• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Audioboxer

At least it’s not the same reviewer, because if it was...

The HDR lighting is bonkers. It even makes a difference on my 2015 TV. Both games still have some rough edges on tracks, but that is the price for 60FPS. Sports biggest fail is no weather. To try and sum up the graphics as not that great though is a bit eyebrow raising. The attention to detail in a PD game is painstaking. Maybe so much so their studio which refuses to outsource cannot handle it within reasonable time frames.

Leadergamer 7/10 (FM7 is 10/10 for comparison)
https://leadergamer.com.tr/2017/10/17/gran-turismo-sport-inceleme/

/also runs

Not so much there. Sport was always going to get raked over the coals for cutbacks on content. The graphics downplaying is more /runs

The HDR lighting is bonkers. It even makes a difference on my 2015 TV. Both games still have some rough edges on tracks, but that is the price for 60FPS. Sports biggest fail is no weather. To try and sum up the graphics as not that great though is a bit eyebrow raising.

Some people need particles flying in their face and lens flare everywhere. Anything less is "drab", "sterile", "soulless" etc.

Shaneus

The Gamespot WIP-Review seems to be a perfect example for all those incoming and inevitable "I don't like this change"-Reviews.
Seems a lot of places will base their opinion of the game comparing it to it's predecessors, rather than on it's own merits. Forza markedly improved on the last iteration, GTS has changed the direction of the series completely.

I'm pretty happy about that, because it means outside of graphics, there are very few ways to compare the two games.

Kudos to PD for going out on a limb.

Not Drake

At least it’s not the same reviewer, because if it was...

...then he would be entitled to his opinion considering he praises Forza for stuff that's not in GTS (weather for example). I disagree with saying "car models and the lighting are great, but if you’re looking for bells and whistles, you won’t find them here". Cars and lighting are bells and whistles. I can respect the opinion though.

absence of purpose really made this game worse

This on the other hand is just silly and comparable with "corridor racer" from Driveclub launch.

Audioboxer

Some people need particles flying in their face and lens flare everywhere. Anything less is "drab", "sterile", "soulless" etc.

Well, Driveclub getting called soulless was pretty funny. That game was a broken mess (for reviews/launch) but Evolution Studios gave PD a run for their money with attention to detail and their weather implementation. Sure, it was at 30FPS, but it was their first attempt at proper realism coming off of things like Motorstorm.

The number one concern in these sim games when it comes to visuals should be trying to replicate real life as close as possible. That is what makes it authentic. Yes, it's a game, but it's a game attempting to be realistic.

Rellik

Which is perfectly fine. It's a review. A meaningless opinion with a meaningless number attached to it.

Saying that is just as valid as someone jizzing their pants over the HDR.

thelastword

Banned
A friend of mine(which is a reviewer) told me Sony sent copies like last thursday/friday, and some of them only received it yesterday. How are those reviews coming out so fast then? And why did nobody complaing about dayone embargo?

I'm expecting between 78-82 but this should be far more unacceptable than optional loot boxes.
Have you ever heard of review codes? Besides, the beta was long and representative enough to derive at a conclusion on all the main parts of GTS..

This will potentially be close to 90. Expecting 88.
Ha ha...Crystal.....

Anyway, nice reviews so far, but I don't think reviews matter too much for a GT game after 4 years since PS4's launch.

I'm expecting GTS to be a bit crap as a game. But with really pretty graphics, nice replays and cool photos.

I've bought it anyway.

Yeah, I read that too, but it still leaves some big blanks.

what sort of blanks?

Dont worry, I'm not trying to argue with you needlessly. I myself believe that GT Sport will have Destiny-ish reviews, and a sub 80s metacritic score at best. I love the demo I played, but not a fan of the single player mode, as substantial as I know it is.

Just found that review very well written, in my point of view.

Audioboxer

I'm expecting GTS to be a bit crap as a game. But with really pretty graphics, nice replays and cool photos.

I've bought it anyway.

If you're after MP/online racing it seems its overhaul is much better than the satirised "ESPORTS LOL". The etiquette system seems well received and it should try and encourage mindful MP racing. Or at least people who go YOLO and play bumper cars will be faced off against others like that keeping those that make a conscious effort to race properly facing each other.

Weather needs to come asap though, I'm a little-disappointed PD haven't been open and honest before launch to say it's sadly WIP. Their complete silence is a bit misleading and dishonest. Weather racing in MP adds to the tension/fun.

Seems a lot of places will base their opinion of the game comparing it to it's predecessors, rather than on it's own merits. Forza markedly improved on the last iteration, GTS has changed the direction of the series completely.

I'm pretty happy about that, because it means outside of graphics, there are very few ways to compare the two games.

Kudos to PD for going out on a limb.

I think there was always going to be some reviewers that can't get past the changes, but judging from the early reviews scoring high, it seems some reviewers are not stuck in the past and are enjoying the changes.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes when some of the bigger / more well known sites get their reviews out.

GenericUser

"Doesnt look great"
wait, what?
Yeah, there is A LOT to criticize GTS for, why would you pick the aspect that certainly shines the most. Probably for the clicks.

As long as online works as expected, the lack of weather, time transition, the "limited" selection of cars, no SP campaign, mediocre motor sounds and a fairly small and questionable track list is neglectable (at least for me)

What are the more interesting reviews to read? I'm sold on the game already so just wanting entertainment that I can contrast my opinions to.

I have read the Eurogamer one and reads like a Eurogamer racing review, i.e. it covers it as a whole without getting into the nuts and bolts, highlighting a few bits but you would really like it to be that bit more detailed but has a baseline understanding of racing not just in gaming terms but as a real world sport as well (driveclub review was strange though).

Also does Bloodworth still write reviews? They were usually very good for racers.

horkrux

what sort of blanks?

Dont worry, I'm not trying to argue with you needlessly. I myself believe that GT Sport will have Destiny-ish reviews, and a sub 80s metacritic score at best. I love the demo I played, but not a fan of the single player mode, as substantial as I know it is.

Just found that review very well written, in my point of view.

from one of the linked articles

That, surely, is to come with scheduled events and the nations and manufacturers cups that will be part of Gran Turismo Sport - though how exactly that will work remains fairly mysterious to me for now. Polyphony, true to its own frustrating form, is remaining ambiguous about it all at present. Some clarity before release would be greatly appreciated, though I doubt it'll be forthcoming.

now we have the final review and it still feels just as mysterious to me as it felt to him :p

Wait, "constant internet connection requirement" isn't just a beta thing (which I thought made sense as it needed you to stop playing obviously) but applies to the full game?

Purdy

mjEyDap.gif

I've played at least three times that number of hours online probably, and I can say with no shadow of a doubt that mass crashing is still a thing.

Heck, I can count the races without mass crashing on my fingers.

I'm about the same and can't think of a single race, basically if you can get around the first corner you usually have a chance of a decent race but other than that its a complete shit show.

SgtCobra

I expect the Metacritic score to hover around the 80 mark.

What is this absence of purpose thing?
Something deeper, something outside the borders of traditional race games, something bigger than you and me.

I don't know, maybe he's talking about the rewards or something?

Audioboxer

What is this absence of purpose thing?

Probably the new "corridor racer" or "soulless racing". In all seriousness, possibly a take on it not having in your face level up bars/loot boxes to open or some sort of "gamer" progression system.

A bit more of it is what you make it experience. As in, have fun out of driving, rather than watching experience bars.

Having to buy 2 racers at once makes life tough. I already have very little time 😂.

FM7 and GT:S are both excellent games. Racing games have been on point the last few years.

Great scores.

They compliment each other well. I enjoy single player racing so I am loving FM7 but the online racing in GT Sport is intriguing and I am definitely willing to give it a shot.

shandy706

They compliment each other well. I enjoy single player racing so I am loving FM7 but the online racing in GT Sport is intriguing and I am definitely willing to give it a shot.

I agree with Gamesradar. GT:S is a great game, but as their final verdict says..

8/10 - Gran Turismo Sport is a bona fide virtual motorsport and that’s awesome. But single-player modes are lacking and it’s demonstrably outshone by Forza Motorsport 7 in virtually every area.

I'll be playing both, but there's quite a difference between them in multiple areas.

Not tried the demo? It sold me the game.

Same here.

I have both for this reason. I don’t expect GTS to have a better meta than Forza, but I expect it to have a better community. Game is going to sell tons.

bombshell

Probably the new "corridor racer" or "soulless racing". In all seriousness, possibly a take on it not having in your face level up bars/loot boxes to open or some sort of "gamer" progression system.

A bit more of it is what you make it experience. As in, have fun out of driving, rather than watching experience bars.

It does have level up bars, several in fact.

found a Danish review..

https://www.pslife.dk/review/gran-turismo-sport-577.html

8.5/10

it is actually a well written review..

Thanks, will add.

Car Magazine (UK) - http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/gran-turismo-sport-2017-review/

From what we managed to glean from the game, despite about 90% of it being blocked off due to inactive servers, GT Sport feels like a proper return to form for the franchise.

The cars and tracks all look astounding, the sound improvements are a huge leap forward and the play style is both accessible to beginners yet more than intricate enough for hardcore racing fans. The handling system splits the balance between F7’s slightly more accessible system and PC2’s more simulation-based experience, and is almost infinitely adjustable to suit.

But there are some issues we’re not comfortable with. The ‘no manual save offline’ thing will render the game useless to some, or at least infuriating to others, and block off some of the game’s biggest crowd pleasers at the whim of the servers. Plus, if you’re playing racing game Top Trumps, GT Sport will be left battered and bruised in the ‘most cars’ or ‘most tracks’ card rounds.

What we will say is that we want to like it. It has acres of polish, is visually gorgeous, involving to play and accessible to many – even if it ends up being technically inaccessible to some.

Audioboxer

Thanks, will add.

I know it has some "gaming progression", it was more a facetious take on how if a racing game doesn't have a complex RPG level up system with perks, it will "lack purpose".

From what we managed to glean from the game, despite about 90% of it being blocked off due to inactive servers,

Cmon, reviewers shouldn't be putting out reviews if they can't actually test the game properly? :/ PD, servers should be up for reviews.

Fk I'm in the dilemma should I pick this up or not..especially when reviews mention GT Sport lacking in every area comparing to F7.

I was so ready to try a new franchise other than Forza series.

Tomeru

Something deeper, something outside the borders of traditional race games, something bigger than you and me.

I don't know, maybe he's talking about the rewards or something?

EG said it is the most focused gt since 3. What do I do with this conflicting information? How can 2 people see an entirely different racing games?

A whole screen of nothing but bars.

im_dany

So do you like reviews of incomplete and/or unplayable games?

All reviews should be made after the game resealed in my opinion... everything before that is just a preview.

It is the same with movies... you have Reviews after debut on theaters and not before it.
I thought the gold disc of a game was supposed to be complete and playable? 12GB (1/4 of a 50GB BR disc) is not just a patch.

But you had the demo to try the game out yourself. Why do you need a review??? Surely playing it yourself will be far better than someone else's opinion?
A demo is a portion of the whole game, and they're often from an older build (of up to a few weeks). Then why don't we have demo reviews if that's the same as the final game?

D1 embargos are often in place to make sure D1 patches are taken into account and servers are up and running.

The hotfix for consumers is to never pre-order games and wait for reviews.

This is an online focused game, do you think that it's right to review a game withouth pointing out the stability of the server and the quality of the online portion itself?

Then how come we already have reviews? This is what an italian reviewer (closer to Sony) said on Twitter:
MiumMjo1R0eavOdx4XBO4Q.png

"GTSport servers remained offline until Sunday included. Whoever came out today with his review is not reliable."

Why didn't they just turn on the server for anyone with authorization? Surely if Sony (or any other publisher) is giving review discs/keys to reviewers, they can know their online ID and allow them to test the online gameplay.

D1 embargo can be too easily manipulated to hide flawed (or even straight up broken) games. Servers going online on D-1/D1 are an excuse to not have reviews until launch day, so they're either rushed to come out first (which means not in-depth or incomplete) or they come too late (we all know games usually sell more in the first week than later).

Stygr

Banned
I thought the gold disc of a game was supposed to be complete and playable? 12GB (1/4 of a 50GB BR disc) is not just a patch.

A demo is a portion of the whole game, and they're often from an older build (of up to a few weeks). Then why don't we have demo reviews if that's the same as the final game?

Then how come we already have reviews? This is what an italian reviewer (closer to Sony) said on Twitter:
MiumMjo1R0eavOdx4XBO4Q.png

Why didn't they just turn on the server for anyone with authorization? Surely if Sony (or any other publisher) is giving review discs/keys to reviewers, they can know their online ID and allow them to test the online gameplay.

D1 embargo can be too easily manipulated to hide flawed (or even straight up broken) games. Servers going online on D-1/D1 are an excuse to not have reviews until launch day, so they're either rushed to come out first (which means not in-depth or incomplete) or they come too late (we all know games usually sell more in the first week than later).

Antonio Fucito is a reliable journalist, i can totally guarantee. So basically the reviews are pointless right now.

Fk I'm in the dilemma should I pick this up or not..especially when reviews mention GT Sport lacking in every area comparing to F7.

I was so ready to try a new franchise other than Forza series.

It soundly beats it in online racing and several graphical categories.

Not entirely positive what they’re getting on about with “every area.”

cooldawn

Clearly their racing knowledge is pretty poor else they would understand the inclusion. TAG have been the go to brand for professional timing for a long time now.
That's hilarious.

I can't wait for GiantBomb's review. It'll be the funniest, and most uninformative, of them all.

Yeah, I don't get scoring and pushing out your review. It doesn't make much sense.

That's hilarious.

I can't wait for GiantBomb's review. It'll be the funniest, and most uninformative, of them all.

They are doing so few reviews this year, I doubt we'll see anything. Maybe we will though. Jeff ended up disliking FM7.

Top Bottom