• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Sendou

Comparing the dev Nintendo Switch Pro controller (left) to the final version (right).

C4kIdaBWIAIo1sT.jpg

I like the new semi-transparent look to it. Makes it different from Wii controllers.

Effect

Wonder if Nintendo will be able to track down the source of this. They have to be beyond pissed this information got out.

Man, you're nasty. Wii U games could only use 1 gig. The other was reserved for the OS. That being said, you're right.

Uh and you think that all 4GBs on the Switch will be available for the games? What sort of magic do you expect the Switch to employ to run its OS on? Fairy dust? You can be sure that a very sizeable portion of that RAM is going to be reserved for the OS and that overlay menu. So in the end, Switch will not have 4x RAM as the Wii U, not even close.

If it's a bit more powerful than Wii U in portable form, then why are all the games presented so far, including Switch original games like Mario Odyssey, looking like Wii U games? And Wii U had 2GB RAM, while Switch has 4GB RAM. That's not 4x, that's 2x. Learn your math. It's more powerful when docked, but most games so far are using it to push the exact same graphics at 1080p instead of 720p. It still feels like Wii U graphics, just a bit sharper.

The Wii U couldn't use 2GB for games. It used 1, and the Switch has 3.25 usable. Why people on here are so adamant and confident when spouting ignorance, I'll never understand

If those are your expectations and you don't expect to play aaa western games, you will probably be happy with the switch.

Yep, already have a PS4 for those games.

Trustworthy posters seem to put a docked Switch at roughly halfway between a Wii U and an XB1, which works for me. I played Wii U games right alongside the PS4 and never felt like I was having a lesser experience in any significant way. As long as the art and game design are good, I'll quickly forgetting about missing effects, etc.

The actual fan fiction narrative was playing with Pascal, # cuda cores, and clocks, to somewhat believably reach like 700 or 800GFLOPS, which assuming Nvidia's FLOPS are like 30-40% more efficient than AMD, and a more modern architecture, would allow for basically straight Xbone ports.

Pretty much. Nobody reasonable said it would be at PS4 levels, slightly below XB1 levels was always the max.

Hermii

If it's a bit more powerful than Wii U in portable form, then why are all the games presented so far, including Switch original games like Mario Odyssey, looking like Wii U games? And Wii U had 2GB RAM, while Switch has 4GB RAM. That's not 4x, that's 2x. Learn your math. It's more powerful when docked, but most games so far are using it to push the exact same graphics at 1080p instead of 720p. It still feels like Wii U graphics, just a bit sharper.
Breath of the wild runs a lot more stable on Switch portable mode than Wii U. Arms probably would have to be downgrade on Wii U.

Uh and you think that all 4GBs on the Switch will be available for the games? What sort of magic do you expect the Switch to employ to run its OS on? Fairy dust? You can be sure that a very sizeable portion of that RAM is going to be reserved for the OS and that overlay menu. So in the end, Switch will not have 4x RAM as the Wii U, not even close.

Switch can use 3.2 gigs for software. So, over 3x instead of 4x. Thing is, I already admitted I was off there. Again, you have a really bad attitude and have for the entirely of these conversations over the months. Enough with this persecution complex of yours.

Instro

Well the leak says 3.25 available so that would be closer the 4 than 2.

Well this is pretty subjective. I don't feel like Mario looks like a Wii U game. Now what?

We really haven't seen enough footage from Switch games to really pin this down exactly, but if the rumored specs are true then there really isn't much room for argument here. Modern architecture and engine support alone puts it above.

Also the usable RAM for games is 1 GB vs 3.25 GB based on the rumors. It has 3.25x more RAM available for use in games.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
32 GB as the limit is not a huge deal.

FFXV is not coming to Switch, good luck getting that to run even if file size wasn't a concern.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is not coming to Switch, and I repeat, good luck getting that to run even if file size wasn't a concern.

It's not worth it for those publishers to bring their meatiest modern AAA titles to a system that's too weak to run them without serious downgrades, modern architecture or not. The cost of larger cartridges (perhaps built into the licencing fee) just doesn't go away, nor does the Switch's low power in comparison to even a vanilla PS4/XB1, especially in portable mode.

vern

Wii U only had 1GB for games, Switch has 3.25GB for games.

Of course my number was correct (3.2gb) or close to it, but does this leak or any other yet corroborate it? Still haven't had time to look at this leak in detail. I remember Nate said 3gb at one point.

aadiboy

Yeah, Switch definitely isn't getting Dark Souls 3, I don't care what the rumors say. It's pretty clear most game related LKD rumors are fake.

pswii60

The actual fan fiction narrative was playing with Pascal, # cuda cores, A72/A73's, and clocks, to somewhat believably reach like 700 or 800GFLOPS (maybe up to 1TF docked), which assumed Nvidia's FLOPS are like 30-40% more efficient than AMD, and a more modern architecture, would allow for basically straight Xbone ports. No one was talking about PS4 for sure, but there was a real belief they could effectively match a base Xbone.
Nvidia's drivers are 30-40% more efficient, which is irrelevant when it comes to consoles.

Oregano

Of course my number was correct (3.2gb) or close to it, but does this leak or any other yet corroborate it? Still haven't had time to look at this leak in detail. I remember Nate said 3gb at one point.

Yeah, it's like fourth row down in the table in the OP.

JaseMath

Comparing the dev Nintendo Switch Pro controller (left) to the final version (right).

C4kIdaBWIAIo1sT.jpg

Can't wait to get my mitts around the ProCon. Hopefully the final buttons are more tactile than the previews mention. Some people weren't left very impressed with the feel of the buttons/D-pad.

PtM

Banned
Will never understand this image lol

He's a fucking global, in fact interstellar MENACE. a diabolical maniac with an obsession with kidnappning young ladies and making innocent Toads lives a living hell

But he's shielding Jr. from something rated T or above
Evil people needn't be bad parents.

OCD Guy

No, we don't know that yet. It's even different for lauchgames. Some are 720p undocked and 1080p docked, Zelda is 900p docked. What they do with that power difference? We will see.

But you've just kinda shown my point. I've specifically said that the only difference between a game docked and portable will be nothing more than a different resolution and you've then gone and listed different resolutions for games depending on whether they are docked or portable.

I just can't see Nintendo offering significant graphical differences depending on whether you're docked or undocked, and there sure as hell won't be additional features depending on the mode either.

What are people expecting exactly? Low settings on portable and medium or high while docked lol? Exclusive games that take advantage of the hardware while docked? Additional features while docked? Higher framerates, so 30fps portable and 60fps docked? I can't see any of that happening...At all.

It's as simple as this. Higher resolution while docked, lower resolution while portable. The game is the same aside from that.

Zedark

Oh goodie...specs...that always leads to calm, level-headed conversations.

The funny thing is that the specs here tell us absolutely nothing: they are base specs for a standard Tegra X1 with very limited Switch-specific information. There is hardly anything to discuss about that, so we are basically only doing the Eurogamer vs. Foxconn game again and are refuting misinformation about the pre-reveal speculation.

But you've just kinda shown my point. I've specifically said that the only difference between a game docked and portable will be nothing more than a different resolution and you've then gone and listed different resolutions for games depending on whether they are docked or portable.

I just can't see Nintendo offering significant graphical differences depending on whether you're docked or undocked, and there sure as hell won't be additional features depending on the mode either.

What are people expecting exactly? Low settings on portable and medium or high while docked lol? It's not happening.

It's as simple as this. Higher resolution while docked, lower resolution while portable. The game is the same aside from that.

Yep, which is why, if the whole Foxconn enhanced dock rumor turns out to be true, I imagine it'll be a special dock that is used solely to render games in 4K, not to improve effects or complexity.

Ryoku

Uh, you might want to have a another look at the NX hardware speculation thread. The vast majority of people were expecting this thing to be in the ballpark of XONE/PS4 levels of power, or at least very much closer to those than it is to the Wii U. Tons of people were expecting ports of current-gen games like FFXV and such.

But this isn't true. The highest level-headed estimates were ~768GFLOPS, which at 720p, could provide some nice visuals.

Oregano

Ah missed that on my quick glance. Trying to keep up with the discussion now while I do some other business 👌🏻

It was one of the first things I looked for to see if you were 100% on the mark, I think you were close enough!

CDX

So it says:

Wired LAN - USB connection option, 1 gigabit per second

How are they getting that 1 gigabit per second stat?

If the dock is limited to USB 2.0 currently, and the LAN adapter sold at stores seems to also be just a USB 2.0 adapter ? How are they getting a 1 Gigabit over USB 2.0 ports?

Zedark

What are people expecting exactly? Low settings on portable and medium or high while docked lol? It's not happening.

You are ignoring the fact that, if your assumption that resolution is the only thing that changes between modes is correct, there should not be a difference in resolution jump between for example Zelda and Mario Kart. The fact that it is there means one of two things: Zelda is less optimised for dock mode than Mario Kart (not very likely imo) or they do in fact introduce some different graphical improvements in dock mode instead a straight 720p-1080p resolution increase.

The Boat

Can't wait to get my mitts around the ProCon. Hopefully the final buttons are more tactile than the previews mention. Some people weren't left very impressed with the feel of the buttons/D-pad.
I played a few rounds of Splatoon 2 and USF, honestly, it's fucking amazing. The large buttons and d-pad are very comfortable and give a nice feedback, the material on the grips is very good too. Of course, this is immensely subjective, but I didn't feel that at all.

Switxh uses an underclocked Tegra X1 derivat, so do the math.

I don't understand what that means. It's not my point to do any math. You said you find the Switch unimpressive which is cool because opinions and all but also compared it to phones and tablets.

I simply want a example of a phone or tablet that can run Zelda BOTW or any other Wii U or Switch game that's not a indie without it being streamed threw the internet.

I find something impressive and you don't and made a statement why you don't. I'll just like you to show me why you think this. Tech doesn't mean anything unless it's being used heavily for the topic at hand.

OCD Guy

Yep, which is why, if the whole Foxconn enhanced dock rumor turns out to be true, I imagine it'll be a special dock that is used solely to render games in 4K, not to improve effects or complexity.

Which would be perfect as there would be no real fragmentation, and it wouldn't affect development in any meaningful way.

It would be the equivalent of the Xbox One S, a device that can output at 4k, that's it. As opposed to the OG Xbox One, or the OG Switch dock that can only output 1080p.

tkscz

Take the joy cons off, then ask again why this isn't as powerful as a PS4 Pro

vicZPb3l.jpg

Because it's not $700? People who bring of phones will always confuse me. "Why isn't this $300 handheld device as powerful as my $800 phone?"

Not to mention architecture is different.

Anteo

You can buy on 3ds and download without the games redirecting to eshop? I don't have a 3ds, so I don't know.

Yes, actually the devs cant sell DLC outside their own games. That means whenever there is a first week free dlc, you need to own the game to access their custom eshop to get it.

Top Bottom