• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Totally lost in the tech talk.

As long as I can turn this thing on docked and think "this definitely looks nicer than Wii U" I'll be happy. Does this seem realistic?

Not really interested in undocked performance

Yes, as long as you don't expect anything close to a generational leap. You'll get around the same visual quality as on the Wii U but at higher resolutions, with some extra detail and effects, etc.

jholmes

Oh please. I don't like this off with their heads mentality.

Gamers are incredibly eager for leaks so people/websites start reporting iffy ones, too. Also, other people start leaking fake shit to leakers to get their own piece of the attention.

If you want to stop fake leaks, ban ALL leaks.

Why do we want to defend people reporting fake leaks, exactly? Why not expect people to try to verify things before they go public with them?

Also she threw her one source under the bus so I personally wouldn't defend her one way or the other.

Portable, it's quite close to Wii U. Docked, it's still closer to it than to XB1 in absolute numbers, but more in the middle (and perhaps leaning towards XB1) in terms of relative performance.

So, like, if you made a Switch game it'd be 4k/60. Right? I expect nothing less.

Portable, it's quite close to Wii U. Docked, it's still closer to it than to XB1 in absolute numbers, but more in the middle (and perhaps leaning towards XB1) in terms of relative performance.

Is that taking 2x FP16 performance into account? I know that will differ per game but I recall seeing a developer say something like 70% of code max can be half precision. That and UE4 by default makes heavy use of FP16.

Why do we want to defend people reporting fake leaks, exactly? Why not expect people to try to verify things before they go public with them?

Also she threw her one source under the bus so I personally wouldn't defend her one way or the other.

The bolded never happened. She had always reported that the pricing source was at GAME, she said nothing else about this source after it was proven wrong besides they got it wrong. Which is hard to deny.

Oregano

Even portable though it has 3 times the RAM(though no EDRAM) and the CPU is still stronger(right?).

She made a lot of predictions about the january 13 event, several (many? I didn't keep track) of which turned out to be wrong. People hated her before that already, though, the event was just vindication.
Yeah. The gamer-leaker relationship is so toxic.

I can't think of another market with a similarly harmful dynamic.

Because they're people and not monsters. They don't deserve abuse. They're just reporting on rumours.

Thermodynamics, and the DR on silicon-based electronics, doesn't care about money.

But manpower and know-how.

When Sony pulled out the PSP there was nothing in the market that came close to it. Now you can go to Nvidia and just get a Tegra derivat and call it a day.

dr_rus

Wii U's GPU is based on ATI's TeraScale VLIW5, no? If yes then these flops are seriously different between the two of them.

Vena

But manpower and know-how.

When Sony pulled out the PSP there was nothing in the market that came close to it. Now you can go to Nvidia and just get a Tegra derivat and call it a day.

???

When technology has hit diminishing returns on a physical level, it doesn't matter what money and know-how you throw at it. When Sony released the PSP we weren't in this regime of physics giving your attempts to reach higher performance on smaller die-sizes the bird.

ryechu

Woah there! Just because you disagree does not make it a s***-post.

S/he is quite entitled to their point of view.

Edge Magazine suggested that Super Mario 3D World began life as Super Mario 3D Land 2 for example. That is a valid and legitimate point of view.

And as for producers, of-course a developer's not going to admit that. They'll put a positive spin on it.

That was not a valid or legitimate point of view, no. So the opinion is not entitled to respect.
and Super Mario 3D world IS Super Mario 3D Land 2, so idk what relevance that has. The point of contention is whether or not Splatoon 2 is an enhanced port.

What's happened with Laura Kate Dale, is there a thread that shows the U-Turn?

Short version:

Most of her HW info was correct. Not surprising as she'd typically vetted from several sources.

Lots of her SW/announcement info was incorrect. Kind of surprising given how good her HW info was, but not really that surprising since it couldn't have been as thoroughly vetted.

Zedark

So it reaches 1Ghz in GPU docked... pretty good.

No, the left column shows the theoretical capabilities of the dev kit (probably sporting a Tegra X1 chip). The rightmost column shows the Switch' devlopment targets. As you can see, there are no specific clocks mentioned there, which tells you this leak is pretty old, older than the Eurogamer leak.

Aleh

Why does every Switch thread eventually end up being a discussion on whether Splatoon 2 is a port or a sequel? lol

Effect

Nope, which is why i think there's something else. Well, that and the fact that Wii U games run at 2.25x the resolution on this thing.

This keeps being thrown around, does anyone have a source for it?

There is no source for it. What we have is video of the game being played, seemingly in portable form, at the Japan Switch event. People then are taking stills from those videos (not even the official Nintendo footage but a capture of the stream from another video) and trying to compare them to stills from the retail copies of the various versions of the game. Not even stills from video but screenshots I believe found on sites. Thing is when people started doing that no one was bothering to account for the difference the game would go through when you look at the undocked and docked modes or the age of the build of the Switch version at the time. Some people started stating it was a port of the Vita version as fact. Even then that's highly debatable because the texture work in the Switch version looks closer to the PS4 then the Vita version when it comes to detail, especially when you put the screens shots side by side. The Switch version lacks the particle effects the PS4 has but again that could be because it was running in undocked mode. Some didn't even want to consider that.

???

When technology has hit diminishing returns on a physical level, it doesn't matter what money and know-how you throw at it. When Sony released the PSP we weren't in this regime of physics giving your attempts to reach higher performance on smaller die-sizes the bird.

What are you talking? Just looking at the fast pace of new mobile SoC releases there is no diminishing return right now.

undocked it's pretty much a wiiu, (153 gflops switch vs 176 gflops wiiu) and docked about twice the performance. (384 vs 176 wiiu).

The only issue is that docked performance is really only going to be about getting to a 900-1080p resolution. I suppose they could really target optimizations for docked mode, but it may not be worth the investment in time. They are always going to be optimizing for the lowest common denominator.

platina

Not one game shown looks anything close to xbone exclusives, closer to wii u is right.

Why does every Switch thread eventually end up being a discussion on whether Splatoon 2 is a port or a sequel? lol

Nobody even knows what the fuck the game even is at this point, so arguing either side is completely useless.

Judge/condemn/love/marry the damn thing when it comes out.

Short version:

Most of her HW info was correct. Not surprising as she'd typically vetted from several sources.

Lots of her SW/announcement info was incorrect. Kind of surprising given how good her HW info was, but not really that surprising since it couldn't have been as thoroughly vetted.

That just means she talked to someone with a dev kit. Everything else was pretty much wrong or very easy guessable.

jholmes

The bolded never happened. She had always reported that the pricing source was at GAME, she said nothing else about this source after it was proven wrong besides they got it wrong. Which is hard to deny.

So because she reported something that proved false, she should implicate someone who may or may not face repercussions at his or her job because of it? Why would anyone leak information to someone who does that?

Because they're people and not monsters. They don't deserve abuse. They're just reporting on rumours.

I don't think it's abusive to say the forum should ban untrustworthy sources of news. As far as I'm aware, that's just GAF policy.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
you could still inject an attack with your own wifi/webpage. it's a silly approach IMO.

Thats the amusing thing about the attempt to lock the "browser" down, 10 mins with a squid proxy and a single game that uses the web applet and I could be running whatever the hell I like in that browser, with or without an address bar. It's security by obscurity and easily bypassed by even an amatuer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But... the OP clearly shows that they didn't have any clock speed restrictions in July. That information must have been given later...

That actually makes his point stronger, as in they were given some info in the Fall 2016 that won't be so dramaticly different some months later.

Yes, as long as you don't expect anything close to a generational leap. You'll get around the same visual quality as on the Wii U but at higher resolutions, with some extra detail and effects, etc.

Cool. I'm sure you tech savvy folks are tired of answering the question so thanks for bearing with us!

AmyS

There's that incorrect Wii U number rearing its head again

I agree.

If Wii U's GPU was really 352 Gflops (fp32), even disregarding the older AMD GPU architecture, then Switch in portable mode is considerably less powerful (which I don't believe is actually the case) and Switch while docked is barely more powerful than Wii U (again, I don't believe it). Therefore the 176 Gflop figure for Wii U seems much more believable.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Not one game shown looks anything close to xbone exclusives, closer to wii u is right.

even if it were close to xbone dev's have to target their graphics to be capable in portable mode. that is the biggest and most obvious bottleneck of the switch

I don't think it's abusive to say the forum should ban untrustworthy sources of news. As far as I'm aware, that's just GAF policy.

That's not what I was replying to, though. I replied to your statement below

Kindekuma

Banned
It's a pretty small device with a battery and a screen. Some people expected a ps4 in this form factor smh.

I'm sicked that Nintendo can't cram in a Titan X(Pascal), 32GB of DDR4, an i7 7770K, and a 5K display into a small form factor tablet-like console with a 6.2" display.

Joking aside, I think the Switch specs are pretty respectable. I wonder if the latest NVIDIA chipset would have had any marginal performance gains. I'm sure Nintendo took a look into that idea before setting on Maxwell.

But, you know... It doesn't look any better than the last one, so it's not a real sequal.

The dev says they are working on better graphics now. The game isn't out yet. They probably ported Splatoon 1 to Switch and decided to make more changes. i wouldn't excpect too much, but it should look better when it's released.

We’re working on improving the graphics, but our number one priority is having it run at 60 FPS. I think we definitely need to keep the responsiveness from the first game, so that takes priority during graphics adjustments.

And it will use HD Rumble.

Top Bottom