at macroing/microing but I guess over time you can get better.

Some people are experiencing a bug with the cutscenes. Relic knows about it.

Red Alert 2 (with its numerous buildings) had more of a cover system than this game does. In DOW3's defense the numerous jump-capable melee units do force more clever positioning than your average 90's mass tank rush RTS, but in general this game is very non-Relic in style.

Obviously this choice had to be deliberate, and it's a shame there doesn't seem to be any kind of developer commentary on why they so forcibly moved away from Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, etc. We can make some smart guesses about their thought process, but it would be great to hear it straight from the developers, it could shift the debate in a more interesting direction than simply arguing about why.

I took a break from the campaign to play some multiplayer. Both mirror matches (Eldar). First game I was doing well then got greedy and it led to my army wipe and him getting complete map control. Second game went a lot better. Got map control real early, just spammed Dire Avengers and Banshees. After that I just tech inf upgrades and saved all my points for Wraithknight Taldeer.

not having a keybind setting seems like a weird thing to exclude especially from an rts. Is there any way to look at the keybinds or change them?

Just finished first mission. Campaign seems awesome, but I really don't care for Orks and Eldar....I'm not going to enjoy leaving these badass ravens.

Game runs damn great, even though it recommended the lowest possible settings for me. Running a GTX 1070 and i7 4770K, so I bumped settings up. Runs damn smooth EXCEPT my audio keeps cutting out for half of a half of a second every 10 seconds about. It is really annoying, and I don't know why it is...my FPS is staying smooth.

Also, the score for this game is amazing.

Mechazawa

Only played the first mission, but I gotta say, this Space Marine voice acting is a little dry. Like someone in here said, the Angelos VA they got is a really amazing Mark Strong sound-alike, which is great for getting that Space Marine vibe they had from the TPS they made, but I miss the more oddball voice acting from DoW2(including the amazing Angelos from that game).

I bet this game won't even have Steve Blum talking to himself.

(And yeah, cutscenes are fucked up for me too, but fortunately, alt-tabbing actually makes them run at their proper framerate weirdly enough.)

Only played the first mission, but I gotta say, this Space Marine voice acting is a little dry. Like someone in here said, the Angelos VA they got is a really amazing Mark Strong sound-alike, which is great for getting that Space Marine vibe they had from the TPS they made, but I miss the more oddball voice acting from DoW2(including the amazing Angelos from that game).

I bet this game won't even have Steve Blum talking to himself.

(And yeah, cutscenes are fucked up for me too, but fortunately, alt-tabbing actually makes them run at their proper framerate weirdly enough.)
Gabriel's new VA definitely sounds the part in terms of voice itself, but yeah...his delivery isn't nearly as great. It isn't awful by any means. Just...not as good.

Hard campaign is definitely tough which is good, but I'm not gonna stick with it due to the absolutely annoying Save/Load experience.

There is no quicksave, so you have to open the menu, select Save, type in a name for the save every single time, wait 5+ seconds for the game to save, then resume playing. And you can't save while dialogue is playing so you'll be playing the game of hitting escape every 10 seconds wondering if you can save.

And if you die or fail a mission, which happens often on Hard, there's no way to load a save. Either restart mission or go back to main menu, and only then can you load back in.

Bolivar687

Banned
Campaign is fine. Pretty standard RTS fare, nothing mindblowing but it's fun, especially with the Elite interplay with regular units

The customization and variety in multiplayer is insane. I'm using Striking Scorpions and Warp Spiders for Eldar, who weren't in the betas, and they're so much fun to learn to use and combine with different units and doctrines.

zoukka

Fuck those scorpions xD

I played Orks in the beta, but now I want to learn me some space muhrines! MY FACE IS MY SHIELD (dow2 had the GOAT VO)

anybody know how long the campaign is? I finished mission 6 but dont want to slog through like 30 chapters to get a decent footing into mp. I might just switch to casual if I gotta go through it

Stevey

anybody know how long the campaign is? I finished mission 6 but dont want to slog through like 30 chapters to get a decent footing into mp. I might just switch to casual if I gotta go through it

There's 17 missions according to the OP :v

There's 17 missions according to the OP :v

rip didnt read. ill just do them on casual then. doesnt seem to be that much less of a reward. Kinda want to save skulls and figure out who i want to play in mp. Thinking SM even though I played eldar in the beta

GK_Gats

I love this game. Don't understand Steam reviews, people will give negative reviews just because the game isn't exactly like they wanted.
It scratches every RTS fan itch for me, it's a great mix between Warcraft 3, Starcraft and the previous Dawn of war's.
Can't wait to see the ladder system, some custom maps and maybe more game modes.
Anyone knows where i can dowload replays?

I love this game. Don't understand Steam reviews, people will give negative reviews just because the game isn't exactly like they wanted.
It scratches every RTS fan itch for me, it's a great mix between Warcraft 3, Starcraft and the previous Dawn of war's.
Can't wait to see the ladder system, some custom maps and maybe more game modes.
Anyone knows where i can dowload replays?

"Don't understand why people don't like the game"

"Can't wait for updates to make it better"

Trusting Relic to steer the game is like trusting a drunk hobo to drive your car.

Top Bottom