• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III |OT| This one really is Warcraft 4

Bolivar687

Banned
5TJpNWQ.png

When a distress beacon is sent in the wake of an Ork invasion on the planet Cyprus, the signal is answered by none other than the Blood Ravens, the
legendary chapter of the Space Marines. What seemingly begins as a war of opportunity reveals itself as a matter of grave prophecy, when the Wandering
World emerges from the Warp: cursed Acheron, rumored to house the catastrophic Spear of Khaine. Appearing only once every 5,000 years, the Eldar of
the Biel-Tan Craftworld see its reemergence as an indispensable chance to reclaim an heirloom of their God of War. Only the Farseer Macha can untangle
the threads of fate and see that her people go to their doom, as the event heralds far darker forces than they could possibly imagine.

Dawn of War III marks Relic Entertainment's return to Warhammer 40,000 - gaming's original science fantasy universe. Borrowing from both its predecessors,
it once again reinvents the series to introduce a third interpretation of Real Time Strategy. Iconic returning characters dominate the drama of the campaign,
while the multiplayer escalates the small skirmishes of Dawn of War II into the large scale confrontations of the first game.

2oLUv7u.jpg

wSOyeZH.png

The 17-mission campaign rotates between the perspectives of the Space Marines, Orks, and Eldar. Each episode can take anywhere from twenty minutes
to an hour to complete. Heroes level up to unlock new abilities as the story progresses, while line units can receive special buffs similar to the multiplayer
Doctrines. The campaign also introduces mission briefings to expand the scope of the story. Progression currency carries over into multiplayer.

The story focuses on three returning characters within each faction: Chapter Master Gabriel Angelos, Headhunter Gorgutz, and Farseer Macha. Other
familiar faces like Librarian Jonah Orion and Farseer Taldeer also play prominent roles as part of the supporting cast. The campaign chronicles how
each of these characters war against one another for the Spear of Khaine, while also exploring the intrigue and infighting within each faction.

Bs6fbhk.png

Base building returns, allowing forward outposts and line units to supplement the commander-style Elites from Dawn of War II. Similar to past Relic titles,
players contest capture points around the center of the map to generate resources, balancing Requisition to produce buildings and infantry and Power for
technology and vehicles. Every ten minutes, the match transitions to the next Escalation Phase. Resources generate faster, making it harder for the losing
player to overcome the economy deficit, while objective structures gain more HP, forcing the winning player to commit more desperately to sustain their
momentum.

Successful players will appraise their position at each stage of the game and follow up successful fights to destroy objective structures. Timing, awareness,
and momentum are all crucial to thriving in Dawn of War III's competitive environment.

DAWN OF WAR III CODEX - PDF Multiplayer Strategy Guide by yours truly

2ylWAmf.jpg

MENdPEu.png

Is this game a MOBA?
No. This is an orthodox RTS where you build bases, accumulate resources, produce units, research tech, and fight over strategic points. Elite units play
a large role in combat for sure but you do not level them up, buy items, or assign skill points, and you control up to three at a time. What this game
borrows from MOBAs is the momentum mechanics you can use to extend leads or stage comebacks.

This game is better understood as a streamlined Warcraft III. You don't have to summon heroes and level them up against PvE AI enemies, you call in
progressively stronger and visually bigger Elites as the conflict escalates. You don't have to multitask harvesting resources, scouting the map, or
harassing your enemy's outposts and supply lines. You're naturally doing all of these things at the same time as your army roams around the center of
the map contesting capture points in classic DoW fashion.

Will this support modding or Steam Workshop?
The multiplayer map editor will be included at launch.

How many races are in the game?
Three at launch - Space Marines, Orks and Eldar. The studio hopes to introduce more through expansions as they have in the past. Players have noticed
there are already assets for Necrons and Imperial Guard, so they might be the first to get added. Note that the Doctrines also provide a great degree of
variety within each of the three races.

Is there an army painter?
Of course!

one_army_to_rule.jpg

Is there co-op in the campaign or a Last Stand mode
The campaign is single player and there is no Last Stand as of the vanilla launch.

eBFt6qJ.png

Cinematic Announcement Trailer
Real Time 'Prophecy of War' Trialer
Space Marine Campaign Cinematic
Ork Campaign Cinematic
Eldar Campaign Cinematic

lRPINRV.png

NeoGAF Review Thread
Metacritic: 81 based on 37 Reviews
GameRankings: 79.67%
Open Critic: 82 based on 28 Reviews, top 13.7% of games scored

IpKaiFung

"This one really is Warcraft 4" are you taking the piss?

Relic's post launch support is so bad compared to Blizzard's the comparison is farcical.

Not to mention the shady business model for the game hasn't been revealed.

If they go down the Company of Heroes 2 route for their monetisation plans this game is done for.

Zackat

Relic's post launch support is so bad compared to Blizzard's the comparison is farcical.

If they go down the Company of Heroes 2 route for their monetisation plans this game is done for.
Oh ffs

Nice OT. Will be picking this up sometime soon

LOL. The Grim Darkness.

God these Warhammer games stories are so hilariously serious. Unless it's some kind of ironic parody I'm missing.

I'm playing the Android game and the dialog is hilarious.

LOL. The Grim Darkness.

God these Warhammer games stories are so hilariously serious. Unless it's some kind of ironic parody I'm missing.

It kinda is. It's shlock and they know it. I mean, Space Orcs kinda gives it away lol.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Man that thread subtitle is quite presumptuous.
I was going to buy this for the SP and friends vs Comp multiplayer but it seems not that great.

So hyped for this, loved my time in the Beta, now just eagerly waiting for the launch to play this beast.

Also, for the people judging the title of this thread for calling it "Warcraft 4"... have you even played the beta? It does feel a lot like Warcraft 4, at least to me. (Also, it's obviously a joke.)

I think you're reading a little too into it with the title.

remz

I initially hated the beta but by the end of it I was kind of into it while playing as orks. A lot to learn and manage though, tbh even after I played so many games of DOW2 I still felt lost. I think I'm going to buy it now even though I wasn't initially.

a harpy

Yeah, the game does remind me of Warcraft 3 more than any other RTS. Still, the title is obviously a joke about the Total War: Warhammer thread title and not a commentary on DoW 3.

I'm sad the game isn't getting a midnight release. I'm really excited for it. The open beta was a lot of fun. I thought it had a lot of depth.

DoW1 was so good, DoW2 and DoW2 CR were 2 of my favourite ever, even DoW2 Ret being mediocre cant bring me down!

I bought this no questions asked. I cant wait to play it.

Mechazawa

Hoping for the glorious return of Diomedes and that they didn't neuter his incessant shittalking.

THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?

frontovik

Banned
Highly enjoyed the original Dawn of War and the Company of Heroes games .. but I'll be passing on this one. From what I've read about the gameplay, it's not for me.

Tacitus_

LOL. The Grim Darkness.

It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries The Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

ISee

Highly enjoyed the original Dawn of War and the Company of Heroes games .. but I'll be passing on this one. From what I've read about the gameplay, it's not for me.

Gameplay is serviceable and not bad per se, the problem is: It doesn't feel very WH40kish and is a big step back from DoW 2 and even from DoW. It is less about positioning, cover and upgrade paths and very much about managing (devastating) super powers. Of course there are still "stone scissors paper" mechanics in DoW 3 but combat plays a lot more like old school Command and Conquer, but with three OP and unique heroes per side.
It's fun in some ways and it brings something new to the DoW franchise, but take the 40k skin away and you're left with a generic RTS and the 40k skin isn't even very good to begin with.

I should get a 'free' Asus code for the game (soon) and I'm still a bit intrigued to use it, just because I love the 40k settings, but the reasonable me screams:"Don't be an idiot, sell it for 30€ on ebay!."

54-46!

One thing that really bugs me with what I've seen so far is the bloated UI, I'm referring to the colorful highlights around units, spells, objectives and icons - can you disable most of that stuff ?

I want 40K grit.

One thing that really bugs me with what I've seen so far is the bloated UI, I'm referring to the colorful highlights around units, spells, objectives and icons - can you disable most of that stuff ?

I want 40K grit.

You can disable most of the UI actually and even turn off the silhouettes around the units, or have them fade after a few seconds.

Memory

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this considering it's out today?

It was DOA after the private beta, the open beta cemented it's fate. Steam and Relic forums are a buzz but it's 85% negative.

Lots of hyperbole but most of it is valid criticism as the game is very weak even without comparing it to recent RTS or the rest of the franchise.

It's a damn shame really.

leng jai

The original DoW is one of my favourite RTS games ever. On paper this should be one of my most anticipated games this year but fuck, it looks so lacklustre.

a harpy

It was DOA after the private beta, the open beta cemented it's fate. Steam and Relic forums are a buzz but it's 85% negative.

Lots of hyperbole but most of it is valid criticism as the game is very weak even without comparing it to recent RTS or the rest of the franchise.

It's a damn shame really.

The open beta actually shifted a lot of the conversation to people being positive and excited. The game is fine and fun.

Sweet, waiting for this to unlock.
Collectors Edition arrived today.

This looks awesome. I really wanted to get that but I couldn't justify it among all my other dumb purchases this year already. I wish I could get the wall scrolls separate because I have lots of space to hang stuff up in now.

Stevey

Yeah it's bigger than I was expecting as well.
Also, completely forgot that the wall banners were in it, so that was a nice surprise.

Q8D3vil

Fuck, me and my friend caved in and bought it.
Fuck that Dow 2 nostalgia man. Now i really hope they balance it quickly and make the HUD cleaner.

The open beta actually shifted a lot of the conversation to people being positive and excited. The game is fine and fun.

It killed it for me as well. I was concerned but I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and tried the beta. Just found it so bad.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nice to see Relic has put a ton of effort into optimizing their engine. This is running smoother at max settings for me then COH2 or even DOW2 does.

Jinaar

I have it maxed as well and sitting comfortably at 60FPS. First mission was fun. Graphics are great, voice acting is nothing to scoff at (Sounds like Mark Strong is doing Gabriel or someone REALLY close to his voice).

Would be fun to get fellow Gaffers playing MP for some matches.

Just for the uninformed, the subtitle on the Total War: Warhammer OT was WAAAAGHCraft 4. That's what its referencing. So dial it back a bit.

On topic: so far liking the game significantly more than I thought I would. I think a lot of my misgivings where mostly just do to how different it is but actual hands on time shows that a lot of what I like about the series carries on in one way or another. I don't like ALL the changes and so far I'm not sure this will oust DoW2 but, as is, I'm having a good time.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
so who else got this? any discord server for multi?

Didn't realize the full game had so many more elites in multiplayer, seems it also has workshop support for maps.

add me on steam for some mutli shennigans.

berzerk880 - steam id.

seems it also has workshop support for maps.

I was looking at the Map Editor to see what you can do with it and I saw tidbits like "single player mod" and other things (Along with the Multiplayer Workshop stuff). Will be interesting to see what people make, I wonder if it supports custom models and such?

Top Bottom