• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

In all seriousness, the PS4 version didn't look THAT amazing. Not as good as the E3 Demo. I'd imagine the Wii U wouldn't have any difficulties running it at a decent framerate. Even without 8GB OF GDDR5 RAM.

sense

Ubisoft has always considered the Wii U to be next gen I believe, which is rather ridiculous that we would even have to discuss this. Wii U = next gen.

well... they said they are developing the game for high end pc's and next gen and then they mention o wait we have a wii u version which we are porting to by a different team. if they considered everything equal the main team would be working on the wii u version as well.

In an interview with a Dutch game website, Ubisoft's boss Yves Guillemot tells more about the development of Watch Dogs.

It appears that the next-gen and PC-version is developed first, and after that is finished, they'll be looking at how to put it on X360 and PS3.

The quote: "The team is developing it on high end pc's and next gen, after that other teams are looking how they can make it fit for the older generation. So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles."

Interview here (in Dutch).

Other interesting tidbits:
- "Maybe we can show both versions (of Watch Dogs) at E3"
- Rainbow Six: Patriots still in development! "A good team is working on it and they have good ideas. It costs us some time to figure it out and to bring out the right feeling in the game."
- "We're still working on some Vita-games. I can't announce anything yet, but it's coming. The Vita isn't dead to us yet."
if that's true, then one more for the good guys!

In all seriousness, the PS4 version didn't look THAT amazing. Not as good as the E3 Demo. I'd imagine the Wii U wouldn't have any difficulties running it at a decent framerate. Even without 8GB OF GDDR5 RAM.

When did you see the PS4 version, to my knowledge it's not in showable form.

Edit: beaten

Korgill

well... they said they are developing the game for high end pc's and next gen and then they mention o wait we have a wii u version which we are porting to by a different team. if they considered everything equal the main team would be working on the wii u version as well.

I thought the Romanian team was the main team on this one, at least they are working on both the Wii U and PS4 versions.

Effect

So the WiiU version and PS3/360 version are being done by different teams?

As it should be because of the differences in the hardware if Ubisoft is serious about putting out a quality project. The Wii U version should not be held back by the PS3/360 version because the system is more capable them them. Full stop. I hope it's true because the Wii U version will be the only option to me when this comes out and I want a quality experience.

FordGTGuy

Banned
This is really bad news for X360/PS3, hell why not just cancel those versions and go PC and next gen only?

Why would it look bad ? I'm genuinely convinced it will look as good as the PC version if Ubi does not bother too much with the PC port.

No, PCs are always going to be able to push higher resolutions and better AA and other effects.

TheHater

That good considering I will be getting this on the PlayStation 4 anyway :)
I know that very selfish of me, but this gen will die for me after The Last of Us release....oh and maybe GTA 5 if it isn't release on next gen systems

As it should be because of the differences in the hardware if Ubisoft is serious about putting out a quality project. The Wii U version should not be held back by the PS3/360 version because the system is more capable them them. Full stop. I hope it's true because the Wii U version will be the only option to me when this comes out and I want a quality experience.

It will not make sense commercially, since WiiU sales are not that high. I expect that 360/PS3/WiiU ports to be done closely, maybe at the same studio, with a slighty improvement on the WiiU version (maybe just textures). It is not worth to put an extra effort in the WiiU version. Face it, if you want the best Watch Dog experience, you will need a PS4/nextBox/decent PC.

Denur

I found this from the interview also interesting:
Zo zijn we nu al twee a drie jaar bezig met games die bij de lancering aanwezig zijn.

Which translates to:
We've been working for two/three years on games that will be present at launch.

So multiple Ubisoft games will be present at launch. Which could be the other one(s), besides Watch Dogs?

RoKKeR

Damn, if they aren't optimizing for current gen (good news) then those versions will look and play like ass

Honestly, I'm just fine with this. Hopefully it will let them do as much with the game as they want.

sense

Why would it look bad ? I'm genuinely convinced it will look as good as the PC version if Ubi does not bother too much with the PC port.

and to add to that the pc version is probably gonna be delayed a couple of months anyways going by their pc heritage!

Eideka

Banned
No, PCs are always going to be able to push higher resolutions and better AA and other effects.
They can willingly close the gap between the next-gen versions by not allowing PC folks to run it at 1400p for instance.

But they're smarter than that, Ubi know that PC guys are demanding when it comes to port quality. I expect great things from Watch Dogs on PC, it will definitely be a looker.

Maybe "as good" but it wont look better than the PC version. Let's just wait and see who is right
If they handle the PC SKU decently the PS4 version will lag behind most likely, perhaps shadows will be of higher quality on PC along with refined effects.

I'm just wondering what will be the "high performance specs" for this game. Supposedly the PC version is being developped with 2012 PC hardware in mind, so a GTX680 class GPU should do just fine at high settings.

FordGTGuy

Banned
They can willingly close the gap between the next-gen versions by not allowing PC folks to run it at 1400p for instance.

But they're smarter than that, Ubi know that PC guys are demanding when it comes to port quality. I expect great things from Watch Dogs on PC, it will definitely be a looker.

Well they can try but most restricted popular games usually always end up with work arounds.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I thought the Romanian team was the main team on this one, at least they are working on both the Wii U and PS4 versions.

According to their Facebook page it is implied that they work also on the PS4 version, although I don't think they are the main studio on that.

Eideka

Banned
From Software went further and locked their game at 720p, that didn't last long though.

Of course I'm not seriously implying they will go as far as this, but it's to be expected at the beginning of the new generation that the differences between the PC and console versions will be fairly minimal. Given that KZ Shadow Fall runs at 1080p I assume WD on PS4 will do too.

raven777

So its UBI soft Montreal making PC version and working with PS4 and 720version, and Romania porting it to WiiU and PS3, 360.

or Montreal just making PC version and Romania working with WiiU, PS4,720,PS3 and 360?

spock

Given the timing and hoopla the next gen systems will have during the holiday season it makes sense. I'm looking at the wiiU version personally. I think tablet has more potential to add to the game then a graphics bump given what we've seen so far.

kfpkiller

So its UBI soft Montreal making PC version and working with PS4 and 720version, and Romania porting it to WiiU and PS3, 360.

or Montreal just making PC version and Romania working with WiiU, PS4,720,PS3 and 360?

It's right in the OP
"The team is developing it on high end pc's and next gen, after that other teams are looking how they can make it fit for the older generation"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it is not just one studio involved in this. I think at list Montreal and Bucharest are working together for the game, PC + next gen consoles.

No word yet on who is working on the PS360.

Top Bottom