• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Miiverse may be gone but there seems to be an option to post relevant info about their game for devs.

From the documents:
"It can be used to post messages on certain topics, poll for posts on certain topic, and otherwise share information within the application."

We know enough about the game by now. There are totally new maps, weapons, new specials, spectator mode, graphical updates, new single player mode, etc. It definitely is worthy of a successor.

Hmm... So it sounds like these news items might have a comments section at least?

Oh god...
hqdefault.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One interesting tidbit:

4.7 EC Applet
The EC applet will provide the following features.
  • Purchasing downloadable content (it is also possible to purchase products only from the Shop, without using the EC applet).
  • Download processing (such as re-downloads and updates).
  • Managing balances.
The Purchasing Downloadable Content feature is the same as what is available in Nintendo eShop. Use this applet to highlight and sell downloadable content from within an application.
In practical terms, it enables the listing of relevant downloadable content in addition to purchase options. The application does not need to keep track of user balances. The applet can handle situations when the balance is too low to make a purchase.

So the devs can sell DLC directly from the games now via this applet.

Uh, you might want to have a another look at the NX hardware speculation thread. The vast majority of people were expecting this thing to be in the ballpark of XONE/PS4 levels of power, or at least very much closer to those than it is to the Wii U. Tons of people were expecting ports of current-gen games like FFXV and such.

Ok, this might be true. A lot of people assumed it would be in-between Wii U and XB1 and I'm sure some of those users thought it would edge closer to the latter. But that's not what you've been claiming people have been saying at all. You're claiming the system is simply a portable Wii U (false) and that everyone believed it was a portable PS4 (also false). The reality is that the Switch is a decent bit more powerful than Wii U, but quite a bit less powerful than its console competition.

Hey now, I mean in terms of quality. It might have a Titanfall 2 level campaign or a Battlefront one. We don't know.

It makes as little sense to discuss the game as a guaranteed to be brilliant sequel as it does to pretend it's rushed garbage.

Sure, but either of those scenarios still make it a sequel, not a port.

It's not like Splatoon JUST came out. It'll have been a full two-years. Two years might seem fast by Nintendo's standards for a direct sequel, but it's not even remotely unheard of.

Okay. So:

Wii U CPU: 14.79 GFLOPS (???)
Wii U GPU: 176(?) / 352.0 GFLOPS

Edit: So it seems like there's a bit of uncertainty when it comes to the Wii U's GPU.
Eurogamer make a guess here from microscope photos of the chip itself as similar to the Radeon HD 4650. But its FLOPs are in the region of the higher number.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

Switch GPU Undocked: 157 GFLOPS
Switch GPU Docked : 393 GFLOPS

PS3 CPU: 230.4 GFLOPS
PS3 GPU: 400.4 GFLOPS

Xbox 360 CPU: 115.2 GFLOPS
Xbox 360 GPU: 240 GFLOPS

PS4 CPU: 102.4 GLOPS
PS4 GPU: 1,843 GLOPS

PS4 Pro CPU: 134.4 GFLOPS
PS4 Pro GPU: 4,197 GFLOPS

It's more like (in order of release) -

Xbox 360 GPU - 240 GFLOPS.

PS3 GPU - 200 GFLOPS.

Wii U GPU - 176 GFLOPS.

Xbox One GPU - 1,300 GFLOPS.

PS4 GPU - 1,800 GFLOPS.

PS4 Pro GPU - 4,200 GFLOPS.

Switch GPU docked - 393 GFLOPS (157 GFLOPS when mobile).

Scorpio GPU - 6,000 GFLOPS.

Switch should be able to get down ported current gen multi platform games, especially if they are using Unreal Engine 4. Install base means more than specs.

What? Speak for yourself. We have plenty Splatoon 2 information.
Goddamn it. I'll say it again for the new page.

I mean in terms of quality. It might have a Titanfall 2 level campaign or a Battlefront one. The improvements may be major or minor. We don't know.

It makes as little sense to discuss the game as a guaranteed to be brilliant sequel as it does to pretend it's rushed garbage.

The whole discussion is bullshit.

It will be as simple as a difference in resolution between playing while docked or on the go.

It won't be any more than that.

I remember similar talk when Laura Kate Dale mentioned the dock holding additional hardware and all the speculation of dock exclusive games.

Anyone expecting higher frame rates, or higher graphical settings (or even crazier) dock exclusive games is in for a disappointment.

Look at the launch games we have already, what is the difference between docked and portable? Higher resolutions right? And that will likely be how things are throughout the life of the switch.

Nintendo to me make it clear they want the same experience regardless of where you play, that's probably why there's no touchscreen features in games....

She never said that ;) She said the dock would do something to rise performance, which it does. It tells Switch to run at higher clockspeeds.

No, we don't know that yet. It's even different for lauchgames. Some are 720p undocked and 1080p docked, Zelda is 900p docked. What they do with that power difference? We will see.

It's not like Splatoon JUST came out. It'll have been a full two-years. Two years might seem fast by Nintendo's standards for a direct sequel, but it's not even remotely unheard of.
The sequel/port discussion is tired to begin with, and I'm certainly not referring to it here.

It's called Splatoon 2. It's a sequel. We'll see about the quality.

It is?

With all the money involved in the smartphone/tablet market for mobile SoCs that feat isn't really that incredible.

Can you point out a phone/tablet that can run Zedla BotW? Not stream to the device, actually run Zelda and other Wii U or Switch games like Mario Kart 8 on it without it being connected to the Internet.

I find it impressive.

Um, you may want to actually read that thread too. People said it could be closer to XB1/PS4 than Wii U, but pretty much nobody said it would be at PS4 levels. There is a large difference between the two.

I mean in terms of quality. It might have a Titanfall 2 level campaign or a Battlefront one. The improvements may be major or minor. We don't know.

You initially responded regarding a discussion about Splatoon 2 being a port and not a sequel, and therefore not counting as an original Nintendo first party game releasing for the Switch. That was the context, which is utter bullshit based on what we now know about the game.

Whether or not it's a good sequel isn't the point.

The sequel/port discussion is tired to begin with, and I'm certainly not referring to it here.

It's called Splatoon 2. It's a sequel. We'll see about the quality.

No offense dude, but this was your first post on the matter:

Nobody even knows what the fuck the game even is at this point, so arguing either side is completely useless.

Judge/condemn/love/marry the damn thing when it comes out.

It's a sequel no matter how bad or good it is.

Fredrik

Before the January event, there were a lot of posters here speculating about the Switch getting things like FFXV or Mass Effect: Andromeda at launch.
Scaled back, not PS4 quality. We're getting Skyrim, that's cool enough even though it's not quite PS4 quality.

EDarkness

Ok, this might be true. A lot of people assumed it would be in-between Wii U and XB1 and I'm sure some of those users thought it would edge closer to the latter. But that's not what you've been claiming people have been saying at all. You're claiming the system is simply a portable Wii U (false) and that everyone believed it was a portable PS4 (also false). The reality is that the Switch is a decent bit more powerful than Wii U, but quite a bit less powerful than its console competition.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the consensus was that it was going to be somewhere between the Wii U and Xbox One. I don't know where people were thinking it was going to be PS4 level, but it was obvious that wasn't going to be the case. How close to the Wii U or Xbox One was the real debate. Without concrete information, there was no way to know for sure. Now that more information is coming out, we have a much better idea of that now.

Ok, this might be true. A lot of people assumed it would be in-between Wii U and XB1 and I'm sure some of those users thought it would edge closer to the latter. But that's not what you've been claiming people have been saying at all. You're claiming the system is simply a portable Wii U (false) and that everyone believed it was a portable PS4 (also false). The reality is that the Switch is quite a bit more powerful than Wii U, but quite a bit less powerful than its console competition.

Uh, looking at what we've seen so far, this is very much a portable Wii U in terms of power. Sure, the graphics might be a tiny weeny little bit better, but you really have to squint to see the difference.

am I an idiot or is it possible that some third party could provide an internet browser on the eshop for sale? It wouldn't be as convenient as a built in one like the 3ds's, but it'd be something!

Okay. So:

Wii U CPU: 14.79 GFLOPS (???)
Wii U GPU: 176(?) / 352.0 GFLOPS

Edit: So it seems like there's a bit of uncertainty when it comes to the Wii U's GPU.
Eurogamer make a guess here from microscope photos of the chip itself as similar to the Radeon HD 4650. But its FLOPs are in the region of the higher number.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

Switch GPU Undocked: 157 GFLOPS
Switch GPU Docked : 393 GFLOPS

PS3 CPU: 230.4 GFLOPS
PS3 GPU: 400.4 GFLOPS

Xbox 360 CPU: 115.2 GFLOPS
Xbox 360 GPU: 240 GFLOPS

PS4 CPU: 102.4 GLOPS
PS4 GPU: 1,843 GLOPS

PS4 Pro CPU: 134.4 GFLOPS
PS4 Pro GPU: 4,197 GFLOPS

Did your notice that article was referencing NeoGAF? The people on GAF who originally called it out as 352 have since updated it to being 176. The major publications that cited GAF never updated themselves after the fact. Wii U being 176 isn't really an uncertainty.

Uh, looking at what we've seen so far, this is very much a portable Wii U in terms of power. Sure, the graphics might be a tiny weeny little bit better, but you really have to squint to see the difference.

No. It's running on modern architecture, it supports modern game engines, and has 4x as much RAM. It's already a decent bit more powerful than a Wii U in its portable form. When docked, it's like four times as powerful.

DMONKUMA

Wouldn't the performance be a bit better tho? Or roughly the same? Of course not talking about increased framerate in portable mode but having it be more stabilized.

komorebi

Hmm... So it sounds like these news items might have a comments section at least?

Oh god...
hqdefault.jpg

Will never understand this image lol

He's a fucking global, in fact interstellar MENACE. a diabolical maniac with an obsession with kidnappning young ladies and making innocent Toads lives a living hell

But he's shielding Jr. from something rated T or above

Can you point out a phone/tablet that can run Zedla BotW? Not stream to the device, actually run Zelda and other Wii U or Switch games like Mario Kart 8 on it without it being connected to the Internet.

I find it impressive.

Switxh uses an underclocked Tegra X1 derivat, so do the math.

You initially responded regarding a discussion about Splatoon 2 being a port and not a sequel, and therefore not counting as an original Nintendo first party game releasing for the Switch. That was the context, which is utter bullshit based on what we now know about the game.

Whether or not it's a good sequel isn't the point.
There's really very little point to the discussion to begin with. The port comments are blatant shitposts.
It's a sequel no matter how bad or good it is.
No offense dude, but this was your first post on the matter:
Yeah, sorry to confuse. I'm not offended, sorry to give that impression! My language can be a bit too strong :)

In any case; I'm talking about debating the game's value. It could be a terrible sequel which makes listing improvements mentioned in marketing a bit useless.

Or it could be brilliant and that would shut up the port shitposters for good.

Will never understand this image lol

He's a fucking global, in fact interstellar MENACE. a diabolical maniac with an obsession with kidnappning young ladies and making innocent Toads lives a living hell

But he's shielding Jr. from something rated T or above

In the mainline games, Mario characters are all actors in a play. It's why they're all buddies in Mario Kart.

In reality, Bowser is probably a good dude.

Hermii

Totally lost in the tech talk.

As long as I can turn this thing on docked and think "this definitely looks nicer than Wii U" I'll be happy. Does this seem realistic?

Not really interested in undocked performance
If those are your expectations and you don't expect to play aaa western games, you will probably be happy with the switch.

No. It's running on modern architecture, it supports modern game engines, and has 4x as much RAM. It's already a decent bit more powerful than a Wii U in its portable form. When docked, it's like four times as powerful.

If it's a bit more powerful than Wii U in portable form, then why are all the games presented so far, including Switch original games like Mario Odyssey, looking like Wii U games? And Wii U had 2GB RAM, while Switch has 4GB RAM. That's not 4x, that's 2x. Learn your math. It's more powerful when docked, but most games so far are using it to push the exact same graphics at 1080p instead of 720p. It still feels like Wii U graphics, just a bit sharper.

RedToad64

A Nintendo Account can be linked to multiple Switches BUT save data is not automatically synchronised
I hope this implies that I can play my games on any Switch device I am currently signed in to.

Shiggy

You can buy on 3ds and download without the games redirecting to eshop? I don't have a 3ds, so I don't know.

When buying downloadable content, the game opens a popup within which you then continue the purchase. The process is the same as with the eShop, but you stay in the game app and the eShop app doesn't open.

Switxh uses an underclocked Tegra X1 derivat, so do the math.

So does the Shield TV apparently. Can anyone point out a portable device which can run at specs in the OP with the EG clocks without throttling for 3 hours?

If it's a bit more powerful than Wii U in portable form, then why are all the games presented so far, including Switch original games like Mario Odyssey, looking like Wii U games? And Wii U had 2GB RAM, while Switch has 4GB RAM. That's not 4x, that's 2x. Learn your math. It's more powerful when docked, but most games so far are using it to push the exact same graphics at 1080p instead of 720p. It still feels like Wii U graphics, just a bit sharper.

The Wii U had 1GB of RAM usable by games, the Switch has 3.2.

And I would say ARMS looks far nicer than any game on Wii U. It looks like it could easily be an XB1 game to someone who doesn't know what system it was on.

Man, you have a really bad attitude. Wii U games could only use 1 gig. The other gig was reserved for the OS. That being said, you're right in this regard.

As for the rest of your post, you're really reaching. Now you're talking purely visuals, instead of reality. And you're acting like a bump from 720p to 900p or 1080p isn't a big deal. That alone proves the system is a fair bit more powerful than Wii U.

Reallink

Holy shit, NO ONE thought this (ok, I'm sure like two people on GAF thought this). You keep MAKING SHIT UP. You've created this false narrative FOR MONTHS.

People said the system would be a nice boost from Wii U. You took that as people claiming "OMG WE'RE GETTING A PORTABLE PS4!!!". You completely misinterpreted the situation and continue to do so.

Before the January event, there were a lot of posters here speculating about the Switch getting things like FFXV or Mass Effect: Andromeda at launch.

The actual fan fiction narrative was playing with Pascal, # cuda cores, A72/A73's, and clocks, to somewhat believably reach like 700 or 800GFLOPS (maybe up to 1TF docked for the extreme dreamers), which assumed Nvidia's FLOPS are like 30-40% more efficient than AMD, and a more modern architecture, would allow for basically straight Xbone ports. No one was talking about PS4 for sure, but there was a real belief they could effectively match a base Xbone.

Oregano

Wii U only had 1GB for games, Switch has 3.25GB for games.

Look at any consoles launch games and compare them to 2nd or 3rd year games.

ryechu

Hey now, I mean in terms of quality. It might have a Titanfall 2 level campaign or a Battlefront one. We don't know.

No one is saying that it is guaranteed to be a brilliant sequel, but people are saying its rushed garbage. Also lets not pretend like there exists no evidence until we have the game in our hands.

There is more evidence that its a respectful continuation of the brand than a rushed rehash. Sure we certainly we won't have concrete proof of anything until we've played the game. But if that's what you meant then its irrelevant to the issue. The issues is that people who don't know all the confirmed details, put their 2c on how Splatoon 2 is rushed sequel/and or port, typically in order to further some argument about Nintendo's handling of the launch year.

This "opinion" is based on ignorance.

routerbad

Banned
Hopefully we can get the updated information from the Kits that went out in November/December. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, changed.

I'm looking for the thread where Thraktor and z0m3le broke it down and said that they more than likely did a late audible to Pascal when they decided to delay it to Q1 2017.

It's fun to speculate.

Also, these are specs of the July dev units, and we got confirmation that the October/November dev units were upgraded and more powerful.

Zedark

Take the joy cons off, then ask again why this isn't as powerful as a PS4 Pro

vicZPb3l.jpg

Good thing no one asks that.
Switch has 3.25 GB available for devs, the WiiU had 1 GB, so games can use 3.25 times as much RAM on the Switch as on the WiiU.

Top Bottom